Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Star Citizer: Cock Blocked

his nibs fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Drunk Theory posted:

Bug report. Cry for help. No difference.

I have no ticket and I must stream.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-02-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier-quietly-announces-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-rts

Interestingly Frontier is still building games. Though not space games specifically.

quote:

Frontier insisted it's in a strong position, with a debt-free balance sheet and cash of around £40m. As a result, it does not expect to use Government employment support or apply for grants during the coronavirus crisis.

So CIG has a full balance sheet of debt at the tune of -$300m?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Okay,

Star Citizer: Sunk Cost Phallusy

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Sub is still heavily in the meme stage of grief

This one wins though

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

no_recall posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-02-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier-quietly-announces-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-rts

Interestingly Frontier is still building games. Though not space games specifically.

So CIG has a full balance sheet of debt at the tune of -$300m?

Frontier don't understand game development.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Agony Aunt posted:

Keep funding backers! Only 15 more years to go!

Star Citizen: Backalowda

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I can't stop thinking of the phrase 'Corn Crobbled'. I mutter it to myself sometimes when something goes wrong, or even when they don't. Corn Crobbled. Crobbled.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Crobbled corn is best corn. Buy an Idris

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
My favourite snacc tho is the magical Crobbledog™ with its inescapable gravitational field

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

henpod posted:

I can't stop thinking of the phrase 'Corn Crobbled'. I mutter it to myself sometimes when something goes wrong, or even when they don't. Corn Crobbled. Crobbled.

There are tons of phrases that have stuck with me. The curse of this tire fire will live on in my vocabulary forever.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

There are tons of phrases that have stuck with me. The curse of this tire fire will live on in my vocabulary forever.

My wife now regularly says that someone was Cryrekt if they somehow spectacularly eat poo poo, like a disfiguring accident or something. It's pretty dark, but everything related to this debacle is, if you look closely.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kosumo posted:

Frontier don't understand game development.

Yeah, imagine them, doing a kickstarter and releasing a game and going on to make a profit. Rank amateurs!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair Frontier understands game development but they're not good at game design either. Just not quite as awful as Chris' Clown Emporium.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

My wife now regularly says that someone was Cryrekt if they somehow spectacularly eat poo poo, like a disfiguring accident or something. It's pretty dark, but everything related to this debacle is, if you look closely.

Yeah, in a way that sorta gives me a chuckle. They spread like a slow coronavirus amongst family and co-workers.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, in a way that sorta gives me a chuckle. They spread like a slow coronavirus amongst family and co-workers.

Star Citizen has produced more memes and jokes than game content. Like, several thousand times. Nothing about the game is noteworthy at all, but you could teach a master's level class on all their catastrophic and over-the-top gently caress-ups and the insane pathological personalities of everyone in charge of this scam. The game is barely a background setting.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God I'm so tired of the "They have to implement persisteeeeeeeence" excuse for everything. Guess what, morons! You have no idea what persistence means!

:reddit: "They have to make it so that wrecks persist longer than 3 seconds after ship destruction. Got to get persistence in."

That is a despawn timer. You're talking about a program variable that should take a minute to set. Persistence refers to character data like player position and ship status lasting from one login to the next. The only conceivable tie between server persistence and salvage that I can think of is that maybe a destroyed player ship should stick around after the player logs off, except of course that would cause all kinds of enormous memory leaks.

In reality, salvage isn't making it into the game because:

* Making shipwrecks not despawn would cause the server to keel over and die as it filled up with a billion wrecks
* They'd have to add salvage missions or retool existing recovery missions to make the existing static wreck models salvageable
* Spaceships have no parts to strip because they never really designed that
* The game engine was not built for and can't handle disassembling the ship models in any way that would look good
* There's no place to sell the stripped parts
* It's not like you can repair other ships so there's nothing to do with the stripped parts
* They didn't think any of this through

The only thing you're ever going to get is "Shoot a laser at a destroyed ship and your hold fills up with raw minerals, but not very many." It will be a different form of mining. gently caress you if you bought in thinking they spent any time on this at all.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

gently caress you if you bought in thinking they spent any time on this at all.

On the contrary, I'm very sure they've spent an extraordinary amount of time thinking about it.

But have they spent any time actually implementing the systems needed to make salvage anywh-hahahahhahahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahaaa.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

orcane posted:

To be fair Frontier understands game development but they're not good at game design either. Just not quite as awful as Chris' Clown Emporium.

As much as i love ED for some aspects of the game (galaxy simulation, ships, flight/combat model), their design decisions in other areas just boggles my mind. Fleet Carriers just made me facepalm and almost makes me want to just give up on the game. Offline running costs? GTFO! Contrary to what some might think, i do have a life outside of gaming. For a start, shitposting here!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

God I'm so tired of the "They have to implement persisteeeeeeeence" excuse for everything. Guess what, morons! You have no idea what persistence means!

:reddit: "They have to make it so that wrecks persist longer than 3 seconds after ship destruction. Got to get persistence in."

That is a despawn timer. You're talking about a program variable that should take a minute to set. Persistence refers to character data like player position and ship status lasting from one login to the next. The only conceivable tie between server persistence and salvage that I can think of is that maybe a destroyed player ship should stick around after the player logs off, except of course that would cause all kinds of enormous memory leaks.

* Making shipwrecks not despawn would cause the server to keel over and die as it filled up with a billion wrecks
* They'd have to add salvage missions or retool existing recovery missions to make the existing static wreck models salvageable
* The game engine was not built for and can't handle disassembling the ship models in any way that would look good
* It's not like you can repair other ships so there's nothing to do with the stripped parts

The only thing you're ever going to get is "Shoot a laser at a destroyed ship and your hold fills up with raw minerals, but not very many." It will be a different form of mining. gently caress you if you bought in thinking they spent any time on this at all.

FUD! We've seen bugs how ship parts can spawn on a person, thus proving ship parts are in!

Now all they need is the pipelines to make those parts salvagable. Its surely coming soon!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Persistence is a ten year wedding anniversary.

Salvage is living your dream of being a Hollywood actress though your children.

Idris is a ship that to many goons have brought and now our fleet is poorly balanced.

Buy a Javelin.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Agony Aunt posted:

Offline running costs

Are you loving kidding me? I wasn't really going to play E:D again anyway, but now I'm not going to play it twice as hard

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
ED is a textbook example of making the most incredible piece of gaming software ever made into a soul destroying, joyless game

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So we've made a 1 to 1 replica of our galaxy in a game, where you can...
Read menus
gently caress around with minutia
Do busy work collecting shite
Waste your time, all the time
Get punished for playing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Persistence is spending a couple thousand bucks year after year hoping the groundwork for the pipelines is finally set in place for the content to flow out faster than ever.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't know if PC Gamer was a magazine that dropped sick burns on CIG once in a while, but this one is pretty good re: FDev and game design:

quote:

Frontier is also an interesting choice of developer for this genre. The RTS is a deeply systems-driven genre, requiring precise balances and well-made basic game functions to succeed. [...] Frontier isn’t known for systems-driven design, rather focusing on customization and visual flash over strategic depth. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.
from https://www.pcgamer.com/a-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-rts-is-coming-from-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier/

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Agony Aunt posted:

*gasp* An open letter! I'm sure that will get the devs to change their scurrulous ways!

They are going to be doing a "Town Hall" on Discord on May 10.
I am amazed by the amount of hot air disgruntled gamers blow. Evolving from walls of text on a forum through bigger walls of text in an open letter to Serious Discussion in an online meeting with developers.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Persistence is spending a couple thousand bucks year after year hoping the groundwork for the pipelines is finally set in place for the content to flow out faster than ever.

The fact that the PTU has been out for like 5 years now and they still haven't managed to achieve "You can log back in at the same place you logged out" consistently is really all you need to know about Star Citizen. The fact that they've spun their inability to do this piss easy foundation-level work as the main delay behind every other piece of the project for five years running and Citizens are actually totally cool with that, is all you need to know about the fan base.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What even happened to Infinity Battlescape? I backed that and could probably playtest the beta/early access version, but I kinda forgot about it completely (I have enough of a backlog without trying betas nowadays). They were pretty good about informing people about their progress up to the alpha release, IIRC, and since then I barely heard anything about the game.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

orcane posted:

I don't know if PC Gamer was a magazine that dropped sick burns on CIG once in a while, but this one is pretty good re: FDev and game design:

from https://www.pcgamer.com/a-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-rts-is-coming-from-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier/

Not so much a burn on Frontier but a simple statement of fact. Not only are RTS passed their peak but also Frontier does not know how to make them. Odd choice indeed.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gd3hvy/a_spicy_question/

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

The fact that the PTU has been out for like 5 years now and they still haven't managed to achieve "You can log back in at the same place you logged out" consistently is really all you need to know about Star Citizen. The fact that they've spun their inability to do this piss easy foundation-level work as the main delay behind every other piece of the project for five years running and Citizens are actually totally cool with that, is all you need to know about the fan base.

To be fair, figuring out how to have your character spawn at the place where you logged out is never seen before tech and, one sec, let me input this pass

ODDISH TAUROS
MEWTWO VULPIX

Hey, I am back at Brinstar, just where I left!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

orcane posted:

What even happened to Infinity Battlescape? I backed that and could probably playtest the beta/early access version, but I kinda forgot about it completely (I have enough of a backlog without trying betas nowadays). They were pretty good about informing people about their progress up to the alpha release, IIRC, and since then I barely heard anything about the game.

They went Early Access last year, on Steam.
I got what seemed like a complete game for my 35 euros of backing, although rough around the edges. But apparently they are still changing it and adding to it. It's been half a year since I last played it. Back then, I considered it like an Overwatch in space: two sides trying to take or defend a point. But more slow paced and stretched out.
I got a bit lost on the controls for the bigger ships that you can buy with the credits you get for shooting stuff.

Between backing and its launch four years later, I found out that my taste is more towards games where I collect stuff than shoot stuff, so it didn't stick with me.

That long thread on their forum (https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/community-and-i-novae-an-open-letter/19924/29) seems to be Citizen-like: hopes, dreams, expectations and wishes. In stead of just taking the game for what it is.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Foo Diddley posted:

Are you loving kidding me? I wasn't really going to play E:D again anyway, but now I'm not going to play it twice as hard

Nope. You can store credits on your FC (it won't take credits from your main balance to pay for itself) and it will use those to pay for its running costs while you are offline. When the money runs out, then you get some sort of grace period, after which, you lose the fleet carrier, its sold for a fraction of what you paid for it, and you are billions of credits out of pocket.

So keep playing and paying or lose it.

Absoloutely tragic game design. And people are supporting it. I just can't get my head around that.

Thing is, it will cost you a billion or so a year just to keep one, not to mention additional costs of making the drat thing travel (fuel and additional maintainance costs).

I so thought Fleet Carriers would be an awsome addition to exploration. Taking a fleet carrier out into the black with my fleet of ships, possibly staying out there effectively for as long as i wanted. Oh no, FD totally kyboshed that idea. They initially were not even going to add universal cartographics to it, meaning explorers would have had no way to make money while exploring in one.

And here is the icing on the cake. Fleet Carriers won't even work as a fleet carrier for the owner unless you buy one of the most expensive additional extras (a shipyard). That's right, fleet carriers are not even fleet carriers unless you pay extra (which also adds to the ongoing maintaince costs).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
FDev and forum dads are the worst.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Persistence is a ten year wedding anniversary.

Salvage is living your dream of being a Hollywood actress though your children.

Idris is a ship that to many goons have brought and now our fleet is poorly balanced.

Buy a Javelin.

Every time I say I buy an Idiris it's actually a completionist package because I like to donate the maximum amount to CIG as much and as often as I can.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Absoloutely tragic game design. And people are supporting it. I just can't get my head around that.

People who play the particular niche of space truck simulators are masochistic morons. It comes with the territory.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

As we've clearly seen, databases are hard. Usually full of smeg.

It's really astonishing that CIG can even let you log in sometimes.

I'm looking forward to when CR invents "saving your game" or can store the last position of your character in the game database without screwing it up. :allears:

But this is hard stuff. Let's just figure out emote animations and general CryEngine technology like "shooting a handheld gun and reloading it" which, in a space game about space ships (supposedly) is a real tough thing to do in an FPS environment made inside an FPS engine.

Baby steps girls and boys. Baby steps. Think of those hard working devs, especially the guy with all the broken wrists from bike accidents who is the key guy in the 600+ staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

I suspect there are other studios who could do a whole lot if they could just license Elite's engine+universe simulation and then replaced a bunch of the grind with more fun activities.