Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Defiance Industries posted:

Or it makes Rasalhague the stupidest for thinking they could win against men the size of a car.

The planet itself was undefended but a football coach thought they could win because he bet the Clans wouldn't know what football was.

He didn't know about Da Bears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It might have been in the Battletech thread in Games or the maybe even the Discord, but I remember seeing something about a tabletop RPG being developed that was currently in beta. The last bit of info I was able to find was from last year, has there been any other news about it?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They released a 'beta' of it to Kickstarter supporters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's called MechWarrior: Destiny if that helps look it up.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Awesome, thank you!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
When you think about it, isn't MechWarrior basically a looter shooter???

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
looks like the reverse leg stalker is now the canon stalker.

and its lookin' good

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I just realized I never posted a picture of my Dragon's Fury lance.

I'm really proud of that Locust's base!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Cross-posting, just for fun!

In addition to the original four three HISS tanks I painted (plus one Red Shadows Hyena):

I've added a pair of snow snakes Arctic HISS:

Someone lamented the lack of a tiny Major Bludd, so he (and tiny Cobra Commander) got HISS tanks of their own!

Just for size comparison:

And another shot of the whole squadron:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cutest little tanks :3:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got my “Game of Armored Combat” box set today. How hard would it be to introduce the game to people that have never done any tabletop stuff ever with just that set? Going to be bringing it to a slow ambulance shift and my medic partner said he’d be down for a game but he’s never played so much as a game of D and D in the 80’s.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Got my “Game of Armored Combat” box set today. How hard would it be to introduce the game to people that have never done any tabletop stuff ever with just that set? Going to be bringing it to a slow ambulance shift and my medic partner said he’d be down for a game but he’s never played so much as a game of D and D in the 80’s.

If you understand the rules then that helps a massive amount. I have been trying to figure this out for 6 months on my own and I don't know that I know how to play correctly. Having someone who can explain it would help a lot.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

If you understand the rules then that helps a massive amount. I have been trying to figure this out for 6 months on my own and I don't know that I know how to play correctly. Having someone who can explain it would help a lot.

Do you have MegaMek?

Lackloss
May 8, 2008
Yeah, I'm certain many of us on the thread would be willing to run you through them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrPop posted:

Do you have MegaMek?

Yes, but I haven't really had a chance to go through it and figure it out.

Lackloss posted:

Yeah, I'm certain many of us on the thread would be willing to run you through them

Would like this a lot.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The heart of the game is pretty simple--2D6 plus consult charts--so yeah, I think it would be easy to teach with the base set. And the D&D relevance is pretty much zero: it's a sci-fi themed board game that happened to have a bunch of RPG stuff tacked on afterwards, so a lack there isn't harming anything.

I'd be more than happy to help you out. As I wrote the rulebook for that box, you'd give me the opportunity to see where I failed, and it might help being able to yell at the person responsible for any misery. Might even improve future printings.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 2, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xotl posted:

it's a sci-fi themed board game that happened to have a bunch of RPG stuff tacked on afterwards, so a lack there isn't harming anything.

I don't know if I'd say it's tacked on. It has a lot of the granularity you see in RPGs, and the rules like to make roleplaying a part of the solution to mechanical issues (Clantech, FM gear, MD advantages, iATMs...)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What's FM gear? And what kind of self-restraint do you have to exercise with iATMs - just not using them in a competitive/point balanced setting?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

What's FM gear?

Gear from the Field Manuals, which was initially restricted only to specific factions. Beats actually testing the RAC+TC combo, right?

General Battuta posted:

And what kind of self-restraint do you have to exercise with iATMs - just not using them in a competitive/point balanced setting?

iATMs are like the Nova CEWS. They're absolute horseshit but explained with "oh those are dishonorable Society tech, no Clan would EVER use those again." And then shuffled off into a region that they weren't planning on touching for at least another decade. Still outrageously broken gear, but you're not "supposed" to use them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Clantech is definitely not at a major advantage when it's actually balanced by something like BV. Neither are "FM Gear" which have all been pretty freely available for almost 15 years.

Manei Domini and iATMs have way more room to complain on that front, but even so in at least MD's case the bigger problem was making them available to players at all instead of keeping the Word the designated NPC bad guys. I don't think that was ever really practical given BattleTech's player base but I'm pretty sure that was at least partially the reasoning.

iATMs are definitely broken under BV, because they have the same BV as regular ATMs but are much better. NOVA, on the other hand, pays BV out the rear end for the privilege.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Clantech is definitely not at a major advantage when it's actually balanced by something like BV.

Yes, Clantech is the reason they've invented three different balancing systems. Because when they introduced it, they asked players to roleplay away the game imbalances, since Combat Value wouldn't be introduced for another three years.

In summary, if you feel the need to tag gear with "only these guys use this and they would only use it in this way" maybe don't put it in the game in the first place

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech is a game that can't be balanced without tearing it down to the foundation and building an entirely new game. Balance wasn't a consideration when it was first developed and balancing after the fact would require changing the numbers which has happened a grand total of no times in the game's history.

As long all parties at the table are aware you're using something and everyone feels safe saying "No, I don't want to fight against your Turkina-Z tonight" then there aren't any problems. Play it for fun and play with all the toys you want to play with. Then again, I'm probably the only person on the entire internet whose favorite era is 3145, because it finally seems like the line developers are having fun with the setting again. :allears:

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech is a game that can't be balanced without tearing it down to the foundation and building an entirely new game. Balance wasn't a consideration when it was first developed and balancing after the fact would require changing the numbers which has happened a grand total of no times in the game's history.

I wouldn't say "no" times. They've changed weapons before. Infernos; MGs vs. infantry.

I don't know if they made record sheets out of TRO:3050 before retconning the fractional accounting, so I don't know if they've actually retconned record sheets, but they definitely changed several of those designs after their initial publication. That lost half-ton kind of ruined the elegance of the original Timber Wolf-A and -D in particular.

There's the Clan "standard weapons" which were mentioned in TRO:3050 and then never seen. There are quad rules, which changed how existing designs worked.

I agree that the modus operandi has always been tinkering around the edges, not making major changes, but it's not like there's zero precedent to change weapons or designs.

(Put me in the "tear down and rebuild" camp, by the way. Lack of balance being just one reason.)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They've done a number of changes including how AMS works, some of the additional modifiers that came out of the experimental rules into the main set of rules. The MASSIVE change to vehicle hits/crits, etc..

As Carbolic mentions quads got changed and the initial version of them still had the front legs following the arms rules for armor, leaving them oddly fragile.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Yes, Clantech is the reason they've invented three different balancing systems. Because when they introduced it, they asked players to roleplay away the game imbalances, since Combat Value wouldn't be introduced for another three years.

In summary, if you feel the need to tag gear with "only these guys use this and they would only use it in this way" maybe don't put it in the game in the first place

Sir it's 2020 you can stop living in 1989.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Taerkar posted:

They've done a number of changes including how AMS works, some of the additional modifiers that came out of the experimental rules into the main set of rules. The MASSIVE change to vehicle hits/crits, etc..

Oh yeah, I forgot AMS, that's probably the biggest example of completely changing how a piece of equipment works. I think they tinkered with things like ECM and how it affects Artemis, C3, etc. although that was always pretty technical.

There's also flamers inflicting heat which used to be optional-only, and the changes to how effective weapons are against infantry.

I'll concede that none of this fundamentally challenges PTN's point which is that truly fixing balance issues will require changes to the game on a scale which unfortunately there does not seem to be any taste for.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

The biggest rule change was shifting the front firing arc back a hex. It's still a drop in the bucket necessary to make BattleTech a balanced, 'competitive' wargame. But you don't need balance to have fun, so that's always going to be my suggestion. Would it be better if the game was balanced? Sure. Do I mind having a few units that are broken enough I can use them as bosses in my Republic of the Sphere Paranoia/Alpha Strike game? Not at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

the changes to how effective weapons are against infantry.

Making your men no longer walk single-file to hide their numbers die 15 at a time to a Gauss slug was a change I really appreciated.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

I don't know if I'd say it's tacked on. It has a lot of the granularity you see in RPGs, and the rules like to make roleplaying a part of the solution to mechanical issues (Clantech, FM gear, MD advantages, iATMs...)

Sure, but all that stuff came later. If you have a copy of the base box sets (which the new guy does), all that deeper lore-based stuff is floating around out there on the edges, but isn't relevant if you're just starting out. At its heart, it's board game. Its great strength is that it became more than that, but it doesn't have to be more than that to be enjoyed. You certainly don't need to be grounded in the RPG world to get into BT.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I know the old starter box sculpt is doing it no favors, but I forgot how goofy the JagerMech looks.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I know the old starter box sculpt is doing it no favors, but I forgot how goofy the JagerMech looks.

At the very least, the sculpt makes it look under-armored.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The sculpts may be bad, but assuming that was the box from like 5 years ago, it at least had the loving awesome foldable card maps. Probably the nicest maps I've ever used.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the old box set minis get by on basically "quantity is a *kind* of quality" and giving you enough for two companies of units.

like half of them look fine after some painting anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there anything new yet on the Phase 1 kickstarter sets ever actually shipping?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I said come in! posted:

Is there anything new yet on the Phase 1 kickstarter sets ever actually shipping?

They're still on track for July after Covid shut down their factories.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Then again, I'm probably the only person on the entire internet whose favorite era is 3145, because it finally seems like the line developers are having fun with the setting again. :allears:

:same:

TBH i first enjoyed it because it seemed like with superheavies and drone mechs someone was trying to innovate the concept of a mech for the first time in 600 years...
That and republics rule monarchies drool.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They're still on track for July after Covid shut down their factories.

Note that July was the month given from the factory to get something to CGL. As they also say in the same update, "once we get the product, we are at least another three weeks to deliver Wave 1."

So August is the minimum unless something breaks in their favour.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, please click the link below and consider participating in my little charity event. We're all bored in lockdown right now so I thought we might be able to channel that into something a little more productive. I will be donating money to a food bank for every model completed in the next couple of months. All you have to do to participate is post pictures of your models though other options will be available for those who'd like to do more. It is somewhat focused on 28mm stuff, but there are other categories available and if your models aren't represented, just let me know and we can work something out.

Full details in the thread, click the banner below to find out more:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I know this thread is mostly for the wargame/boardgame. But anyone have good pointers for a ruleset for running an RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The official ones are okay: MechWarrior 2nd edition is fun--breakable, but easily fixed in that regard, and reasonably popular with those willing to track down a cheap used copy. A Time of War (effectively 4th edition) is good only if you like crunch and can stand its lack of layout polish (seriously, while the rules themselves are fine for what they intend to do, thanks to a beta and a second printing that added errata, the ordering of a lot of the material really reflects the rush job the book ultimately was); the general advice is use the second, much simpler version of character creation if you go for this one. But again, quite crunchy for many. There's a brand new official one in the works right now (and out in beta) called MechWarrior Destiny. It goes the complete opposite direction, towards a rules-light full narrative RPG. As that's not my thing at all, I can't really tell you anything about it (and besides, still beta).

In terms of what else to adopt, I don't have any specific suggestions (okay, I know Hero works because I've run a Mechwarrior game with it for years, but this board really doesn't do older crunch). I'd suggest something that takes into account the basic human-only nature of the Battletech universe. That is, since your range of physical and mental possibilities is rooted firmly in the human, a game that assumes a wider range of power (and thus compresses the available stat and/or range to take into account this greater sweep of overall capability) may fail when being adapted to BT's comparatively narrow human ranges (e.g. giving you "strong human" and "weak human" as your two strength options). If I was to ever make another conversion, simple as it is I'd be tempted to try Star Wars D6, actually....

I see some conversions attempt to also emulate mech-scale combat. I say you do you, but there's already a perfectly good mech combat system that does that already, called Battletech, and a game that tries to model both the individual and the mech usually fails at at least one.