Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

Another translated quote from the Ultimania says they actually are considering doing more frequent, but shorter, sequels

"If we divide the story into large parts, it’ll take longer to make," he said. "If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster.

"I hope to release the next one ASAP."

I hope they adjust the price of the releases accordingly but who am I kidding, I'll pay whatever they ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I would hope if they do that it'll be like, a $30 game every two years instead of a $60 every four

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The real twist of the game is that we've been playing as Zack the whole time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rhonne posted:

The real twist of the game is that we've been playing as Zack the whole time.

thats cloud

he's been playing as zack for years

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
A lunchbox fell from the plate and hit Zack in the head just as he was staggering into town and thinking about Clouds haircut. Awakening with explosive amnesia, his tattered psyche constructed a new persona as a carefree chocobo breeder and racer, and he wandered back out into the world to fulfill his totally lifelong ambition...

A shitload of bird eugenics.

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

precision posted:

Another translated quote from the Ultimania says they actually are considering doing more frequent, but shorter, sequels

"If we divide the story into large parts, it’ll take longer to make," he said. "If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster.

"I hope to release the next one ASAP."

I just want it in three parts, just like the 3 discs. If possible. All these smaller episodes are not looking good because how can I go back and revisit the previous areas?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Given how much of the team has talked about wanting to maintain that feeling of the world opening up after you leave Midgar, I don't think they're necessarily going to settle on "more frequent, smaller releases" because there's no way they could really accomplish that. That might be Nomura's preference, or at least it was at the time of the interview, but we don't really know what the rest of the leads think or what they're actually going to do.

Personally I'm still hoping it'll be three parts, maybe four at the absolute most. If it's three parts and the next two take like four years each, but they're longer, have lots of open areas to explore, and cover significant parts of the original story (with some additions, most likely), that'd be perfectly fine with me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Harrow brought this up one of the last times that quote was mentioned, but I really hope they keep the next few games to a minimum. I don't want it to turn into video game Marvel movies, where there are like a dozen of them and eventually I stopped watching cause I got tired. Actually, thinking about it, the same drat thing has happened to Kingdom Hearts, where there was like ten games until they decided to just cut two of the games in the collections and make them movie cutscenes instead.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The thought of this not being finished a decade from now is loving bleak, but it's definitely possible.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm hoping the Zack stuff is just them showing the opportunities presented by the ending, and they release DLC "what if" scenarios that allow them to reuse environments in each installment, telling a parallel but optional story.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they go with more frequent smaller releases, the issue of gameplay progression comes up as well. I could foresee with, like, 3-4 big releases them just handwaving it away and resetting you back to blizzard/fire/thunder with each one, but if you get more granular than that...

I am still leaning towards the possibility that smaller chapters could end up as DLC attached to a main game

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Zack will save Aerith in his reality by getting stabbed and that will be how you "save" Aerith in the prime reality - by bringing that one over. You'll have saved Aerith but not the one that knows everybody/loves Cloud.

What I think will probably happen is that Sephiroth will actually join the party this time around. And then he'll help them find an egg shaped materia. Then when clould and co get past the snowboarding section in the norther crater's summit, they'll use egg shaped "time activator" which will let them zip through time to the point where Aerith dies and swap her with it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If they go with more frequent smaller releases, the issue of gameplay progression comes up as well. I could foresee with, like, 3-4 big releases them just handwaving it away and resetting you back to blizzard/fire/thunder with each one, but if you get more granular than that...

I am still leaning towards the possibility that smaller chapters could end up as DLC attached to a main game

Yeah I think when it comes down to it, making a series of short JRPGs just won't feel satisfying. It's just not a genre that lends itself to that sort of structure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
all optional sidequests you have to go exploring for in the original are DLC now

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

precision posted:

Yeah, I would hope if they do that it'll be like, a $30 game every two years instead of a $60 every four

That's only going to happen if the game won't sell otherwise, which :lol:

But By "smaller" I am more thinking he means roughly similar in length to this game, as opposed to much longer. At the pace this game has set out with it being a 30 hour game, the whole game could be 150 hours, meaning that the second and third in the trilogy , if it were kept to a trilogy, would have to be much longer than this game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nail Rat posted:

That's only going to happen if the game won't sell otherwise, which :lol:

But By "smaller" I am more thinking he means roughly similar in length to this game, as opposed to much longer. At the pace this game has set out with it being a 30 hour game, the whole game could be 150 hours, meaning that the second and third in the trilogy , if it were kept to a trilogy, would have to be much longer than this game.

My hope is that future games won't have filler like the second sewer chapter or the tunnel to Wall Market. This time around they set themselves a hard limit in terms of content. They only had Midgar to play with and had to squeeze a full length game out of it. Assuming they don't do something stupid like end the second game in Junon they won't have that restriction and will be able to pace things a little better.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
personally I hope that they put in so much filler that the second game ends with you arriving at Junon

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Bleck posted:

personally I hope that they put in so much filler that the second game ends with you arriving at Junon

Second game is just the Kalm flashback for 40 hours

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Veib posted:

Second game is just the Kalm flashback for 40 hours

oh my god the second game can just be a remaKE OF CRISIS CORE

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SYNYJec4lg&t=355s

This is perphaps my favorite moment of the remake. It's just 10 seconds and it's super simple, yet also very powerful and works on a lot of levels.

For the original, it reinforces the fact that Tifa never had any resentment towards Aerith (something AC failed to understand)

For the remakes, it's an important moment for Aerith who is afraid of being left alone, and it's the first reaffirming push she gets towards challenging her fate that might eventually lead to her surviving.

All of the character interactions in this game feel very organic when they could have easily accidentally slipped into fanservice-y and I just love it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

(something AC failed to understand)

friendly reminder that the movie was written by the same people who wrote the game

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bleck posted:

friendly reminder that the movie was written by the same people who wrote the game

I know, maybe I expressed wrong and it would been more correct to say something they failed to continue to work upon? And even if AC was written by the same people, there is no denying that there has been some external pressure on the decision making regarding FF7 for a long while that caused certain characters like Cloud turning into a constipated emo and Aerith into the fairy godmother and that is not present on the remake so far at least.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 4, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The same guy wrote and directed A New Hope and the prequels, creators don't necessarily understand their own works afterwards

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Veib posted:

The same guy wrote and directed A New Hope and the prequels, creators don't necessarily understand their own works afterwards

if you don't think the prequels are a direct thematic throughline through the originals then you probably don't actually get what the originals were about, but that's a thing for another thread

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RatHat posted:

https://twitter.com/istanleyff7/status/1256417905786281990?s=20

This interview does seem to confirm that it’s a different timeline. How or why this happens is speculation at this point though.

Still concerned they're doing this by the seat of their pants, but that's a good sign. They can do something like how suikoden 3 split your parties for the first half of the game. Then the fun starts as the timelines comes together and hey it's zack and woah another cloud??

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Predicting now that Cloud’s mental break and subsequent reconstruction will somehow involve alternate timeline Cloud.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It does make considerable sense that star wars prequel liking would correlate strongly with advent children liking

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bleck posted:

if you don't think the prequels are a direct thematic throughline through the originals then you probably don't actually get what the originals were about, but that's a thing for another thread

Oh dear god its 2012 again.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Bleck posted:

They made it bad on purpose. As a joke!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I honestly am worried by the combination of 1) them saying they don't have what they want to do fully mapped out, 2) that they are looking to online responses as they are developing, and 3) that so many people on those online platforms are taking multiverse / timeline fuckery as a given, often while yelling "Nomura!!!"

Any one of those on their own would be nothing but together they could be a cascade

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't believe anything the developers say in interviews because they're probably full of poo poo and/or already know much more than they're willing to let on.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

It does make considerable sense that star wars prequel liking would correlate strongly with advent children liking

advent children is not a good movie but the most popular criticism of it is "the characters act differently than I expected them to based on my own [incorrect] perceptions of them" which is a stupid thing to think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Advent Children is about as good as a movie sequel to FF7 could have been. It's not a concept with a lot of promise.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They made Barret an oil baron

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Either die a hero

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

Advent Children is about as good as a movie sequel to FF7 could have been. It's not a concept with a lot of promise.

It features all of the characters throwing Cloud into the air one by one so that he can hit a massive dragon at mach speed with the power of friendship. It's the best.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly Advent Children was worth it just for the gag with Rude's ringtone

He has the same ringtone in 7R

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh my goodness Aerith's VA played the game too :3: :3: :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The reasoning for most people who are upset over the ending pretty much boils down to "Square lied and I want my money back", which is dumb as gently caress.

Yes and she's fuckin great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1253886545032957952