Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Mayor Dave posted:

My city closed all the hiking trails because people couldn't stay far enough away from each other

mine closed the ones my gf and i use to frequent a lot as well

now we drive about 45 minutes outside of the city to a remote trail for our day hikes and will probably keep that trail in our rotation since it's also at a much higher altitude and change of scenery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I want to speak to this trails manager about why all these chuds aren't taking this seriously

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

lol just lol at people in cspam acting like cspam isn't just a place to complain about stuff

the c stands for ckaren

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

pretty cool that the mass job losses from covid-19 is a uniquely american phenomenon

South Asia is in pretty bad shape and workers are going unpaid as 1st world retailers cancel manufacturing orders. Things will probably become more apparent in time.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

My city closed all the hiking trails because people couldn't stay far enough away from each other

TYRANNY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Today's episode of Dr. Oz is just having people talk about their hallucinations because of COVID-19

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Wait they gave the kid a.c- in PE while the kids is at home and hasn't even seen the teacher in months? WTF

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mayor Dave posted:

Wait they gave the kid a.c- in PE while the kids is at home and hasn't even seen the teacher in months? WTF

a good grade for a kid who never shows up to class

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Mayor Dave posted:

I can see my students grades for their PE classes on our digital gradebook but can't see any context besides their numberic score

every kid in PE this quarter is either getting 100% or is failing somehow lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1257333792789929992

quote:

Carnival Cruise Line announced plans Monday to resume service beginning Aug. 1, despite concerns from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that cruise ship travel “exacerbates the global spread of Covid-19.”
Carnival Cruise Line, which is owned by Carnival Corp., said it advised travel agents on Monday that eight of its ships will return to service on Aug. 1. Three of its ships will set sail from Galveston, Texas, the company said, and three others will sail from Miami. The company said two of its ships will sail from Port Canaveral, Florida.

“We are committed to supporting all public health efforts to manage the Covid-19 situation,” the company said in a statement. “We are taking a measured approach, focusing our return to service on a select number of homeports where we have more significant operations that are easily accessible by car for the majority of our guests.”

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Well, did you give them weed?

only the ones with good trail stories. which meant only the first few because they were all basically hiking together for months

also fyi it is serious motherfuckin tick season. i've been finding one on me or the dog basically every other day the last couple weeks

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

the lockdown syllabus for phys ed is post your kid on hot or not and convert their score to a letter grade

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Whoops - double post.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Woofer posted:

brb guys imma go on this trail ride and complain about everyone else that is there

-Karen, probably.

when you can't tell the difference between a parade on public streets and a cycling trail

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hell yes relaunch the plague ships

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Woofer posted:

brb guys imma go on this trail ride and complain about everyone else that is there

-Karen, probably.

complaining about stuff is fun tho

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1257335077459165185

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

yeah i know but you can make more than most workers will in a lifetime in that short period.

Minimum salary sticker price looks great, but after top-bracket taxes (which can include a mid-to-high single digit percentage bump in some states for entertainer taxes), manager/agent fees (low-to-mid double digits), union dues, and big-city living expenses, it’s not great even if you make it to four years ( pension starts at 10 iirc). Add that to the fact that any pro player was told by his college athletic program to take the easiest major possible with no-show credits or better yet, going into the draft after junior year and boom, you have a (likely) physically and mentally disabled (about a 10% chance every year in addition to seven/eight years of accumulating injuries in hs and college) high school grad with no work experience but a few hundred k in the bank. that’s if he makes it to four years (an average with its upper bound drug pretty high by 18-year kickers and qbs who won’t die) and doesn’t get a career-ending concussion in his first preseason game AND holds on to all of his money without an accountant skimming or fourth cousin getting him to invest in their “sure thing” crypto company and doesn’t spend like he’s a 22yo who’s never had a comma in his bank account in his entire life

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Carnival COVID

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

love to die for capitalism

Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

Minimum salary sticker price looks great, but after top-bracket taxes (which can include a mid-to-high single digit percentage bump in some states for entertainer taxes), manager/agent fees (low-to-mid double digits), union dues, and big-city living expenses, it’s not great even if you make it to four years ( pension starts at 10 iirc). Add that to the fact that any pro player was told by his college athletic program to take the easiest major possible with no-show credits or better yet, going into the draft after junior year and boom, you have a (likely) physically and mentally disabled (about a 10% chance every year in addition to seven/eight years of accumulating injuries in hs and college) high school grad with no work experience but a few hundred k in the bank. that’s if he makes it to four years (an average with its upper bound drug pretty high by 18-year kickers and qbs who won’t die) and doesn’t get a career-ending concussion in his first preseason game AND holds on to all of his money without an accountant skimming or fourth cousin getting him to invest in their “sure thing” crypto company and doesn’t spend like he’s a 22yo who’s never had a comma in his bank account in his entire life

The average career is even worse than you mentioned, it's 2.5 years and most of those dudes are making league minimum ($495K as of 2019). Professional athletes tend to form the center of a web of financial support for family and friends, so that money goes quick.

Mike Webster was one of the best defensive players in NFL history. He lived in his truck and at rest stops after his NFL career ended and died of a heart attack at age 50.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Fauci's going to quit, isn't he

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

when you can't tell the difference between a parade on public streets and a cycling trail

I don’t think location makes a difference.

like, if Karen said “I’m gonna go to the moon and make fun of all the people there,” it’s still the same thing. even if nobody is on the moon, because you’re still self owning.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1257336004895219713?s=19

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

MorrisBae posted:

Fauci's going to quit, isn't he

a 9/11 a day sends the doctor away

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

A stupid concept, however the ecstasy should take care of it

Gonna be alotta stained car seats in the morning

Apr 7, 2003

Woofer posted:

I don’t think location makes a difference.

like, if Karen said “I’m gonna go to the moon and make fun of all the people there,” it’s still the same thing.

It isn't, but okay.

Riding on a trail isn't like sitting on the Public Mall in DC and spitting in other patriots' mouths, there's nothing unusual about commenting on people ignoring social distancing measures while trying to maintain them yourselves.

I'm actually down all of my usual riding spots and I'm stuck throwing my bike on my wagon and driving 40 minutes south and it's still a loving mess.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lol the model is just half the reported and oh well whatever the model must be right

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

It isn't, but okay.

Riding on a trail isn't like sitting on the Public Mall in DC and spitting in other patriots' mouths, there's nothing unusual about commenting on people ignoring social distancing measures while trying to maintain them yourselves.

I'm actually down all of my usual riding spots and I'm stuck throwing my bike on my wagon and driving 40 minutes south and it's still a loving mess.

you are part of the reason there is a mess.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

this model sucks

Apr 7, 2003

Woofer posted:

you are part of the reason there is a mess.

I'm not sitting in groups with no PPE having conversations on the middle of the trail

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I'm not sitting in groups with no PPE having conversations on the middle of the trail

what’s your point though

you’re still going out to trails, where other people are, and then complaining about the people on the trails, where you also are.

if they were having this same convo and said you were an idiot for being on the trail, they’d be right.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

get that corn

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Yes, a doubling time of 30 days as opposed to 2.5 days in March or 9 days in April. Totally believable.

Apr 7, 2003

Woofer posted:

what’s your point though

you’re still going out to trails, where other people are, and then complaining about the people on the trails, where you also are.

if they were having this same convo and said you were an idiot for being on the trail, they’d be right.

you're being deliberately loving obtuse, it's possible to go on a trail ride safely and with consideration for your safety and the safety of others and it's possible to go on a trail ride and ignore rules, clump together, not wear PPE, etc, just like it's possible to safety pick up takeout versus sitting at Denny's for three hours breathing on the waitress. These things are not equivalent

I am going to continue scouting out remote trail locations to get my riding in on the weekends because the alternative is sitting on the internet and spreading brainworms with other crazy people.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

you're being deliberately loving obtuse, it's possible to go on a trail ride safely and with consideration for your safety and the safety of others and it's possible to go on a trail ride and ignore rules, clump together, not wear PPE, etc. These things are not equivalent.

I am going to continue scouting out remote trail locations to get my riding in on the weekends because the alternative is sitting on the internet and spreading brainworms with other crazy people.

-Karen

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Gringostar posted:

mine closed the ones my gf and i use to frequent a lot as well

now we drive about 45 minutes outside of the city to a remote trail for our day hikes and will probably keep that trail in our rotation since it's also at a much higher altitude and change of scenery

nice. i've been thinking of driving out to one of the national forests in the hopes of it being somewhat empty but i dunno how realistic that is. worst thing would be to get there and there be 50 other yokels like me crowding round the trailhead.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

For a second I thought Ireland was actually sending relief aid, but no its just a large amount of irish citizens contributing to a gofundme

loving lol

dammit this is why you aren’t supposed to read things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

you're going to have to troll better than that.