Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There were also a bunch of mecha variants of that concept. I remember that whatever frame/tank/ship/whatever that could integrate weapons into itself was always the strongest because you could load it up with hundreds of the cheap guns and kill people by dealing hundreds of instances of 10 damage in a fraction of an instant while their extremely expensive 500 damage gun hit you once per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Milo and POTUS posted:

did any mobas even attempt to deviate from the 3 lane, corner bases format?

Demigod had some good ideas and I think may even have been the first of the DOTAlikes to hit full commercial release but whiffed badly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some of the HotS maps only have 2 lanes.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some of the HotS maps only have 2 lanes.

A few of them (maybe just one?) had 4 lanes but I think they changed to 3 lanes because it was untenable. Everyone hates the two lane maps too. Points for trying.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
weird how SC1 had 2 good remasters and wc3 cant manage one.

jokes posted:

There was a map where you picked a tank model and loaded up with specific weapons, and they would do things like automatically fire at dudes in range or allow you to shoot a big rear end bomb or you could load up on extra armor plating or faster engines. Instead of a tank you could pick an airship that was very fast, but was much less sturdy than other vehicles, etc. Some models had less than 6 slots available but made up for it in other ways.

The game ruled and it was the best of the DOTAs but the nature of the game was very much about just deciding on a build than actually playing it which meant there was a "Correct Way To Play" and you'd absolutely get demolished by a guy with zero recourse. And then you'd play as that next game, and then after a while everyone was doing the same poo poo.

It was still a really cool game/idea, though. Playing it blind with a bunch of randos was a LOT of fun.

Trials of Mana and FF7R are doing so loving well both in sales and in players' sentiment by completely remaking two very, very old games. Meanwhile Blizzard failed at a loving model swap.

Battletanks, as well as the spinoff battleships.

I played both quite often with friends growing up. Good times.

There was also that one I mentioned where you had a base on a hill for one team and a timer, and the other team had to siege it with three lanes (but then a fourth one opened up later)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Rival Nations I think it was had 3 teams in a triangle map format. Could buy upgrades for the lanes units and eventually multiple heros to control. Was p good.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cuntellectual posted:

weird how SC1 had 2 good remasters and wc3 cant manage one.

Battletanks, as well as the spinoff battleships.

Battleships was great, when people played ball and had traders allowed. It got horribly unbalanced in later versions, but it gave an extra dimension when it worked.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Footies if you count that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zone Control is a map I'm surprised never got a standalone game.

Genesis of Empires was one of my favorite maps. A new RTS as map I always wanted that as its own game too.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I liked Tides of Blood until the meta became spamming consumables and no one ever died so it was just an endless boring slog with no end in sight.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Genesis of Empires II :negative:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

~Coxy posted:

Demigod had some good ideas and I think may even have been the first of the DOTAlikes to hit full commercial release but whiffed badly.

I thought that game was reasonably fun at the time.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Boy, I sure miss Battleships.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Remember when blizzard charged people money to hear about this and diablo immortal? Because with how this turned out it's even funnier in hindsight.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
crossposting myself from Blizzard forums:

Eregos posted:

Blizzard really fücked up everything in reforged. Updates WIPE OUT your saved games. I would disconnect my internet every time before I started the blizzard launcher to be ensure there wouldnt be an update and I could finish my current saved games. I forgot to do this ONCE near the end of Act 2: Old Hatreds, there was an update and sure enough PROGRESS LOST, can’t load save. So I had to use ALLYOURBASEAREBELONGTOUS to skip the entire level, WHOSYOURDADDY in Act 3, no fücking way am I redoing 3 hours of that.

To be clear, if an update even begins for 1 second, your saved games are totally fücked! You cant just stop it and start the game, because the only way to launch the game is through the blizzard launcher. You cant even use the map editor to get into the current version, as once the blizzard launcher sees an update, it prevents you launching the map editor!
It's pretty hilarious how badly they hosed up. At least the disaster is over now. Definitely an appropriate occasion to use umlaut u.

And still no custom campaigns, or ability to edit the official singleplayer. At least the previous parts of the Orc bonus campaign functioned without new bugs, though that's a super low bar.

edit: They did finally add singleplayer custom maps, where you can use cheats and saved unlimited. Hooray(?) one vanilla feature from 2002 that already existed and was just inaccessible is accessible again.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 29, 2020

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

OMG!! It gets even more rich. So I cheated to the end of part 1 of Act 3: A Blaze of Glory, but then ALL attempts at loading part 2, Theramore City, results in the instant defeat screen. Hilariously still not fixed. Even spamming autorepeat macros to get the mission to start in the .001 seconds between when it says 'press any key to start' and 'defeat!' doesn't work.
And since the Orc Bonus campaign has multiple stages per level, you can't use the main campaign screen to select the mission! So I literally can never play the last mission (not that I would legit, my save having been torched by Blizzard). Back to youtube it is, then.

It's poetic that Deforged ends in a Blaze of Glory Firestorm of Failure.

edit: One last hilariousness - The fact you can't finish the Orc bonus campaign also means you can't get the portraits for finishing the it and all the Frozen Throne campaigns. Unless there's some syntax I haven't figured out for the Motherland cheat that lets you load the Orc Bonus missions? You'd have to load Theramore City directly.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 29, 2020

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Eregos posted:

OMG!! It gets even more rich. So I cheated to the end of part 1 of Act 3: A Blaze of Glory, but then ALL attempts at loading part 2, Theramore City, results in the instant defeat screen. Hilariously still not fixed. Even spamming autorepeat macros to get the mission to start in the .001 seconds between when it says 'press any key to start' and 'defeat!' doesn't work.
And since the Orc Bonus campaign has multiple stages per level, you can't use the main campaign screen to select the mission! So I literally can never play the last mission (not that I would legit, my save having been torched by Blizzard). Back to youtube it is, then.

It's poetic that Deforged ends in a Blaze of Glory Firestorm of Failure.

edit: One last hilariousness - The fact you can't finish the Orc bonus campaign also means you can't get the portraits for finishing the it and all the Frozen Throne campaigns. Unless there's some syntax I haven't figured out for the Motherland cheat that lets you load the Orc Bonus missions? You'd have to load Theramore City directly.

I recall reading reports of this happening to a good number of people, but it doesn't happen to everyone. I was able to complete the Orc Bonus Campaign without any issues of this sort, for example.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I did the bonus campaign for shits. Got every portrait except the middle one. Completing the middle one rewards nothing, even after starting over from scratch.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Tunzie posted:

I recall reading reports of this happening to a good number of people, but it doesn't happen to everyone. I was able to complete the Orc Bonus Campaign without any issues of this sort, for example.

Yep, which is why I watched it finished on youtube. I had been getting lucky with the defeat screen nonsense, I was almost starting to think it had actually been patched. Mistake to drift toward wishful thinking in reforged.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't get why they ever did remodels (well outsourced them). Even if they weren't terrible there's no way I wouldn't be playing with the original models. Why not do some texture rework or something.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TGG posted:

I was always a huge fan of Advent of the Zenith, some crazy fun heroes in there and it was more in the tides of blood format. Tons of custom assets in it too, though I don't remember it being played a ton.

Hell loving Yeah

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't get why they ever did remodels (well outsourced them). Even if they weren't terrible there's no way I wouldn't be playing with the original models. Why not do some texture rework or something.

If they didn't remodel stuff, would they have done anything at all? Modern textures would look like poo poo on the original low-poly models.

Remastering the models to the quality of, say, Starcraft 2 would have been worthwhile by itself. Of course, Starcraft 2's art had vision and direction, and Blizzard can't afford that these days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah you're right they would've had to do some type of remodel and would've needed a unified vision. It just looked nothing like the original game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What's crazy is all they had to do was put Samwise in place as art director, and by all accounts he was more than happy to. Someone got a bug up their rear end about cinematic quality models though, and the result is... what we go.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The DoTA discussion reminded me of a map I used to play, and can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was along the lines of DoTA/AoS, with 2 bases and heroes you chose at the start etc. The main differences were that each base was a pretty well developed town/castle, with lots of shops and NPCs, and options where you could pay gold to spawn more powerful units. Plus rather than just the lanes, there was a ton of content around it, with quests and special areas at the top and bottom (the bases were at the east and west). The clearest detail I remember was the map centre had a fortress that started with a bunch of spiders occupying it, and whoever managed to claim that first was in a really good position as it had powerful turrets.

Anyone have a clue what map this might be?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tides of Blood?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Unfortunately not, although I did forget how cool that one was. This one was a standard forest map, and the bases were centered on the left/rightmost part of the map as opposed to the diagonals.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kith posted:

What's crazy is all they had to do was put Samwise in place as art director, and by all accounts he was more than happy to. Someone got a bug up their rear end about cinematic quality models though, and the result is... what we go.

Even crazier: Blizzard had already done the work to update many of the WC3 models back in 2015 and they fit way better into Reforged than the cinematic monstrosities that came later. It was released as a data mod for SC2. Who knows if this was for a previous remake that got aborted, I guess we'll never know, but at least they released this stuff.

Not just new textures, they made actual new meshes that fit into what the old ones looked like while staying true to the original designs.

I'm not saying these are perfect but IMO they provide a much better basis for what Reforged should've looked like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Those look so much better than what we got.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
hots was also an updated wc3 aesthetic that would have worked well and isn't far off from that image

Groovelord Neato posted:

Those look so much better than what we got.
I don't think it would generate hype with the general population if they showed models like this. The trick would be just showing before/after gameplay instead of focusing on individual models.

That's what they did for SCR, they mostly showed gameplay, because if you look at individual things it's not that impressive.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 4, 2020

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.
Have they gone and fixed any of the issues with the re-release?

I want to buy it, but the stigma it has makes me very weary about buying it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

danjal posted:

Almost nothing has been addressed. Bliz is dead. You can safely uninstall bnet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gildiss posted:

Almost nothing has been addressed. Bliz is dead. You can safely uninstall bnet.

It makes me think that the better method by which video games are made are when the producers have absurdly deep pockets and go way over-budget to produce the game rather than whatever cost-cutting poo poo this was. SE handles remakes, remasters, and re-releases way way better than Blizzard nowadays and they have a habit of just throwing checks at things a lot. It's how FF14 got to where it is. If Blizzard had "lost" money on the re-master by making sure it was done properly they would have earned good will but instead they saved money by doing whatever they did with WC3R and people can, rightly, say "just uninstall bnet".

Basically WC3R seems to have been spearheaded by the 80s guy from Futurama.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Blizzard looks pretty good stock wise. Going by the stock it would be pretty safe to say that all the controversy surrounding the release of the game caused no effect. Not that it should really. Anyone investing in Blizzard is waiting for that Diablo 4 money to start rolling in. I'd say that's going to be the thing that really makes or breaks the company at this point. Overwatch 2 has a ton of competition, as does Hearthstone now. Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

If they gently caress up Diablo 4 then it's probably alright to pronounce them dead, barring them inventing another new title that manages to capture the minds of the youth as Overwatch did for a period.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

danjal posted:

Someone, I don't remember who, basically called it 'once they started giving refunds the project was dead, there will never be fixes'

PaybackJack posted:

Blizzard looks pretty good stock wise. Going by the stock it would be pretty safe to say that all the controversy surrounding the release of the game caused no effect. Not that it should really. Anyone investing in Blizzard is waiting for that Diablo 4 money to start rolling in. I'd say that's going to be the thing that really makes or breaks the company at this point. Overwatch 2 has a ton of competition, as does Hearthstone now. Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

If they gently caress up Diablo 4 then it's probably alright to pronounce them dead, barring them inventing another new title that manages to capture the minds of the youth as Overwatch did for a period.

blizz's stock price is because 1) they bend the truth to investors on a level that is so extreme that it should be illegal, they mostly just conceal playercounts or give single line summaries of 'after the update, players increased' that don't actually communicate any info and 2) blizz's lasting legacy as a powerhouse of games-making, which wall street still believes 100% to be the case even if no one outside of wall street believes that poo poo anymore and 3) analysts predicting that with everyone at home, it's a good time to buy games company stock. I actually remain consistently surprised how utterly mainstream the total collapse in faith in blizzard has become.

They aren't touching starcraft. Several of the top execs literally hate starcraft for some reason and want it dead and gone (not hyperbole) and they just finished dumping their entire starcraft esports involvement when they laid off everyone involved.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 4, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PaybackJack posted:

Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

And Diablo 3's getting creamed by Path of Exile, a free-to-play game on Steam.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ah, well glad they just decided to go back and destroy and old title for shits and giggles then. A+ job blizz, bang up work all around.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Ah, well glad they just decided to go back and destroy and old title for shits and giggles then. A+ job blizz, bang up work all around.

loving up the last good game they made is so hilarious I can't be mad at them.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Blizzard should have offered a free hong kong if they wanted to generate good will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

THE BAR posted:

And Diablo 3's getting creamed by Path of Exile, a free-to-play game on Steam.

What do you mean by creamed because Diablo 3 was one of the top selling games of all time? They got a gazillion dollars out of it and their upcoming mobile game will make a gazillion more from microtransactions. Even if they don't monetize D4 as agressively, it's still guaranteed to crank out huge $ for Blizzard.

Where is the creaming happening? MAUs?