Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This doesn't specify theme parks, but bad news for Disney Land.

No sporting events or concerts in CA until vaccine or therapeutic treatment

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-04-28/california-newsom-four-phase-plan-reopen-state-concerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Anya posted:

The last place I want to be camping is on a deserted island in a state known for crazy rear end bugs and lizards and gators.

sounds like he was one tanooki away from animal crossing irl

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

This doesn't specify theme parks, but bad news for Disney Land.

No sporting events or concerts in CA until vaccine or therapeutic treatment

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-04-28/california-newsom-four-phase-plan-reopen-state-concerts

Isn't a therapeutic treatment trial doing quite well right now?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

there's so many trials going on I can't keep track. I hope so.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

couldcareless posted:

the Remdesivir trial was run by the manufacturer and the results were reported by the manufacturer. it was basically "eh, it might work."

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

the Remdesivir trial was run by the manufacturer and the results were reported by the manufacturer. it was basically "eh, it might work."

Given that the first trials most drugs will experience will be from their manufacturer, this is a bad take. The biggest story was that it had a notable improvement upon the majority of patients. The two takeaways are: we have a drug that does something so we can now try and identify what about it is successful and refine the process further, and even if first thing doesn't yield much, if further trials proves the drug is good to go, we can at least have SOMETHING to help save some lives vs thoughts, prayers, and ventilators.

I'm all for being pessimistic, but I dunno if I can stomach to try and poopoo every ray of light during this

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Remdesivir led to a 30% reduction in recovery time, and a drop in mortality rate from 8% to 6%. It's a good start, but not exactly a home run either. Hopefully they can amplify what works with the drug and lead to a better solution for treatment while we wait for a vaccine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Here's not a bad take: it has massive interactions with a ton of common medications from anti-depressants to hypertension treatments.

It's going to take out a Ton of people who would need to take it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Here's not a bad take: it has massive interactions with a ton of common medications from anti-depressants to hypertension treatments.

It's going to take out a Ton of people who would need to take it.

I will never understand disaster fetishizing

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

couldcareless posted:

Given that the first trials most drugs will experience will be from their manufacturer, this is a bad take. The biggest story was that it had a notable improvement upon the majority of patients. The two takeaways are: we have a drug that does something so we can now try and identify what about it is successful and refine the process further, and even if first thing doesn't yield much, if further trials proves the drug is good to go, we can at least have SOMETHING to help save some lives vs thoughts, prayers, and ventilators.

I'm all for being pessimistic, but I dunno if I can stomach to try and poopoo every ray of light during this

it's not good enough to warrant opening up sporting events and theme parks.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

it's not good enough to warrant opening up sporting events and theme parks.

Never said it was

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

I will never understand disaster fetishizing

I'm sorry it interacts with common medication but that's not my fault :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Now that remdesivir has emergency approval, questions have turned to its pricing. While the cost of producing a 10-day course of the drug is estimated at $9.32, according to the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review, it could be priced at $4,500 or more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ahahaha guillotines are too good for these scumlords

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Why'd the Epcot attractions posters have to be $90. Also why'd they release the Maelstrom poster on a day the site would be hammered by Star Wars nerds.:(

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Absolutely blows my mind they limited them to 100 each

FWIW this person is doing all of them, I'm sure through some dumb method, but the review photos actually don't look half bad. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and order one just to check the quality.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/745781674/maelstrom-poster-epcot-poster-norway

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2020

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I tipsy-ordered a bunch of Disney scented wax melts from Etsy and they're great, but an unforeseen consequence is my Pavlovian response of really really really really wishing I were at the Poly right now. Ah well, if I close my eyes I can pretend...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some insider* info ahead of Disney's quarterly earnings announcement today:

quote:

3. Disney is still looking at an August reopening for Magic Kingdom and the MK resorts. There are some important data sets that are being monitored. First, Disney is watching early states with populous areas to see if there is a spike in cases. States that are being closely monitored include Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Colorado, and Texas. Second, there's an important statistic that Disney is actively researching: chance of transmission for mask-to-mask. Currently, the number Disney has is 1.5%. That is, with a standard (not N95 or higher) mask, the chance of two adults transmitting the virus while both wear a mask is 1.5%. That's currently too high to reopen the parks safely. At that rate, you have a 1/67 chance of contracting the virus when in close proximity with others, and a theme park features far more than 67 close interactions in a single day, even if social distancing and 50% capacity is active. If just one person is contagious then, you have a super spread situation at MK. Another serious issue to reopening the parks prior to August is that children present a logistical problem to keeping masks on in an efficient manner. And even if you do wear masks all day with no problems, Alannah Hall-Smith has been adamant that putting guests in July/August heat with a requirement to wear masks is a recipe for disaster. What are you going to do if you have people passing out from heat while wearing a mask? What are you going to do if the temperature is 98 and you can't let people in many of your indoor areas? So just know that while the target might be August, there's a real chance that this goes longer.

4. Disneyland is essentially closed for the remainder of 2020. Maybe it can reopen in November or December, but all the information I'm getting from contacts and friends says that's just not the case. Again, things can change with COVID-19 and the information we have on it... but as of now, it doesn't look good for getting Disneyland safely open in the next six months. Whereas WDW is receiving maintenance and upkeep at an acceptable show scale, Disneyland itself is a different story. It will require major attention before it will be at an acceptable level of care for reopening to guests. All attractions at DLR are powered down completely and are not receiving ANY maintenance. Pathways inside DLR are not being cleaned very often, and are rather unsightly in places with bird droppings. There's actually a serious rat issue, and I don't mean Mickey... not joking. All food items have been removed at DLR from EVERYWHERE to combat the issue, and the radically few cast members still working at DLR have to bring their food and dispose of it according to protocol.

5. One of the concepts being mulled to get Disney Parks bringing in revenue again is to bring back the non-expiration tickets. If you enjoyed stacking 10 day park hoppers with extras before and then adding the non-expiration option to them... you might be doing it again once the parks reopen. That's one of the tactics Iger has really liked for making people feel "safe" to purchase tickets. And speaking of safe...

6. Temperature checks at Magic Kingdom and MK resorts are going to be time consuming. They're working on planning for 40,000 - 70,000 temperature checks per day when they first reopen when you consider all the security checkpoints that will now include a medical screening. This is another Iger mandate, even though it's well known that this is a PR bandaid. With the understanding that COVID-19 has a high rate of asymptomatic transmission, this is just a "feel safe" measure.

*not vetted by me personally

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zero One posted:

Some insider* info ahead of Disney's quarterly earnings announcement today:

*not vetted by me personally

Do you have a source, please? :)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sorry, mobile posting and I forgot: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/what-to-watch-going-into-the-earnings-report.964635/

Also enjoy this person's reply:

quote:

If they wait until August to reopen the parks, I will start a class action lawsuit with any fellow shareholders willing to join me. They have a fiduciary responsibility to reopen as soon as it is safe and possible. I understand a month or two closure. But no DL for the rest of the year? Ridiculous!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Thanks! I suppose it's not good news for my proposal, but it's better to be aware and prepared.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Today's the day I was meant to be proposing but here I am, locked at home, waiting for my next Zoom meeting, drinking heavily

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My mom and brother were supposed to be arriving on Friday for a week at Disney for his birthday.

Now I'm at home also drinking. (But I'm done with work for today)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Shanghai Disney will reopen May 11

Disney also just provided a ton of bullet points of things they're looking to do to open domestic parks.
https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1257776235213737984

10% loss of parks revenue vs LY which is like a billion dollars. That's actually not that bad, but hold onto your butts in Q3.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Half a billion dollar loss from the parks every two weeks.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Temperature Checks in Florida August heat/humidity probably won't work all that well. There are mounting signs parts of Disney Springs and CityWalk will start opening up maybe early as next week (Third party locations, not Universal/Disney Owned locations). SeaWorld/Busch just bumped up every annual passholder one tier higher in benefits. (This means I now can go to Busch Williamsburg, SeaWorld San Diego, or SeaWorld San Antonio if somehow I go there before it expires)

The quarterly earnings call gave the reason for all the stopped construction at Disney as mostly a cash/CapEx savings decision, this may wind up cancelling or reducing a lot of construction projects that aren't already nearly complete.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 5, 2020

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Zero One posted:

Half a billion dollar loss from the parks every two weeks.

Is that operating costs for an empty park?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Not an expert whose read into the facts, but I imagine that's the 'cost' of lack of revenue (i.e. The $ they could have made under typical operations) plus the cost of cast retention.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/capuchinokappu/status/1256698938603630592

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

:eyepop:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I want that Haunted Mansion wallpaper for my Animal Crossing house.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I want Haunted Mansion wallpaper covering every surface of my life.

Including the sun.

I don't care how many bodies it will take.

I wanna stare up at the sun, and quietly sing to myself "... come out to socialize~"

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Paris’ projects in the Studios park are absolutely getting cut. I think its version of Galaxy’s Edge wasn’t going to be finished for at least 3 years and I’m fuzzy on if it even would include Rise. That park is such a mess.

Edit: concept art showed the land wouldn’t have Smuggler’s Run which be alright but still, getting half of a land four years after the States sums up Paris well.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 6, 2020

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dugong posted:

Edit: concept art showed the land wouldn’t have Smuggler’s Run which be alright but still, getting half of a land four years after the States sums up Paris well.

Watch them switch it so now it gets Smuggler's Run and not Rise of the Resistance.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Or just the bantha ride

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pictures from an empty Disney World

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Sdka58

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...qegu-story.html

quote:

“I am definitely dying to go,” he says. He recently had a short staycation in a hotel near Disney.
“I was literally maybe five minutes from the park, and it just made me sick knowing that I couldn't even really drive over there because there’s nothing to see,” he says.

Yikes. What a quote.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1258510512234442753?s=21

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Maybe a June reopening isn't out of the question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

gods this is a mistake :smith: 2100 people died yesterday. we're at almost 77,000 dead. this thing isn't slowing down. I hope they're so careful.