Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t one of the DMC games have an easy difficulty in the US that was the standard difficulty in Japan?

IIRC DMC3 US' normal difficulty was Japan's hard and easy was Japan's normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Metal Gear Solid is relatively famous for having its difficulty labels cranked up for the NA release: In the original MGS1, there was no difficulty selection on the first playthrough. Instead there was only one base difficulty, which was changed to "Easy" for the NA release with a selectable one called "Normal" to represent the JP version's second-playthrough difficulty. The NA release then went on to add entirely new difficulties called "Hard" and "Extreme". From then on, "Easy" in the NA releases was "Normal" in Japan until MGS4 which had a more granular selection.

edit: Eventually these difficulty settings were back-ported to Japan via Metal Gear Solid: Integral, which was a 'definitive version' of the first game that compiled all the extra stuff from various regional versions into one. It also added a "Very Easy" difficulty that gave you a special infinite ammo MP5 similar to MGS3's EZ-Gun for, that's right, players who just want to experience the game.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:33 on May 3, 2020

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I always felt lovely that I played that game a bunch of times but never could get very far on anything other than Easy. Good to know it was just Konami being lovely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MGS1 is actually pretty brutally hard on Normal, as I found out when I streamed it blind a few years ago. I was downright embarrassed, it kicked my rear end. Something about how simple the game looks belies how unforgiving of mistakes it actually is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Bastion as I never got too far into it, but one major problem I have is the rarity of the autosave - it seems to only save after returning to the Bastion, as after putting the upgrade down to create a new building and then picking a level, quitting and reloading meant I started at the Bastion and had to place the building and core again. That's annoying.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

MGS1 is actually pretty brutally hard on Normal, as I found out when I streamed it blind a few years ago. I was downright embarrassed, it kicked my rear end. Something about how simple the game looks belies how unforgiving of mistakes it actually is.
It's a very oddly designed game, it clicks a lot better when you take a step back and view it through the lens of being closer to Pac-man than a modern stealth game. As I understand it was designed from a top down perspective with Lego models lol

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My biggest gripe about Aminal Crossing:

Shut up shut up shut up stop talking please just stop you've said this a hundred times every day every single day please just stop talking

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Isn’t there a European Extreme difficulty level of MGS where even getting spotted was a game over?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

MGS1 is odd because you there's no real stealth or new areas after the midpoint, and the later boss fights force you to with an awkward first-person mode, otherwise you never to need to look outside your radar.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eclipse12 posted:

My biggest gripe about Aminal Crossing:

Shut up shut up shut up stop talking please just stop you've said this a hundred times every day every single day please just stop talking

I was terraforming my village. Realized I'd made a mistake and had to undo my work, then redo it all from the ground up, over the course of several hours because I wanted it to look good. It still looks like poo poo, but at least it looks the way I wanted it to I guess. But to get back on track; the whole time one of my villagers was sitting on a cliff watching me do all of this while eating a hot dog.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Weren't rentals also to blame for a non-zero number of games having their difficulty cranked up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

John Murdoch posted:

Weren't rentals also to blame for a non-zero number of games having their difficulty cranked up

I think a Virgin Interactive developer confirmed this was the case for The Lion King, where the monkey puzzle on the second level was deliberately made super difficult for the typical 10-year old who'd be playing this game to solve in a couple days.

Not me though. :smugdog:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite video game puzzle will always be the sliding block puzzle during the Ashley gameplay section of RE4. You have two choices: You can either start sliding blocks around to try and puzzle out how to get them in the right order, something that can take several minutes depending on your ability to figure out how to rotate pieces around each other to get them where you want, which permanently condemns you into resolving it on your own because there is no way to reset it to the position it started in... or you can just rotate every piece of the puzzle 1 space counter-clockwise because it's already almost solved when you first find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZa9frufNy0

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:36 on May 4, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

I think a Virgin Interactive developer confirmed this was the case for The Lion King, where the monkey puzzle on the second level was deliberately made super difficult for the typical 10-year old who'd be playing this game to solve in a couple days.

I think it also had the thing that if you were playing on easy difficulty it would end the game once you had finished the Young Simba levels (so the first half of the game). Good job, but we’re going to lock these levels away until you try a harder difficulty!

I’m not 100% sure, but it totally fits with the explanation that they altered the game so it couldn’t be finished within a rental period.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:52 on May 4, 2020

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Deus Ex Mankind Divided: Jesus gently caress are there a lot of garbage hacking minigames. Playing on NG+, I really feel there should be a instant skip option available.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I had honestly no idea that Lion King were considered a hard games until I discovered the YouTube videos about it. I also think that the magic carpet level In Aladdin were fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've only somewhat recently learned that many people could not solve the rocket ship puzzle in Myst because they're completely tone deaf. Must suck for them. :laugh:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

exquisite tea posted:

The real bullshit level in that game was the volcano, anyway :colbert:

(also the thorn maze level right after it but that's mostly because teleporter mazes in all their incarnations can go gently caress themselves)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm far into the second act in Bastion, only got 2 shards to go, but didn't like the level where you got the flamethrower. I got used to melee weapons being on X and ranged being on B, but to pick up new weapons you can only use X so wound up stuck with two ranged weapons which threw me off. Also that level was just kind of annoying.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it also had the thing that if you were playing on easy difficulty it would end the game once you had finished the Young Simba levels (so the first half of the game). Good job, but we’re going to lock these levels away until you try a harder difficulty!

I’m not 100% sure, but it totally fits with the explanation that they altered the game so it couldn’t be finished within a rental period.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was but a lot of games had some sort of limit if you played on Easy back then, sometimes even let you play all the way through but then cutting the last boss and the ending.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

or you can just rotate every piece of the puzzle 1 space counter-clockwise because it's already almost solved when you first find it

Haha I didn't even look at it long enough to notice it was an obvious shift, my standard procedure for sliding block puzzles is to immediately pause and look up the solution.

I regret nothing :colbert:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha I didn't even look at it long enough to notice it was an obvious shift, my standard procedure for sliding block puzzles is to immediately pause and look up the solution.

I regret nothing :colbert:

Looking up the solution, or in the case of random ones a solver , is the only reasonable action when exposed to block sliding puzzles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't like that one level in Bastion that's all covered in leaves, it's so annoying to navigate because you can't see anything.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I'm not sure what the reasoning was but a lot of games had some sort of limit if you played on Easy back then, sometimes even let you play all the way through but then cutting the last boss and the ending.

The reasoning was that by being a filthy casual playing on "kid" mode you did not deserve to see the ending.

Because playing something, and not getting constantly kicked in the dick by bullshit and hostile game design, wasn't noble enough. You did not play games to entertain yourself, but to become professional and show that you are worthy.

I think there still are game designers who swear by this principle.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Der Kyhe posted:

The reasoning was that by being a filthy casual playing on "kid" mode you did not deserve to see the ending.

Because playing something, and not getting constantly kicked in the dick by bullshit and hostile game design, wasn't noble enough. You did not play games to entertain yourself, but to become professional and show that you are worthy.

I think there still are game designers who swear by this principle.

Ask people about adding an easier mode to Souls-like games and see that it's more than just game devs who think this way.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's gamers for you, maybe the whiniest creature on the planet.

She said, in the complain about little things in games thread.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Samuringa posted:

One of my favorite SNES games as a kid, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, did this poo poo. I instinctively played games on easy when I was younger, so imagine my surprise when I revisited the game years later and discovered the game cut off entire sections of levels, boss fights, and even the entire penultimate stage if you dared to play it on easy mode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

One of my favorite SNES games as a kid, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, did this poo poo. I instinctively played games on easy when I was younger, so imagine my surprise when I revisited the game years later and discovered the game cut off entire sections of levels, boss fights, and even the entire penultimate stage if you dared to play it on easy mode.

The Sega Punisher game did that. I'd struggle to stage 3 and then finally beat and then no gently caress you play on a harder mode.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's really annoying that your pelts vanish when you die in RDR2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

I think it's really annoying that your pelts vanish when you die in RDR2.

I guess the resurrection spell cast on you also works for the animals.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Dead Cells

Just tried this game recently and it's mostly pretty fun but I really wish they hadn't bothered with ledge grab. The dude is constantly grabbing ledges when I dont want him to or feeling like he's magnetically attracted to walls and corners it's really annoying. And got worse once I found the rune that gives me wall jump as now I'm sometimes just getting stuck to walls unintentionally and it feels really awkward.

I have a similar problem with the down attack thing. It's activated by pushing down and jump while airborne. But only happens if you're a certain distance above the ground or above a droppable platform. With droppable platforms it decides if you're going to fall through them or onto them based, I think on the distance to them when the down attack starts but it feels really inconsistent and I'm often trying to do a down attack through a droppable platform and I just end up doing a bunch of little short hops instead. I wish it used down+attack instead of down+jump then it wouldn't need to try and be context sensitive for how to behave and would just do what I tell it to instead.

The electric whip is just too good. After about 40hrs and god knows how many different weapon types I feel like I am just hamstringing myself anytime I try a build that isn't centred around it. It auto aims, bounces to all targets in range, and ignores shields. It utterly trivializes most of the hardest enemies(fliers and shielded guys being the enemies I usually find hardest) and while there are better weapons for the easier enemies. They're the easier enemies so who cares. Relatedly I kinda wish I could just pick a pair of weapons at the start of the run and just find upgrades for them instead of finding random weapons throughout the run. There's a bunch of weapon types I'd like to try a run based around but just never find a good, high level, version of in the latter half of the run so I end up only being able to use it at the start. The throwing knife for example is super fun to use but any time I pick the scrolls and mutations that synergize with it I never find another throwing knife after the first level or two.

The way the game incentives not taking damage is too all or nothing. It just feels so bad and frustrating to take a dumb hit 50 enemies in to the necessary 60 enemy chain. Which is unfortunate as I do like being rewarded for being careful but I just wish instead of completely restarting the chain it was like -10 on it or something. It's especially annoying when you take a hit like 1/3 of the way into a level then manage not to get hit again but are stuck at 58 enemies or whatever and there just aren't two more to kill on the level. I also don't think environmental damage should count for it cuz the game heavily incentivises down attacking onto any drops and ending up losing your chain because you down attacked into some acid or spikes you couldn't see when you started the fall is super annoying.

The free DLC is broken/wont validate if you're playing the game through family share. Google tells me this is a common, but not ubiquitous, problem with free dlc on steam but I'd not encountered it before and it's real annoying.

I also hate the boss fights, but I usually find boss fights the worst part of games, especially action games, so I cant hold that against Dead Cells specifically. Although the final(possibly not final when I get more boss cells idk) boss's boss arena could definitely stand to be bigger. It's barely larger than the boss.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spek posted:

Dead Cells

I also hate the boss fights, but I usually find boss fights the worst part of games, especially action games, so I cant hold that against Dead Cells specifically. Although the final(possibly not final when I get more boss cells idk) boss's boss arena could definitely stand to be bigger. It's barely larger than the boss.
honestly the boss fights ruin it for me, they take so long and are such boring slogs that they kill the momentum and make me dread them every run. Even the speedy ones that should be "glass cannons" like the clock tower one take so long.

VVV they must be pretty bad because I love boss fights usually, I recognise that they're often a weak point design wise but they're... Satisfying? Offer a different kind of challenge/experience? I dunno

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 00:14 on May 5, 2020

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Spek posted:

I also hate the boss fights, but I usually find boss fights the worst part of games, especially action games, so I cant hold that against Dead Cells specifically.

what up boss hating buddy. always my least favourite parts of games

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

honestly the boss fights ruin it for me, they take so long and are such boring slogs that they kill the momentum and make me dread them every run. Even the speedy ones that should be "glass cannons" like the clock tower one take so long.

Agreed. It especially sucks that most of the weapon affixes and many of the better mutations are utterly useless against bosses cuz they're all "enemy explodes when killed" or "gain x health after killing an enemy". So not only do the boss fights suck but I can't engage with half the game mechanics during them.

small ghost posted:

what up boss hating buddy. always my least favourite parts of games

:hfive:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Spek posted:

I finally tried Dark Souls about a month or so ago, played over 30 hours, and it was the boss fights that finally made me stop. I generally found the normal mobs and the mini-bosses to be challenging in a rewarding way. The boss fights were annoying, the respawn points were usually far away, so it made repeated tries tedious, and finally beating the boss just felt cheap, not like I accomplished anything (run away from the boss until it does an extended attack at nothing, run in, attack, run away, rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat).

I wish the game had an option where the boss fights are just cut scenes, so I can get back to playing the better parts of the game.

I also bought Dark Souls 2 and 3 during a sale. Are they significantly different than 1?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jjack229 posted:

I also bought Dark Souls 2 and 3 during a sale. Are they significantly different than 1?

The boss fights in 2 are easier than 1, I think. The ones in 3 are definitely not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RE7, a vague impersonal brushoff somehow feels even more annoying than a fake invisible wall. Like, who's even telling me not to use the elevator yet? The little girl? Wesker? The game itself? :ohdear:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jjack229 posted:

I finally tried Dark Souls about a month or so ago, played over 30 hours, and it was the boss fights that finally made me stop. I generally found the normal mobs and the mini-bosses to be challenging in a rewarding way. The boss fights were annoying, the respawn points were usually far away, so it made repeated tries tedious, and finally beating the boss just felt cheap, not like I accomplished anything (run away from the boss until it does an extended attack at nothing, run in, attack, run away, rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat).

I wish the game had an option where the boss fights are just cut scenes, so I can get back to playing the better parts of the game.

The games all play pretty differently. I personally find the bosses in 1 the most difficult, but that's definitely not universal. 2 and 3 are generally a lot better about putting bonfires near bosses (Bloodborne is maybe even worse about it, though).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

exquisite tea posted:

I've only somewhat recently learned that many people could not solve the rocket ship puzzle in Myst because they're completely tone deaf. Must suck for them. :laugh:
Well, solving that puzzle also required successfully configuring a sound card on a dos box in the 90's. That was probably the harder puzzle.

As a kid, I was stuck on the puzzle for a long time, because the sounds just didn't play at all. I didn't know there were even sounds associated with that puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I tend to enjoy bosses in most games if they don't take too long relative to the rest of the game. Its mostly when bosses can just kill you from nearly full health without any chance to recover that I tend to hate, and a good example of this kind of terrible is in Remnant: from the ashes. There's this big root boss called gorefist, got a big sword, tosses you around when he hits you and on his own he's fairly straightforward, run backwards and dodge through his swings while shooting him. The problem is the entire time the fight is going on little suicide bombers are spawning in and charging at you too, and sometimes if you get hit by something everything else will stagger you to death meaning sometimes you just die to bad luck.

Remnant also has a prime example of extra difficulty options that may as well not exist as seperate options because all they do is increase enemy hp and damage and at that point you might as well just give us sliders instead so we can at least control it in a granular manner instead of being stuck choosing between "not a challenge" and "bullshit"