Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I'd let a million boomers die to take my dog to the dog park and not get the roni. (either of us)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

There are definitely vitamin D deficient agoraphobes in here mad at the idea of anyone stepping outside of their shame cube.

Get a supplement.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

shovelbum posted:

have you been following coronavirus at all for the last several weeks, all the data suggests people are rapidly giving up on isolating themselves in the face of "everything is fine now" orders in half the country

everyone is packing back into restaurants and movie theaters tighter than before

man i live in this thread and i can tell you that, despite the headlines you see here, most people are still social distancing as much as they can. they are getting antsy tho because being stuck inside forever sucks, humans cannot do it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I miss seeing her wrestle other dogs.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The data says literally the exact opposite, the protests are covered wildly disproportionately.

the protests are an astroturf fig leaf but red america IS rushing headlong into reopening and everyone is loving the poo poo out of it lmao

look at the apple movement data

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

There are definitely vitamin D deficient agoraphobes in here mad at the idea of anyone stepping outside of their shame cube.

weird flex, just take vitamin d pills

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Salt Fish posted:

Get a supplement.

That requires going outside and buying it or getting someone else to put themselves at risk to get it for you.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

I think all the time about how fun it is to go to the local park, and read one of my favorite books (Il Gattopardo by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa) while I'm sitting in the nice warm sun with a gentle breeze blowing by. Since I work at an Amazon warehouse, with a commuting time of several hours by bus each day, my ability to even see the sun during much of the week is inhibited, and I gladly relish the opportunity to do so on my day off. And then at night, I have some computer calls with my friends, or maybe my family, so we can all stay in touch safely, and keep our minds and emotions well-suited to the coming weeks and months. All in all, things are going well!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like this isnt indicative of "everyone is still inside"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

LOOK AT THE APPLE MOVEMENT DATA!!!!!!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Telling people to go to parks is irresponsible. Sorry it sucks staying home but life isn't fair and the virus doesn't give a poo poo about these bullshit compromises. 'well it's ok if you just bike fast enough' is the same as 'drinking water washes the virus into your stomach' folk medicine fiction.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Unless you personally are adamant about not taking any risk for your own sake or living with someone who you could never put at even minimal risk, you're just torturing yourself if you try to be absolutely sure that you don't contract it while there's no actual lockdown (there never was anywhere in America or Europe even though that word has been used) and no attempt to actually eliminate the virus.

Realistically no-fun absolutism is just going to lead to you breaking eventually and doing something silly because you aren't used to thinking in terms of minimizing risk up to some standard of proportional reasonability (such as spending time outdoors in places where people don't congregate). If literally anything is a hard moral failure, you might as well swing hard into the other direction when you fail, right? Unless you're some kind of professional shut-in, you aren't going to last actual *years* walled in.

At least that's my take after having been driven crazy once by taking in the expressed moral standards in this thread. They'd be commendable in a country with an actual elimination effort going on, but pointless self-sacrifice in a country that just wants to keep its R down, if even that.

I'm afraid that there will eventually be a popular backlash when people start feeling like they've been betrayed as they've been doing what they were told but it hasn't seemed like their actions had been making the kind of difference that they had imagined.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Algund Eenboom posted:

LOOK AT THE APPLE MOVEMENT DATA!!!!!!!!

georgia is back up to baseline travel, oklahoma is exceeding it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

That requires going outside and buying it or getting someone else to put themselves at risk to get it for you.

You have to get groceries and grocery stores have vitamin d so it's not adding any social contact. I'm sorry that pandemics are hard and annoying to live through but please try to live through it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

georgia is back up to baseline travel, oklahoma is exceeding it

And the entire rest of the country and the news media apparatus is stopping just short of calling them dumbfucks.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Impeachment 2.0

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The news should call the deplorable imo

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Admiral Ray posted:

man i live in this thread and i can tell you that, despite the headlines you see here, most people are still social distancing as much as they can. they are getting antsy tho because being stuck inside forever sucks, humans cannot do it.

this is why still going outside (while maintaining social distancing) is still a good thing so people just don't loving flip out and start making pipe bombs because they can't go to applebees

that's probably most of the issues we're seeing btw, chuds traditionally only leave their mcmansions to go to lovely restaurants, sporting events, and to get waited on by minorities and now that they can't do that they're going bugfuck crazy

meanwhile social shut-ins that enjoy things like hiking have just kept doing that poo poo but have taken more precautions because of the outbreak

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CalHealthline/status/1257372176346480651?s=20

:thunk:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Telling people to go to parks is irresponsible. Sorry it sucks staying home but life isn't fair and the virus doesn't give a poo poo about these bullshit compromises. 'well it's ok if you just bike fast enough' is the same as 'drinking water washes the virus into your stomach' folk medicine fiction.

coronavirus doesn't even have legs it cannot catch me.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I removed large sectons of wall to bring the outside to me (windows)

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

mastershakeman posted:

Try living in the Midwest

Also "own" means "has giant mortgage"

Atlanta has lots of film and TV and tech people who own homes under 40.

And by own I also mean owe the bank a lot of money.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And the entire rest of the country and the news media apparatus is stopping just short of calling them dumbfucks.

The rest of the country isn't doing much better, here's NC, a middle of the road state with a Dem governor and relatively strict shelter in place especially by non west-coast standards.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here's a real country

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Jazqw9L.gifv

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Admiral Ray posted:

coronavirus doesn't even have legs it cannot catch me.

not sure about that, have you seen some of the drawings :love:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gringostar posted:

this is why still going outside (while maintaining social distancing) is still a good thing so people just don't loving flip out and start making pipe bombs because they can't go to applebees

that's probably most of the issues we're seeing btw, chuds traditionally only leave their mcmansions to go to lovely restaurants, sporting events, and to get waited on by minorities and now that they can't do that they're going bugfuck crazy

meanwhile social shut-ins that enjoy things like hiking have just kept doing that poo poo but have taken more precautions because of the outbreak

I'm coming from biking 6-7 days a week and hiking another 20 miles a week on top of that. When I stopped cycling in early March the sudden halting caused my knees to swell up because they were over producing cartilage and lubricant. If I can make do with my living room workouts anyone can. I have 6 bikes in a room of my apartment, it's one full room dedicated to bike maintenance.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Salt Fish posted:

You have to get groceries and grocery stores have vitamin d so it's not adding any social contact. I'm sorry that pandemics are hard and annoying to live through but please try to live through it.

Why didn't you stock up before hand? I haven't left my apartment in over 50 days now. I'm sorry that you didn't adequately plan.

What about my balcony though? Am I allowed to go out there? What if someone in an apartment upwind of me breathes out virus? Should I go inside if other people go onto their balcony? Please help me with the risk calculus here.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/MikeConnollyMA/status/1257346927374610432

classic chaz baker

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Why didn't you stock up before hand? I haven't left my apartment in over 50 days now. I'm sorry that you didn't adequately plan.

What about my balcony though? Am I allowed to go out there? What if someone in an apartment upwind of me breathes out virus? Should I go inside if other people go onto their balcony? Please help me with the risk calculus here.

I did. I bought 2 extra bottles of vitamin d in February and I still have 1.5 left. I have enough to last until September or so.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Moron Nate: uhhh weren't people supposed to follow the rules? Uhhh ... k

I love how nearly all the models in the 538 model roundup assume that current social distancing policies will be maintained:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/covid-forecasts/

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

not sure about that, have you seen some of the drawings :love:

though it has many appendages, none are legs. i will escape as rona fruitlessly flagellates, lost to the winds of time and lungs of space.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

uncop posted:

I'm afraid that there will eventually be a popular backlash when people start feeling like they've been betrayed as they've been doing what they were told but it hasn't seemed like their actions had been making the kind of difference that they had imagined.

Trump himself just let it slip that they're expecting 200,000 cases A DAY by June 1, this poo poo is just getting started.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you want help gauging appropriate behaviors I recommend looking at a functioning country for example China.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

i did actually buy a shitload of vitamins, but that's for the food shortages.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

If you want help gauging appropriate behaviors I recommend looking at a functioning country for example China.

China explicitly allowed people to go on one walk per day within their neighborhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Admiral Ray posted:

China explicitly allowed people to go on one walk per day within their neighborhoods.

They also hosed down public areas with disinfectant