Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

shovelbum posted:

Here's a real country

what's with the big spike around May 1st?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/1257347727362531330?s=20

hold on to ur butts

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so like the only people secure enough to really care about all this bullshit service economy crap coming back are the olds most likely to get killed? lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eric ciaramella posted:

what's with the big spike around May 1st?

they went down to level 3 lockdown (stricter than anywhere in US still) from level 4 which didnt even have like takeout food and poo poo open

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Salt Fish posted:

I'm coming from biking 6-7 days a week and hiking another 20 miles a week on top of that. When I stopped cycling in early March the sudden halting caused my knees to swell up because they were over producing cartilage and lubricant. If I can make do with my living room workouts anyone can. I have 6 bikes in a room of my apartment, it's one full room dedicated to bike maintenance.

cool, i don't have a bike or a treadmill in my apartment and one of the core activities my gf and i do is go hiking

i'm going to follow her advice on what we should be doing given she's the loving phd in microbiology literally researching cures for this right now and she's 100% fine doing walks around the neighborhood and going to obscure hiking trails

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Nothus posted:

Trump personally wants to crush them to gently caress over Bezos, specifically.

this is hilarious because amazon has gotten away from USPS and has their own delivery drivers

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gringostar posted:

cool, i don't have a bike or a treadmill in my apartment and one of the core activities my gf and i do is go hiking

i'm going to follow her advice on what we should be doing given she's the loving phd in microbiology literally researching cures for this right now and she's 100% fine doing walks around the neighborhood and going to obscure hiking trails

where are you living that the "obscure" trails arent packed in like walruses on a beach

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gringostar posted:

look at the numbers real countries are doing as far as mobility reduction man, they dont include hikes and poo poo

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Admiral Ray posted:

man i live in this thread and i can tell you that, despite the headlines you see here, most people are still social distancing as much as they can. they are getting antsy tho because being stuck inside forever sucks, humans cannot do it.

people in wuhan did it for almost 3 months, westerners just lack the self control

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Admiral Ray posted:

China explicitly allowed people to go on one walk per day within their neighborhoods.

smh those maga chuds don't even think the virus is real!!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Salt Fish posted:

I'm coming from biking 6-7 days a week and hiking another 20 miles a week on top of that. When I stopped cycling in early March the sudden halting caused my knees to swell up because they were over producing cartilage and lubricant. If I can make do with my living room workouts anyone can. I have 6 bikes in a room of my apartment, it's one full room dedicated to bike maintenance.

hmmm you should maybe see a doctor for your weird knees and maybe also your brain.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

viruses respect time served

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

people in wuhan did it for almost 3 months, westerners just lack the self control

yeah exactly this, even the slightest discomfort is the "BIG LUAU" even for non chuds

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

The rest of the country isn't doing much better, here's NC, a middle of the road state with a Dem governor and relatively strict shelter in place especially by non west-coast standards.

Your entire argument assumes that a return to baseline mobility means that no social distancing protocol is in effect or being followed. Driving to a sit-in restaurant in Georgia and driving to pick up take-out while wearing a mask in Massachusetts show up just the same on your metrics. No one is saying that the United States is doing a good job at this. But saying that things are basically back to normal and that coronavirus is nearly out of the newscycle is loving insane.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

where are you living that the "obscure" trails arent packed in like walruses on a beach

if we knew they wouldn't be obscure anymore, duh!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Your entire argument assumes that a return to baseline mobility means that no social distancing protocol is in effect or being followed. Driving to a sit-in restaurant in Georgia and driving to pick up take-out while wearing a mask in Massachusetts show up just the same on your metrics. No one is saying that the United States is doing a good job at this. But saying that things are basically back to normal and that coronavirus is nearly out of the newscycle is loving insane.

driving to pick up take-out while wearing a mask in MA still has a ton of people packed into a kitchen that wouldn't have been there during the Wuhan or NZ lockdowns.

Also peep a red state

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just like put on VR goggles and pace and and forth

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Imagine that some percentage of Americans are going to get this. Call it 70%, but who knows. All I'm asking is that as many cspam posters as possible be in the 30% that don't get sick. Right now that means having less social contact than 70% of other people, putting off anything you can out in public more than the 70% and playing it safer than most other Americans.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Man Musk posted:

South Asia is in pretty bad shape and workers are going unpaid as 1st world retailers cancel manufacturing orders. Things will probably become more apparent in time.

over the weekend friend in Wuhan told me in his building alone a major restaurant and a cosmetic surgery school are completely shuttered, not re-opening.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

shovelbum posted:

yeah exactly this, even the slightest discomfort is the "BIG LUAU" even for non chuds

looking forward to the successor states of the US being about as relevant as tajikistan on the global stage all because americans couldn't stomach the idea of staying home for a month to save their own lives

Salt Fish posted:

Imagine that some percentage of Americans are going to get this. Call it 70%, but who knows. All I'm asking is that as many cspam posters as possible be in the 30% that don't get sick. Right now that means having less social contact than 70% of other people, putting off anything you can out in public more than the 70% and playing it safer than most other Americans.

only 3 confirmed cases in SF's chinatown out of a population of 35,000. also 0 infections among bergamo's 50,000 chinese immigrants. maybe look into what they're doing and adopt

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

shovelbum posted:

i live in OC and there aren't any trails that aren't packed so when she visits me we just go out walking around the neighborhood and local park

she lives near pasadena and there are some good ones in the LA mountains if you're willing to drive to them

also outside of visiting my gf, driving to the store, or driving to trails i've stopped driving all together

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

If you want help gauging appropriate behaviors I recommend looking at a functioning country for example China.

The thing with behaviors in a country like China, South Korea or Vietnam is that people's behaviors are based on an implicit trust that others are doing it too, that they're getting things gone together. Even wearing masks is done with the implicit trust that others are working to secure your access to affordable masks and you won't just be cutting up shirts for months.

People in general just are not doing to take individual initiative to act the same way if others, instead of working with them, actively undermine them by implying that it's silly and unpresentable and scares people and whatever else while society offers them no support and so on.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1257332682683559939?s=20

The world will be divided into those capable of the social cohesion to mitigate the virus and those who dehumanized themselves and faced to Roni.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FAUXTON posted:

They also hosed down public areas with disinfectant

apart from things people touched, like railings and doors, that was pretty much security theater.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

uncop posted:

The thing with behaviors in a country like China, South Korea or Vietnam is that people's behaviors are based on an implicit trust that others are doing it too, that they're getting things gone together. Even wearing masks is done with the implicit trust that others are working to secure your access to affordable masks and you won't just be cutting up shirts for months.

People in general just are not doing to take individual initiative to act the same way if others, instead of working with them, actively undermine them by implying that it's silly and unpresentable and scares people and whatever else while society offers them no support and so on.

Yeah but their society is made of people just like us so why do they trust it at all? Like where does it come from, some of these places have in many ways worse track records on domestic human rights issues than even the US, impressively enough.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

shovelbum posted:

My wife and I go for a 4 mile hike every weekend and the most people I have ever seen on the whole trail is 4. When this all started and I went through my mental file cabinet of all the trails I knew of (been hiking for 25 years in the western carolinas) and picked one that a) had no good views b) no amenities like bathrooms, picnic tables, water fountains and just generally had nothing "interesting" about it. I was correct, it is not very popular.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

apart from things people touched, like railings and doors, that was pretty much security theater.

We don't know enough about the virus to say that, especially when shoes are the one sort of proven surface vector so far. Whatever they did, it worked and our poo poo hasn't at all.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

My wife and I go for a 4 mile hike every weekend and the most people I have ever seen on the whole trail is 4. When this all started and I went through my mental file cabinet of all the trails I knew of (been hiking for 25 years in the western carolinas) and picked one that a) had no good views b) no amenities like bathrooms, picnic tables, water fountains and just generally had nothing "interesting" about it. I was correct, it is not very popular.

no goddamn waterfalls!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

uncop posted:

If only America had an elected leader who could preside over the whole operation to unite the country in a single goal.

Oh well, Trup!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/cost-of-public-transport-should-be-raised-as-lockdown-ends-ifs

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

shovelbum posted:

We don't know enough about the virus to say that, especially when shoes are the one sort of proven surface vector so far. Whatever they did, it worked and our poo poo hasn't at all.

This has been a major problem for me as my nervous tic is to obsessively lick shoes

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

driving to pick up take-out while wearing a mask in MA still has a ton of people packed into a kitchen that wouldn't have been there during the Wuhan or NZ lockdowns.

Also peep a red state

Still not doing to refute my argument of "you're insane for thinking that this is on its way out of the news."

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

this

where i hike now has a sort of view but that's basically it. no water, no bathrooms, and there is a fairly large section that is totally exposed

to get there we drive by about 10 other trails that are way more popular and this weekend there was a ton of people at those trail heads

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

shovelbum posted:

no goddamn waterfalls!

Correct! also it is < 30 min away. Also I ride my bike through the country quite often!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

uh that cdc report is loving alarming

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Still not doing to refute my argument of "you're insane for thinking that this is on its way out of the news."

we're doing the worst job possible, the disease is rapidly escalating, and people are ignoring it and returning to their previous comfortable lives out of habit bc they despise and hide the old and infirm and see 1/500 as 0

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

what are you even arguing about

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

My work uses one of these:

Taken from the test department. It's not exactly designed for taking human body temperatures, so it tends to get readings of 69-92 :newlol:

Yeah, these need to calibrated for the surface you are measuring on, its also effected by the colour of a surface pretty heavily.
I've had my concerns about the accuracy of this practice for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shovelbum posted:

we're doing the worst job possible, the disease is rapidly escalating, and people are ignoring it and returning to their previous comfortable lives out of habit bc they despise and hide the old and infirm and see 1/500 as 0

yeah this doesn't mean it's going out of the news