Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

kumba posted:

call it more of a subconscious thing, where scum often feel they have to give themselves an "out" when knowingly voting for a townie

it's obviously in jest; jest or not, the fact you wrote it there is enough imo

This is an extremely weak reason to hold onto a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Both?

It seems like you're accusing Tom Tucker of preemptively making the initial case on someone who he knew people were bound to find scummy. But you could make this accusation about any case. I'm not sure there is evidence that a bunch of people were gearing up to vote LordNad before Tom voted him, unless you count my one word gut vote on LordNad.
Here is what I think: assuming TT is scum and both Nad and Liger are town, TT sees Nad making a case on Liger, but it's a bad case. "I do not think this case will survive", thinks hypothetical Tom, "and that means one of my buddies may end up Going Away today. But if it crumbles, people will be annoyed with Nad. If I can start building a bandwagon against him now, when that happens everyone will vote Nad instead, and it'll still be a townie who gets removed, and if the case doesn't crumble after all, I get townie cred for having called it out early."

Does that make sense?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

i would still be voting him had that entire exchange not happened

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

further, it would also be an extremely weak reason to change my vote

dislike this post

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Here is what I think: assuming TT is scum and both Nad and Liger are town, TT sees Nad making a case on Liger, but it's a bad case. "I do not think this case will survive", thinks hypothetical Tom, "and that means one of my buddies may end up Going Away today. But if it crumbles, people will be annoyed with Nad. If I can start building a bandwagon against him now, when that happens everyone will vote Nad instead, and it'll still be a townie who gets removed, and if the case doesn't crumble after all, I get townie cred for having called it out early."

Does that make sense?

If you assume Tom Tucker is scum I suppose it works, but why make that assumption when there's a simpler way this went down: Tom saw LordNad's bad case and said to himself "hmm this case looks scummy."

As the punctuation to your case it's not very convincing, so I'm wondering if you have a better bullet point reason for thinking Tom is scum than this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

kumba posted:

dislike this post

You're the one framing his "BUT blue cheese" bit as a concerning psychological tell. It's weak and furthermore it's not very honest to pretend this is some serious out:

kumba posted:

huh, town read on me out of nowhere, hedged "BUT..."

yeah i'm good with my vote

putting my mafia dad hat on here: regardless of your alignment :justpost:

Liger shouldn't have had to point out it was an obvious joke line.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kumba posted:

dislike this post
You don't need to change your vote (but you should) but doubling down on it for blue cheese is extremely stupid.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
blue cheese is extremely stupid (and also bad)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kumba posted:

THATS IT YOUR SCUM

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you assume Tom Tucker is scum I suppose it works, but why make that assumption when there's a simpler way this went down: Tom saw LordNad's bad case and said to himself "hmm this case looks scummy."

As the punctuation to your case it's not very convincing, so I'm wondering if you have a better bullet point reason for thinking Tom is scum than this.
I don't like his case against Nad and I especially don't like how he's posting a ton of words in very long posts that don't actually say much at all when you boil them down.

I freely admit I'm a bit on edge with him, as he was scum in HP mafia and he juked the everloving fork out of me several times in that game, but he also posted a lot of long posts that didn't say much at all there too. So when I see hiim going on an over-detailed attack on Nad that has a lot of white noise in it, I get twitchy.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

kumba posted:

merk also said he was unavailable over the weekend

OFFICER LIGER posted:

merk said earlier he wasnt going to be available for a couple of days which is why he hasnt been posting.

Right, and if it was just a matter of not posting, I wouldn't care. The fact that he posts a couple of drive-by's propped up on popsicle sticks and glue just to be seen is worth fingering him with suspicion.

:heysexy:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I don't like his case against Nad and I especially don't like how he's posting a ton of words in very long posts that don't actually say much at all when you boil them down.

I think this is a funny bullet point summary to come out of a post where you quoted Tom eleven times.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
I am also out of town and will be home tonight. Expect a few posts from me later. I am trying to get reads, but it's been a while since I've played and I've forgotten anyone's tells. Also I don't remember how to play.

I've been trying to stay up-to-date on the thread, but something about reading on the phone makes it so hard to keep people straight.

From the hip, TT always looks like scum to me, especially because of all the posts, but im remiss to vote against active players early. Something about how Voodoofly is posting isn't sitting right with me, but I don't have an actual case. I also agree with the one or two other people that have mentioned Yuming's behavior also seems strange. LordNad case seems weak, Liger case seems reasonable, but also not very substantial. I can see why it's gaining traction, because Liger is just acting really inconsistently.

Sorry this isn't anything useful, yet. I don't have any strong town reads from anyone at all at this moment, but I think its improbable that Amnistar is scum, so probably the only person I wouldn't vote for right now. Everyone else is suspect.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think this is a funny bullet point summary to come out of a post where you quoted Tom eleven times.
Yes well when I do it I'm town!

(I'm aware I trend to megaposts and wordiness, the hypocrisy did not escape me)

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Khris Kruel posted:

I have no idea why y'all are giving Liger a town pass, he is worthless and doing his best attempt to keep us in joke vote phase

This is a better case against LIGER than your earlier one about his vote for amnistar.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

The Ninth Layer posted:

Both?

It seems like you're accusing Tom Tucker of preemptively making the initial case on someone who he knew people were bound to find scummy. But you could make this accusation about any case. I'm not sure there is evidence that a bunch of people were gearing up to vote LordNad before Tom voted him, unless you count my one word gut vote on LordNad.

I don't think I agree with how Andy constructed the case against Tom. However I am leary of Tom's lord Nad votes is the flipping away from it when Lord Nad gave some resistance, then when people gave support going back on the vote. Though I suppose that I would think that Tom as scum would stick on the case even with resistance. Along with tom casing multiple people, I think I'm fine with Tom.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

kumba posted:

What is your case on Liger? I've read your posts a few times and still don't really get it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

hambeet posted:

It’s day one with a gazillion hours left and what I’d consider some pretty good day 1 content, and you’re suggesting we pursue the lurker’s?

Do you have anything better? You have a lot of "these are bad" but nothing else.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I'm swapping over to kid care at 1:00, so probably way less posting until he is down. .

Here is where I am:

quote:

1. Officer Liger: Made a joke vote, got jumped. Defending himself is nothing to me. Not posting anything else sucks. would vote if nothing changes.
2. Jose Valasquez: Nothing to analyze. Would vote
3. Khris Kruel: Agree with his stance on Liger. Don’t want to vote.
4. Amnistar: Don’t want to vote.
5. CapnAndy: It’s andy, he will probably miss the hammer on LYLO. Calling TT scum for posting a shitton of rebuttals is funny, but don’t want to vote a content poster.
6. Tom Tucker: posts TT content, nothing really OOO. Definitely don’t want to vote.
7. Zzyzx: Don’t agree with his vote on Liger but prefer it to Nad. Feels day 1ish
10. Kumba: didn’t know game was starting. What is the case on Liger?
11. Merk: gets a pass
12. Varinn: needs to post more. Would vote
13. 50lbs of Bread: needs to post more. Would vote
14. The Ninth Layer: don’t want to vote
15. Sandwolf: never vote sandy
16. Token Female: who knows
17. Hambeet: don’t know them, no real content. Would vote
18. Jivjov: first game
19. Vivat Virtue (MIR): needs to post more. Had a vote but was confused. Would vote
20. Yuming: decent posts, would flip stance on zzy and nad. Don’t want to vote
21. LordNad: has content, don’t agree. Don’t like “scum if 4 votes earlier”. Would vote of the content posters.
22. Deadbeat Dad: neutral.
23. Jamuraan: pass until he returns. Need to post more.
24. CCKeane: need to post more. Would vote.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

A few things jumped in today, will post more to ight, sorry to friends and ill winds to my enemies.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Does that make sense?

Tom is one of the last people I'd vote right now. Do you have thoughts on anyone else? I went back over your posts sure I would say I wanted to vote for you but I don't any more, even if I owe you from all those need for speed losses.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

Tom is one of the last people I'd vote right now. Do you have thoughts on anyone else? I went back over your posts sure I would say I wanted to vote for you but I don't any more, even if I owe you from all those need for speed losses.
I think Liger is town and I think Nad is town with a bad case, that's it so far.

Also my LYLO conduct is impeccable thank you very much.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Token Female posted:

I don't think I agree with how Andy constructed the case against Tom. However I am leary of Tom's lord Nad votes is the flipping away from it when Lord Nad gave some resistance, then when people gave support going back on the vote. Though I suppose that I would think that Tom as scum would stick on the case even with resistance. Along with tom casing multiple people, I think I'm fine with Tom.

Tokes, I say this with love: I don't think I will ever figure you out in mafia games.

Do you not agree with Andy or do you think Andy's argument is scummy?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

LordNad posted:

Liger could have joke voted earlier than Varinn and it wouldn't have registered as scummy to me.
. . .

Voodoofly posted:

Reading over you and Tom's back and forth, this is the one I don't get? The two posts were within 40 minutes of each other with back and forth between him and Amni. Early on day 1. With like four total posts in between them. When I voted I completely missed that he was joking in the first vote, and found the serious then a delayed joke vote scummy.

But you are saying that if he votes 4 posts earlier in the thread its a joke, but four posts and forty minutes later where the only real change was one post by Varin makes it a scum move?
Reading over you and Tom's back and forth, this is the one I don't get? The two posts were within 40 minutes of each other with back and forth between him and Amni. Early on day 1. With like four total posts in between them. When I voted I completely missed that he was joking in the first vote, and found the serious then a delayed joke vote scummy.

But you are saying that if he votes 4 posts earlier in the thread its a joke, but four posts and forty minutes later where the only real change was one post by Varin makes it a scum move?

I don't want this to get lost, as it's still the biggest issue I have with people who have been posting content.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Voodoofly posted:

Tokes, I say this with love: I don't think I will ever figure you out in mafia games.

Do you not agree with Andy or do you think Andy's argument is scummy?

I don't think his argument is scummy. I for the most part don't agree with it. I think Tom is more likely to be town at this point.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Token Female posted:

I don't think his argument is scummy. I for the most part don't agree with it. I think Tom is more likely to be town at this point.

Do you have anything other than a willingness to vote Nad at this point?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

yuming posted:

Hi DBD, how is it going :sun:

Who do you think is scum now?

I don't have any definite "this person is 100% scum" thoughts but I'll tell you what sort of reads I feel good on:

I don't get MiR's/vivat's snipe on me which I've asked for an explanation a few times when I explained it to Tucker already prior to the snipe in the first place. Reminds me of the KCW/Miku "cases"/votes in HP (who both flipped scum) but I didn't want to be too OMGUS about it in that game. Come at me with good stuff or you'll get doubted.

I think the ensuing Amni stuff was weird, including your vote on it. Basically anybody involved that inferred way too much doubt about a vig shooting felt weird to me. Didn't like Varinn's posts on it. Didn't like the votes on Amni because of it, especially because I think he was mis-characterized as a vig that was going to shoot and coast the rest of the game.

Not seeing all of the Liger stuff either, I agree with most of his posts.

##vote Varinn

Would also vote MiR, yuming, or anybody else who tried to make something big out of the vig shot being a "scum power/thing". Scum usually need something to sink their teeth into content wise on D1 and that was a perfect opportunity to sow confusion. I'm willing to give Amni the benefit of the doubt until some other stuff happens, or.. hell... if his posting was too scummy to ignore, I wouldn't even factor in the vig as something that should be "points" for his town. But he just seems like every other D1 vig that hit or missed.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Voodoofly posted:

Do you have anything other than a willingness to vote Nad at this point?

Sure!

I'm suspicious of Hambeet.

hambeet posted:

It’s day one with a gazillion hours left and what I’d consider some pretty good day 1 content, and you’re suggesting we pursue the lurker’s?

In addition to basically saying that we should ignore the lurkers (in the above post) there has been some posting but minimal analysis. It seems like hambeet is around, lurking and saying that we shouldn't target lurkers but one of the active posters instead. I don't like this. ##vote hambeet

I would say I'm suspicious of (in addition to Lord Nad):
Varinn: I don't agree with his reads, and I feel like he's more reserved than I remember him. This is meta and a weak read.
jivjov: I find his vote on LIGER to be weak. I know that JJ is new to mafia, but I know that JJ has played a bunch of SA survivor games. It feels like JJ is very uncomfortable posting, and I read that as scummy.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yuming's post about Hambeer

A good callout of a low-content posted! The point that Hambeet argues we have a lot of good content, yet is not doing anything with that content, is indeed suspicious. Scummy read on Hambeet - good point Yuming!

Capn Andy's post on Liger / LordNad

Andy correctly puts the Liger posts in context and we agree on the read. Andy also point out the doubling / tripling down of LordNad, but we draw opposite conclusions from it. That's fine - I'm waffling on LordNad anyway, with leaning more towards scum on LordNad after re-reading and re-thinking the "admission" word usage in context (of admitting nothing). Capn Andy reads town.

Kumba's lurker explanation is plausible I remember seeing something about the game starting Sunday too. But then this:

kumba posted:

so far, in summary:

leaning scum on varinn & liger

leaning town on zzyzx & lordnad

when i was reading through i thought one of yuming's posts pinged my gut but i just read through all her posts again and i don't see it. perhaps in context i'll find it again but don't have time for that at the moment

##vote officer liger

realvote

Bandwagon vote with no explanation (literally no explanation) then followed up with a "clarification" and I went "oh OK we're going to hear why they want to vote Liger" but nope. Very suspicious. The next point they make is:

kumba posted:

huh, town read on me out of nowhere, hedged "BUT..."

yeah i'm good with my vote

Responding to Liger saying "but the blue cheese line has me worried" - implying that this is a hedge is super weird, and not nearly enough to imply the "I'm good with my vote" confidence and finality, it almost cuts of conversation on the reasons for the vote, which is convenient, because Kumba hasn't EXPLAINED the vote. Strong suspicion of Kumba, I'd vote them day 1 based on this.

Khris Kruel posted:

I haven't seen any defense of Liger other than "ah my gut feels".

Liger hasn't given any content to the thread and is basically a lurker. He put a scummy 3rd vote on Amni when there were two serious votes, and he then spent time defending himself.

He's given no reads and his lynch would satisfy Tom Tucker's lynching a lurker

KK this is true that Liger hasn't been adding content, but I'd like to clarify that I think we should look at low content posters I am not advocating for a day 1 lurker launch. My defense of him is that I don't think scum would stick their necks out of behave the way he has for exactly the reason that he has drawn unwarranted attention. The fact that he's a poo poo poster is well taken and perfectly valid in advocating for his launch.

Andy I will follow up on your post of me in a separate post!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
why did you leave out my post between the two you quoted

kumba posted:

i should clarify that my read on varinn is based on one post, and my read on liger is based on more, so i feel stronger about that hence the vote that way

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I have like 7 posts and two of the first three I quote liger directly, it's not difficult to determine why my vote is where it is

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Andy on your vote, I will spare everyone the wall of text about the wall of text about the wall of text and try to distill your main ideas, let me know if I'm mis-characterizing anything.

1) I generally don't try to limit my posts to just one topic. In this case I said I was going to go back and review (in the post just above what you quoted) people who I think quoted Liger's joke "I'd need more" post opportunistically. Doing that brought me to VooDoo and LordNad, reviewing VooDoo gave me a townie vibe, reviewing LordNad gave me a scum vibe so I dove in.

2) I'm saying joke votes don't build momentum on the people they are voting. No one is coming into the thread and seeing Liger's obvious joke vote on Amni and going "ah yes good point let's launch them", the only time they'd vote is if they are putting another joke vote on top. These votes may as well not exist because they don't actually do anything. LordNad's case may have built momentum, but his was a serious case. Is this what you meant? I'm a little confused on what you mean by "things that didn't happen".

3) I guess you're agreeing with LordNad's general idea, I think it's absurd. I can't imagine any scum mindset where you stick your neck out as the third vote with a joke vote and expect that to push momentum then hop off and the momentum continues - no matter if it works or not you're going to be drawing a TON of attention. I can see scum doing this as some sort of impulsive shitposting, which I think is a valid point to make against Liger, but not as some grand day-1 scheme to advance an Amni launch. I think you are putting too much weight into the Amni votes themselves as well as the reasoning for them. A bandwagon or tidal wave DIDN'T form. Liger unvoted, then later Yuming did. Amni's case never had any real momentum, and Liger slapping a dumb joke vote on that was guaranteed to draw attention to himself had zero to negative chance of driving it forward. Doing it was not a rational scum move it was clearly dumb and inconsistent. I see no scum motivations behind it as Liger, as scum, would have nothing to gain.

4) OK you're getting into the "pulling of the vote" - this is where the opportunism comes in. No matter WHAT Liger does he gets heat, that's why it's such a stupid scum move. SO STUPID a scum move. If he keeps his vote "wtf why are you keeping your joke vote on a real launch candidate" if he pulls his vote "wtf why are you unvoting you're trying to have it both ways". That's what makes it so opportunistic - Liger stupidly put himself in a lose / lose situation, and those who are pointing to his actions as if to say "ah ha here is how scum would behave" are being disingenuous if they don't think the other choice Liger has wouldn't have been equally easy to pounce on him for. To me when Liger was told he was being an idiot, this was a real candidate, and he should unvote, he did, that's a town move, and goes against the "chaos scums shitposter" argument.

5) Your point about townies being put in a corner is well taken, but I don't think it's equal. When I'm scum I feel hunted and it's a 10x more stressful experience. My death also means much more on a % of team basis than town, making stakes higher. When I'm townie and I change my mind I'm happy to say so because I want to be right. When you're scum you don't actually have a mind to change since you're making poo poo up so when called on it the natural response is more to double down. Your perspective on this may vary, this has been mine, townies are just more open-minded, scum are scared of being seen as flipping around, and more likely to double down.

6) Your main complaint throughout the post appears to be saying that I am making a point that LordNad is simply "stating facts" which is suspicious while I do the same. I would argue I am not doing the same thing. If I were simply stating facts I would say "LordNad used the word 'admission' here when discussing Liger." If I did other people could read it, go "huh that is weird", and then start wondering themselves, maybe moving them closer to LordNad, but I wouldn't be on the hook for pushing it - I was just stating facts. That was the first thing that caught my eye about LordNad, and it's surely possible I applied it too widely when it was really just that first post, but I think the point remains fair and I'd argue my posts are not drive-by things like "Liger made this post then made this post, voted, with 12 minutes in between" but actually try to create narrative, ascribe motives, and put these facts into a broader context with a designed persuasive argument in mind. I personally think they do but I'll accept the town's judgement if Andy is right and I'm being hypocritical on it.

CapnAndy posted:

No, I think the real voter of opportunity today is the guy who saw someone trying to build a silly case, recognized that he was going to draw blowback for it, and decided to see if he could get a bandwagon rolling in that direction instead.

##vote TT

This is ultimately a good sign, though! I think we are fundamentally in agreement about the basic principles of my argument, which is encouraging bandwagons on votes of opportunity is bad - we just disagree on who has been doing that. LordNad believes Liger was doing it on Amni, I think LordNad was doing it on Liger, and you think I was doing it on LordNad, and if you continue this thread someone else could argue that you're doing it to me (I don't think you are, for the record, and would argue with anyone who did). The question is which of these is the true vote of opportunity. I say LordNad, for the reasons I've talked about, and you say me. I understand LordNad already had two votes on him when I voted him, but one was a joke and the other was a simple "gut" vote, I don't think that's enough to warrant an opportunistic vote to push a bandwagon as scum. Liger, on the other hand, had hung himself out to try, and was in my mind the perfect candidate to jump on because it's so low-risk.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

kumba posted:

I have like 7 posts and two of the first three I quote liger directly, it's not difficult to determine why my vote is where it is

drat you're right - I missed the post where you 100% agree with voodoo, the other post you mention is where you just say your vote is based on "more". The "more" is unclear though as you just agree with a voodoofly post and disagree with a point Liger was making on a townread, ther'es not a lot of "more" there. Either way I did miss the post where you agree with voodoo so credit there, mea culpa, and downgrade my suspicion.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

What’s a survivor game? I’ve completely ignored jibjuv as I’ll be damned if I’m voting a new player day 1 but sounds like he is maybe not a new player?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

New player as in new to the general community.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Voodoofly posted:

What’s a survivor game? I’ve completely ignored jibjuv as I’ll be damned if I’m voting a new player day 1 but sounds like he is maybe not a new player?

Not mafia survivor, but Survivor the game, played on something awful.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

kumba posted:

I’m asking. You quote my vote but I’ve already said that vote was based on total miscomprehension.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tom Tucker posted:

I will spare everyone the wall of text about the wall of text about the wall of text

LIAR!!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I meant I wasn't going to interleave quotes X-COM 2: Chimaera Squad style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah I've played forums Survivor a few times now, but mafia's a completely different beast - no challenges or immunity idols or anything.

I'm a bit uncomfortable posting mostly becuase I'm literally still trying to match names to avatars and such, and get everyone sorted out as individuals. I'm used to a game where I only am directing interacting with like...8 or so people at the start rather than over 20.