Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Blistex posted:

In a Teams meeting right now, the principal is talking about student numbers for September. It really feels like the people left behind on the Titanic talking about when they are arriving in New York.

This pandemic has killed almost no kids, but apparently this was a thing with the 1917/1918 flu. Kids came back to school the next year, and there were ... fewer of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ While the fatality rate of people under a certain age is very, very low, schools and schoolchildren are super-spreaders who take it home and infect others. Any teacher will tell you how fast something like a particular cold, pink eye, or even head-lice can spread, and none of those are apparently as easily passed on as Covid.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the psychological trauma of losing half the population alone would be loving insane, not even counting the impact on infrastructure.

I started typing out an effort post on infrastructure, but what you're alluding to can be summed up in one sentence.

When you're looking at half of your population being dead, the impact on infrastructure would be, "we no longer have this infrastructure in 75% of the country", or "we no longer have it at all" because we either don't have the manpower to maintain it, the manufacturing capacity to repair/replace it, or we no longer have the knowledge base and skilled operators to keep it running.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 4, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
as much as i respect a hustle the lone ice cream truck out right now blaring that music between ambulance sirens is some next level purge movie poo poo

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This pandemic has killed almost no kids, but apparently this was a thing with the 1917/1918 flu. Kids came back to school the next year, and there were ... fewer of them.

I think it's during the second wave they were affected the most but I am not sure. I know for sure that the second wave was far deadlier then the first one here in Canada however but don't know how it reflected on the kids death itself.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's going to be a mess if we go back to in-class learning in the Fall. Kids are awful at cleanliness, and cannot physically stay away from each other. I can only imagine the number of "ha ha ha, I gave you coronavirus!" jokes I'll hear from my students if we head back to the classrooms.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Almost exactly a year ago today, humans across the planet paid record-breaking amounts of money to watch a fictional story about using any means necessary to stop a threat from wiping out half the human race.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
from “if you shop for food you are not taking this seriously” to “fifty percent of the population dying would be fine” this has been a wild couple of pages

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bonaventure posted:

from “if you shop for food you are not taking this seriously” to “fifty percent of the population dying would be fine” this has been a wild couple of pages

ok but what about those of us who would like a haircut!?!?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

CowboyAndy posted:

It's going to be a mess if we go back to in-class learning in the Fall. Kids are awful at cleanliness, and cannot physically stay away from each other. I can only imagine the number of "ha ha ha, I gave you coronavirus!" jokes I'll hear from my students if we head back to the classrooms.

Lol yeah I’m gunna die, my students were joking during video class that next year they were going to buy me a bubble boy plastic ball so that I don’t get the Roni. I was like then if I give you too much work you can push me down the stairs.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
eh 50% off the top, just a trim

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tipps posted:

Almost exactly a year ago today, humans across the planet paid record-breaking amounts of money to watch a fictional story about using any means necessary to stop a threat from wiping out half the human race.

1917? I get the flu parallels but I think you're overstating WW1

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Lol yeah I’m gunna die, my students were joking during video class that next year they were going to buy me a bubble boy plastic ball so that I don’t get the Roni. I was like then if I give you too much work you can push me down the stairs.

I would invest in bubble boy balls for all of my students, Roni or not.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

1917? I get the flu parallels but I think you're overstating WW1

Come on man, I hardly ever watch Marvel movies and even I know what "half the human race" is referencing.

*snaps fingers at u*

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chomp8645 posted:

*snaps fingers at u*

waiter i requested this water 7 minutes ago

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Come on man, I hardly ever watch Marvel movies and even I know what "half the human race" is referencing.

*snaps fingers at u*
Wouldn't that be half of everything

And a fraction of infinity is still infinity. What a dumb movie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

canyoneer posted:

ok but what about those of us who would like a haircut!?!?

Manicure my cold dead hands!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tipps posted:

Hell of a loving flick

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

as much as i respect a hustle the lone ice cream truck out right now blaring that music between ambulance sirens is some next level purge movie poo poo

I live in a pretty poor area of LA and the ice cream guy’s been out every day since this started. The one I saw had two people in the truck, one handling the cash, the other preparing the ice cream, both masked and gloved up at least.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Americans sure seem conflicted about their mask situation.

https://twitter.com/jjenna/status/1256708767317712896?s=19

https://twitter.com/RolfFunCycleIII/status/1256800317502603264

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I can't talk too much poo poo cos I'm from the uk but holy poo poo america wtf are you doing? The videos of the anti lockdown protests are mental.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

CowboyAndy posted:

I heard, back in March, kids were playing Tag and instead of saying, "You're it!", they were saying, "Corona!".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t judge me I just like to carry my gun around it makes me feel like a big man

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bird with big dick posted:

Don’t judge me I just like to carry my gun around it makes me feel like a big man

bird with big iron

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ruddiger posted:

I feel like this is ordinary behavior outside of a public health crisis by white people in Flint though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I got banned from Spore for making a bird with a big dick. Probably because I named it Bird With A Big Dick.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

People in my country has done some really stupid poo poo (that you can see on the mestizone thread and any other news media) but hahahaha you guys are the worst.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Well, they won't have anyone telling them what to do in prison! Oh, wait...

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/L3YQXvF.gifv

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

^^ Poifect

twit666 posted:

I heard, back in March, kids were playing Tag and instead of saying, "You're it!", they were saying, "Corona!".

I do wonder how the playground games will mutate after all this. Because the kids experience of all this will be incorporated into them. This being just one example.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hey guys I wasn’t sure where to ask this, but figured y’all may know: can you collect unemployment if you tell your job you are going to self isolate?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AFAIK if your business is open and you’re not furloughed then not going to work is equivalent to quitting which means no unemployment.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

bird with big dick posted:

AFAIK if your business is open and you’re not furloughed then not going to work is equivalent to quitting which means no unemployment.

That is what I thought too :( I have a friend that is planning on maybe self isolating and collecting unemployment and I got worried. It’s loving nuts that I (furloughed) make more money doing nothing than the people still working and putting themselves at risk.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Everyone is so caught up on the numbers with this thing. How long is someone able to infect others? How many people can one person infect? How long until a vaccine?

Has anyone tried just asking the drat virus how it's feeling? Im no fancy pants psycho therapist or nothin but I know when people lash out they usually got some bad juju going on at home. Maybe all covid-19 needs is someone to open up too... I'm going to attempt contact.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

remigious posted:

Hey guys I wasn’t sure where to ask this, but figured y’all may know: can you collect unemployment if you tell your job you are going to self isolate?

You can't collect unemployment unless you were explicitly laid off or furloughed without pay. Alternatively, if you were fired without legitimate cause but that's irrelevant in this scenario.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah unemployment is specifically designed to make sure it never gives employees any leverage over employers

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You can't collect unemployment unless you were explicitly laid off or furloughed without pay. Alternatively, if you were fired without legitimate cause but that's irrelevant in this scenario.

I'm interested to see how they are going to go through the extra 6 million unemployment claims per state to find out who is legitimately qualified. Im honestly shocked the unemployment system didn't instantly vaporize from the rush that started a few weeks ago. How is any system prepared for that?

My claim was approved but uh my situation is unique. I look forward to the grand reopening of the debtors prisons this summer and look forward to seeing some of you there!

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 4, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I can't talk too much poo poo cos I'm from the uk but holy poo poo america wtf are you doing? The videos of the anti lockdown protests are mental.

Every year the news confirm that Republicans and Evangelicals are literally death cults. It's not a metaphor. They lust for death, even if unconsciously

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Munin posted:

I do wonder how the playground games will mutate after all this. Because the kids experience of all this will be incorporated into them. This being just one example.
Not in any kind of lasting way. The plague story about Ring Around the Rosie is total bullshit. When we were kids, we didn't do playground games about the Spanish flu or even about polio

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I'm interested to see how they are going to go through the extra 6 million unemployment claims per state to find out who is legitimately qualified. Im honestly shocked the unemployment system didn't instantly vaporize from the rush that started a few weeks ago. How is any system prepared for that?

My claim was approved but uh my situation is unique. I look forward to the grand reopening of the debtors prisons this summer and look forward to seeing some of you there!

The unemployment systems are not coping and poo poo is indeed falling over all over the place.\

Anne Whateley posted:

Not in any kind of lasting way. The plague story about Ring Around the Rosie is total bullshit. When we were kids, we didn't do playground games about the Spanish flu or even about polio

Well yeah. They were in no way relevant to your experience. This has had a rather more direct impact on school kids today. I would expect them to impact some of today's stuff and linger one, perhaps mutated for another decade or so. Perhaps as simply known about bariations which are not "in fashion" these days.

Slight aside, this is a nice podcast about the topic of playground games: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00017sj

Munin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Wouldn't that be half of everything

And a fraction of infinity is still infinity. What a dumb movie.

Thanos's wish was kind of dumb really.

If you thought the universe was overpopulated and wanted to kill 50% of all life, which one would you choose?

A)A coin flip for every individual life.

B)Randomly from the total life.

Because he chose A, and all it did was punish low pop civilisations and barely dent high pop ones, the imbalance remains.

Thanos was almost right.