Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

the guy i work with was complaining today because he went to wendys over the weekend and ordered a triple and they said they are only doing singles or doubles because they are rationing beef

he said he cancelled his order and went to mcdonalds instead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

im the 25% of model runs that end in 500k+ cases per day

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

I'm smoking right now getting my vitamin D

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Crazyweasel posted:

it kind of bungles my mind that there is still misinformation or just straight up missing information on how this is transmitted. Like people want to go out and poo poo is going to reopen, but you’d hope there’s be at least updated/better studies transmission info, but alas keep 6 ft away maybe and also wash your hands every now and then!!! wear a mask! wow helpful! maybe tell people exactly how they can shop safely, walk outside/exercise safely, go to dr appointments safely, etc. at least try and mitigate the crazies

Lol it's because there is no truly safe way to do any of that poo poo, so this garbage compromises give employers just enough cover to force all of us wage slaves back into the trenches

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

Shovelbum are your 20+ posts per page to try and convince us that the US is bad? Because I dont think anyone disagrees?

Or is it like, we should kill ourselves because nothing will ever improve? Or are you hoping someone will talk you out of feeling suicidally hopeless? What's the angle here

idk im just chatting about coronavirus

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

glad the cdc model and the cspam model intersect in many ways

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

it kind of bungles my mind that there is still misinformation or just straight up missing information on how this is transmitted. Like people want to go out and poo poo is going to reopen, but you’d hope there’s be at least updated/better studies transmission info, but alas keep 6 ft away maybe and also wash your hands every now and then!!! wear a mask! wow helpful! maybe tell people exactly how they can shop safely, walk outside/exercise safely, go to dr appointments safely, etc. at least try and mitigate the crazies

:agreed:

that's what the news and all should be focusing on, too, not these loving chud-rear end protests and the president

the cdc (?) said you don't need to disinfect groceries because there's no evidence of surface contact transmission but honestly, how do they know that? at all? how do they know that every single case has been airborne? we don't!

especially when it can last 72 hours at room temperature on smooth surfaces, and (other coronaviruses) even longer in the fridge and freezer. why risk it. why assume it's not a vector. why

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Also it's so loving obvious that the "peak" was skewed by new york and that the true peak is going to be off the hook insane lmao

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

it's about control and liability

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

their gonna ride straight from the trail to ur grocery store to buy some Smart Water

Doing some "sick" wheelies

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My assumption too (I'm sure someone itt has done a deep dive on this that I missed) is that all the homemade masks everyone is using won't actually stop you from getting it, just spreading it around as much and since even at places like grocery stores they're all using homemade masks if at all so it's kind of an inevitable risk unless you have the money to have purchased 6+ months of supplies in February and live completely alone and have a fake computer job or are wealthy enough to not need to work

But :laffo: at the "you will die if you step outside your home to get the mail" posting

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crazyweasel posted:

Yeah, kinda sucks because by now it'd be really cool to have clear and easily available data on poo poo like how long it lives on surfaces and how much of the risk is from walking in to a cloud of it from someone who coughed vs touching something after it settles or from their dirty hands.

Also some government releases about why masks are important and having leadership wearing them in public would also be awesome.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

reminder that the cdc is directly responsible for several outbreaks, especially the one in seattle, where cdc personnel entered a quarantine housing some of the country's first cases from a cruise ship in the Seattle area. After ignoring the quarantine and interacting with most of the infected, these personnel went to shops and restaurants in the seattle area for weeks and then flew back to atlanta/dc/ny

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, kinda sucks because by now it'd be really cool to have clear and easily available data on poo poo like how long it lives on surfaces and how much of the risk is from walking in to a cloud of it from someone who coughed vs touching something after it settles or from their dirty hands.

Also some government releases about why masks are important and having leadership wearing them in public would also be awesome.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

kaleedity posted:

reminder that the cdc is directly responsible for several outbreaks, especially the one in seattle, where cdc personnel entered a quarantine housing some of the country's first cases from a cruise ship in the Seattle area. After ignoring the quarantine and interacting with most of the infected, these personnel went to shops and restaurants in the seattle area for weeks and then flew back to atlanta/dc/ny

absolutely amazing

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

euphronius posted:

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

im a pessimist but this looks way too dire. it doesnt match whats happening anywhere else. only some places are ending the lockdown too early because hurrrr and theyre not the most densely populated ones

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

kaleedity posted:

word in the international public health community is that CDC was absolutely gutted and trashed by the trump admin, more grifters and fools than real docs left over there

gently caress donald trump, gently caress fauci, gently caress birx, gently caress all of them

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/juliejaycomedy/status/1256524338305662976

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Yeah, and add this to the list of things people now believe "help"

if it's no touch then why does it have a handle??? (??)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crazyweasel posted:

The data is out there, it's just that nobody in charge wants to deal with the implications. It's not 6 ft, it's more like 13 ft. People are contagious for days before they feel sick. It can persist for hours aerosolized in still air.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
TBH I don't bother disinfecting, one of my roommates is an administrator at a hospital treating covid patients and the risk of catching it from food is orders of magnitude less than catching it from her

I wear the mask not because I'm scared of catching it, I wear the mask to cut down on potential asymptomatic spread on my part

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/reggieaqui/status/1257390435296739342?s=20

i thought da surge was coming in may good thing we are opening up, but apparently our state's got 10,000+ ventilators on standby? but then again we got a pop of 30 mil plus?

makes u think :ca:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

poty posted:

im a pessimist but this looks way too dire. it doesnt match whats happening anywhere else. only some places are ending the lockdown too early because hurrrr and theyre not the most densely populated ones

i wonder what's different in the us than anywhere else

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

But :laffo: at the "you will die if you step outside your home to get the mail" posting

that's not what these posts are saying. they're saying don't take unnecessary risks, because that just prolongs this stupid rear end crisis.

christ.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I want to go camping so badly. I'm so sad and despondent about everything because I really just want to sit in the wilderness for a few days a week and ignore "reality" but I can't bring myself to leave my apartment because I'm afraid of others no matter how far away I go backcountry

I just want to hike until my legs give out then set up camp and drink coffee and make some mac n cheese and listen to the whip-poor-wills away from humans

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

fits my needs posted:

i thought da surge was coming in may good thing we are opening up, but apparently our state's got 10,000+ ventilators on standby? but then again we got a pop of 30 mil plus?

gently caress my boss is gonna make me come back to the office as soon as possible I don't want to go back

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

boo hoo I have to stay inside surrounded by people and pets who love me and multiple computer devices capable of infinite entertainment and virtual social contact with others. let me step outside and go into a crowd and extend this pandemic by another 24 hours

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

COVID-420 posted:

word in the international public health community is that CDC was absolutely gutted and trashed by the trump admin, more grifters and fools than real docs left over there

gently caress donald trump, gently caress fauci, gently caress birx, gently caress all of them

my gf agrees with this 100%

the NIH is where you should be getting your information from since trump can only fire it's head and it's board of directors would then pick the replacement

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i go for long walks these days, beaches, trails, festivals, whatever. all thanks to VR!!! ty VR!!

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mons Hubris posted:

the US invented freedom

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I broke down another huge load of dry goods pallets at my grocery store yesterday.
I'd say mask usage of customers is roughly 50%. Not nearly high enough.
We're still seeing regular $150+ orders and periodically getting $300+ orders. Sundays have been especially difficult because we run on a skeleton crew after 7PM and so the hour after that has been frantic with people rushing in to get their groceries before we close at 8PM.

As of tonight, we're going back to almost our regular hours, closing at 10PM. I think this is an abysmal idea. We need time to properly disinfect after the work day and we need time to properly restock the shelves after they're daily ransacked, especially the soup aisle. I can't find any information online or on the company website confirming or denying, but I think our hazard pay is being removed too.

I'm depressed and exhausted. This is too much to delve through.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

gently caress my boss is gonna make me come back to the office as soon as possible I don't want to go back

gently caress you binch, but thankfully we are just gonna go to "phase 2" on monday which precludes offices (if wfh possible)

now phase 3, that's when you're hosed

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

fits my needs posted:

wtf

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

facetoucher cat posted:

I want to go camping so badly. I'm so sad and despondent about everything because I really just want to sit in the wilderness for a few days a week and ignore "reality" but I can't bring myself to leave my apartment because I'm afraid of others no matter how far away I go backcountry

I just want to hike until my legs give out then set up camp and drink coffee and make some mac n cheese and listen to the whip-poor-wills away from humans

You should probably just go do that then as long as you aren't crowding in to a busy campground.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
IHME moves prediction to 135,000 dead which means half a mil is definitely happening

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

My assumption too (I'm sure someone itt has done a deep dive on this that I missed) is that all the homemade masks everyone is using won't actually stop you from getting it, just spreading it around as much and since even at places like grocery stores they're all using homemade masks if at all so it's kind of an inevitable risk unless you have the money to have purchased 6+ months of supplies in February and live completely alone and have a fake computer job or are wealthy enough to not need to work

The impression I was under is that the homemade masks aren't really for you, they're for other people because you can be super contagious but feel fine at the time.

Back when poo poo was just starting to kick off, the estimate was that 40-70% of the US would get it eventually, the only question was when it would happen. I haven't seen any evidence that we're not still on that trajectory.

Under that assumption, everyone should be acting as if they're an asymptomatic spreader at all times. Even if we had rigorous and readily available testing and active contact tracing, it would still be very easy to be infected and not know it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

same. my county has a mandatory mask order though, so if anyone isn't wearing a mask I am outtie sinclair my guy, I can wfh enough and those who want to defy the order in the office can handle the hands on poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my boss and his doctor are 99% sure he had/has it, with the caveat of lmao good luck getting a test, and if so it's astonishing just how horrible an illness this is even if you never reach any of the critical stages

he was a wreck for a solid 2 weeks, and the recovery from it has been insanely slow

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Lpzie posted:

i go for long walks these days, beaches, trails, festivals, whatever. all thanks to VR!!! ty VR!!

My husband did that this weekend with a copilot and played some War Thunder. It makes me horribly sick unfortunately because it's super cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mons Hubris posted:

Hmm the country where people are traveling at or above normal rates vs the countries where travel is reduced by 75-85%