Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wolfsheim posted:

My assumption too (I'm sure someone itt has done a deep dive on this that I missed) is that all the homemade masks everyone is using won't actually stop you from getting it, just spreading it around as much and since even at places like grocery stores they're all using homemade masks if at all so it's kind of an inevitable risk unless you have the money to have purchased 6+ months of supplies in February and live completely alone and have a fake computer job or are wealthy enough to not need to work

But :laffo: at the "you will die if you step outside your home to get the mail" posting

I would love to know more about your huge brain and its simultaneous belief that 1) masks don't help and 2) people saying stay the gently caress indoors are overreacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the #1 reason I'm pretty sure what I had in early March wasn't the roni is because it was only 36 hours of pure hell followed by 5 days of miserable slow recovery, which seems too mild from a lot of what I've seen

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

my boss and his doctor are 99% sure he had/has it, with the caveat of lmao good luck getting a test, and if so it's astonishing just how horrible an illness this is even if you never reach any of the critical stages

he was a wreck for a solid 2 weeks, and the recovery from it has been insanely slow

There are currently 2.2 million active official cases of COVID-19. 49,900 of these are serious/critical.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

this whole experience is miserable and i can't fathom ever recovering from it in a meaningful way

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My favorite thing is that even our lovely measures had flattened the curve and we were on our way to victory but lmao then everywhere reopened and people in lockdown are just ignoring it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wolfsheim posted:

My assumption too (I'm sure someone itt has done a deep dive on this that I missed) is that all the homemade masks everyone is using won't actually stop you from getting it, just spreading it around as much and since even at places like grocery stores they're all using homemade masks if at all so it's kind of an inevitable risk unless you have the money to have purchased 6+ months of supplies in February and live completely alone and have a fake computer job or are wealthy enough to not need to work

But :laffo: at the "you will die if you step outside your home to get the mail" posting

the masks will help a little and if other people wear masks around you it helps a lot and if both you and everyone else wears masks it helps a ton

given that we live ina merica: lol, lmao

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Azathoth posted:

Back when poo poo was just starting to kick off, the estimate was that 40-70% of the US would get it eventually, the only question was when it would happen. I haven't seen any evidence that we're not still on that trajectory.

the upper bound of that would mean the end of the united states as a nation state, so you should hope the media was just covering their bases in case of total failure by priming the pump for "everyone is going to get it" because if that does happen, hoo boy

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

facetoucher cat posted:

I want to go camping so badly. I'm so sad and despondent about everything because I really just want to sit in the wilderness for a few days a week and ignore "reality" but I can't bring myself to leave my apartment because I'm afraid of others no matter how far away I go backcountry

I just want to hike until my legs give out then set up camp and drink coffee and make some mac n cheese and listen to the whip-poor-wills away from humans

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

facetoucher cat posted:

My husband did that this weekend with a copilot and played some War Thunder. It makes me horribly sick unfortunately because it's super cool

plz don't doxx me!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

the upper bound of that would mean the end of the united states as a nation state, so you should hope the media was just covering their bases in case of total failure by priming the pump for "everyone is going to get it" because if that does happen, hoo boy

hospitals were overwhelmed. in march. when we had less than 100k cases.

now imagine 100k cases daily. also hospitals are laying off employees. also rural hospitals are shutting down. hehe.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
You've got to hand it the GOP, they are gonna generate a great data-set on covid-19's R0. Once the real data is FOIA'ed in 10 years.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

This isn't a severe enough disease in working age people that chuds can't just ignore it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

hospitals were overwhelmed. in march. when we had less than 100k cases.

now imagine 100k cases daily. also hospitals are laying off employees. also rural hospitals are shutting down. hehe.

ugh

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

boo hoo I have to stay inside surrounded by people and pets who love me and multiple computer devices capable of infinite entertainment and virtual social contact with others. let me step outside and go into a crowd and extend this pandemic by another 24 hours

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

ansel autisms posted:

this whole experience is miserable and i can't fathom ever recovering from it in a meaningful way

No other country will allow American travelers for at least 2 years

We're stuck here in hell

There's no way out

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
No hospitals to overwhelm means no oversight or reporting, chuds will bury grandma in the ditch by the road and go on as if nothing happened

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

only 662 deaths today. we're past the peak, make sure to celebrate by heading to Outback Steakhouse for a Bloomin' Onion! No rules, just right!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

go play some minecraft or something, get some shaders, it's almost as good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

karoshi posted:

You've got to hand it the GOP, they are gonna generate a great data-set on covid-19's R0. Once the real data is FOIA'ed in 10 years.

r0 of .2 or something, but an unexplained 2 million+ spike in pneumonia deaths more likely lol

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are currently 2.2 million active official cases of COVID-19. 49,900 of these are serious/critical.

I just wish the fact that even in the non-critical cases where it's in its "mild" form that younguns are more likely to get, it's oftentimes like being run over by a killdozer and then having it back up and park on your chest, would get more coverage

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

karoshi posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=21

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

shovelbum posted:

No hospitals to overwhelm means no oversight or reporting, chuds will bury grandma in the ditch by the road and go on as if nothing happened

Who will bury the chuds?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

facetoucher cat posted:

My husband did that this weekend with a copilot and played some War Thunder. It makes me horribly sick unfortunately because it's super cool

nerd alert!!

are you doing better?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shovelbum posted:

This isn't a severe enough disease in working age people that chuds can't just ignore it

Which is part of why we're hosed because for any individual the risk of catching it by going somewhere is low. And the risk of it being bad if you do catch it is also low. So you really only care about it if you are concerned about the whole population, especially vulnerable parts of it which, lol, this is America.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

The scars on the national psyche will be deeper and resonate longer than any traumas since the great depression

I was tempted to say Vietnam but folks could still spin that in a righteous way

This is just something unpleasant being inflicted upon everyone because nature can do that sometimes
and no, being the "best nation on the planet" can't alleviate the suffering
we're just as hosed as everyone, if not more so

it will be even funnier when China develops a vaccine first and millions of US citizens refuse to take it because "the commies" and die when they don't have to

Whole generations reaped by decades of scientific illiteracy and anti-intellectualism

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Americans getting shot trying to sneak across the Mexican border to go drinking is going to be funny

When we start getting shot trying to flee for our lives...not so much

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Who will bury the chuds?

The 249/500 chuds who recover or the 250/500 who never have symptoms

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

You should probably just go do that then as long as you aren't crowding in to a busy campground.

It would be a literal wilderness area in the middle of nowhere but I don't know if anyone else has the same idea. I need exercise and around my complex no one wears masks so I am going to try this Thursday maybe

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Nothus posted:

I had to buy a webcam for zoom poo poo and it was stupidly expensive

A bunch of pages back but I gotta ask how you have a computer in 2020 that doesn't have a built in webcam? I have an old iMac and an old Thinkpad I bought for $20 each and they have webcams.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

shovelbum posted:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

You've convinced me to eat some shrooms. I love you

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Which is part of why we're hosed because for any individual the risk of catching it by going somewhere is low. And the risk of it being bad if you do catch it is also low. So you really only care about it if you are concerned about the whole population, especially vulnerable parts of it which, lol, this is America.

Yeah exactly there's no new normal or deep national scars, we're just going to revert to the 19th century in terms of healthcare which is fine bc most people didn't have any healthcare meaningfully

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the Kevin Bacon number for covid19? How many deaths do you need for someone to have at least a 99% chance of having at least one first or second degree of separation from a covid19 death? Right now I'm at 2 (that I know of!) so I would imagine we're gonna hit that KB number soon.

etalian posted:

1000 deaths a day is only 360k dead per year, great accomplishment!

At that rate, how much is the birth rate gonna have to go up to stabilize population growth. Replacement rate pre-covid was 1.05 children per person (2.10 per woman is the official number).

Looks like 360k dead each year is pretty close to 1/8 of the total deaths per year @ 2.8 million* so that's a 12.5% increase in rate of deaths per year. Although after 2-3 years of covid19 we might see a drop off in elderly deaths as it systematically burns out the nursing homes and prisons.

* https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db355.htm

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

A bunch of pages back but I gotta ask how you have a computer in 2020 that doesn't have a built in webcam? I have an old iMac and an old Thinkpad I bought for $20 each and they have webcams.

I just bought a new laptop and noticed that the closer to nice/gaming they get the less likely they have a built in camera. This is pc obviously mac always has one.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

MorrisBae posted:

No other country will allow American travelers for at least 2 years

We're stuck here in hell

There's no way out

well the president did promise that mexico would pay for a border wall

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MorrisBae posted:

Americans getting shot trying to sneak across the Mexican border to go drinking is going to be funny

When we start getting shot trying to flee for our lives...not so much

Mexico already had to ban OTC sales of Plaquenil because Americans were crossing en masse to snap it up after daddy told them it was a miracle cure lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i'm on the crystal stage but it snapped in half. dunno if that counts as 1 now or it i gotta shove the rest in there.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

omg that’s log

holy poo poo lmao

how do they expect to test enough to get that high # of cases per day

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

facetoucher cat posted:

It would be a literal wilderness area in the middle of nowhere but I don't know if anyone else has the same idea. I need exercise and around my complex no one wears masks so I am going to try this Thursday maybe

You won't get it by seeing someone a hundred yards away in the woods. This thread is full of bitch rear end doomsayers acting like they're virtuous because they're terrified to go outside and reading it too much is bad for the brain. Normal people don't think like that.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Der Meister posted:

how do they expect to test enough to get that high # of cases per day

they don’t. testing is going to get capped (I think it already is) and then eventually reduced and then official cases will go down and bing bong so simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

You won't get it by seeing someone a hundred yards away in the woods. This thread is full of bitch rear end doomsayers acting like they're virtuous because they're terrified to go outside and reading it too much is bad for the brain. Normal people don't think like that.

don't listen to this person, facetoucher

they're gonna come up to your tent in the middle of the night and cough in it