Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yeah she wasn't very well known as an actress, she's a youtube game streamer who only had like 100k followers before this game, which is really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

The reasoning for most people who are upset over the ending pretty much boils down to "Square lied and I want my money back", which is dumb as gently caress

Eh as someone who loved it and is excited to see more I don't think it's an invalid point. People had certain expectations and Square didn't do anything to temper them (since they wanted to avoid spoilers).

Some people will have spent money on the game having no interest in anything other than a straight retelling of the story. If I were them I'd probably be upset too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sucks to be them, I guess.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah they should try not being tedious assholes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The other ones I see a lot are:

• I don't like time travel
  • I don't like alternate universes
  • I don't like Advent Children
  • I don't like Kingdom Hearts

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I kinda hate kingdom Hearts because it's literally as complex as something like gravity's rainbow but all the complexity is in service of a story that's boring and bad, which is even more annoying because the gameplay is pretty good

In this game, all the bullshit is propped up by awesome characters and an actual interesting story and world so it's great

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
kingdom hearts is pretty simple if you know how to read

people keep saying "you have to play all the sidequels" or whatever even though you just... don't

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bleck posted:

people keep saying "you have to play all the sidequels" or whatever even though you just... don't

i love the idea that you can just load up kingdom hearts 3 without any exposure to re-coded or dream drop distance and it just makes sense

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Simple and clean is the way KH3 makes me feel

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bleck posted:

This is a lie.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KH is a trainwreck and it's not because they fly or slash any buildings in half. Flight, DBZ-esque scenery destruction, and pocket dimensions do not make something Kingdom Hearts. Okay enough KH talk.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

Eh as someone who loved it and is excited to see more I don't think it's an invalid point. People had certain expectations and Square didn't do anything to temper them (since they wanted to avoid spoilers).

Some people will have spent money on the game having no interest in anything other than a straight retelling of the story. If I were them I'd probably be upset too.

On one hand, I get your point, but on the other, people who have played FFVII OG and are aware of the EU stuff to any extent shouldn't have been surprised by some of that stuff making it into the remake. I only read The Kids Are Alright last year when it was finally translated into English and absolutely loved it that Kyrie and Leslie made it into the remake.

I might be in the minority but I really want to see a lot of the EU stuff shown in future installments of the remake. As long as the main story stays the same (and why wouldn't it?) then Square Enix can give me as much extra poo poo as they want.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pollyanna posted:

Okay enough KH talk.

ok but what if when Zack was being trained as a SOLDIER Sephiroth created a dark Zack clone named Jack and when they fought each other Zack's heart traveled forward in time into Cloud and it turns out that's the actual reason Cloud thinks he's Zack, and the Zack we see in the endgame flashback is actually Jack

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

ok but what if when Zack was being trained as a SOLDIER Sephiroth created a dark Zack clone

I mean this is more or less the plot of final fantasy 7

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dell_Zincht posted:

On one hand, I get your point, but on the other, people who have played FFVII OG and are aware of the EU stuff to any extent shouldn't have been surprised by some of that stuff making it into the remake. I only read The Kids Are Alright last year when it was finally translated into English and absolutely loved it that Kyrie and Leslie made it into the remake.

I might be in the minority but I really want to see a lot of the EU stuff shown in future installments of the remake. As long as the main story stays the same (and why wouldn't it?) then Square Enix can give me as much extra poo poo as they want.

In a cutscene during my playthrough, Cloud knew Kyrie by name before I had ever interacted with her or anyone else who knew her, which led me to believe I'd missed something. Also, seeing Leslie by name while having no real introduction to him had me wondering that was about. I didn't even know The Kids Are Alright was a thing or that it's available in stores as we speak, so I do wish they'd given us just a little bit of an intro for them instead of just kinda showing up and being fanservice for people who are heavy into the EU. It's by no means a deal-breaker for me, though; heck, now I've got some more reading material for my favorite game in the franchise!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If they find a way to add in Dirge of Cerberus material and make it actually good, then that would be an award worthy achievement.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I mean, Vincent will probably be in the next game, what else do you want?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I don't mind EU stuff as long as the characterization shown in the remake stays.

I think the Flanderization of the key characters exhibited in EU stuff was fueling some of the mistrust leading up to release.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The problem with the EU was the characterization and they nailed it here, so I'm not worried. Unless we never get more games.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rhonne posted:

If they find a way to add in Dirge of Cerberus material and make it actually good, then that would be an award worthy achievement.

I thought they were doing that when you go into the underground research lab underneath Sector 7 but instead of calling it Deepground they were just like "oh it's a secret Shinra testing place"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh was Kyrie a pre-existing character from EU stuff? I assumed she was yuffie in disguise

Either way it didn't really stand out to me as too jarring to have her there even though I had no idea who she was. I feel like she had enough in-game characterization to stand alone as a minor side character, same for Leslie, more or less (although the game asked me to care about him slightly more than I could find the motivation to do so)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh was Kyrie a pre-existing character from EU stuff? I assumed she was yuffie in disguise

Either way it didn't really stand out to me as too jarring to have her there even though I had no idea who she was. I feel like she had enough in-game characterization to stand alone as a minor side character, same for Leslie, more or less (although the game asked me to care about him slightly more than I could find the motivation to do so)

Her and Leslie are characters in one novel that a lot of people don't know about which was released a few years back but only translated to English and released officially in 2019. It's set after the events of FFVII but before Advent Children and it's pretty good.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I didn't know either were from the EU until this thread and thought they were fine. They're not really and different than the other added characters like Johnny.

Leslie's reaction is still one of the best moments for when Cloud shows up in drag.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

itskage posted:

I didn't know either were from the EU until this thread and thought they were fine. They're not really and different than the other added characters like Johnny.

Leslie's reaction is still one of the best moments for when Cloud shows up in drag.

Johnny was very much in the original game, though he had very little impact on the story.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Takoluka posted:

In a cutscene during my playthrough, Cloud knew Kyrie by name before I had ever interacted with her or anyone else who knew her, which led me to believe I'd missed something. Also, seeing Leslie by name while having no real introduction to him had me wondering that was about. I didn't even know The Kids Are Alright was a thing or that it's available in stores as we speak, so I do wish they'd given us just a little bit of an intro for them instead of just kinda showing up and being fanservice for people who are heavy into the EU. It's by no means a deal-breaker for me, though; heck, now I've got some more reading material for my favorite game in the franchise!

I think you learn her name if you go the Angel’s hideout first instead of the Church.

Speaking of Kyrie she’s on the train at the end of Chapter 2 and you see her get off at the start of 3. If she’s in the Sector 7 slums somewhere I couldn’t find it though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am surprised they pronounced Kyrie with the authentic Greek pronunciation

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

RatHat posted:

I think you learn her name if you go the Angel’s hideout first instead of the Church.

Speaking of Kyrie she’s on the train at the end of Chapter 2 and you see her get off at the start of 3. If she’s in the Sector 7 slums somewhere I couldn’t find it though.

She is in Sector 7 the first night you arrive. You pass by her trying to "sell" news to people (like she does later in Sector 5) while Tifa takes Cloud to show him his new apartment.

I don't think Cloud officially "notices" her until she's spouting BS news about Avalanche and Wutai in Chapter 14, but I don't recall if she ever says her name during that, for how Cloud would know her name without the benefit of subtitles.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

I know its a mistake to read youtube comments, but LOL at the angry nerd in there who is pissed he cant afford the highest tier on her patreon.

She's adorable though, and so excited to hear herself every time. I think its cute how she assumes they did something to her voice to make it sound good, rather than her just having been a good actress.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am surprised they pronounced Kyrie with the authentic Greek pronunciation

Devil May Cry 5 has a character named Kyrie too, and while I don't think I'd ever heard this name before playing these two games, I am now reasonably confident I could pronounce it flawlessly

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nuggan posted:

I know its a mistake to read youtube comments, but LOL at the angry nerd in there who is pissed he cant afford the highest tier on her patreon.

She's adorable though, and so excited to hear herself every time. I think its cute how she assumes they did something to her voice to make it sound good, rather than her just having been a good actress.

Though tbf a lot of mixing work goes into VA stuff so if you're only really used to hearing your voice recorded on a cheap streaming mic then having a multi-billion dollar company's audio team working their magic probably is a pretty wild difference.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I've been playing through on hard mode and one thing I noticed is another hint that Wutai are not the threat they're being presented as. Just before the Avalanche cells funded by "Wutai" go on an all out assault on the Shin-Ra building, Tseng gets a call from Rufus, who we know is actually funding them.

I think that he was going to make his move that night anyway, which worked out for our heroes and will be revealed next game is my guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So someone did a massive effort post for a strategy for the VR summon gauntlet to get the cool accessory but I can't find it, would anyone mind reposting that or giving a rundown of advice? Been reading some of the strats but I trust random goons more than some of the guide writers who have really steered me wrong on this hard playthrough trying to get all the trophies.

Also related, some of the guides are saying to have like 6 HP/MP Ups equipped, 2 of each on each character, I think I only have like 3 or 4 so is that from doing the same chapters where they are treasure a couple times and buying them wherever they are available? I didn't check the materia shops in my repeat hard playthrough of those chapters so I don't know if they're there again or not, if they are, can I just go into those chapters again, play up to the part where you can buy them and then dip out again back to the chapters I still need to beat?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 4, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
:yooge: kingdom hearts

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

I've been playing through on hard mode and one thing I noticed is another hint that Wutai are not the threat they're being presented as. Just before the Avalanche cells funded by "Wutai" go on an all out assault on the Shin-Ra building, Tseng gets a call from Rufus, who we know is actually funding them.

I think that he was going to make his move that night anyway, which worked out for our heroes and will be revealed next game is my guess.

I wonder if in the next game Rufus is going to go on air and reveal that his father was responsible for the sector 7 collapse and the mako reactor explosions?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder if in the next game Rufus is going to go on air and reveal that his father was responsible for the sector 7 collapse and the mako reactor explosions?

I want to see a version of Succession about the hosed up Shinra family.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

thebardyspoon posted:

So someone did a massive effort post for a strategy for the VR summon gauntlet to get the cool accessory but I can't find it, would anyone mind reposting that or giving a rundown of advice? Been reading some of the strats but I trust random goons more than some of the guide writers who have really steered me wrong on this hard playthrough trying to get all the trophies.

Also related, some of the guides are saying to have like 6 HP/MP Ups equipped, 2 of each on each character, I think I only have like 3 or 4 so is that from doing the same chapters where they are treasure a couple times and buying them wherever they are available? I didn't check the materia shops in my repeat hard playthrough of those chapters so I don't know if they're there again or not, if they are, can I just go into those chapters again, play up to the part where you can buy them and then dip out again back to the chapters I still need to beat?

You can buy infinite of them in later chapters. I think 2 of each on each character is overkill in most places but if you don’t need any other materia for that chapter/encounter then you might as well.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:yooge: kingdom hearts

gently caress!

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

thebardyspoon posted:

Make sure you max out elemental materia. Get two of them. Use Aerith and Barret and Cloud. If you chain elemental and fire, the bahamut fight you will have free heals in the second phase. Get Steadfast Block, Revive, Healing, ATB Stagger, ATB assist, ATB boost.

I finished it on the first try. The elemental + fire is what saved my life.

EDIT:
Make sure you have HP up as well. All three of my characters have over 9000 hp. You can buy them in the coliseum vending machines in Chapter 9, which is the best place to level materia up.

Werewolf of London fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Werewolf of London posted:

Make sure you max out elemental materia. Get two of them. Use Aerith and Barret and Cloud. If you chain elemental and fire, the bahamut fight you will have free heals in the second phase. Get Steadfast Block, Revive, Healing, ATB Stagger, ATB assist, ATB boost.

I finished it on the first try. The elemental + fire is what saved my life.

EDIT:
Make sure you have HP up as well. All three of my characters have over 9000 hp. You can buy them in the coliseum vending machines in Chapter 9, which is the best place to level materia up.

Cool, cheers. I have all of those latter ones maxed out and the rest I have in some capacity and can buy the rest. Will just have to do some levelling of my HP Ups and the elemental materias then, I think both my elemental ones are at level 2 right now but pretty far from 3.