Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Thanos's wish was kind of dumb really.

If you thought the universe was overpopulated and wanted to kill 50% of all life, which one would you choose?

A)A coin flip for every individual life.

B)Randomly from the total life.

Because he chose A, and all it did was punish low pop civilisations and barely dent high pop ones, the imbalance remains.

Thanos was almost right.

This post doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Munin posted:

^^ Poifect

I do wonder how the playground games will mutate after all this. Because the kids experience of all this will be incorporated into them. This being just one example.

Ring-around-the-rosy's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I'm interested to see how they are going to go through the extra 6 million unemployment claims per state to find out who is legitimately qualified. Im honestly shocked the unemployment system didn't instantly vaporize from the rush that started a few weeks ago. How is any system prepared for that?

My claim was approved but uh my situation is unique. I look forward to the grand reopening of the debtors prisons this summer and look forward to seeing some of you there!

Depends on the state, but for the most part unemployment claims seem to be getting much less scrutiny than a typical scenario. But that's on a case-by-case basis, since I'm sure plenty of struggling people have been denied their benefits per usual. It's a really dumb system that shouldn't exist at all because we look down upon and penalize people for the audacity to be unemployed in America as opposed to making sure they don't die homeless on the street without food or water because they're human beings who exist, which is absolutely not the case in much of Europe and the rest of the world.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Depends on the state, but for the most part unemployment claims seem to be getting much less scrutiny than a typical scenario. But that's on a case-by-case basis, since I'm sure plenty of struggling people have been denied their benefits per usual. It's a really dumb system that shouldn't exist at all because we look down upon and penalize people for the audacity to be unemployed in America as opposed to making sure they don't die homeless on the street without food or water because they're human beings who exist, which is absolutely not the case in much of Europe and the rest of the world.

Yes but have you considered they might buy the wrong things at the grocery store if we give them money???

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chomp8645 posted:

This thread makes me realize how few people make an effort to understand basic math

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This thread makes me realize how few people make an effort to understand basic math

I'd say a good majority, nearly 50%, don't get it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

This is biased against low pop civilizations. Very problematic...

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Wouldn't that be half of everything

And a fraction of infinity is still infinity. What a dumb movie.

Was it ever explained if the Snap took out just humans or sentient beings or what? They talked about whales coming back so did Thanos have a cutoff for sapience?

The Marvel movies are dumb as hell and super gross wrt to women but they're pretty and the music is good

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think in the comic he was talking about specifically about civilization, and he did it also to get on with lady death.

edit: Nope, just half of the living things nothing about civilizations.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 4, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Big Beef City posted:

A cloth mask reduces your chances of getting Coronavirus by 50% which is basically zero so you shouldn’t wear them. I’m very good at thinking

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have seen exactly two movies in the Marvel cinematic universe: Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War. So obviously many of the events in the latter lacked context when I watched it.

From that perspective though it was a great movie and as far as my head canon is concerned was the finale of the franchise.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chomp8645 posted:

I have seen exactly two movies in the Marvel cinematic universe: Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War. So obviously many of the events in the latter lacked context when I watched it.

From that perspective though it was a great movie and as far as my head canon is concerned was the finale of the franchise.

Ragnarok is undoubtedly the pinnacle of Marvel films and you should watch it at your earliest opportunity my friend.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

Both Thor Ragnarok and Captain America Winter Soldier are absolutely worth your time and are mostly disconnected from other Marvel movies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

The Marvel movies are dumb as hell and super gross wrt to women but they're pretty and the music is good

Whoa now the music is trash. Except Ragnarok because they got the guy from Devo to do it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like it when the Hulk smashes things

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Thanos's wish was kind of dumb really.

If you thought the universe was overpopulated and wanted to kill 50% of all life, which one would you choose?

A)A coin flip for every individual life.

B)Randomly from the total life.

Because he chose A, and all it did was punish low pop civilisations and barely dent high pop ones, the imbalance remains.

Thanos was almost right.

Or the C) option, because the gauntlet made him a literal god of the universe.

He could have just made more resources so everyone would be fine. Or a bunch of empty, but habitable planets, or turned all deserts into paradise, or whatever.

"Nah, I gotta kill half of all life."

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Marvel movies are basically just CGI bukkake I don't understand how anyone likes them

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zero VGS posted:

Whoa now the music is trash. Except Ragnarok because they got the guy from Devo to do it.

Black Panther has a pretty solid cinematic soundtrack too. Both Guardians of the Galaxy movies have a really great soundtrack, both the soundtrack and the classic pop/rock. Otherwise I agree and they're all forgettable and dull.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Charliegrs posted:

Marvel movies are basically just CGI bukkake I don't understand how anyone likes them

people are tired and don't care

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Black Panther has a pretty solid cinematic soundtrack too. Both Guardians of the Galaxy movies have a really great soundtrack, both the soundtrack and the classic pop/rock. Otherwise I agree and they're all forgettable and dull.

The dude who did the orchestral work for Black Panther did The Mandalorian too and it's sick as gently caress.
edit: and yeah Guardians is fun but Guardians 2 is unwatchable

Charliegrs posted:

Stealing this.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I just being hella dumb? Isn't there a difference between the two?

If one planet has a population of 9 billion, and a second planet with 1 billion, with a wish of "kill half the total population of the two planets"? Isn't the likelihood of someone from the second planet dying much lower?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Charliegrs posted:

For the same reason people like regular bukkake

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

If one planet has a population of 9 billion, and a second planet with 1 billion, with a wish of "kill half the total population of the two planets"? Isn't the likelihood of someone from the second planet dying much lower?

It's 50 percent, which is barely two quarters so obviously you're right

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

There is no difference between your two scenarios, and both of those civilizations would be equally likely to lose half of their populations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
central limit theorem to the rescue

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

You should play frog fractions, it'll teach you how to do fractions and also other good life skills.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

If you have to ask if you are dumb and you use the word hella to do so the answer is yes

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like this is ordinary behavior outside of a public health crisis by white people in Flint though.

responding to minor requests with violence is something americans of all races can agree

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/3-charged-with-murder-of-Family-Dollar-security-guard-over-face-mask-dispute-570178991.html

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

No man, it's not. Either way you should end up with one planet at 4.5 billion remaining, and the other at 0.5 billion remaining. An individual on either planet would have a 50% chance of dying, there is a net loss of 50%, and the first planet is still exactly 9x the population of the second planet.

So unless Thanos is like "you know what, that second planet loving sucks, kill em all and let planet A keep the difference" or something, that's what gonna happen. In that case then you'd have 5 billion on one planet and the second planet empty, still a net 50% loss, but with 44% chance of death on the first planet and 100% on the second planet. But he wasn't doing conditionals.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 4, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Fair enough. I should have assumed Americans of all races are loving stupid violent morons. :pwn:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

me liek bukkake

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

You should play frog fractions, it'll teach you how to do fractions and also other good life skills.

nah they need to look at a galton bean machine, or quincunx. its the thingy plinko was invented for. as the number gets bigger and std dev gets smaller distribution degenerates into a dirac spike

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it was just a coin flip of any random cell most all complex life would end.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Corona still good to go though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Figuring out the perfect balance and solution to all things would have been a hassle so Thanos basically went with his tried and true "killing stuff solves it, probably" like he had been doing manually with his army for a while before he got his gauntlet

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If it was just a coin flip of any random cell most all complex life would end.

Where's the cutoff

Will protists live on

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Goddamn that's a sad story

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Also just want to note that the Klansman wasn't even proudly demonstrating his poo poo belief but going about it in the most beta, cowardly, failson fashion possible. I want to give him a loving wedgie

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this guys...

I think... maybe WE are the real virus :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

No, they travel back in time 40 years

The virus is a trillion DeLoreans