Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Alternatively, make the iron into steel and then you could use it in place of iron ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just getting into this game. It seems like there are a lot of quality of life mods that would be fine to use first go as they don't affect the actual game design at all. This article https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/16/oxygen-not-included-mods-the-12-best-oni-mods-in-the-steam-workshop/ recommended a bunch.

Can these like these be added first go around? Or is it better to just play the base game.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Opinions are like assholes, but of that list I would recommend for a new player:

Blueprints
Plan without materials (this is important)
Bigger Camera Zoom Out

Also, find the Pliers mod.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You don't know what you will hate until you run into it.

But I disagree about blueprints, because when you start out, it's much better to figure it out then just build whatever you found on YouTube over and over. Someone here said learning the mechanist behind it and making it for you vs your base fitting a design is so rewarding.

Pliers yes

Plans without materials I had but removed, because I was building stuff using crappy material vs something I had on had / a lot of when the specific material didn't matter. I'm happy for it to switch to iron vs copper vs having a building wait for copper to be made.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Roundboy posted:

You don't know what you will hate until you run into it.

But I disagree about blueprints, because when you start out, it's much better to figure it out then just build whatever you found on YouTube over and over. Someone here said learning the mechanist behind it and making it for you vs your base fitting a design is so rewarding.

Pliers yes

Plans without materials I had but removed, because I was building stuff using crappy material vs something I had on had / a lot of when the specific material didn't matter. I'm happy for it to switch to iron vs copper vs having a building wait for copper to be made.

Blueprints for me is just a QoL thing. I don't pull blueprints from the internets (although sometimes I want to, because I like the FJ petroleum boiler and I always get the magma blade off-by-one or whatever)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Pliers should be part of the base game. It makes sense, mechanically and thematically.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I can see that fear about blueprints, but in Factorio I would only ever blueprint my own designs. I feel like taking things off the internet would dampen the fun for me, however if I have to repeatedly build my own designs by hand in a tedious way, I would prefer to be able to blueprint them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I shill for two mods in particular that most consider cheats but really they just save you time and space (and in some cases a lot of power, but maybe don't increase entropy so much by having your machines spit fluids everywhere!!). One of them does eliminate a lot of design patterns like the powerplant / polymer steam room.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Megasabin posted:

Just getting into this game. It seems like there are a lot of quality of life mods that would be fine to use first go as they don't affect the actual game design at all. This article https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/16/oxygen-not-included-mods-the-12-best-oni-mods-in-the-steam-workshop/ recommended a bunch.

Can these like these be added first go around? Or is it better to just play the base game.

They can definitely be added first go around. They only improve the game, and do not alter the substance of the game.

I added them all before starting, and do not regret it at all. Hotkeys for ladders and other common things, for example, are just a no-brainer for me.

Only ones I think I didn't do are the ones that snip entire ladder chains and the ones that snip electrical chains (pliers or something), because they seem to alter the mechanics of the game (even if those mechanics aren't the best thought out).

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Pliers can be a tiny bit cheaty, in that it lets you modify pipes and wires in an area with no dupe access, which would require reworking your layout if you didn't have the mod. But I've been using it anyway because it's too dang convenient.

Some more recommendations:
Falling Sand, makes dupes automatically dig out sand-type blocks when they fall.
Build Over Plants, lets you place ladders and whatnot on top of plants without needing to issue a separate uproot command first.
Sweep By Type, lets you filter your sweep commands so you can sweep up only one item in an area, or everything but one item.
Suppress Notifications, lets you tell a building to stop giving you error notifications when you don't care about them.
Deconstructable POI Props, lets you deconstruct the office furniture and whatnot you'll find around the map. Maybe those were intended to be indestructible but they sure get in the way of clean base layouts.
And a couple of UI tweaks that I like: Better Deselect, Compact Info Cards

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Triarii posted:

Sweep By Type, lets you filter your sweep commands so you can sweep up only one item in an area, or everything but one item.

I got weird input lag when I activated this mod and ended up getting rid of it. It does seem super useful, though. YMMV.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Triarii posted:

Suppress Notifications, lets you tell a building to stop giving you error notifications when you don't care about them.
Oh, thank heavens. Every so often I get a seed that has a brainifier or something pre-seeded in a lava pit, and I have to endure hours of "blah is being damaged by heat" and yelling "That was YOUR doing, not mine!"

e: Would anybody care to post a screenshot of one of their oxyfern sumps in a Verdante seed? If I stack tiers of plants, the upper ones stop working because of the oxygen for the lower ones. However, a single tier of oxyfern has to be really wide to have any effect.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 4, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a mod that somehow clarifies whether a dupe is Idle because she doesn't have anything to do vs. because she got stuck somewhere? I hate having to check all the time.

e: Also, how should I set up my automation logic for a pacu breeding tank that feeds excess eggs into a mass starvation tank? I want to set it up so that I have one pacu that gets fed and replaces itself with one egg, but all of the other eggs it lays get shipped off to the starvation tank. I have automation set up that's working okay but over time I keep ending up with like 3 pacu in the breeding tank somehow.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Why not make a few carbon dioxide sumps scattered across where you've built and layer the bottom of each with the oxyferns? That will decentralize your O2 production/CO2 removal while not having to worry about having every single oxyfern on the same height.

EDIT: Set your breeding pool limit to X and have it be a higher priority than your starvation pool. Then when Pacu hatch from your machinery (you are using an incubator that is on until it gets hugged for the cycle, right?) the former gets replenished before the latter does.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 4, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If the sumps are 4-high, they waste a lot of space, and if they're 2-high they break up the tidy tiling of my rooms.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a mod that somehow clarifies whether a dupe is Idle because she doesn't have anything to do vs. because she got stuck somewhere? I hate having to check all the time.

I'm not aware of any such mod, but you could create "busy work" rooms to prevent routine idling. Set a door to keep out the dupes who normally do storage tasks and put a few priority 1 automatic dispensers in a room with a token amount of some material you don't use elsewhere. Set your non-storage dupes to the lowest priority for storage, so they'll do literally any other job before heading to the room.

For your storage task dupes, you'll need a different ultra-low priority task room that only they can access. Maybe put them all on lowest priority operate and set up a few priority 1 rock crushers with a mineral you have way too much of. Or if your kitchen is fully-automated so you can lock the haulers out of it, make your haulers also lowest priority cooks and set up an egg-cracking room.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If the sumps are 4-high, they waste a lot of space, and if they're 2-high they break up the tidy tiling of my rooms.

Skip 4 floors, and put your oxyfern sump at the very, very bottom of your base. Lower than that. Still, lower.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In the late game is it worth setting up some living quarters and bathrooms near space and shipping up some omelettes on rails? I have tubes going up there but I figure space build-out will be extra annoying. I've even got a water geyser I can split into oxygen for a second exosuit dock.

The base should be obvious in this image, and my space staging is the top of the lines at the top right. Tube system entrance is near the great monument.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 5, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bold Robot posted:

Claustrophobia - it gives you an alert when a dupe is stuck.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Claustrophobia pops up some useful alerts when dupes can't find food, their bed, or a path to anything but a tiny area. It's a little prone to false alarms but it's more useful than the vanilla idle alert.

Shumagorath posted:

In the late game is it worth setting up some living quarters and bathrooms near space and shipping up some omelettes on rails? I have tubes going up there but I figure space build-out will be extra annoying. I've even got a water geyser I can split into oxygen for a second exosuit dock.

The base should be obvious in this image, and my space staging is the top of the lines at the top right. Tube system entrance is near the great monument.

It's going to involve a lot of fiddling with job assignments and door permissions to keep dupes from shlepping from top to bottom anyway.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Nails in the coffin

How casual he looks walking away after attempting to murder his friend of 6,000 cycles (Gossman) is hilarious to me.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Would anybody care to post a screenshot of one of their oxyfern sumps in a Verdante seed? If I stack tiers of plants, the upper ones stop working because of the oxygen for the lower ones. However, a single tier of oxyfern has to be really wide to have any effect.
Here's mine:

I have 4 other oxyferns in another small sump on the other side of the map.
The main thing to consider is this isn't pumped oxygen, so consider how the oxygen will float up into the base. I try to keep 5-wide airflow routes it can go up (air tiles), otherwise you find it collecting up and pressurising a small area at the bottom.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

CHOO CHOO STEAM TRAIN COMING THROUGH

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Power chimney?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Restarted on default biome and this time I've sworn to myself I'll reach end-game and go to space before trying to jump into another asteroid. I keep hitting roadblocks on other asteroids and then burning out, so now I'll nail the early to mid-game stuff so I can enjoy the late-game stuff. Then I'll be better prepared for the weirder asteroids.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

e: Also, how should I set up my automation logic for a pacu breeding tank that feeds excess eggs into a mass starvation tank? I want to set it up so that I have one pacu that gets fed and replaces itself with one egg, but all of the other eggs it lays get shipped off to the starvation tank. I have automation set up that's working okay but over time I keep ending up with like 3 pacu in the breeding tank somehow.

Second call on this - I keep banging my head against the wall on this one but I feel like I am missing something.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Second call on this - I keep banging my head against the wall on this one but I feel like I am missing something.

I wasnt able to find a good way to keep just 1 in the breeding tank. I ended up doing 2. Here is my layout:

Top left is the breeding tank. The critter sensor is set at below 2 (or however many breeders you want) of both eggs and critters, and controls the convener filter. So when one of the breeders dies of age, the next egg will get put back into its tank, otherwise the goto the bulk tank in the bottom right.

Top right is an unrelated drowning tank. Its not set up yet since Im still growing herd. Bottom left is a steam geyser tank. Surfboards are unrelated, just using the water tank as double duty.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 6, 2020

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Qubee posted:

Restarted on default biome and this time I've sworn to myself I'll reach end-game and go to space before trying to jump into another asteroid. I keep hitting roadblocks on other asteroids and then burning out, so now I'll nail the early to mid-game stuff so I can enjoy the late-game stuff. Then I'll be better prepared for the weirder asteroids.

The one thing that always gets me (a result of laziness) is letting water creep into my oil biome which turns to steam and makes my map a giant fps eating sauna, 1 tile of water is a LOT of tiles of steam.

Usually it happens when I start stripping the map or digging less carefully and an ice biome starts to melt.

It's the cause of more resets for me than anything else.

Protect your oil biome, don't be me!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Also, thanks to whoever suggested to combine stables and water tanks. Here is my pip an hatch ranch with 5x96 stables and 3 bulk hatch tanks. The leftmost will eventually be a pip stable, but I didn't get any for a while and have hatches there in the meantime.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

At the bottom left of my map (https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser/map/243690) the oil and forest biome boundaries were broken by a giant glacier and I think there was also significant heat conduction down into the magma, because when I got there:

-Much of the space left of the water geyser was 800kg/tile 130ºC steam
-There's no CO2 to be found
-There are little chunks of wolframite still floating in the area (and a sporechid)
-A significant chunk of the magma underneath that oil well had solidified into rock

I've been pumping the steam all the way over into the bottom-right sandstone biome (RIP last wild hatch eggs I couldn't stop my dupes from eating) to condense and heat my oil biome up using copper tiles because I accidentally had my aquatuner cooling the entire biome instead of just the powerplants.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

This would never have occurred to me and I'd have ragequit when it inevitably happened, thank you for the heads up! Can someone give me a brief breakdown of how to use the automated grabbers / receptacles / etc?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Sweepers pick things up in the area it shows you when you try to place them, exactly like a dupe does.

Unlike a dupe they can't move or do anything but pick up and put down.

You then use conveyer recpticals (the square ones) they will take items from your sweeper and put it on the conveyer rails.

Then you build out your rails and let stuff convoy around.

At the end you can either use the conveyer accepted thing, looks like an electric toothbrush, fat bottom skinny top. Which acts like a very small storage or use a shoot and dump it on the floor like an animal.

That's about it.

You can also just use the sweeper to move between two things close by for example storage and coal generators. Dupes bulk fill the storage, sweeper fills the coal generators up over time as they need it.

They are super good at freeing up dupe time from annoying tasks.

The first thing I set up is a complexish system that takes hatch eggs to a drowning room, meat from that to the grill and bbq to storage. A second system takes the coal to the power plant and a third brings sedimentary rock from a big storage near my exosuit exit and distributes it to all the feeders. My dupes just have to groom the hatches and eat the bbq!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are the conveyor rails smart in the sense that whatever cargo is being sent will know which path to take to arrive at it's destination? Are conveyor rails at risk of becoming backed up / clogged with items? And with your BBQ idea, does the sweeper make it so the electric grill automatically churns out cooked food or does a dupe still need to stand at the grill? Cheers for that, it really helped. I definitely need to start using it more, I've always been put off cause I could never be bothered to wrap my head around it and opening a new creative game to gently caress around with it was too much effort for me.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Qubee posted:

Are the conveyor rails smart in the sense that whatever cargo is being sent will know which path to take to arrive at it's destination? Are conveyor rails at risk of becoming backed up / clogged with items? And with your BBQ idea, does the sweeper make it so the electric grill automatically churns out cooked food or does a dupe still need to stand at the grill? Cheers for that, it really helped. I definitely need to start using it more, I've always been put off cause I could never be bothered to wrap my head around it and opening a new creative game to gently caress around with it was too much effort for me.

They are not smart, think of them like water lines. You can apply filters and They can get backed up.

You still need a griller. But with an automated system you can run 30-40 dupes food with 2 ranchers a cook and a little bit of labor to fill up the sedimentary rock dump and put an egg into an incubator now and then.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sweepers will also load incubators!

A few quick tips, most of which apply to fluids too:

-Rails are as dumb as pipes. If you need to do complicated routing the last major update introduced the solid filter, but it's also easy to dump the cargo to a receptacle / chute and use another sweeper to pick up and route what you want to continue elsewhere.
-Rails can indeed block up but in practise this won't happen if you use chutes at the exits.
-Bridge exits will evenly distribute output to all connected lines. You can use it to create 2-trees, 3-trees or even really ugly 4-trees to split cargo (I use the merging of bridge entrances to route eggs).

Sweepers won't cook for you - they'll load the grill but the dupe needs to cook; kind of like venting oil equipment.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 25, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bold Robot posted:

Are you using a weight plate set to anything over the weight of (1 egg + 1 food drop) to toggle your autosweeper? I assume it's a single-tile tank.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I wait to really build sweepers until I get lead , and I have a bunch of hatches running until then. Getting all that coal from the pen clogs the lines so I need to make a chute which is then picked up.

I really need to rethink a lot of things, maybe get a refinery up sooner

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Are you using a weight plate set to anything over the weight of (1 egg + 1 food drop) to toggle your autosweeper? I assume it's a single-tile tank.

The central problem is that in order to maintain a breeder tank with 1 fish, you need to move every egg but the last one is lays out of the tank. But the last one it lays will happen at like age 24/25, so you cant just take all eggs out. There isn't a sensor for critter age. Waiting until the breeder dies and grabing the next egg out of the bulk tank has a good chance of getting a wild egg, making you spend time and algae taming.

My workaround was just to use 2 breeders and whenever one dies, the next egg the other makes gets hatched into the breeder tank. Its 2x the algae drain, but 2x the fish bred. Have your two breeders be over 2 days apart in age to keep both from dying before either can lay a replacement. It should work just fine even when algae dries up.

Also, doesn't your breeder tank need to be 8 water tiles per fish?

Roundboy posted:

I wait to really build sweepers until I get lead

Same, except for ranching, which sweepers can automate things for you the player by auto moving eggs instead of sweeping and turn storage on/off compared to just for the dupes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Roundboy posted:

I wait to really build sweepers until I get lead , and I have a bunch of hatches running until then. Getting all that coal from the pen clogs the lines so I need to make a chute which is then picked up.

I really need to rethink a lot of things, maybe get a refinery up sooner
Sweepers are ok to wait for a refinery I think. Smart batteries are the only thing I crush out of ore in significant numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I usually crush a 50 order of copper and gold on demand for very occasional needs. That and forever on lime sees me through to a proper refinery.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 6, 2020