Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Thankfully tlou2 is going to show us how real stories are done. Step aside anime dorks, I've got 90 minutes of teenage girls being savagely beaten to show you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ff7r bodybuilders: preach acceptance and working hard no matter who you are

tlou2 bodybuilders: beat pregnant lesbian couples to a bloody pulp

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Thankfully tlou2 is going to show us how real stories are done. Step aside anime dorks, I've got 90 minutes of teenage girls being savagely beaten to show you

Oh so you think likable characters interacting in fun ways and positively impacting them and showing growth is fun? loving nerds. Sad and depressing with hyper-realistic gore and delighting in killing pregnant women is the way to go.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh so you think likable characters interacting in fun ways and positively impacting them and showing growth is fun? loving nerds. Sad and depressing with hyper-realistic gore and delighting in killing pregnant women is the way to go.

hey man some days you want cute critters building an ideal society (if you disregard the capitalist tanuki overlord) and some days you wanna blow up a bus full of nuns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that is fun but unfortunately ff7 doesnt have likeable characters and they dont interact in fun or positive ways

sad and depressing and light and happy and everything in between are all legitimate and its probably good to enjoy a spread of tonally different media and not tunnel in on one thing and if ur reading this as a defense of a game that isnt out and i havnt played pls take a moment

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I’ll never forget when Sephiroth wrestled Aerith to the ground and then hammered a pair of nine inch nails into her elbows

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

that is fun but unfortunately ff7 doesnt have likeable characters and they dont interact in fun or positive ways

I didn’t think your posts could get worse yet here we are

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i really liked the mk3 homage were abby is beating the poo poo out of ellie and both fall two grounds into the basement. poignant

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah I know you didn't mean it as a defense of tlou but i'll take sloppy japanese jank over John Madden's Teenage Face Smasher 2020 any day

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the Ed Boon “toasty!” soundclip that played after Joel’s death seemed out of place but the more I think about it the more I understand what Neil was trying to say

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

unlikeable character that doesn't interact in a fun or positive way? uh, turn your monitor on much??

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theres lots of fun sloppy japanese jank but none of it is in ff7, a game which only starts off fun and becomes completely miserable and nonsensical as time goes by. ill just play a good game instead like "katamari damacy"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

or ffx-2

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
this guy are sick

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

really any other final fantasy in fact

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I thought they made real clever use of that Michael Buffer soundbite before the angry lady bashes Ellie's face with a chair.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Bold of Neil putting an archery demonstration with the character who has no qualms on breaking a teenage girl jaw, beating a man to death with a golf club and who wanted to cut the throat of a pregnant lady. Thats complex storytelling right there babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zeta Acosta posted:

Bold of Neil putting an archery demonstration with the character who has no qualms on breaking a teenage girl jaw, beating a man to death with a golf club and who wanted to cut the throat of a pregnant lady. Thats complex storytelling right there babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

tbf Joel's probably done all that and more so it's not too out of place for the game to try to humanize abby the same way

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

that is fun but unfortunately ff7 doesnt have likeable characters

I won't have you besmirching my precious idiot son Cloud and his pure boyfriend Zack like this

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlestonJew posted:

tbf Joel's probably done all that and more so it's not too out of place for the game to try to humanize abby the same way

but she killed someone i like

therefore it's bad writing

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i dont like joel OR ellie

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zeta Acosta posted:

this is terrible writing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

congrats on being the target audience for tlou2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just rewatched the second TLOU2 trailer now that we know who those characters are and yeah it's a very Last House on the Left reveling in the violence -- hanged disemboweled people, lingering on holding down the character while someone takes a hammer to the elbows, drawing out seeing someone getting hanged

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You can tell that the leaks messed up the misdirection they were going for with the trailers so far. The trailers heavily imply that Ellie's girlfriend is murdered by another group so Ellie sets out for revenge and Joel teams up with her later so she doesn't have to do it alone. But now we know Ellie is actually setting out to avenge Joel and her girlfriend survives.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If TLOU2 wanted to realistically depict violence in a post apocalypse it should have been a rogue-like.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This thread has been a good read, the finest since the FF7 leak thread. Indeed on the battle of anime vs detailed disturbing stuff, let's not forget Berserk and all the fine very disturbing anime/manga titles. Preaching to the anime choir I know, just sayin'. TLoU2 wishes it was anime dark. "Now it's dark" to quote Frank Booth.

That all said, I'm stopping by to talk about tangential stuff that isn't TLoU2. What caught my eye is the discussion on good/bad characters, such as Joel. And the ol' is it dumb to like them or whatever thing. Like you're missing the point, a'la some Breaking Bad viewers etc.

My take, I think it's cool to have stories about characters who do bad things. And we can like those characters. I don't look to art/entertainment (props to Ebert) for straight ahead morality stuff. Unless that's the appeal, like Monkey D Luffy pounding the corrupt and fighting injustice for his homies.

My point here, in other mediums like fiction, movies, we have all sorts of flawed messed up protagonists who are beloved. I don't see anything wrong with being a fan of Joel, or Walter White, or Tony Montana etc. I liked to root for Light in Death Note, why not. I hope ol Doc Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) gets away and makes it to the next movie.

It is true that some have glossed over these things, we've all pointed out that Walter White was bad to somebody probably. But he was still a gripping protagonist, and I don't think it was unusual to again kind of root for him, even though he did despicable things. Part of the magic of entertainment. You watch people do stuff that is compelling, even if irl you'd find it horrific. At least I do.

Ok, I wanted to talk about that, but hell who am I kidding, I'll chime in on the spoiler talk. I thought it was well established that Joel would die, from the trailers etc. It's fine by me. Romero said he considered having no survivors in Dawn of the Dead, it's the genre.

That said, I love a Kojima twist, MGS2 rules, but indeed it doesn't sound like they pulled this off. We'd rather play as Ellie, and at least in MGS2 Raiden is bros with Snake. Playing as characters at odds is not off limits, it just sounds unappealing here.

So my thought at the moment is to wait for tue game to be on sale for 20 bucks, and play maybe the first third or half. Just wet my beak a bit. Kind of like how you just know to stop watching Beverly Bill's 90210 after season 6. Since Luke Perry left and it's just a natural jump off point, as we all surely know.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 5, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Monkey D. Luffy absolutely does bad things, dude trashed the equivalent of a supermax and allowed some absolute monsters to escape just to get his brother back, and a lot of the people he let out absolutely should’ve been there

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you also get people who completely get wrapped in characters like walter white and forget theyre bad and you have to remind them too, if you can get a word in during their rant about skyler

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheKingofSprings posted:

Monkey D. Luffy absolutely does bad things, dude trashed the equivalent of a supermax and allowed some absolute monsters to escape just to get his brother back, and a lot of the people he let out absolutely should’ve been there

He did step up the rebel aspect as it went on, more nuanced, for sure. Just you know, the "burning justice" kind of archetype that he often exemplifies is what I mean there. Goodly hero comes to town, sees it's run by a corrupt shark guy or whatever, kicks rear end in a rage of justice.

And then we've got other sorts of stories, where we can become attached to and root for characters who aren't heroic etc.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stux posted:

you also get people who completely get wrapped in characters like walter white and forget theyre bad and you have to remind them too, if you can get a word in during their rant about skyler

Breaking Bad is very good but the ending is literally a love letter to Walter White, misunderstood good guy just trying his best. It bummed me out that the show completely pandered to the idiots in the end.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i had already watched all of dexter before i saw breaking bad so that part seemed very muted and nuanced in comparison

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rooting for Dexter is pulpy and fun, call me crazy. And talk about endings, my oh my Dexter.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Breaking Bad is very good but the ending is literally a love letter to Walter White, misunderstood good guy just trying his best. It bummed me out that the show completely pandered to the idiots in the end.

This is the topic I find so interesting. You look at it as people are idiots for being into that, I don't look at it that way. Though I can agree there are some that did miss or gloss over Walter being bad, doesn't mean everyone does. You can get that, root for several characters even, I just don't look at it as a 1 to 1 thing like that.

For example, back in the day movies had that code etc, and people who did bad just about always got their comeuppance. Almost any US crime movie from the 40s and 50s, they'd make it plain that doing crime was bad, etc. A lot of those are cool stories, but the ending can feel tacked on and patronizing.

I like it when entertainment does get messy like that, lets you find a horrible person charming, etc. You can have a love letter to a fictional bad person. Not what you wanted out of that story, but not inherently idiotic to enjoy I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 5, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the last couple of seasons of dexter are extremely strange where the writers were entirely in love with him to the point of writing and then dropping completely whacked out plot threads like an incestual relationship. also the show isnt good at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite thing about this whole spoiler debacle has been the people going on about how it's actually about ethics in game writing, while posting nothing but bigoted memes about minorities in games. Reddit is very upset, they have an entire subreddit designed solely to be upset about this game; but for the life of me I can't find many people actually saying what they don't like about the leaks outside of Abbey existing and two women raising a child together. which is rather telling, I feel, about how most of those people.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
If your face didn't light up like Aerith's at the Honey Bee Inn then I'm sorry friend, but your brain's been taken over by fungi

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

If your face didn't light up like Aerith's at the Honey Bee Inn then I'm sorry friend, but your brain's been taken over by fungi

Everything before, during and after that was amazing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ff7 is all fun and games until the end of disc 1 and then the actual plot happens and we leave behind all the good ideas

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

ff7 is all fun and games until the end of disc 1 and then the actual plot happens and we leave behind all the good ideas

Also not true because untangling Cloud’s past and reconciling the unreliable accounts of previous events is a very good and interesting idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it devolves into a complete mess and adding kingdom hearts to it is going t o make it even worse namaste