Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Voodoofly posted:

I’m asking. You quote my vote but I’ve already said that vote was based on total miscomprehension.

Hahaha oh yeah I forgot about this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I'm going to say, based solely on D1 post count, that Liger and Voodoo are town.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Tom we are clearly the tl;dr all-stars. I'm just gonna cut this down to one specific thing I still want to talk about.

Tom Tucker posted:

3) I guess you're agreeing with LordNad's general idea
I'm not! It's a bad case! What bugs me is your avenue of attack on it. From reading LordNad, it seems to me that what set him off wasn't Liger's vote in itself, but Liger pulling that vote. So analyzing LN's thoughts regarding the vote aren't cogent to the point, as it's the unvote he called scummy. So while you explained very well in one of the parts you cut out why you were bringing up the hypothetical of "what if Liger didn't unvote", I still see it as a distraction. Liger unvoting is what set LN off.

I just can't see scum watching Liger make an obvious jokevote on D1 and thinking "aha, here is my prey for the day, I can twist anything he does after this to look scummy".

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amnistar posted:

I'm going to say, based solely on D1 post count, that Liger and Voodoo are town.

I have the opposite gut read of Voodoo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thank forking god i didnt click anyone's profile this time

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Andy - LordNad mentions the "unvoting when called on it" piece during his vote, but his very clear push after that is because he joke voted a third vote. See this post sequence:

LordNad posted:

You joke voted a guy with 2 serious votes and then unvoted when called out on it.

Seems to me you're trying to build momentum in the guise of "it's a joke vote".

##vote Officer Liger

Unvote is mentioned, but in the context of backing off what LordNad states is the scummy behavior, because he follows up with:

LordNad posted:

I'm voting because what you did was scummy and your explanation afterwards doesn't feel right. Where did I agree with your prior points of view?

LordNad posted:

So you admit you voted for a guy with 2 serious votes who you thought was town

LordNad posted:

You deliberately dropped the 3rd vote for someone you thought was town as a joke. Get lynched

The doubling down is ALL about the initial "joke vote", not the unvote.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

original gut on voodoo was probably scum, attempt at mafiadadding early rubbed me the wrong way, reading through his posts now though it looks like he's trying to get the day moving with prodding on tnl (at the time inactive) and fifty (who is totally inactive). not ruling anything out but not the direction i'd want to go in for a lynch today.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

CapnAndy posted:

I just can't see scum watching Liger make an obvious jokevote on D1 and thinking "aha, here is my prey for the day, I can twist anything he does after this to look scummy".

I don't think this is the mindset - it's a quick and simple to seeing something that you can in some form feel is scummy and thus feel safe arguing it. Suspecting Liger was simple because it was very easy to argue the "facts", that's why I feel it was opportunistic. I don't think it's a vote designed to get Liger launched, I think it's a vote designed to be safe, but also make you appear active, making cases, and participating in discussion.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Really want to hear back from Kumba now that Voodoo has reminded me that her entire basis for her vote on Liger was agreeing with a vote that was objectively and easily noticeable as wrong.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Token Female posted:

Are these votes (and Yuming's) bad because they are voting for Amnistar because you think Amnistar is town? Or because you don't like how they frame their votes?

yes.

seriously though, yes to both. amnistar is a pretty easy target to jump on and they all did and in a very lazy way.

yuming has knee-jerked a case onto me, though i don't think it's necessarily scummy in yumings case. my vague memory of the two or three games i've played with yuming, had them calling me scum for my posting style in (i think) all of them. so that's a null tell.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Let’s just lunch merk before he has a chance to come back and respond

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

I’m going to go thru the thread this morning after I get a project done but let’s be clear we should absolutely lynch a lurker on day 1 without something really persuasive otherwise.

disagree. lynching lurkers gives gently caress all content and is a really really easy crutch for scum. they're excused from giving hard reads on anyone.

Tom Tucker posted:

It's day one with a gazillion hours left and I'm saying paying attention to people who are sitting on the sidelines after they've had a few days to weigh in is a good idea, yes!

same as above.

the game has a lurker mechanic in place, what is the value add here? we'd get way better insight into if there is scum or not in the lurkers, by end of day two, because you'd have two days worth of people just barely scraping through the post count minimum.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

##vote Varinn

Would also vote MiR, yuming, or anybody else who tried to make something big out of the vig shot being a "scum power/thing". Scum usually need something to sink their teeth into content wise on D1 and that was a perfect opportunity to sow confusion. I'm willing to give Amni the benefit of the doubt until some other stuff happens, or.. hell... if his posting was too scummy to ignore, I wouldn't even factor in the vig as something that should be "points" for his town. But he just seems like every other D1 vig that hit or missed.

I think I agree with this one too. Varinn came out of the gate strong, voted Amni, criticized people for sitting on the sidelines, and then just kind of vanished into a puff of smoke.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

I think I agree with this one too. Varinn came out of the gate strong, voted Amni, criticized people for sitting on the sidelines, and then just kind of vanished into a puff of smoke.

"Active" is probably a better word than "strong." The vote on Amni wasn't good.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

Unreal.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

Do you have anything better? You have a lot of "these are bad" but nothing else.

are they not bad? engage with me about them then.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rereading through yuming, who im still not sure on, actually got me rereading zzyxzx

zzyzx posted:

Now let's get some votes of opportunity on the Liger voters of opportunity who didn't like the Amni votes of opportunity.
this was after he piggybacked to vote me and tom tucker said he townread me/thought the votes on me were suspect. weirdly defensive when no votes are going lordnad/jivjovs/etc way yet.

zzyzx posted:

Of course it contradicts what you've said so far; I think it's a made-up reason. If Steak had flipped scum, you absolutely would not have followed up with, "I just did it because it was funny, I didn't have any scum read on him." (You'd be getting familiar with the smug emojis instead.) That only came after yuming voted you.

Varinn asks why a townie would try to make excuses like that, and the answer is that they know they did something dumb.

he still is trying to paint amnis action as scummy, and is putting words in his mouth. what if steak flips scum and amni still says it was for a laff? thats exactly how i would have gone with it (and i absolutely would have popped off first chance day one, don't ever give me vig powers)

zzyzx posted:

I think that you're town, because day-vigs (and certainly day-vigs who shoot other townies on d1) usually are. I also think backpedaling into, "that's what I meant to do all along" after you get called out is an understandable reaction.

That said, if you get a hit on Steak, we all congratulate you while you explain what a great gut read it was; if you miss, we get to make fun of you. You're not upholding your end of the social contract here.

(And you followed it up with a vote on me, so you're batting zero so far. Do better.)

continuing to push on amni. hes not voting there though, is it because he doesnt see a path there? the do better line bothers me.

zzyzx posted:

I've read this a few times and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The vig should be looked at if he coasts and doesn't do much else. However, by voting for Amni, Varinn has made Amni aware of this, and it gives Amni "room" to participate in future game days and claim that he's not coasting. I think you're criticizing Varinn's case for this.

Wouldn't we all expect Amni to do that anyway?

i dont even know whats going on in this post, khris kruel please do not share your edibles midmafia.

zzyzx posted:

The fact that it was a THIRD VOTE isn't necessarily the point. Assuming for the sake of argument that it's a joke, queuing up your joke vote with "I'd join this but I want to see more evidence first" is weird. And then waiting until other people have made serious votes and plonking down your joke vote right after is also weird.

Take this post from Voodoo:

quote:

Voodoofly posted:

On an unrelated note, I’m now fine voting amni day 1 just so I don’t have to see that avatar anymore.

I think that's fine on its own. But imagine if he put "But I want to see more before I vote." at the end of it, and then I made a long case where I vote Amni after changing my mind and definitively proving that he's scum, and then Voodoo immediately signs on once I'm done. We'd yell at him for that. (I certainly would.)

he's still on this one

zzyzx posted:

quote:

Voodoofly posted:

So basically you are indifferent to whether it's a joke or no
That's certainly the narrative now that he's been called on it, but I don't think it's obvious that it was at the time. Regardless, the sequence of it sounds off in my head.

hes saying tht my posts are retroactively jokes, as opposed to being jokes when they were first posted????????????????????

i think we have something here.

zzyzx posted:

By now merk has normally started yelling and screaming until he gets his way, but so far it's just a couple of crappy drive-by votes where merk says "fake" and runs off.

quote:

merk posted:

I won a Voodoofly Wifoa big game after Dhaes, my scum buddy, shot a person on day 1. I bussed him immediately and rode that to a win. A scum dayvig blowing someone away day 1 is definitely legitimate. That said, a scum dayvig shooting Steak, a usual town negative, is not that realistic.

My issue with the little stuff I’ve read is people discounting a scum day vig shooting d1 generally without mining into the context of who he shot at all. KK, in particular, has the fakest read. ##vote KK

merk posted:

I'm down with this. The Amnistar vig is probably the best thing to find fake content so far today, and this zzyzx thing is probably the best fake content to find.

##vote zzyzx

Would also vote KK.

Interesting note about the first one: the game merk refers to is WIFOA IV, which doesn't show up in the votefinder tally because it's too old. Like merk says, it's an example (albeit an old one) of a scum using a day-vig early on. Two problems with this:

1) WIFOA is a fundamentally different setup in which players choose their roles at the outset, which gives the scum an opportunity at a day-vig. The argument here is that it's unlikely that a mod assigns a scum player a day-vig because it creates balance issues - saying "it happened in a WIFOA game" isn't a response to that.

2) merk goes on to argue that Amni is likely town because he shot Steak, a "usual town negative", and scum probably wouldn't do that. In the same game he quoted that's exactly what his teammate did - Dhaes shot winvirus, who (if I recall right) might charitably be described as a usual town negative.

I think merk, as town, is detail-oriented enough to consider both of these things before posting (or, if he's too busy, to wait until he has time before doing it). Would vote.

also weird shots at merk trying to cast doubt on his credibility (due to...inactivity? omgus? i dont know.)

i sense a real lovely game from this direction especially after watching zz play in harry potter. also big case posts like this on mobile is like doing a self root canal and i will probably not do it ever again (on mobile)

##vote zzyzx this is where i feel scum is on day one

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Token Female posted:

Sure!

I'm suspicious of Hambeet.

In addition to basically saying that we should ignore the lurkers (in the above post) there has been some posting but minimal analysis. It seems like hambeet is around, lurking and saying that we shouldn't target lurkers but one of the active posters instead. I don't like this. ##vote hambeet

okay, please give me the pro argument for pursuing lurkers in a game with a lurker mechanic.

how does it help determine player intent when the argument is going to basically be "they didn't post enough" ?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*looks up on head to see big novelty hat with "Mafia Dad" written on it*

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

okay im back, ill catch up this afternoon and figure out where i stand

keane, you have as always proven yourself to be the most admirable of friends. thank you

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

Yuming's post about Hambeer

A good callout of a low-content posted! The point that Hambeet argues we have a lot of good content, yet is not doing anything with that content, is indeed suspicious. Scummy read on Hambeet - good point Yuming!

Capn Andy's post on Liger / LordNad

Andy correctly puts the Liger posts in context and we agree on the read. Andy also point out the doubling / tripling down of LordNad, but we draw opposite conclusions from it. That's fine - I'm waffling on LordNad anyway, with leaning more towards scum on LordNad after re-reading and re-thinking the "admission" word usage in context (of admitting nothing). Capn Andy reads town.

Kumba's lurker explanation is plausible I remember seeing something about the game starting Sunday too. But then this:

Bandwagon vote with no explanation (literally no explanation) then followed up with a "clarification" and I went "oh OK we're going to hear why they want to vote Liger" but nope. Very suspicious. The next point they make is:

Responding to Liger saying "but the blue cheese line has me worried" - implying that this is a hedge is super weird, and not nearly enough to imply the "I'm good with my vote" confidence and finality, it almost cuts of conversation on the reasons for the vote, which is convenient, because Kumba hasn't EXPLAINED the vote. Strong suspicion of Kumba, I'd vote them day 1 based on this.

KK this is true that Liger hasn't been adding content, but I'd like to clarify that I think we should look at low content posters I am not advocating for a day 1 lurker launch. My defense of him is that I don't think scum would stick their necks out of behave the way he has for exactly the reason that he has drawn unwarranted attention. The fact that he's a poo poo poster is well taken and perfectly valid in advocating for his launch.

Andy I will follow up on your post of me in a separate post!

firstly, i like that both yuming and tom tucker knee jerk onto me after i've commented negatively on their posts. really normal town play. as is the cheer leading of yumings post. hmmmmmm.

is it a coincidence that the next person tom tucked attacks is someone else who has raised an odd feeling about yuming's posting?

hmmmmmm

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I meant I wasn't going to interleave quotes X-COM 2: Chimaera Squad style.

*loading screen with APC*

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I agree with hambeet wrt lurker launches.

If someone just isn't into the game then they'll probably be replaced D2, otherwise they'll be modkilled for lurking eventually if they don't pick it up. The problem takes care of itself without us wasting launches on it.

Lurker launches let scum happily jump on a wagon without worrying about a town flip because they can just shrug it off as "Oh well, I guess they shouldn't have been lurking!" and then we learn nothing D2 from the D1 launch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

hambeet posted:

okay, please give me the pro argument for pursuing lurkers in a game with a lurker mechanic.

how does it help determine player intent when the argument is going to basically be "they didn't post enough" ?
They're detriments to the town and we shouldn't need the mods to do our job for us. Plus, the mods are incentivized to set an extremely lax standard for "lurking" because modkills are disruptive to the game. We can take out anyone we want for whatever reasons seem good to us.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

sandwolf! what a good suggestion.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

They're detriments to the town and we shouldn't need the mods to do our job for us. Plus, the mods are incentivized to set an extremely lax standard for "lurking" because modkills are disruptive to the game. We can take out anyone we want for whatever reasons seem good to us.

how does it give us data for the next day?

how does it actually help the game?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

hambeet posted:

*loading screen with APC*
Torque is the best squaddie because after two games of snake bullshit, it is primally satisfying to perpetrate the AI's own dick moves back on it. OH HOW DO YOU LIKE GETTING YOUR DUDE GRABBED FROM HALFWAY ACROSS THE SCREEN AND LOSING HIS TURN, COMPUTER? NOT VERY MUCH? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wiill fight anyone who disagrees with me on this.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Tom Tucker posted:

Really want to hear back from Kumba now that Voodoo has reminded me that her entire basis for her vote on Liger was agreeing with a vote that was objectively and easily noticeable as wrong.

i read 340 posts in about 15 minutes and have no idea what you're talking about

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hambeet posted:

*looks up on head to see big novelty hat with "Mafia Dad" written on it*

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

hambeet posted:

how does it give us data for the next day?

how does it actually help the game?
Any flip is data, and it helps because we remove, at worst, a townie who wasn't helping the dang town. At best we get a scum, and trying to fade into the background is a prime scum strategy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Any flip is data, and it helps because we remove, at worst, a townie who wasn't helping the dang town. At best we get a scum, and trying to fade into the background is a prime scum strategy.

okay so then we know the person who flips is town, but we have bugger all on the intent of the people voting them. were they town or scum? we will never know because they didn't make an argument about their vote!

if we're actually having to make cases based on peoples posting, we can go back and review those posters arguments post-flip to see if they were genuine or horseshit.

i cannot think of a single game where we've bagged a lurking scum on a lurker lynch. it's super easy for their team buds to prod them and get them posting. it's wasteful, both in towns time and numbers. i'd rather we make a bad case and flip town, than make no case and flip town. one of them gives us info to work with the next day.

anyway, i feel i've said enough on this topic.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i've ordered three

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

hambeet posted:

firstly, i like that both yuming and tom tucker knee jerk onto me after i've commented negatively on their posts. really normal town play. as is the cheer leading of yumings post. hmmmmmm.

is it a coincidence that the next person tom tucked attacks is someone else who has raised an odd feeling about yuming's posting?

hmmmmmm

makes you think

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

hambeet posted:

are they not bad? engage with me about them then.

Liger was a joke. Varin I read as just trying to get something going, although the lack of any further posting I find bad. Yumnings vote is pretty weak with “a scum would definitely do this to look town” but her votes since then have seemed legit.

I don’t really disagree with any of your votes I just wanted more than “that’s bad” because I’ve never played with you and was trying to get any sort of read and also just push the game along.

If you really want to debate lunching lurkers as a strategy or not I’ll post way more about it when I’m back on a computer. Honestly though I’ve had that fight so many times I really don’t want to deal with it again. Basically don’t rely on mods, lurkers hurt the town and allow scum to hide, what Andy said etc.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

First quick thoughts: Collectively destroying a lurker is absolutely always on the table, but is more sort of the "is the case against anyone strong enough, if not, let's consider this other option." So I'll return to that when I'm done.

Rather than trying to suss out the collective case-threads right away, I'll start with a quick read through on everyone, really get my pieces in order. Like any good drama, I'll start episodic and then switch to serialization.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Deadbeat Dad posted:

makes you think

oh i forgot about that

:thunk:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

kumba posted:

i read 340 posts in about 15 minutes and have no idea what you're talking about

When I voted Liger I thought his vote was serious. I later realized it was a joke. So you saying you are voting him for same reason I did sounds like you don’t think he was joking.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hello friends, beloved trickster C. C. Keane is here.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Here's who I was thinking - Voodoo go read it back in context.

I don't think Voodoo is scum here he straight up admits he's skimming.

LordNad here is really leaning in:

This doesn't seem genuine to me, where have joke votes ever built momentum? If you believe this what is Liger's best-case scenario, that he sticks his neck out as the third vote which causes a tidal wave of momentum, but has his cake and eats it too by making it a joke vote? What does he do when the tidal wave comes in, unvote his joke vote? Leave it on and look scummy as hell? There's no "good" scenario here there's no reason for him to be pushing a 2-vote candidate with a joke vote expecting results and assigning that motivation to him seems absurd. Early in day 1 joke-voting someone who has two votes, who cares?

It's the momentum onto HIM that stands out to me. LordNad had already raised my hackles with this post:

Where I accused him of basically contributing to a discussion (which I found unproductive), keeping it going, while adding nothing of real value. I think the Liger vote is partially in response to being called on that, but his vote is also mere statements of fact. My gut tells me LordNad is avoiding stating opinions of things and relying on facts to explain themselves because facts don't lie, even if they don't say what his vote implies they do.

His actual vote looks to split the difference - stating facts, then stating his "opinion" that this is an attempt to build momentum, which I believe is a flawed conclusion. LordNad gets pushed back and I feel like backed into it he feels the need to double down.

Continued engagement but the "explanation afterwards doesn't feel right" - what about it doesn't feel right? LordNad seems to hold the views that it was a joke vote and was some sort of scheme to build momentum simultaneously. I think these two ideas are, in most cases I can think of, exclusionary.

This is what really annoys me though. Again LordNad is simply stating facts, but framing it as if it is an "admission". This framing is very suspicious to me - Liger has already said it was a joke vote, we know the other two votes are serious ones, Liger has stated he feels Amni was town, none of these facts are in contention. Yet here we have LordNad presenting them as if it is some sort of "admission". It feeds into LordNad's "bring up facts to continue conversations but add little" and what I feel is a hard-to-draw conclusion based on those facts which he does and then presents as a done deal or some "admission" of Liger's.

Here LordNad gets a little bit out of the hole by trying to make an argument here and ascribe motive, which is good, but the argument itself seems silly compared to the wording he's used before (mostly "admission"). Liger is joking about Amni's avatar and overall being worthless but doesn't actually vote Amni. LordNad asks "why not just vote" which is a question I still don't understand. Why do anything when you're joking around? If your point is that he's scummy for still joke-voting when people are getting serious that's fine, but it's not LordNad's point, he's saying that Liger planted this idea then waited 12 minutes to do the actual vote because he wanted a third vote for more momentum and was taking advantage of the opportunity which is, to me, absurd. The Machiavellian picture that unfolds of scum, seeing 1 vote on Amni, and tenting their fingers and saying "ah yes! I will vote for Amni as a JOKE VOTE to push the lunch! But I can't just do it... I must set up my joke vote, which is actually a real vote to push the lunch, but making a FIRST post wherein I say I might vote him, then when the second vote happens, I sweep in with my third vote, and the lunch will be on autopilot from there! Now to play the waiting game..." it's nonsense. LordNad is pushing it hard and vaccilating between stating facts "you voted for someone you thought was town" which are not in disagreement with absurd doubling-down that this is somehow scummy (it ain't).

The real voter of opportunity today is not Liger it is LordNad.

##vote LordNad

I disagree with the bolded section but LordNad analysis feels fine, townie post IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Doing some reading back, and yeah...Liger building momentum on someone like that seems a bit sus....tbh I don't know you well enough to definitely trust my own reads, but when they are already lining up with the majority...

##vote OFFICER LIGER

This makes me Hmm.