Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BaconCopter posted:

The motion controls implemented in the Prime Trilogy release always felt completely awful to me. Aiming is neat, but entirely unneeded for most of the game since enemies rarely have variable hitboxes. The lock-on system from the original lets you focus on movement while also having infinitely better beam/visor selection that doesn't interfere with combat. Prime 3 is even more egregious with the stupid slapped in motion control switches.

I have no strong feelings on the controls themselves (Prime 3 felt fine to play, IMO, though I can imagine Prime 1's more low key pace clashing with the zippy aiming) but it does suck that the motion controls necessitated removing all of the cool beam effects and hand position stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karin73
Mar 11, 2019

Karin73 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 4, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrb5u8EN_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNMnLJHSQdY

(forgive the potato quality, these were WMVs that were passed around Filefront back in the day)

Day of Defeat is probably the oldest FPS I still play with some regularity. Again, not counting doom

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2020

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I wonder if Half Life 2 is coming out soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sweet, a sequel to Deus Ex! This is gonna be amazing!

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Anyone played Eradicator? Just picked it up on GOG

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

Sweet, a sequel to Deus Ex! This is gonna be amazing!

I still love Invisible War. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

thicc_waluigi posted:

Anyone played Eradicator? Just picked it up on GOG

I played just a little bit of it. I found a copy of Dark Forces at a thrift store and when the saleslady opened the case to check the disc, it turned out someone had shoved the Eradicator disc in as well, and she didn't care so I got two games for the price of one. Like I said, I didn't play much, but it's a neat little Build engine-like, if nothing special. I should pick it up on GOG at some point too.

I think I also picked up a copy of Descent 1+2: The Definitive Collection in that same run. Same store at least. Pretty good day, all-in-all.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

2003:
Call of Duty
Chaser
Chrome
Contract J.A.C.K.
CTU: Marine Sharpshooter
Day of Defeat
Devastation
Hidden & Dangerous 2
Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
Nosferaru: Wrath of Malachi
PlanetSide
Postal 2
RoboCop
Savage: The Battle for Newerth (a mix of FPS and third person probably, but I’ll allow it)
Star Trek: Elite Force II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
SWAT: Global Strike Team
Ubi Soft presents Red Storm Entertainment’s Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Tron 2.0
Unreal II: The Awakening
Vietcong
Warhammer 40.000: Fire Warrior
Will Rock
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
XIII

Not as awesome as 2002, but a couple of gems there. I am guessing we were far enough in the console cycle at this point that everybody and their mom was releasing their current gen title.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked Unreal 2 because I am a bad person

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was released in NA in 2003, but EU had to wait 3 months longer? I know that: (A) localization takes time, and (B) you want those Christmas sales, but that is just amazing. That alone tells you something about that game.

But I enjoyed the game too! Although that was years later when the game was 10 bucks lol

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked Unreal 2 because I am a bad person

It’s amazing how there are all these segments about the other crew members on your ship, and then the ship just blows up in one lf the last levels (without you on it).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 4, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Deus Ex 2 on an OG Xbox and it was really bad and at the time I was like "oh thats what I get for playing a chopped down PC port, cant wait to play it on PC some day" and weeeeeeeell.

Ive still played it and beaten it the most of all Deus Ex games

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

Name a more iconic FPS game song that isn't doom music

Grabbag?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mierenneuker posted:

Deus Ex: Invisible War was released in NA in 2003, but EU had to wait 3 months longer? I know that: (A) localization takes time, and (B) you want those Christmas sales, but that is just amazing. That alone tells you something about that game.

But I enjoyed the game too! Although that was years later when the game was 10 bucks lol

It’s amazing how there are all these segments about the other crew members on your ship, and then the ship just blows up in one lf the last levels (without you on it).

God that ending for Unreal II is just really weird and really stupid, honestly I'm amazed Civvie didn't give them more poo poo for it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So...are Jedi Academy and Battlefront 1/2 (old ones) that're on sale on Steam worth playing nowadays? Either as campaigns or as bot-filled arena matches.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yes to Jedi Academy. The campaign levels are bite-sized chunks that you let you play around with your lightsaber and force powers from the get-go (unlike Jedi Outcast). You won't get a deep, thrilling story, but the game is fine without one.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 4, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Good old 2003. Can someone go steal Civvie's copy of Postal 2?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

2003:
Savage: The Battle for Newerth (a mix of FPS and third person probably, but I’ll allow it)

Not as awesome as 2002, but a couple of gems there. I am guessing we were far enough in the console cycle at this point that everybody and their mom was releasing their current gen title.

Savage was following Battlezone and Natural Selection as an FPS/RTS multiplayer hybrid. It led to Heroes of Newerth which was like the third or fourth place MOBA and then died right as Battle Royale games supplanted MOBA's in the public eye.

Yeah, Natural Selection was wild and blew my mind that dusty rear end Half-Life could have this kind of life. 2002 also had Command & Conquer: Renegade which I absolutely loved and would've been happy if that's how the franchise continued instead of whatever EA ended up doing with the corpse.

2003 I was really into Delta Force: Black Hawk down, based on a movie nobody remembers starring every British actor an American could name in 2001. It was a fun hybrid between the more tactical shooters like Delta Force had been before and the soon to be popular Call of Duty style. Buuut it and Vietcong kind of made me more aware of how FPS's were starting to emulate movies more directly instead of their more abstract scenarios.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For some reason the idea that the original CoD and Tron 2.0 are contemporaries is messing with my head. :psyduck:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was my big online shooter, so I’m glad it’s finally here!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Tron 2.0 was really cool. I was gonna say it’s a shame it doesn’t properly support widescreen but apparently there’s a fancy hack now that fixes it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I had never been so hyped, and then so disappointed, by a video game like I was for Unreal 2
Absolutely gorgeous game and the levels were huge. Too bad you spent most of them wandering around bunkers, tunnels, ect, shooting bullet sponge meetings, and engaging in pointless discussions with your crew!

The eXpanded Multiplayer that was added later was fun as hell though, I loved it. Too bad Legend Entertainment was literally shut down like the day after it's release ending all support, and then Unreal 2k4 was released mere months later which just evaporated whatever nascent community had developed.

Actually I was also severely disappointed by Deus Ex:IW so yea 2003 wasn't that great. 2004 on the other hand....wow.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I played the poo poo out of Unreal 2 XMP for a long time. I loved the movement, and also remember building lazer fences all over.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Artelier posted:

So...are Jedi Academy and Battlefront 1/2 (old ones) that're on sale on Steam worth playing nowadays? Either as campaigns or as bot-filled arena matches.

Battlefront 2 has an interesting campaign for what it is, some fun mechanics and great mods. Battlefront 1 is a little redundant now though, the sequel does nearly everything better and most of the maps are ported to BF2 in one way or another.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

And yet none of you shout out to SWAT, R6, or Ghost Recon! For shame.

:hmmyes:

(there are some intruders on that category but hey)

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 4, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
this was the year duke nukem forever died alone and no one realized it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

2003:

Nosferaru: Wrath of Malachi

I want to give a shout-out to this game because it's ugly, even for the time, and jank as Hell, and I love it. It has great atmosphere, can be surprisingly spooky, and frankly there aren't really any other games that try to do vampire horror. I love the setting, I love the style, and I even love how ugly it looks.

Tron 2.0 kicked rear end as well, I was allowed to play it despite it being an FPS when I wasn't allowed to play them because it was Tron. I never finished it, not because of any issues I had with it, but because I ended up mostly just doing lightcycles. drat, it really captured the feel of Tron perfectly, and is absolutely one of Monolith's hidden gems.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

drrockso20 posted:

I think all three games had a level editor, though I only had the third game myself

Also anyone else here ever play Cold Winter?

I really liked Cold Winter. I thought the gunplay was meaty and the story was more interesting than a lot of it's contemporaries.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to get into Nosferatu but I always die like 3 rooms in. Game’s hard and I know it wants you to memorize enemy weaknesses.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

I want to get into Nosferatu but I always die like 3 rooms in. Game’s hard and I know it wants you to memorize enemy weaknesses.

If I remember right, the only difference between difficulty levels is the amount of time you have to finish the game (you are on a timer). Beyond the time limit, it is difficult largely because the guns fit the setting, so they have a tendency to be rather difficult to aim, or taking a long time to reload. Use the flintlock/musket on the guys you don't have to stake, try to get the chalice (it is basically a one hit kill on most enemies, and I generally find the water fonts aren't too rare), if you crack open a coffin make sure you have a stake ready, since you have a moment before the vampire inside gets up where you can get 'em. You also have to get a real feel for the weapons, once you figure out how long you need to reload and stuff like that, you can be a lot more free with how you go about things. I hear the fists are the better choice than the cane-sword, but to be honest I don't recommend using either.

I have to admit, I haven't finished it, I got real close to the end and had to change computers and lost my save so I'm in a similar boat. It takes a bit to get back into the groove of the game.

Edit: The revolver is weaker than the flintlock, but holds more ammo and reloads faster. I recommend it for weaker enemies and as a back up weapon, in case you miss your flintlock shot or you're getting swarmed. Also, remember to look up, sometimes enemies cling to walls and ceilings, and if you see them first you can get the drop on them.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 4, 2020

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This thread is legit making me cry, I genuinely miss those days a little bit. At least the game related parts, everything school related can piss off.

Day of Defeat motherfuckers hell yeeeaah, donner and glider all day

I played so much Jedi Academy online that it's embarrassing, CTF and Siege baby.

Wolf ET and Savage were my jam too, good lord I'd give anything to relive the early 2000s.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Started Tron 2.0 and it is quite interesting. Looks like it's more complex than I expected.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Tron 2.0 is a very fun Deus Ex style of shooter-rpg, and the per chapter loadout limits and upgrade systems keep you cycling stuff out and having excuses to switch things up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And so many puns and other :3: naming schemes for everything.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jazz Jackrabbit TC for Doom looks good, I have to try it out later. edit: bah, it's super mediocre.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 5, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

Started Tron 2.0 and it is quite interesting. Looks like it's more complex than I expected.

I hope you're playing with the Killer App patch, but yes, it's very good. It's Monolith's most interesting (and IMO best overall) game as well as one of the best film IP tie-ins ever made.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's also really cool that Disney canonized the super light cycle by putting it in all the other Tron stuff until Legacy came out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know why I'm really getting into the original Sniper Elite. It's a rough rear end game even for a 2005 release but it has a classic eurojank appeal to it I can't describe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is technically a page early, but...

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1257717196114935810

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Oh, is it that time again? Farewell 2003.