Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nitpicks aside, this was an incredible game.

The ending was either stupid, ballsy, or genius. I'm personally leaning on genius. I can't stop thinking about it.

This game completely reinvigorated something I lost a decade ago: my FF fandom. Ordered XIV, going to play XIII-2, LR, and Type 0 as well.

More than that, I can't believe I'm excited for something new related to FFVII. What a mind gently caress. The possibilities are endless and it's great.

They did a fantastic job of replicating the feeling of playing FFVII. The ending, for example, reminds me of the pages and pages of FFVII analysis we had on Square forums back in the day, and the constant discussion of the Remake's ending mirrors that. Even while not even being true to the original they're being true to the original. To think they translated the "What happened?" "What happens next?"of the original to the remake is nothing short of incredible. They have remade the experience of playing the original and that should be lauded.

I find it superior to the original in most areas. It feels nice to go back to the game that started it all for me. Funny how the game that made me fall in love with RPGs has single handedly rekindled my passion for them and the series. I went into the remake expecting trash. What I got was a humbling experience. Since playing it I have grown into a more positive and less cynical person. It has taught me to give things a chance and to not be too hard on things. It's fun to learn to enjoy things again.

I was replaying the original before it and I can't articulate how much it bores me now. The remake breathed new life into it and rekindled so many memories. I forgot how much I love FFVII and after playing it so many times its luster dulled. This was the perfect shine the original needed.

Regarding the ending, one thing many are missing is that the original game was already like this. In the games ending it doesn't tell you the fate of the cast at all. You have no idea if you saved humanity or if humanity was killed by the planet. Before the Compilation and Advent Children started, a large part of FFVII discussion was debating this. "What happens next?" "Did humanity die?" "Did humanity live?" was a massive part of FFVII discourse for so long and outlived the games life and kept its discussion relevant even years after its release. Many people were pissed Advent Children even existed because it confirmed that humanity didn't die in the ending, ruining their personal ending theory. The original ending was tailor made to get the fanbase talking. Somehow, some way they've managed to replicate this in the Remakes ending, which as a feat is nothing short of amazing. Even by not being true to the original in the part 1 of the Remake's ending they're being true to the original by creating an ending that gets people talking about its implications. In that way, it's a move that may not even be ballsy but genius in that they managed to some how replicate the experience of playing FFVII all over again, down to the controversial ending with varying opinions. Incredible.

When the original came out many shat on the ending because of lack of closure. It doesn't answer poo poo. It was very controversial and spurred discussion. Everyone had their own opinion on it. If you came to FFVII after the Advent Children came out or even with Advent Children, or like Dunkey, played it for the first time within the last few years, you didn't experience of any of this. Emphasis on experience - you did not fully experience FFVII in full with the discussions and analysis that came with it. I'm telling you right now that the discussions happening now about FF7 Remake's ending are exactly what we were discussing about the original.

The fact they managed to do this with a remake of a 23 year old game is beyond stunning. This game has the ghost of my FF fandom knocking on my hearts door. I loving love it.

By far one of the most emotional game experiences I've ever had. I really loved this remake and I'm full on board with whatever comes next.

I read they haven't even gotten out of the planning stages for Part 2 and it makes me want to die.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Nah, they've been working on Part 2 since last year, supposedly. We just don't know when it will be or how many parts it'll be in total. But an interview with the producer from a few months back said that Part 2 won't take as long to develop as Part 1. But by that do they mean it'll be coming out in 2 years or 4?
I'm still thinking we'll see Part 2 in 2 years. That was about the time spent on each of the 13 sequels, if I recall correctly, and 2-3 years is a reasonable turnaround for big titles these days, especially when using the same engine. And I think it will be 3 parts in total, since they've called the remake "the fifth entry in the Compilation". You know they want to end it at 7.

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

thebardyspoon posted:

Cool, cheers. I have all of those latter ones maxed out and the rest I have in some capacity and can buy the rest. Will just have to do some levelling of my HP Ups and the elemental materias then, I think both my elemental ones are at level 2 right now but pretty far from 3.

Try it with AP Up. In hard mode, the Two-people team vs. Slum Outlaws? is the best, and can give around 100 AP per 200 gil. With AP Up it makes for a pretty easy time. Make Aerith the leader, Magic Up, Magnify+Fire, First Strike. That should kill everything in one hit, for all the fights. I spent about 5 hours there to prepare for the later chapters and it paid off really well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Beefstew posted:

Nah, they've been working on Part 2 since last year, supposedly. We just don't know when it will be or how many parts it'll be in total. But an interview with the producer from a few months back said that Part 2 won't take as long to develop as Part 1. But by that do they mean it'll be coming out in 2 years or 4?
I'm still thinking we'll see Part 2 in 2 years. That was about the time spent on each of the 13 sequels, if I recall correctly, and 2-3 years is a reasonable turnaround for big titles these days, especially when using the same engine. And I think it will be 3 parts in total, since they've called the remake "the fifth entry in the Compilation". You know they want to end it at 7.

I read this tweet regarding the Ultimania that they're still planning. Could be a cop out to gently caress with people though.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256943001726681088?s=20

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

stev posted:

My hope is that future games won't have filler like the second sewer chapter or the tunnel to Wall Market. This time around they set themselves a hard limit in terms of content. They only had Midgar to play with and had to squeeze a full length game out of it. Assuming they don't do something stupid like end the second game in Junon they won't have that restriction and will be able to pace things a little better.

Are you referring to the Collapsed Highway? You better not be, sir; I'll have you know that as an Internet Opinion Haver :v: this is one of my favorite sections of the game!

Realtalk, though, I really appreciated almost all of the "filler" that they did put in, as it helps to flesh out the world and gives you a lot more 1:1 time with each character. Overall, I'd say it added a lot of depth to each one, and I'm really hoping they keep that mindset going forward so I'm not having to make *CHOICES* about who is in my party.

Conversely, towards the end of the game, all 5 of you are running around together and chatting, but only 3 are controllable in combat at a given time, which I found to be a good compromise - all the dialogue from the whole team being there, while keeping to the three-person party dynamic of the original.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

Nitpicks aside, this was an incredible game....

This is a really, really good post and I feel like i'm in the same boat for a lot of it. After playing the remake I now WANT to play RPGs again. I WANT to get sucked into a story and to get slightly obsessed about it.

The only game other than FFVII to do that to me back when I was a teenager was Chrono Trigger and to an extent, FFVIII.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

The other ones I see a lot are:

• I don't like time travel
  • I don't like alternate universes
  • I don't like Advent Children
  • I don't like Kingdom Hearts

I can see being tired of time travel and alternate dimensions because they're common tropes and maybe half the writers out there are any good at utilizing it.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Gologle posted:

I mean, Vincent will probably be in the next game, what else do you want?

I think there's waaay too much content for them to milk to see Vincent in the next game.

As redundant as it is to guess, if I were a betting man:
Part 2: Kalm to Junon = Red XIII playable
Part 3: Costa to Cosmo = Cait Sith playable
Part 4: Nibelheim to Temple of Ancients (after cute date with Barrett) = Cid Playable
Part 5: Wutai etc. = Yuffie playable
Part X: Return to Shinra Mansion to learn about Zack = Vincent playable

Unless you folks feel like they won't actually stagger the character "unlocks" that much?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

gredgie posted:

I think there's waaay too much content for them to milk to see Vincent in the next game.

Part 4: Nibelheim to Temple of Ancients (after cute date with Barrett) = Cid Playable

Unless you folks feel like they won't actually stagger the character "unlocks" that much?

There won't be more than 3 future installments. They'll probably try to wrap it up in another 2, most likely.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dell_Zincht posted:

This is a really, really good post and I feel like i'm in the same boat for a lot of it. After playing the remake I now WANT to play RPGs again. I WANT to get sucked into a story and to get slightly obsessed about it.

The only game other than FFVII to do that to me back when I was a teenager was Chrono Trigger and to an extent, FFVIII.

I've ordered FFXIV and I'm really looking forward to it.

I hated FFXIII so much (it's the only FF from 1-12 that I don't like) that basically didn't buy a single FF until XV - nearly 8 years after XIII came out originally. FFVII Remake touched a part of me that I long lost and I can't believe it was still there all this time.

I also hated Persona 5 when I first played it, as well as Dragon Quest XI. I'm going to give those another shot as well with an open-mind.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I could see four total, just so we can catch up to the City of the Ancients before going onto the other two discs.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

I hated FFXIII so much (it's the only FF from 1-12 that I don't like) that basically didn't buy a single FF from until XV - nearly 8 years after XIII came out originally. FFVII Remake touched a part of me that I long lost and I can't believe it was still there all this time.

I also hated Persona 5 when I first played it, as well as Dragon Quest XI. I'm going to give those another shot as well with an open-mind.

Heh, I just bought FFXII. Before FFVII: Remake the last FF game I played other than replaying FFVII & FFVIII was X-2.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dell_Zincht posted:

Heh, I just bought FFXII. Before FFVII: Remake the last FF game I played other than replaying FFVII & FFVIII was X-2.

I feel really good being able to enjoy stuff again. Perfect truly is the enemy of good. Imagine not being able to enjoy your old hobby because of depression. Being cynical sucks.

Hopefully you enjoy XII. Did you get the Zodiac version for recent systems?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The last disc of OG FF7 is like, Northern Crater and a big FMV that they had to shove somewhere because it ate so much memory. If the content were evenly spaced, that game would be 2 discs, probably. Like, 66% of that game's content is in the first disc.
If they focus on asset creation and such now that the main systems are developed, I think it's totally possible to make a game that goes to the City of the Ancients by the end of the next part. Then they could do discs 2 and 3 as one game.
If we go with four it will probably be:
Part 2 ends at Nibelheim
Part 3 ends at Seph getting the Black Materia
Part 4 ends at the proper ending

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Himuro posted:

I hated FFXIII so much (it's the only FF from 1-12 that I don't like) that basically didn't buy a single FF until XV - nearly 8 years after XIII came out originally. FFVII Remake touched a part of me that I long lost and I can't believe it was still there all this time.

Dragon Quest XI is wonderful! It takes a bit to get going though because it's like 150 hours long. Once you get Sylvando, the game really picks up.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I could see four total, just so we can catch up to the City of the Ancients before going onto the other two discs.

It's worth pointing out that Nomura has said this first installment being restricted to Midgar isn't a sign that they'll be padding out future releases.

I expect Part 2 to finish at Temple of The Ancients, probably ending as Aerith leaves to go to the Forgotten City as that's a nice cliffhanger of sorts.

Part 3 will begin with Aerith's death early on and be the rest of the game.

From replaying FFVII so many times, apart from the Kalm Flashback (which they can skip entirely and just give us a cutscene of the whole thing) the first disc is actually pretty brief.

Disc 3 of the original game is essentially just the final dungeon.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

gredgie posted:

Kalm to Junon absolutely does not have enough content for them to make it a full game. I get that they expand stuff but in the original game that's the Kalm flashback (they will not make half their game a flashback) and then Chocobo catching and a single cave. Also in the original you could recruit Yuffie here, and they'll probably not change that.

Costa to Cosmo would at least include the Golden Saucer which they could make pretty large, but still.

I do not think that they'll be introducing just one new playable character per game.

Himuro posted:

I hated FFXIII so much (it's the only FF from 1-12 that I don't like)

It does make a lot of sense that 13 would not be your favorite number from 1-12.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 5, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

I feel really good being able to enjoy stuff again. Perfect truly is the enemy of good. Imagine not being able to enjoy your old hobby because of depression. Being cynical sucks.

Hopefully you enjoy XII. Did you get the Zodiac version for recent systems?

No, i've bought a second hand copy for my trusty PS2, I want to play this game old school :)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Beefstew posted:

Dragon Quest XI is wonderful! It takes a bit to get going though because it's like 150 hours long. Once you get Sylvando, the game really picks up.

Jesus Christ, I'm glad I didn't pick that up when I was tempted to.

Edit: lol I just realized that this article is literally talking DQ11.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1058750652518608897?s=20

Dell_Zincht posted:

No, i've bought a second hand copy for my trusty PS2, I want to play this game old school :)

If I had a working PS2 I'd go this route too. Also, FF12 on ps2 supports widescreen! One of the few PS2 games that do.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 5, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Beefstew posted:

I feel like the pacing for a lot of modern jrpgs is horrific. I got Sylvando and it didn't click. I felt it was a massive downgrade from past entries. I'm a massive DQ fan and was heartbroken it was the only DQ I haven't beaten. Same with Persona 5. I waited ten years for that game and was content blocked by a cat for like 20 hours. It was like they turned it from an RPG sim into a visual novel given how on rails the game was. What I hear about P5 Royal makes me want to give it another shot.

I'll give them both another chance.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Himuro posted:

I read this tweet regarding the Ultimania that they're still planning. Could be a cop out to gently caress with people though.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256943001726681088?s=20

I'm going to re-drop some wisdom on game development. That doesn't mean anything. Game development does not happen in a line, or in phases. Likely they're already working on how the characters will play, the big setpiece places like Junon, enemy model design and the like. That stuff, the planning stuff? That's "So will it be open world between areas? Or semi-open? Or Linear?" How far will they go, what will the scope entail? Like... I have a question for people who take this a sign of doom. Do you think everyone else at the company is sitting slackjawed at their desks not doing anything? How do you think game development works, it's not a fan project, where a fan will want to do everything in order, it's like... games aren't made from the start to the finish, movies aren't made linearly, development doesn't work that way. There are even authors who don't write their stories linearly. They'll have an outline and hit chapters in any order.

A reminder that 2-3 years ago, they said they'd only JUST finished scenario, and people were screaming they wouldn't see the game for 5 more years, and what had they been doing the entire time?

So no, they're answering truthfully, it's just if you're not in the industry, truthful sounds real fuckin' frightening.

Now, it still might not be out in two years, but that'll have more to do with the Virus.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Onmi posted:

I'm going to re-drop some wisdom on game development. That doesn't mean anything. Game development does not happen in a line, or in phases. Likely they're already working on how the characters will play, the big setpiece places like Junon, enemy model design and the like. That stuff, the planning stuff? That's "So will it be open world between areas? Or semi-open? Or Linear?" How far will they go, what will the scope entail? Like... I have a question for people who take this a sign of doom. Do you think everyone else at the company is sitting slackjawed at their desks not doing anything? How do you think game development works, it's not a fan project, where a fan will want to do everything in order, it's like... games aren't made from the start to the finish, movies aren't made linearly, development doesn't work that way. There are even authors who don't write their stories linearly. They'll have an outline and hit chapters in any order.

A reminder that 2-3 years ago, they said they'd only JUST finished scenario, and people were screaming they wouldn't see the game for 5 more years, and what had they been doing the entire time?

So no, they're answering truthfully, it's just if you're not in the industry, truthful sounds real fuckin' frightening.

Now, it still might not be out in two years, but that'll have more to do with the Virus.

I don't think they're slackjawed and I think they're likely working beyond the definition of hard. But when you consider that FFVII Remake's director (Nomura) didn't even know he was directing the project until it was revealed and the game changed hands mid-development you don't know what you're going to get. Square Enix has a notorious bad record with FF development times and schedules so it's not like it's an unearned concern.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Dell_Zincht posted:

Don't forget to not loot an arbitrary chest at the start of the game so you can find the best weapon later!

FFXII has its good points but hoo boy did they make some terribly thought out gameplay elements.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Werewolf of London posted:

Try it with AP Up. In hard mode, the Two-people team vs. Slum Outlaws? is the best, and can give around 100 AP per 200 gil. With AP Up it makes for a pretty easy time. Make Aerith the leader, Magic Up, Magnify+Fire, First Strike. That should kill everything in one hit, for all the fights. I spent about 5 hours there to prepare for the later chapters and it paid off really well.

The place I was levelling Materia was the "High Flyers" VR mission; put a First Strike on Cloud, make your opening attack a Triple Slash, and you'll murder a full pack of Bugaboos for 48 AP. Then quit the mission, rechallenge, and do it again. It takes around 60 seconds or so, and imo it works out well because you need 0 other support Materia beyond the First Strike, so you can just fully load both characters with stuff that needs growth.

Sure, it's boring as poo poo, but that's why we invented beer and Discord to chill with your boys.

I will say that before that, I spent a bunch of time levelling up on the hardest Shinra 3-player VR mission, and while it probably wasn't as EFFICIENT as just resetting a one-hit KO, I learned a lot about how to play some of the characters I hadn't used much, so I'm not upset at the time I spent with that one either.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Himuro posted:

I don't think they're slackjawed and I think they're likely working beyond the definition of hard. But when you consider that FFVII Remake's director (Nomura) didn't even know he was directing the project until it was revealed and the game changed hands mid-development you don't know what you're going to get. Square Enix has a notorious bad record with FF development times and schedules so it's not like it's an unearned concern.

He didn't think he was directing the project because he figured the guy who DIRECTED FF7 was directing the project. And yes, there are lots of examples of poo poo going south at Square. But there is a definite difference between "We've tossed out everything done by cyberconnect2 and moved development in-house" and a basic fact of game development, especially sequel development. Of course, they haven't decided on length, who would do that before getting feedback from the first part of the game to see what players are expecting? The benefit of doing the project in pieces means they can afford to sitback and listen to "I hope the next game is more open" or "Please don't just be up to Junon Harbor" Let's say you planned to only go to Junon, say you see a billion players going "God if this doesn't at least go to Temple of the Ancients" Now you know you gotta expand your scope to meet expectations. They'll likely still be in planning until around June/July, depending on how they're working during the pandemic. Then they'll go back into planning around April of next year when the Steam version releases and they get another load of feedback. That planning will be used to temper the progress they've already made.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

HD DAD posted:

Predicting now that Cloud’s mental break and subsequent reconstruction will somehow involve alternate timeline Cloud.

Ugh. I hate alternate timeline poo poo. I feel like it dilutes the characters and character development. It makes characters feel far more disposable. "This doesn't have to be the end of you spending time with your favorite character! You can now just hang out with the alternate timeline version of them!"

exquisite tea posted:

I don't believe anything the developers say in interviews because they're probably full of poo poo and/or already know much more than they're willing to let on.

Oh you sweet summer child.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Giving them the benefit of the doubt on release dates is setting yourself up for disappointment. Better to guess 2025 and be pleasantly surprised when they manage late fall 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Qrr posted:

Kalm to Junon absolutely does not have enough content for them to make it a full game. I get that they expand stuff but in the original game that's the Kalm flashback (they will not make half their game a flashback) and then Chocobo catching and a single cave. Also in the original you could recruit Yuffie here, and they'll probably not change that.

I can't picture them keeping Yuffie as a missable character you just pick up randomly. I assume they will use her introduction to create deeper hooks into the expanded Wutai storyline

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I wish they'd port Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross to PS4. This has put me in the mood for an old-school style RPG but I just can't commit to 150-hour behemoths like Dragon Quest anymore, and I just don't really enjoy gaming on a laptop vs relaxing on my couch.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't picture them keeping Yuffie as a missable character you just pick up randomly. I assume they will use her introduction to create deeper hooks into the expanded Wutai storyline

I still believe the next part will open with Yuffie stealing all your Materia

(you don't get it back when she joins your party because reasons)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Given Yuffie's connections to Wutai and Wutai being much more prominent/relevant in this universe than in the original, there's no way Yuffie is missable.

That's another thing I love about the game: the relationships with the girls. In FFVII original Aerith and Tifa just kind of compete with Cloud. Aerith has her own character but Tifa's only purpose up until Aerith dies is to be jealous of her. But in this they're so supportive of each other and it's so wholesome girl power poo poo. It loving rocks. I can't wait for Yuffie to join up with them and form a trifecta of wholesome girl power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

The problem with the EU was the characterization and they nailed it here, so I'm not worried. Unless we never get more games.

There were a lot more problems with the EU than that. Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus have some absolutely bugfuck stories, and not really in a good way. And then there's the one anime that retconned Cloud flinging Sephiroth off a bridge in Nibelheim as Sephiroth just jumping off on his own.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I wish they'd port Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross to PS4. This has put me in the mood for an old-school style RPG but I just can't commit to 150-hour behemoths like Dragon Quest anymore, and I just don't really enjoy gaming on a laptop vs relaxing on my couch.

Gimme Chrono Cross with upscaled models/backgrounds and I bet it'd look gorgeous. I should really play that again.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 5, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

There were a lot more problems with the EU than that. Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus have some absolutely bugfuck stories, and not really in a good way. And then there's the one anime that retconned Cloud flinging Sephiroth off a bridge in Nibelheim as Sephiroth just jumping off on his own.

To be fair, they did change that silly retcon back in Crisis Core.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Trigger is on steam and it's been updated to be good.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

Trigger is on steam and it's been updated to be good.

Aye, the Android version is pretty decent too.

I play it on my PS1 still.

(Yes, I have a working PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 in my house. I try to play games on the console they were originally intended!)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What do you think the Triangle button gimmicks of the remaining characters could be?

Red XIII: A lot of his limit breaks in the original game were buffs, so maybe they could make that his Triangle ability? Probably inflicting Berserk on him and other skills could improve his next buff.

Cid: Jump maybe? Could be anything really.

Cait Sith: Probably Slots, though I’m not sure how that would work.

Yuffie: I envision her playing like a faster Aerith so a charging attack that throws a giant shuriken(or giant version of her current weapon).

Vincent: His transformations most likely. Probably too strong to be able to use at any time so you’d charge them up by using other skills. Like the original game they’d each specialize in different things(Galian Beast has high HP and uses Fire, Death Gigas has high physical defense and uses Lightning, ect.)

Also for Cait Sith’s weapons I liked a suggestion I saw in one of the threads of making the plushes his weapon so he could have a variety of different ones. Like maybe a Behemoth one for a defensive weapon.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Himuro posted:

Nitpicks aside, this was an incredible game.

The ending was either stupid, ballsy, or genius. I'm personally leaning on genius. I can't stop thinking about it.

This game completely reinvigorated something I lost a decade ago: my FF fandom. Ordered XIV, going to play XIII-2, LR, and Type 0 as well.

More than that, I can't believe I'm excited for something new related to FFVII. What a mind gently caress. The possibilities are endless and it's great.

They did a fantastic job of replicating the feeling of playing FFVII. The ending, for example, reminds me of the pages and pages of FFVII analysis we had on Square forums back in the day, and the constant discussion of the Remake's ending mirrors that. Even while not even being true to the original they're being true to the original. To think they translated the "What happened?" "What happens next?"of the original to the remake is nothing short of incredible. They have remade the experience of playing the original and that should be lauded.

I find it superior to the original in most areas. It feels nice to go back to the game that started it all for me. Funny how the game that made me fall in love with RPGs has single handedly rekindled my passion for them and the series. I went into the remake expecting trash. What I got was a humbling experience. Since playing it I have grown into a more positive and less cynical person. It has taught me to give things a chance and to not be too hard on things. It's fun to learn to enjoy things again.

I was replaying the original before it and I can't articulate how much it bores me now. The remake breathed new life into it and rekindled so many memories. I forgot how much I love FFVII and after playing it so many times its luster dulled. This was the perfect shine the original needed.

Regarding the ending, one thing many are missing is that the original game was already like this. In the games ending it doesn't tell you the fate of the cast at all. You have no idea if you saved humanity or if humanity was killed by the planet. Before the Compilation and Advent Children started, a large part of FFVII discussion was debating this. "What happens next?" "Did humanity die?" "Did humanity live?" was a massive part of FFVII discourse for so long and outlived the games life and kept its discussion relevant even years after its release. Many people were pissed Advent Children even existed because it confirmed that humanity didn't die in the ending, ruining their personal ending theory. The original ending was tailor made to get the fanbase talking. Somehow, some way they've managed to replicate this in the Remakes ending, which as a feat is nothing short of amazing. Even by not being true to the original in the part 1 of the Remake's ending they're being true to the original by creating an ending that gets people talking about its implications. In that way, it's a move that may not even be ballsy but genius in that they managed to some how replicate the experience of playing FFVII all over again, down to the controversial ending with varying opinions. Incredible.

When the original came out many shat on the ending because of lack of closure. It doesn't answer poo poo. It was very controversial and spurred discussion. Everyone had their own opinion on it. If you came to FFVII after the Advent Children came out or even with Advent Children, or like Dunkey, played it for the first time within the last few years, you didn't experience of any of this. Emphasis on experience - you did not fully experience FFVII in full with the discussions and analysis that came with it. I'm telling you right now that the discussions happening now about FF7 Remake's ending are exactly what we were discussing about the original.

The fact they managed to do this with a remake of a 23 year old game is beyond stunning. This game has the ghost of my FF fandom knocking on my hearts door. I loving love it.

By far one of the most emotional game experiences I've ever had. I really loved this remake and I'm full on board with whatever comes next.

I read they haven't even gotten out of the planning stages for Part 2 and it makes me want to die.

Good post good review.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yuffie should have some stealth ability.

Vincent gets pistol skill shots

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A stealth ability to drop aggro could be interesting. It’d need a cool down to not be super broken though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

To be fair, they did change that silly retcon back in Crisis Core.

Ah, I got the order of release mixed up on those. Good.