Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

Ah, I got the order of release mixed up on those. Good.

They even apologised to the fans for doing it in the first place, which was pretty cool, considering it was a bonus Anime bundled with the deluxe version of Advent Children (at least, that's how I own it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Another thing that comes up in the post-Midgar sections is how often they go "Let's split up, only exactly three people can go here," I wonder how that's going to play out with a lot of these situations

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Qrr posted:

Kalm to Junon absolutely does not have enough content for them to make it a full game. I get that they expand stuff but in the original game that's the Kalm flashback (they will not make half their game a flashback) and then Chocobo catching and a single cave. Also in the original you could recruit Yuffie here, and they'll probably not change that.

Costa to Cosmo would at least include the Golden Saucer which they could make pretty large, but still.

I do not think that they'll be introducing just one new playable character per game.

It does make a lot of sense that 13 would not be your favorite number from 1-12.

My guess would be that part 2 opens with the Kalm flashback and ends with Nibelheim. It's just poetic to both start and finish part 2 with Nibelheim.

I mean it doesn't have to be; they could massively inflate Gold Saucer into its own Midgar-esque arc or something, but it's what I'd put my money on if I were betting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another thing that comes up in the post-Midgar sections is how often they go "Let's split up, only exactly three people can go here," I wonder how that's going to play out with a lot of these situations

Yeah I wonder how they’ll deal with having more than 3 playable characters. My worry if they let us change out party members is that dialogue between characters will suffer because they can’t know who you’ll choose for a mission. They’d have to make generic dialogue that works with any party combination. They could have all the characters there in cutscenes but there’s lot of in battle dialogue. I suppose they could have the characters not in your party fighting as guests but that’d get really messy when you have the full 9 characters.

But the game constantly forcing you into specific party compositions would also be bad so I dunno.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Red XIII will be a Regen Tank, his abilities will all either place regeneration upon him, or recover some HP. His triangle button will be his Howl, which will be an AoE burst that can juggle popped up enemies, and give him Berserk

Yuffie will be a distance fighter with a Ninjutsu level in contrast to Tifa's Chi level, her Ninjutsu levels will allow her to throw out different attacks with her Triangle Attacks, and alter her abilities. However, she won't build the Stagger %, instead, she'll have elemental abilities without needing to use Elemental or magic.

Cait Sith will be a mix of a Bard and a Puppet Master. He'll take on the same concept as Aerith's wards, but they'll be centered on Cait, who can move. His offensive abilities will be summoning like, toy soldiers who charge in and occupy the enemy. His Triangle will be a ground pound that can pop-up pressured enemies, and stun grounded ones.

Vincent will swap between his damaging gun attacks and his quick, stagger-building monster attacks. I don't think we'll get more than Gallian Beast, by Vincent will be able to shift at will, changing his powerful ranged damage to quick, less damaging, but far better for building stagger claws and charges. It'll be like going to Anti-Form/Rage Form with Sora.

Cid will obviously have his Triangle be Jump, but, I think more to the point, you will be able to jump while in mid air, So hitting Triangle will launch Cid, and then hitting Square, and Cid will air step while generating a hitbox, It'll kinda be like punisher mode, in that it will be a mode change for Cid, hitting Triangle again will bring the jump down in a heavy stab.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dell_Zincht posted:

They even apologised to the fans for doing it in the first place, which was pretty cool, considering it was a bonus Anime bundled with the deluxe version of Advent Children (at least, that's how I own it.)

I have such a vivid memory of seeing that specific scene at an anime con when I first went to college. It was playing on a CRT in a dealer's room and I stopped to look, and I had a vague understanding that this was from FFVII because Sephiroth was there, and he was the Final Fantasy Anime Bad Man With a Sword. The only Final Fantasy related thing I had gotten to play up til that point was Tactics Advance, and then Kingdom Hearts. And then I saw Advent Children at anime club, because all my friends were really excited about it and they did not know that I haven't played the original.

It is such a delight to get to play both the original and the remake and talk about it now that I'm able too and have context to everything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The one postgame thing I really wish the game had was a boss select option. I want to do fun stuff like no-magic boss runs but the idea of having to do a dozen hours of walking through corridors (a third time) to get to them is awful.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I have such a vivid memory of seeing that specific scene at an anime con when I first went to college. It was playing on a CRT in a dealer's room and I stopped to look, and I had a vague understanding that this was from FFVII because Sephiroth was there, and he was the Final Fantasy Anime Bad Man With a Sword. The only Final Fantasy related thing I had gotten to play up til that point was Tactics Advance, and then Kingdom Hearts. And then I saw Advent Children at anime club, because all my friends were really excited about it and they did not know that I haven't played the original.

It is such a delight to get to play both the original and the remake and talk about it now that I'm able too and have context to everything.

I still don't get the hate for Advent Children. Personally I think it's a solid movie with great action sequences and the characterization for the most part makes perfect sense. I'm glad that Square Enix have said it's the final sequence in the Compilation, although we'll see about that after all parts of the remake are done, I guess.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samuOjpQRwM

Part 2 leaked footage

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 5, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Oh I didn't hate watching it at the time at all, I was just very confused about everything.

Apparently the complete version added a bunch of stuff, so maybe I should take I look again now I know what the gently caress is happening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if they could go full FFX with it and let you swap out party members during combat, maybe make it something that costs an ATB bar to do. Then they could do away with the "we should split up but we're all going the same way and also we can call each other on the PHS to switch around" artifice and just have everyone traveling together.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

I wonder if they could go full FFX with it and let you swap out party members during combat, maybe make it something that costs an ATB bar to do. Then they could do away with the "we should split up but we're all going the same way and also we can call each other on the PHS to switch around" artifice and just have everyone traveling together.

Barret's line in the original always gets me.

"'Sides, we can't have 5 people strolling down the fields. It's too dangerous."

DUDE WTF ONE OF YOU HAS A MASSIVE FUCKOFF SWORD AND YOU YOURSELF HAVE A loving MACHINE GUN FOR AN ARM, YOU'LL BE FINE

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly, if it were up to me? Just have a full party. Go full Vox Machina with this stuff, 7-8 man parties in battle. There's relatively few cases where you'd just be swarming a single man-sized target and those can be easily made to split the party up.

I mean Red's already a 4th assist character during the Drum, and all they seem to do is make bigger packs to compensate. Embrace it. I don't see any essential reason to stick to 3 people.

That, or they'll probably have the parties traveling and controlled separately. They've already been pretty good at switching up the current point-of-view character.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think they might consider having 3 character present in combat but everyone there in cutscenes, just so we can maximize dialogue and banter and such. Where were they during the fight? Who cares!

Dell_Zincht posted:

To be fair, they did change that silly retcon back in Crisis Core.

They did? Thank Christ. Cloud loving killing Sephiroth by yeeting him with his own sword is the sickest poo poo in the game. My buddy and I got to that part in our horrible, awful "radio drama" playthrough that we've been doing, and it was so hype: https://www.twitch.tv/avengerstar/clip/HonestCoweringTeaPeteZarollTie

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was one of the funner bits of the original game, that whatever group you didn't pick just went off and did their own thing. If you ditched Tifa and Aerith en route to Gold Saucer, they'd both turn up on the road to Corel like "Oh there you are"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beefstew posted:

They did? Thank Christ. Cloud loving killing Sephiroth by yeeting him with his own sword is the sickest poo poo in the game. My buddy and I got to that part in our horrible, awful "radio drama" playthrough that we've been doing, and it was so hype: https://www.twitch.tv/avengerstar/clip/HonestCoweringTeaPeteZarollTie

I love that part so much because it's actually more badass than what Cloud previously thought had happened. Like it'd be cool enough if he dueled Sephiroth SOLDIER to SOLDIER and lived, yeah, but the fact that Cloud, as a totally normal person with no mako/Jenova augmentation at all, managed to both injure and then overpower Sephiroth--the second one while impaled on Sephiroth's sword--is insanely cool.

You don't gently caress with the people Cloud cares about.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dude, bro, spoiler that poo poo!

I watched it three times and was howling the whole time, my abs hurt lmao

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

I love that part so much because it's actually more badass than what Cloud previously thought had happened. Like it'd be cool enough if he dueled Sephiroth SOLDIER to SOLDIER and lived, yeah, but the fact that Cloud, as a totally normal person with no mako/Jenova augmentation at all, managed to both injure and then overpower Sephiroth--the second one while impaled on Sephiroth's sword--is insanely cool.

You don't gently caress with the people Cloud cares about.

It really is a pretty great moment, but on the other hand it always kinda bothered me that Sephiroth was too much of a numb nuts to let go of his drat sword. But on the Jenova cell induced third hand, I could totally see his big dramatic ego not wanting to back down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Caidin posted:

It really is a pretty great moment, but on the other hand it always kinda bothered me that Sephiroth was too much of a numb nuts to let go of his drat sword. But on the Jenova cell induced third hand, I could totally see his big dramatic ego not wanting to back down.

It definitely looks siller in Crisis Core when you can see it all with cinematic camera angles and stuff.

Maybe if they show Sephiroth trying to push back or something they can sell it better in the Remake? Or just make it happen a lot faster, like Cloud just flings him before he has a chance to let go.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beefstew posted:

I think they might consider having 3 character present in combat but everyone there in cutscenes, just so we can maximize dialogue and banter and such. Where were they during the fight? Who cares!

Do what Persona 5 Royal did and have the whole party go everywhere, you pick 3 party members to start with, but you can change them up at any time and/or tag them in or out. Just make it cost 2 ATB bars or something.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

It definitely looks siller in Crisis Core when you can see it all with cinematic camera angles and stuff.

Maybe if they show Sephiroth trying to push back or something they can sell it better in the Remake? Or just make it happen a lot faster, like Cloud just flings him before he has a chance to let go.

I always took Sephiroth's inability to just let go of his sword as him being completely dumbfounded by the fact that the lowly Shinra grunt he just stabbed could be strong enough to lift him into the air.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Codependent Poster posted:

Do what Persona 5 Royal did and have the whole party go everywhere, you pick 3 party members to start with, but you can change them up at any time and/or tag them in or out. Just make it cost 2 ATB bars or something.

let me repeat once again: tag combo attacks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:hmmyes:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tifa punches someone and they turn around into Aerith, who somehow has a never ending supply of chairs with her at all times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I posted this in the GBS FF7R thread already but I hope next time they just give bosses multiple health bars instead of making them go invulnerable without warning right after you've staggered them and lined up a bunch of abilities or limit breaks. Or just put markers on their health bar or have layered multicolored bars or whatever. It "spoils" that there are multiple phases but I'd rather have that than the frustration of seeing a boss go invulnerable right as you've gotten ready to lay down a bunch of damage. At least you'd know it's coming.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Caidin posted:

Plus, the utter shock and audacity of what he was seeing.

edit: Like, we can SEE how big Sephiroth is compared to Cloud in the remake and Cloud still went and did that while skewered. loving iconic moment.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 5, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

I posted this in the GBS FF7R thread already but I hope next time they just give bosses multiple health bars instead of making them go invulnerable without warning right after you've staggered them and lined up a bunch of abilities or limit breaks. Or just put markers on their health bar or have layered multicolored bars or whatever. It "spoils" that there are multiple phases but I'd rather have that than the frustration of seeing a boss go invulnerable right as you've gotten ready to lay down a bunch of damage. At least you'd know it's coming.

It's weird because they definitely added the "no damage between phases" between the demo build and the main game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

It's weird because they definitely added the "no damage between phases" between the demo build and the main game.

Yeah, and I think the thing that makes it so annoying is that it comes without warning. I can understand them not wanting to let players skip phases (even if there's some merit to that and it can be a cool reward if you're doing enough damage), but the next best thing would be to just let us know when on the HP bar the next phase is coming.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do what Xenoblade 2 Torna DLC did

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Onmi posted:

Presumably they didn't want people staggering a boss in phase 1 and then just utterly wrecking it before it could get into the later phases at all.

But they picked a really unsatisfying way to do it, and made stagger feel like an irrelevant mechanic on a lot of boss fights.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dell_Zincht posted:

I always took Sephiroth's inability to just let go of his sword as him being completely dumbfounded by the fact that the lowly Shinra grunt he just stabbed could be strong enough to lift him into the air.

Half this and half that he was near death from being stabbed in the loving spine.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

I was staggering the elevator boss and then it changed phases and I had to start all over and I was so pissed.

Just make boss fights shorter in general.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beefstew posted:

I would be 100% down for party members not currently in combat just bantering with you. I don't even care if it doesn't make sense.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Just give everyone radio headsets so even people not in your active party can chime in with dialog. That way your whole team can chat and interact without having to make a million permutations of dialog based on who you currently have in your party.

Or just have your non-active members be heads in floating bubbles that follow you around at all times. With no explanation.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Just thought on this, but if the next game doesn't get to Saucer, and hell, even if it does, I can see Fort Condor being the new battle arena. I was joking that the mini-game would either be a phone-based mini-game, OR, Dynasty-Warrior style fights.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would be 100% down for party members not currently in combat just bantering with you. I don't even care if it doesn't make sense.

Have them in the background cheering you on. That won't make sense either but what the hell!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Have them in the background cheering you on. That won't make sense either but what the hell!

There will be random bleachers in the background of every battle that they'll cheer from.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Why is no one considering the option of having EVERY party member on the fight. And Jessie, Biggs and Wedge. And Rufus. Let it all be a chaotic :hellyeah: mess!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If they can have more than 3 party members in combat, then the big multi-stage boss fights from later in the original game should be feasible, and pretty amazing spectacles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lezard_valeth posted:

Why is no one considering the option of having EVERY party member on the fight. And Jessie, Biggs and Wedge. And Rufus. Let it all be a chaotic :hellyeah: mess!

To be honest I'm not sure the engine can even handle that. That's one reason I'm anticipating the PC version so modders can push the game to its limits.