Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Urcher posted:

I do. Word cloud for April:

i can't see backflipped in there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

JBP posted:

This exact conversation has been had. You're trying to talk down someone who just wants to complain that life isn't fair.

You're right. It isn't fair that I have a disabled child at home, who is experiencing significant educational delays that he will never recover from. I want to know when schools will open so I can make sure that he is getting the best education possible. This isn't unreasonable. For you to dismiss that is pretty loving awful.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hook line and sinker

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't want a date.

I want a guideline. This isn't hard.

"We want two weeks of zero cases before schools open."

Wonderful!

The Government will already have a guideline they haven't announced. They should simply make it public.

no, you're not really being fair.

he said something solid and then had to change it and you accused him multiple times of back flipping.

so now he won't commit to something solid because he can't commit to something solid and you're still not happy.

i think you just need to admit you're not happy with the situation and the government is the only target you've got. it doesn't matter what they do or don't do, you'll gripe about it. yeah sure be frustrated at the situation, sounds like you have reason to. but really none of us agree with you on about it.

if he gives you a plan and reneges, you'll gripe. if he gives you a plan and we go back early and you or your kid get sick, you'll gripe. if he doesn't give you a plan, you'll gripe.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's about time someone took a stand and said "what about me, personally"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mods please change name to CelestialGripe.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hambeet posted:

if he gives you a plan and reneges, you'll gripe. if he gives you a plan and we go back early and you or your kid get sick, you'll gripe. if he doesn't give you a plan, you'll gripe.

:emptyquote:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

This situation sucks, no doubt about it, but it will suck varyingly for each person based on their circumstance. Unfortunately we have to tailor a single solution or suite of solutions to fit the population as a whole, and it's complicated by a sector of the population's unrelenting demand for certainty. By now the politicians including Dandrews have seen what damage that verbal guarantees of certainty can do so they won't do it until they're absolutely sure they can.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't want a date.

I want a guideline. This isn't hard.

"We want two weeks of zero cases before schools open."

I'd hate to feel a bit sick a week after the last known case, worrying about getting tested in case it comes back positive and I get "anonymous" coverage on the front page of the Herald Sun after inconveniencing tens or hundreds of thousands of people.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Did CS smash their TV on the weekend?

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
My wife's been referred for COVID testing today, in WA. Had a phone consult with a doctor yesterday who said "you need to go get tested, I will sort out a referral".

welp

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mattjpwns posted:

My wife's been referred for COVID testing today, in WA. Had a phone consult with a doctor yesterday who said "you need to go get tested, I will sort out a referral".

welp

What/where would her exposure have come from?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mattjpwns posted:

welp

:ohdear: fingers crossed, best of luck

Regarding saying "we'll re-open when we have a vaccine" there's no guarantee there will be an effective vaccine. All hopes that we'll get one, but that could take years as well.

If you say today that we'll reopen when there's a vaccine and the vaccine never comes you've shot yourself in the foot.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mattjpwns posted:

welp

You need a referral? Here in Victoria you just go local shopping centre or some Bunnings stores. My health insurer just texted me and told me to get tested. Which reminds me, I need to change or dump private health insurance.

Also, my test was negative. Took 3 days for results and I think if you do the drive by testing it’s down to 2 days now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Comstar posted:

You need a referral? Here in Victoria you just go local shopping centre or some Bunnings stores. My health insurer just texted me and told me to get tested. Which reminds me, I need to change or dump private health insurance.

Also, my test was negative. Took 3 days for results and I think if you do the drive by testing it’s down to 2 days now.

Good stuff. Must be a relief.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My partner thankfully got her two negatives in a row so she’s able to go be an emergency nurse again. Which means we’ll probably find out if you can get Covid twice or not. :v:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Getting tested on Friday, keen to have my internet fried brain scraped!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Holy gently caress some of the questions from this Scomo presser.
"Mr Prime Minister, when the Victorian government has been overthrown by the IPA how will you execute Dandrews?"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Quantum Shart posted:

Holy gently caress some of the questions from this Scomo presser.
"Mr Prime Minister, when the Victorian government has been overthrown by the IPA how will you execute Dandrews?"

i walked past my wife watching it, and asked what's he saying. she said 'i don't know'.

his messaging is something awful.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

There was a question from someone who sounded like PvO which was almost verbatim "my friend just lost their job, why is it Dandrews fault and how can you force him to relent?" just ghoulish bullshit

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hambeet posted:

i walked past my wife watching it, and asked what's he saying. she said 'i don't know'.

his messaging is something awful.

I watched the Jacinda Ardern press conference after the National Cabinet meeting today out of interest, and the quality and clarity of her messaging and answers to questions couldn't be a starker contrast to Morrison.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Senor Tron posted:

I watched the Jacinda Ardern press conference after the National Cabinet meeting today out of interest, and the quality and clarity of her messaging and answers to questions couldn't be a starker contrast to Morrison.
This is what you get when you get Dopey Dad for PM.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Not to mention both our major parties have a preselection track that only selects awful people.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is what you get when you get Dopey Dad from marketing for PM.

fixed

Advertising execs are way too used to speaking in bullshit nonsensical terms and are used to people just accepting it because fuckem they are from marketing and they talk bullshit.

Scotty hasnt quite figured out that running a country means you need a different method of communication.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

fixed

Advertising execs are way too used to speaking in bullshit nonsensical terms and are used to people just accepting it because fuckem they are from marketing and they talk bullshit.

Scotty hasnt quite figured out that running a country means you need a different method of communication.

Too bad the voters don't realise either.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How long until we start getting news stories about how working from home is actually bad for you?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So ACT has a Chief Minister for poooooooooo ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Minister_of_the_Australian_Capital_Territory

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Australians demands to know if it is or is not poooooo, and I'm glad to hear that at list one state has shown it takes that question seriously. :colbert:

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

It might be a bit early to think about but I wonder if all the states that have effectively eliminated Covid will open borders to each other soon.

Its going to be an awkward situation if everybody but Vic and NSW eliminates it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

making a political compass with that in one corner and this in the other
https://twitter.com/BernardKeane/status/1257521957433720834

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the app makes an antiviral force field around me I might install it. If vaccines start have tracking nanobots in them then I might stop getting them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's an app that does nothing, Jerry!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
There are going to be some astronomically bad takes in the coming.... probably years if I'm being honest.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

just going to make up ideological positions that I can tilt at. Solutionism. Anti-determinism. Aspirational Resolutionism. Purpose-centric Decidology.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Zenithe posted:

There are going to be some astronomically bad takes in the coming.... probably years if I'm being honest.

this pod was just a month ago and it's already ancient
https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/news-brief-top-10-worst-covid-crisis-takes-so-far

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Quantum Shart posted:

making a political compass with that in one corner and this in the other
https://twitter.com/BernardKeane/status/1257521957433720834

I read a book by Bernard Keane (The Mess We're In) that was an interesting look at the devolution of the current state of politics then took a massive derail into "don't ever install anything on your phone or log into anything on your computers or they will have your data forever" for a chapter or two.

He can be a little obsessed with personal security.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo:

HOLY poo poo IT'S AN AUSPOL MAFIA GAME

Click to JOIN

:itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo::itwaspoo:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

Distinguishing it totally from pre-COVID times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

bobvonunheil posted:

I read a book by Bernard Keane (The Mess We're In) that was an interesting look at the devolution of the current state of politics then took a massive derail into "don't ever install anything on your phone or log into anything on your computers or they will have your data forever" for a chapter or two.

He can be a little obsessed with personal security.

Is Keane also the massive Assangeophile