Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, and the same goes for the nacelles. The more rounded nacelles look like something out of JJ Trek and don't really fit with the design theme they have going on here, the squared off nacelles fit the design language better. It's just a weird effect.

And you have to laugh about why a ship would need such giant impulse engines when the D had just the one.

This all started with the Sovereign's more = better than, glowier and greeblierer trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

??? a reference to what?

To 3D printers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

To 3D printers.

That's dumb as poo poo though

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Trek: That's dumb as poo poo though

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Next season they'll have a stunt man fall on an obvious stunt mat as a reference to stunt mats. Maybe we can get an Easter egg referencing boom mics.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

why did the robots blow up mars?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I bet someone bought those 3D printers so they could ‘borrow’ them off the set when filming ended.

This is exactly what I was thinking

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Abalone Malone posted:

why did the robots blow up mars?

They didn't.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's dumb as poo poo though

Yes it is.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

bull3964 posted:

They didn't.

who did?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

I was reading an article about how the Enterprise-D was designed a couple of days ago, and what stood out was how determined Probert was to have the ship be smooth and flowing and curved, with hardly a straight line on it.

Specifically, the idea was that the TOS Enterpise was very geometric, made of straight lines and circles. So to show the more evolved version he started by transforming anything that was a circle into an oval (saucer, nacelles, engineering hull front-on) and anything that was a straight line into a curve (pylons, neck, length of the hull). All simplicity becoming the complex equivalent.

quote:

(It was a huge pain for ILM to build, but Probert and the producers were adamant that they stick exactly to the design rather than their usual MO of treating whatever they were given as a starting point.)

And it shows that when the time came for the not-as-good-as-ILM inhouse model shop to build the four-footer they couldn't pull the curves off as well, it was just too hard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 5, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

The ship appears to be based on an old concept sketch by Eaves that was passed over by STO.

And this came up in the other thread, but STO did do a ship based on that concept art years ago, too.

Here's the show version:

STO take on it:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

And this came up in the other thread, but STO did do a ship based on that concept art years ago, too.

Here's the show version:

STO take on it:

Now that's a ship that deserves to be hauled away as garbage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Hollywood really sounds like it sucks from hearing Wang's audition process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

False flag operation by the Romulans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

False flag operation by the Romulans
Yes although they somehow do this but can’t do it to the other Synths for *reasons*

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes although they somehow do this but can’t do it to the other Synths for *reasons*

Those reasons being:

- They had an agent inside Starfleet, so sabotaging Starfleet equipment was fairly easy, whereas they didn't even know where the synth colony was, let alone how to infiltrate it.

- The Mars synths were very primitive, probably non-sapient, whereas the colony synths were just as sophisticated as Data and not just automatons that could be reprogrammed.

I mean, come on people. At least try and look like you were paying attention. You're reaching CinemaSins levels.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What's a synth?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CPColin posted:

What's a synth?
The new name that the Picard Show uses for synthetic life forms like Data

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Saves TV time by using 1 syllable instead of 2 like “android.”

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The new name that the Picard Show uses for synthetic life forms like Data

What's a Picard?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CPColin posted:

What's a Picard?

Well funny you ask that...because.......synth.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So wait.

They're all astronauts, on some sort of star-trek?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Here's the show version:

STO take on it:

I'm getting a little tired of ship concepts doing away with so many of the shapes that make the ships. Shortening the neck, unsaucering the saucer, flattening the dorsal engineering hull, complicating the nacelles and, as everyone has stated, breaking up the smoothness of the surface with thingies.

I would love to see designs that celebrate the aspects of TOS-TNG era ships more. Circle saucers, long necks, cylinder hull, cigar nacelles.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CPColin posted:

So wait.

They're all astronauts, on some sort of star-trek?

Is a Star-Trek like a wagon train to the stars?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Saves TV time by using 1 syllable instead of 2 like “android.”

A lot of the Picard ones aren't really androids, though, they're biological bodies grown in a vat with positronic minds. Skinjobs from Galactica, basically.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 5, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That is what the word android means, yes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

What's a Picard?

Not a Picard, heathen. THE Picard

____________________/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

Is a Star-Trek like a wagon train to the stars?

You're thinking of the Star Wars Trek, we're discussing the Star Trek Wars

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

A lot of the Picard ones aren't really androids, though, they're biological bodies grown in a vat with positronic minds. Skinjobs from Galactica, basically.

Reverse Borgs is all I'm hearing here

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress is Poq card

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Who the gently caress is Poq card

my 3rd-grade English teacher couldn't understand that Pogs and Magic: The Gathering were 2 different hobbies with a nearly-circular Venn overlap, so she called both games Pog Cards. Dunno why the showrunners would make the same mistake, though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I... I wasn't really expecting an answer there, that's surprisingly great though thanks

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I'm getting a little tired of ship concepts doing away with so many of the shapes that make the ships. Shortening the neck, unsaucering the saucer, flattening the dorsal engineering hull, complicating the nacelles and, as everyone has stated, breaking up the smoothness of the surface with thingies.

I would love to see designs that celebrate the aspects of TOS-TNG era ships more. Circle saucers, long necks, cylinder hull, cigar nacelles.

STO is pretty heinous about this. The overwhelming majority of endgame Federation ships have basically the same flat profile.

And then there's stuff like this:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

my 3rd-grade English teacher couldn't understand that Pogs and Magic: The Gathering were 2 different hobbies with a nearly-circular Venn overlap, so she called both games Pog Cards. Dunno why the showrunners would make the same mistake, though.

That's fantastic

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roadie posted:

STO is pretty heinous about this. The overwhelming majority of endgame Federation ships have basically the same flat profile.

That's actually a modernisation of a disco ship, you can pin the aesthetic detailing on STO but the general design is all disco's fault. Ergo the gap in the saucer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 5, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Roadie posted:

OK that may be the worst one I've seen from STO, wow

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That's actually a modernisation of a disco ship, you can pin the aesthetic detailing on STO but the general design is all disco's fault.

Yeah, I think that with most Disco ships they include an alternate "2410" skin to fit in more with STO's post Nemesis designs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Roadie posted:

The mutant offspring of Disco and an Oberth. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MikeJF posted:

That's actually a modernisation of a disco ship, you can pin the aesthetic detailing on STO but the general design is all disco's fault. Ergo the gap in the saucer.

Check out this one, then:

Or this: