Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Buy a used bike and needed, have it fixed up or use your house arrest time to learn to do it yourself

If you live in reasonably flat country, some stolen Dutch beater from 1923 will do fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Wanna sit on my Gepäckträger? :wink:

:ughh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My Lovely Horse posted:

eines Tages werd ich mich rächen...

:lol:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

eines Tages werd ich mich rächen...

totally missed this somehow, thanks for assuming I'll be beat up by a karate black belt become a star some day :v:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Why would a person spend more than 500€ on a bike if you are not a sports enthusiast/profi of some kind?

Edit: I'm looking for an answer other than "Germans lol"

Cause if you ride it 20 km everyday you want it to be comfortable, want it to last, and don't want it to be built badly with large amount of extra friction/effort required. Pretty sure 500-1000 is the typical range for non electric non mountain bikes.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Why would a person spend more than 500€ on a bike if you are not a sports enthusiast/profi of some kind?

Edit: I'm looking for an answer other than "Germans lol"

Wegwerfbares Einkommen

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

by the by (and this has nothing to do with bikes, I'm sorry) I just watched this documentary accompanying an 1. FC Union Berlin fan club during the 87/88 season and it's a really interesing look at football culture during the waning days of real existierender Sozialismus, can only recommend!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ika posted:

Cause if you ride it 20 km everyday you want it to be comfortable, want it to last, and don't want it to be built badly with large amount of extra friction/effort required. Pretty sure 500-1000 is the typical range for non electric non mountain bikes.

lol you don't need a 1000 euro bike for this ffs

back in Holland everyone rides cheap as hell bikes everywhere. if you want to spend money on a bike for some reason go for it, but it's 90% marketing and not actually more comfortable unless you want an actual racing bike to ride 100+ km tours or a mountain bike for the mountains.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:hmbol:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Nah it's my wegwerfbares Einkommmen and my being German alright. Also the fact that I don't spend money on Ketamin or other way more useful things and therefore have mountains of it to waste.

I mean a bike is a bike right? Same as we all agree you can just use a sub 200€ Aldi notebook for gaming instead of spending more than that on a grfx card alone.

Coincidentally, that is also why every single person who owns a car has a cheap Japanese car with Minimalaustattung. It just doesn't make sense to pay more than the bare minimum for whatever you buy, irregardless of any individual requirements or expectations that may come into it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Exactly. Why sleep on an expensive Bettgestell? Just lay that mattress you found on the street in the middle of the room and have some ketamine.

My last bike was a piece of junk which was way to low for my back and using it for more than an hour actually hurt. Also the brakes were based on some obscure DDR technology, which did not have any replacement parts.
A good bike is a great investment.

Die AFD waren was?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

New bikes are p nice. Got my first and so far only new bike for 399 six years ago and it was def worth it, everything works, smooth riding etc.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

cant cook creole bream posted:

Exactly. Why sleep on an expensive Bettgestell? Just lay that mattress you found on the street in the middle of the room and have some bedbugs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Duh, that's why you take the ketamine.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
this thread delivers the most, I feel, when a bunch of nerds in Funktionsjacke use "Ketamine" in the same way my grandmother might talk about heroine lol

"oh... oh yeah...? well.. maybe you, you should become HOMELESS and lie on a DIRTY MATTRESS because you sold all your belongings to buy KETAMINE to get HIGH!! yeah what about THAT!!"

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

KonvexKonkav posted:

To be honest, wasn't and it still isn't clear to me what exactly you're proposing. I mean, if you're defending Boris Palmer, I'm of course inclined to believe that you're in favour of more Lockerungen and not less! And to an extent, we're already doing something like "Lockerungen differenzieren" by keeping Altenheime closed but sending (some) kids back to school. The problem is that it's not practically feasible to just isolate everyone who might be at risk and leave the rest be, because we

A) can't tell for sure who's at risk
B) can't really prevent spreading if people with Vorerkrankungen live with people who are not at risk (unless you just isolate the whole household which kind of defeats the point)
C) don't know about long-term effects of getting the 'rona which might be dangerous even for "healthy" people.

Yeah I'm not agreeing with "let the young ones roam free and lock the olds up". The numbers don't work out that way.

Strategy wise I'd have kept things strictly locked down a bit longer and then contact tracing.

I guess I'm saying it's not inherently immoral to say that we are disproportionally affected by the virus and that schering everyone over the same kamm is not the only way to go. And that Lanz' pearl clutching pissed me off.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw, today was the first day of restarted Präsenzunterricht at our school, so I was happy to go back to work and inspire and engage those eager young minds

weeks of 20h workdays for our Schulleitung to get everything organized according to the corona requirements. small classes in different rooms, desinfection, rolling schedules, everything meticulously planned to avoid contact. masks ready for everyone.

as i rolled up to the school, half of the kids were hanging around outside the school gates hugging and on top of each other lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
n/t

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I‘m full on :dehumanize: and waiting to see how the next few weeks pan out. Either this kicks into full gear*2 again or it’s miraculously gone and all those people meditating for the Grundgesetz or dancing the virus away were right. The fact that Easter didn’t bring any significant increase voices me zuversichtlich.

Either way, I really hope the Green‘s policy of turning every side street into a Spielstraße and every third Spur into a Fahrradstreifen while nobody’s looking takes hold and brings about the Mobilitätswende though.

That’s my Wort zum Montag, thank you.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
How exactly does "small classes" work in practice. I thought there weren't enough teachers as is and now they split 4 classes of 30 into 8 classes of 15 and pretend they have a teacher for each? And a room for each class on top of that while still utilising the old rear end freight-container makeshift school-house expansions they planted down "temporarily" but have to use for 15 years to get the subsidies?

I can only assume Pisa results will be great next year.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I‘m guessing lots of homework and only having to go to school like once or twice a week for a while. Like homeschooling redux.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

System Metternich posted:

by the by (and this has nothing to do with bikes, I'm sorry) I just watched this documentary accompanying an 1. FC Union Berlin fan club during the 87/88 season and it's a really interesing look at football culture during the waning days of real existierender Sozialismus, can only recommend!

Oh man, so much denim. Also just casually having a big 'white power' flag on the fence, no biggie. The 80s and early 90s were such a weird time.

I'm wondering why a bunch of these guys have big HSV and Hertha patches on their outfits in particular. I get that supporting teams in the west was kind of a fashion but why pick these clubs.

Lok fans confirmed the worst too, no surprise there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ika posted:

Sounds absolutely right. My bike cost around 490 € when I bought it in 2016 and it works wonderfully. The only thing I don't like is the Bremsköpfe. Thanks to me biking every day part of the way to work (or sometimes during Summer, the entire way if the weather is great and I'm well rested), the Bremsköpfe need an exchange at least once per year.

For some reason I'm always super-annoyed when the Köpfe have been worn down enough. It always takes at least 2-3 near death situations on the streets before I can bring myself to go and just do the repairs. :sigh:

Rust has also been somewhat of a problem, but I've kept it down so far by applying lots of WD40 a couple times a year. Oh, and the Reifen have similar wear-and-tear problems. But I generally tend to rip them open at least once a year on some well-placed Glasscherben, so I tend to get new ones before the old ones are bad enough to cost trouble. Most of the time. 2018 I hurt my right knee bad enough some oddly placed Sehne got ripped, causing lots of medical trouble, but since then I always make sure the Reifenprofil is not too worn down!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
our classes now have a maximum of 8 students in a classroom, so a class formerly of 24 students would be split into 3 groups A,B,C

1st period:
A: English
B: Math
C: German

2nd period:
A: Math
B: German
C: English

3rd period:
A: German
B: English
C: Math

etc.

The whole system relies on the ~goodwill~ of the teachers to teach the same period 3 times consecutively. Of course we don't have unlimited classrooms so the students are actually just coming in for the core subjects, the rest is still done via online learning. BUT since this means you need 3 periods for everything that formerly took 1 period, they can actually only do 1 period for every 3 periods per subjects, which mean they come in to do just 1 period per core subject per week, because that is all that is possible with the available teachers, time and space now that grades 9,10,11,12 all need to have Präsenzunterricht according to the senate, PLUS the Abitur exams need to happen.

So, the result of all this stress is that grades 9,10,11,12 now can have 1 (one) period per week of math, german and English (and in our case spanish/french) in school.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Libluini posted:

The only thing I don't like is the Bremsköpfe. Thanks to me biking every day part of the way to work (or sometimes during Summer, the entire way if the weather is great and I'm well rested), the Bremsköpfe need an exchange at least once per year.

For some reason I'm always super-annoyed when the Köpfe have been worn down enough. It always takes at least 2-3 near death situations on the streets before I can bring myself to go and just do the repairs. :sigh:

OP have you considered that maybe Wer bremst verliert?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

elbkaida posted:

Oh man, so much denim. Also just casually having a big 'white power' flag on the fence, no biggie. The 80s and early 90s were such a weird time.

I'm wondering why a bunch of these guys have big HSV and Hertha patches on their outfits in particular. I get that supporting teams in the west was kind of a fashion but why pick these clubs.

Lok fans confirmed the worst too, no surprise there.

Hertha and Union used to have a fan friendship in the 80s. The 'why' should be obvious. No idea about the HSV though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My full suspension mountain bike that I use for city commuting in California as there is potholes everywhere and hydraulic brakes for smooth braking is more comfortable than a lot of cars, it does pay off to have a good bike, but it can also get easily stolen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

OP have you considered that maybe Wer bremst verliert?

Considering my problem is not being able to brems, I would say I'm a winner who tries to lose, but keeps winning against his will

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Libluini posted:

Considering my problem is not being able to brems, I would say I'm a winner who tries to lose, but keeps winning against his will

If you don't break the breaks don't break.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 4, 2020

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I currently ride a Rixe bike that I bought used for about 100€ last year. Works great despite its age - the original owner apparently paid 999DM for it :)
I mean I had to install a new gearshift and the dynamo is the old/bad type but that‘s about it! Gonna be a great companion until I forget to lock it at the train station again and it gets stolen.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
WD40 not only removes rust, it also removes any oils on the chain, leaving it exposed to quickly become rusty again. I wouldn’t use it on bike chains. Clean the chain with a chain cleaner and use chain oil to actually prolong the life span.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/flopschmidt/status/1257344786413031426?s=21

huge if true

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

For the same reason people spend more than 50€ on a smartphone even though they're not an enthusiast/profi of some kind.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A cheap 180 eur bike ist fine for a quick commute to the dick sucking factory and back, but it will probably start coming apart if you do anything more involved with it. Reifen are probably lovely and start abnutzing fast, you get an Achter in the Räder if you even look at a Bordstein wrong, all kinds of Lager start ausleiering, you get rust, plastic poo poo breaks if you drop it, it's unbequem for long commutes, etc.

Considering that you will probably get your 500eur bike stolen in no time it might still be better to just get a new 180 eur bike every two years or so.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Luckily I don't have to park my bike on the street but in a closed courtyard at work/our basement at home. Plus Munich isn't Berlin in terms of bicycle theft.

And I totally agree with needing a reliable good quality bike for my daily commute as I ride on public roads and down/up a steep hill. I can't risk a shoddy bike putting me in danger.

Also: Söder just presenting opening concept for Bavaria. Biergärten to open soon because Ansteckungsgefahr is lowest outdoors. But you can't go see friends just yet.

Wtf

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

There's pretty good bike insurances out there. 70 bucks a year and you get a new bike near instantaneously if it gets stolen. Mine didn't get stolen but a friends' did and the insurance worked out perfectly. They did lock it on an insanely busy street (Urbanstraße in Kreuzberg, near Hermannplatz) though, and I had it in a courtyard a lot of the time.

I cancelled mine after like three years but felt the peace of mind was worth it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hopper posted:

Also: Söder just presenting opening concept for Bavaria. Biergärten to open soon because Ansteckungsgefahr is lowest outdoors. But you can't go see friends just yet.

Wtf

Ahaha wtf, first he goes overboard with lockdown with not even going outside for a walk, then he opens up in the reverse order of everybody else?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

WD40 not only removes rust, it also removes any oils on the chain, leaving it exposed to quickly become rusty again. I wouldn’t use it on bike chains. Clean the chain with a chain cleaner and use chain oil to actually prolong the life span.

Thanks! I never thought more about this beyond going "Huh. I guess I should oil my chain then" after a Typ from my local Fahrradladen told me bike chains need regular oiling.

The idea that there's some kind of special bike chain oil you need to buy never crossed my head

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Wtf

Looks like Söder is trying to get as many Bavarians killed as he possible can. Which is something I can respect, but still. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

"Bayern werde sich an längeren Zeitachsen orientieren und werde längerfristig planen. Endgültig entschieden werde jedoch abhängig von der aktuellen Infektionsrate. „Eine atmende Strategie“, nannte Söder diese Strategie."

lol. lmao