Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Grevling posted:

He didn't say any of that though, the self-crit that's been going on has nothing to do with the liberal twittersphere pundit beef with Chapo.

Yeah it didn't have anything to do with anything the Chapos could consider to be their adversaries, even if one can picture a fair share of reading series targets doing this with those segments. And as he tries to argue his new self, he knows that all of these will be uploaded to the youtube page and that he'll have to argue against his old self in some sense. And not like, the old self of years ago, the old self of nearly two weeks ago. Drunk Matt telling people to kill themselves or Vibrating Matt on TrueAnon screaming about the lack of souls on people who don't like books or whatever Isn't this Matt, whatever we're seeing.

I'm still gonna wait and see what he streams for longer before I can call him a crank or whatever, hell a week before he was being super smug about his neighbors clapping, now in a way he kinda joins it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

What did they do to Necrons?

Originally they were just all Terminators. just killing robots. But they changed it so that most of the high level ones kept a bit of their personality. So all the troops are still Terminators, but the bosses are mad kings.

Which was imo, a necessary change. Half the point of Warhammer is coming up with your own dudes. If the whole race is just Terminators, you can't do that. If you paint them a different color, great, now you have blue Terminators. But now you can come up with your own Necron Lord with his own personality and history. And in the books and stuff Necrons can have goals other than just killing

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The best ork lore is that their guns are just some metal boxes with screws rattling around in them and only work because Orks believe they will

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Originally they were just all Terminators. just killing robots. But they changed it so that most of the high level ones kept a bit of their personality. So all the troops are still Terminators, but the bosses are mad kings.

Which was imo, a necessary change. Half the point of Warhammer is coming up with your own dudes. If the whole race is just Terminators, you can't do that. If you paint them a different color, great, now you have blue Terminators. But now you can come up with your own Necron Lord with his own personality and history. And in the books and stuff Necrons can have goals other than just killing

half-insane tomb kings are the best part of fantasy ipso facto half-insane necron lords are the best part of 40k

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1257348239398969372

Will is wise. :hmmyes:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New Necrons can be sassy, making them better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWEH4sjqlmY

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
On the subject of racist Warcraft races, not even trolls can hold a racist candle to pygmies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZqzDMvn5o

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sounds like Cajun Matt shifted down an octave.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
since we're on the topic of Video Games can I just say how much i cannot stand Final Fantasy fanboys who wont stop bitching about the 7 Remake?

(The comments don't necessarily Spoil anything you haven't seen in the trailers but i'll tag it just good measure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7apIOuNa7uA&lc=UgysibBd1Hw49-tLgU14AaABAg

Asher Jones
19 hours ago
The reason the ending is hard to interpret is that it's not the ending at all.:smug:

SmoothLegend
10 hours ago (edited)
As someone who expects a complete story in what is advertised as a complete game, especially a game specifically known for and fond of its story, I was disappointed as a newcomer, it was a bad first impression of the brand’s storytelling. I didn’t expect it to go Force Awakens and rely entirely on sequels, I sure hope they got a plan unlike Star Wars did, but them always being unsure of the scope of future projects is worrying. I also didn’t expect it expecting me to be well versed in the compilation, since it was also advertised as a great entry point for newcomers. Advent Children was more honest with itself and yet as a newcomer it tells a more well rounded story people can understand and feel the impact of.

SmoothLegend
43 minutes ago (edited)
@Hunter Adkins
Yes I realize all that, and while Star Wars was an exaggeration, the fact that FF7's creators dropped the ball so hard with Chapter 18's execution and that they're always unsure about the scope and number of sequels (despite having a narrative plan) doesn't leave much faith/confidence. This one worked because they knew exactly where it was going to end no matter what, and even then they couldn't hit a home run. You need your productions/projects mapped out without question, not just your narrative roadmap. Star Wars actually had the opposite problem, they had set productions but no narrative. You need both.

y'know, im kindly like nick from cum town at this point in that internet Nerds have nothing else to live for accept whining about games theyve already spent money on and will continue to spend money on just to justify said whining

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

That's why I endorse :filez: or going for the free game giveaways you get to complain without having to pay.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

T-man posted:

That's why I endorse :filez: or going for the free game giveaways you get to complain without having to pay.

just :lol: if you unironically thought it was going to be a one-N-done, 100% Remake and that they weren't going to beat the living poo poo out of this dead horse video game nerds are the loving worst

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FF7R is good and, much like The Last Jedi, its best quality is its capacity to make the worst nerds the most mad

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

FF7R is good and, much like The Last Jedi, its best quality is its capacity to make the worst nerds the most mad

but grieving for Gandalf, aren't YOU whining about nerds whining?

thought so:smug:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Race Realists posted:

but grieving for Gandalf, aren't YOU whining about nerds whining?

thought so:smug:

I don't think so

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

look im just stating my completely Logical and Rational argument. its sad to see casuals can't take my completely Objective Opinions as fact

:goonsay:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Race Realists posted:

im just stating my completely Logical and Rational argument. its sad to see casuals can't take my completely Objective Opinions as fact

:goonsay:

shut up

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Phone posted:

shut up

school yard insults eh?

debate me coward

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Race Realists posted:

school yard insults eh?

debate me coward

it was a command not an insult

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

it was a command not an insult

*switches goalposts like the insufferable nerd gently caress that he is*

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 4, 2020

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Race Realists posted:

*switches goalposts like the insufferable nerd gently caress that he is*

you refer to yourself in third person now?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

This is true.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Haven't played it, but I've watched some of FF7R on YouTube and have been listening to the soundtrack basically on repeat for weeks. Mother of loving god did they knock that poo poo out of this world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcOYUACgo34 (looks like HobbesB's banned because of course, so had to find a mega-upload instead of the split tracks. Anything that's a boss fight = A+++)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The music is far and away the best thing about the game, they really nailed it

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Equeen posted:

you refer to yourself in third person now?

yes

like an anime

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I wish Matt would stop harping on video games. Someone strap him down and force him to play and stream Silent Hill 2

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

How bout them Chapos huh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/humidhollow/status/1257495738218614784?s=20

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sana-kan posted:

I wish Matt would stop harping on video games. Someone strap him down and force him to play and stream Silent Hill 2

On one of his vlogs he was saying that doing the whole dialectical reasoning has helped him not feel that bad about being bad at video games and that they where talking with chris and felix about having a gaming rig for him to play on. The only thing that's holding him back is the technical aspect of streaming but i think they can figure it out.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Sana-kan posted:

nah his criticism about it not being bad per se but generally being escapism that just distracts from your alienation was cogent and he was way better tonight overall

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'm really digging the whole "stop talking about politics, person known for talking about politics!1!1!" sthick this thread has been on for about 3 months now:v:

really shows me where some of you guys priorities
lay at

EDIT:

terrorist ambulance posted:

nah his criticism about it not being bad per se but generally being escapism that just distracts from your alienation was cogent and he was way better tonight overall

this. this right here. this what you call one o'them thar good posts

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 5, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

Not sure what New Matt heralds for the show. Even though it is now clear that Old Matt was right, and Primary Matt was probably a mistake it would be difficult, inauthentic and slightly tired for them to just go back to their old ways. TrueAnon occupies that field now, and I believe Brace a lot more. Libs and "anti-fascist" are sort of holding their feet to the fire, making a black-pill turn somewhat more difficult, but honestly, by embracing the campaign the Chapos lost their outsider status so an attempt would feel pretty forced anyway.

They could look inward and do reading series shows about the beef the NYT has with them, but that would be really indulgent, and too similar to the feuding between Republican and Democrat media institutions, which they've made fun of in the past.

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

thotsky posted:

Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

I mean what the gently caress other options did people have, Bernie was the only shot people had for the next decade plus, it's better to have done all you could with this one precious shot than just stand back and cynically sneer the way you're suggesting.

also lol the reason why people listened to chapo wasnt just the ironic distance it was also for sincerity, it would be a pretty boring podcast if all they offered was cynicism.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean what the gently caress other options did people have, Bernie was the only shot people had for the next decade plus, it's better to have done all you could with this one precious shot than just stand back and cynically sneer the way you're suggesting.

also lol the reason why people listened to chapo wasnt just the ironic distance it was also for sincerity, it would be a pretty boring podcast if all they offered was cynicism.

The show was most compelling for me when it was just unrestrained anger at the controlled opposition of the Democrats - episodes like the Deficit Rag. The show never seemed to be about ironic distance to me. Usually the show was at its worst when focusing on abhorrent NY media types that basically no one outside of a small slice of NYC knows or cares about, whether it's Brett Stepehens or Megan McAardle or whomever. Like yeah they're disgusting people but their audience was never on your side so it comes across as low-hanging fruit and was pretty boring to listen to. I wouldn't mind if Matt just did Inebriated Past-type episodes once a month, the rest of the group I tend not to find as insightful unless it's some weird-but-true Felix take.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Flipping the chair around and sitting on it backwards like a cool substitute as I lecture the highest-grossing podcast on Patreon about how they're too niche and they gotta change their focus if they want to stay relevant.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Al-Saqr posted:

I don't disagree, it was the move that made sense politically / morally, but it still hosed the show.

Taking pot shots from the sideline was a huge part of the show, and they did compromise their anti-establishement stance by going all in like that. They used to be very clear that their intent was never to be part of the discourse, but now they are. That has affected the show.

I think they could/should make an attempt at deescalating, and remind people of when the show used to be fun, and not a lifeline or ideological touchstone. I wish they would do, like, three Call of Cthulhu episodes in a row, dealing with anything but the Bernie thing. Even a Corona take could be alright, although some obscure Twitter thing might be better. Follow that with an interview with somebody engaging and irreverent, like, bring Zizek back on.

That's about the only thing that would bring me back unless they really revamp the format, even then they would have to find a new source of momentum than the Bernie campaign.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Flipping the chair around and sitting on it backwards like a cool substitute as I lecture the highest-grossing podcast on Patreon about how they're too niche and they gotta change their focus if they want to stay relevant.

At least my observations come from like, hearing what the Chapo people had to say about it. I thought about the culture-centric Chapo because Felix brought it up in the first place.

And no, if anything, Amber's focus on local politics and labor unions and so on will be probably more important with Bernie out of the picture, as both something that will have more direct and observable results + something to build more community connections as time goes on. Specially on a time where essential workers role in keeping modern society going is only more and more self-evident.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thotsky posted:

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

nah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thotsky posted:

I think they could/should make an attempt at deescalating, and remind people of when the show used to be fun, and not a lifeline or ideological touchstone.

What are you talking about, they have always been that. Their first really big episode was the post-2016 election one, where the whole thing was they were expressing the anger that a lot of people felt.

The idea that Chapo at one point was some disconnected ironic snarky thing is absurd. The whole appeal of the show is that their attacks on the establishment come from a sincere, honest, and blatantly ideological place. It makes no sense to say that now they should give that up and become Weekend Update with swears, or whatever the gently caress you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

replace virgil with michael che, boom solved