Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can we force feed the virus 2 itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
are we dead yet?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Zeriel posted:

They've detected a strain of the virus in Arizona with with a new mutation. It's deleted part of its genome. The same thing happened with sars before the virus vanished.

If trump ends up being right about the virus just disappearing I might have a mental breakdown.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-scientific-team-unique-mutation-coronavirus.html

Lol it's literally all over the whole US, in every state, and in every county of most states, not to mention a lot of the rest of the planet. It'd be neat if they all politely agreed to mutate to something harmless overnight but that is some Darwin's Radio level science fiction.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Alpha Centauri posted:

are we dead yet?

I'm at least gay so halfway there.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

Listening to Alex Jones while workin out and he's saying Louisiana is under napoleonic law :stare:

Slate proposed it first 2005

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2005/09/is-louisiana-under-napoleonic-law.html

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its been obvious that every number the whitehouse has produced since trump took office has been something someone took 5 minutes to crank out in excel and each time the nytimes and others will respect the office and repeat these numbers uncritically

TRIMP!

*cough*

lol, yeah, it owns

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
For every gene it deletes another zoonosis happens to the next possible reservoir species.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Drinkfist posted:

Hey look its the Bold flank. The only loving strategy drilled into US Army infantryman that immediately stops working when someone knows about. Which is everyone in the middle east because all the fresh units keep doing it instead of just walking in indirect fire like they should instead of getting kids killed doing dumb poo poo that doesn't work in a loving desert.

Be fair. All the strategies they drilled into me other than "call someone with a bigger boom" stopped working when someone knew about them.

Now more than anything I want to make friends with a helicopter pilot and airstrike a random paintball arena.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Lol it's literally all over the whole US, in every state, and in every county of most states, not to mention a lot of the rest of the planet. It'd be neat if they all politely agreed to mutate to something harmless overnight but that is some Darwin's Radio level science fiction.

The real invisible defense was the genetic disorders of the incestuous hicks. The virus just crumbles when attacking the three stooges immune system of fourth generation inbreeding.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Be fair. All the strategies they drilled into me other than "call someone with a bigger boom" stopped working when someone knew about them.

Now more than anything I want to make friends with a helicopter pilot and airstrike a random paintball arena.

To hell with that. Freeze your paintballs and get em in the parking lot while they are out of position thinking the game is over. I didn't hear no bell.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
man, Slate was never good

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
is worldmeters.info still reliable?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Drinkfist posted:

Yeah. Funny thing about that. It works both ways.

I am allergic to bullets. Just mortar them because we can. The key to everything is to be lazy and aggressive. Everything the Army teaches is just dumb and accounts for getting people killed because they don't care. Stack up on a door and run in a room guns blazing into the unknown? The army considers it a victory if one of you is left alive and you took the room. So we just blow open a side wall with a MK19 making a nice big hole and shoot into it. Guys on the second floor? Duct tape a claymore to a board and just prop it up on the windows. gently caress going up stairs and being all by the book. You start losing friends to their dumb book strats and you come to realize real loving quick that everything you were taught is Lemming poo poo.
When I still lived around vets I loved to hear about all the "silly" improvisational poo poo they did to make a firefight less lethal to themselves and then it only dawned on me many years later that that was actually the correct solution in a combat zone and it stops being the least bit funny. :smith:

Drinkfist posted:

The real invisible defense was the genetic disorders of the incestuous hicks. The virus just crumbles when attacking the three stooges immune system of fourth generation inbreeding.
They're going to lose their parents / spouses and they're just not going to give a poo poo. It's already happening here and there and they make some mutterings about "Chinese virus" right before they go back to crying about not being able to eat at Chilis. We have entire generations taught to be sociopaths, and it's logical that would extend to their own families.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

What's this about trump making the virus magically disappear?

If he pulls that off then maybe God really did send him here

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

No idea. YES?, it has been extremelly reliable until now.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

None of the info is reliable

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

CODChimera posted:

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

shovelbum posted:

like we're disintegrating over a very very controllable virus, identical to but less severe than the viruses we get every several years like clockwork, which every other country has easily reduced to nearly zero with an 8-week lockdown, UBI, track and trace

:yeshaha:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're going to lose their parents / spouses and they're just not going to give a poo poo. It's already happening here and there and they make some mutterings about "Chinese virus" right before they go back to crying about not being able to eat at Chilis. We have entire generations taught to be sociopaths, and it's logical that would extend to their own families.

Yeah, the priming to blame China for it all is messed up. It was easily controllable if people were smart but instead everyone is going to die and froth at China for killing them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CODChimera posted:

None of the info is reliable

Seriously it is all best visualized with clouds of shrug and thinky face emojis

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently the French retroactively tested blood samples from a dude that had pneumonia in late december and he had Corona. No known contact with people travelling or whatever. Maybe this has already been discussed itt idk

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Seriously it is all best visualized with clouds of shrug and thinky face emojis

And trump tweets, ya gots to have trump tweets

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

CODChimera posted:

If he pulls that off then maybe God really did send him here

Funny I see it the other way. If he does make it magically disappear then god is truly dead.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Just ignore the ones telling you to inject yourself with bleach

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
SARS-CoV-2 is just applying adaptive pressure to our sovereign superorganisms, and those countries that cling to deluded notions of individual liberty will perish. It's fortuitous, really.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Syncopated posted:

Apparently the French retroactively tested blood samples from a dude that had pneumonia in late december and he had Corona. No known contact with people travelling or whatever. Maybe this has already been discussed itt idk

it has

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I am the vector

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1256966926045253634/pu/vid/576x1246/U-6-eZpHugnsIGLu.mp4

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1257154236409884672/pu/vid/384x480/kO8HkDAmlhjivuk2.mp4

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

No one ever answered me if Rice-a-Roni is racist now.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Drinkfist posted:

No one ever answered me if Rice-a-Roni is racist now.

it’s racist to people wherever rice, pasta, and roni come from, possibly spanning several continents

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
they all originated from China dude

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

but it could be racist toward the Italians as well

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1257596580544331777?s=20

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1257596516551680000?s=20

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

bojo nooooo

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
From CNN:

Do you have the 'skin hunger'?

The Dutch-born anthropologist Harald Prins points out the effect coronavirus has already had on his native language:
It appears, not surprisingly, that Covid-19 related neologisms are rampant in the Netherlands (and probably in most if not all other languages, too). I doubt most will survive but some will, albeit with unsuspected accretions.

In Dutch, for example, few realize that a popular word like "klerevent" (difficult to translate, but equivalent to bastard or rotten fellow) derives from cholera (klere).

Here are some Dutch corona neologisms with my free translations (but several terms resonate in a unique social-cultural way in the Netherlands):

Huidhonger / skin hunger: a longing for human contact while in isolation
Anderhalvemeteresamenleving / six-feet-society: an society constructed to avoid spreading coronavirus
Hoestschaamte / cough-shame: the anxiety one may experience about possibly triggering a panic among the people nearby when making a coughing sound for whatever reason
Coronahufter / coronajerk: shopper at a supermarket or store who violates the six-foot social distance prescription or other safe-keeping protocol.
Druppelcontact / spray-contact: exchange of little droplets when sneezing or coughing, esp. as source of infection
Onthamsteren / dehoarding: processing long-stored shelf-stable food into a meal.
Straatschaamte / street-shame: the embarrassment someone experiences when being out for urgently necessary errands during lockdown
Toogviroloog / blather-virologist: dilettante who spreads false or unsubstantiated information about the virus, its transmission, or its treatment

A new Dutch corona lexicon was created and is updated. It already comprises 700 new words, including those noted above.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I see that in Russia they decided to flatten the doctors, not the curve.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1257594058517684225

Uh

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

are we dead yet?

spiritually? yes.

physically? oh you better believe the answer is yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

twoday posted:

From CNN:

Do you have the 'skin hunger'?

The Dutch-born anthropologist Harald Prins points out the effect coronavirus has already had on his native language:
It appears, not surprisingly, that Covid-19 related neologisms are rampant in the Netherlands (and probably in most if not all other languages, too). I doubt most will survive but some will, albeit with unsuspected accretions.

In Dutch, for example, few realize that a popular word like "klerevent" (difficult to translate, but equivalent to bastard or rotten fellow) derives from cholera (klere).

Here are some Dutch corona neologisms with my free translations (but several terms resonate in a unique social-cultural way in the Netherlands):

Huidhonger / skin hunger: a longing for human contact while in isolation
Anderhalvemeteresamenleving / six-feet-society: an society constructed to avoid spreading coronavirus
Hoestschaamte / cough-shame: the anxiety one may experience about possibly triggering a panic among the people nearby when making a coughing sound for whatever reason
Coronahufter / coronajerk: shopper at a supermarket or store who violates the six-foot social distance prescription or other safe-keeping protocol.
Druppelcontact / spray-contact: exchange of little droplets when sneezing or coughing, esp. as source of infection
Onthamsteren / dehoarding: processing long-stored shelf-stable food into a meal.
Straatschaamte / street-shame: the embarrassment someone experiences when being out for urgently necessary errands during lockdown
Toogviroloog / blather-virologist: dilettante who spreads false or unsubstantiated information about the virus, its transmission, or its treatment

A new Dutch corona lexicon was created and is updated. It already comprises 700 new words, including those noted above.

This is really cool.

And no... I am not aware of new words added to spanish. But can be something regional, like Madrid having a lot of words (they are good at that) but not anywhere else.

I will move the dutch one position up in my list of awesome people.