Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dark is for color light is for flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The smokey flavour is from the human hair

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I like to use dark when I'm making a beef stir fry. Just today I cubed some london broil, coated it with dark soy, sprinkled in some 5 spice and pepper, then after letting it sit for a hour I stir fried with onion and celery. The main thing about doing this is that the soy sauce will burn if you're not careful, but if you do it right it turns into a pleasant rich sauce.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I need to get in the habit of doing a proper dark sauce for stir-fry. Problem is, my rice cooker up and died and there's no glass container I have big enough to microwave up enough rice for a full week of meals in one go.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Do you have a stove?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sort of, but that's poo poo too. Two settings, off and saute.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

lol that sucks

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You're telling me. I can't make tarts without fanbake, but it doesn't have that either.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

microwave up enough rice for a full week of meals in one go.

don't do this

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

he can do it if he wants you're not his dad

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is a material risk of getting sick from that yeah, lol

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Reheated rice is disgusting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is a material risk of getting sick from that yeah, lol

Do they not have refrigerators on your planet?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do they not have refrigerators on your planet?

TBF on the other guy's planet there are no stoves or hot plates or anything.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, we don't have much to work with in NZ :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

You're telling me. I can't make tarts without fanbake, but it doesn't have that either.

The only time I use the fan oven setting is when I'm baking tofu cubes for a stir fry, I feel confident you could make tarts with the regular oven mode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Forceholy posted:

Reheated rice is disgusting.

Also a food safety nightmare!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've been cooking a week's worth of brown rice, meat and vegetables of all kinds, then storing and eating individual portions, for months now. I haven't gotten sick once. What bullets am I supposedly dodging?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

I've been cooking a week's worth of brown rice, meat and vegetables of all kinds, then storing and eating individual portions, for months now. I haven't gotten sick once. What bullets am I supposedly dodging?

B. Cereus and also possible botulism (if you leave it at room temp for a while)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I know an Instant Pot isn't exactly an autoclave, but this strikes me as a remote possibility? I don't doubt you're right I just feel like it would be far more common wisdom like cooking your chicken / pork through.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

This is basically what I do. Cook rice, meat, veg, sauce, bits. Put in containers, bleed off the heat for ten minutes, then fridge/freezer.

The only thing I've gotten food poisoning from this past year was Dominos.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

I know an Instant Pot isn't exactly an autoclave, but this strikes me as a remote possibility? I don't doubt you're right I just feel like it would be far more common wisdom like cooking your chicken / pork through.

It’s a spore forming bacteria so it can survive some incredibly rough conditions. It’s not a problem if you’re storing it correctly, but if you leave it out for a while and conditions become good those spores will become “gently caress up your day” bacteria relatively quick.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean i guess it's possible but if it were more regular people in hawaii would get sick all the time. it seems like a concern for a buffet, not for a household that tosses the leftover rice in the fridge

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

B. Cereus and also possible botulism (if you leave it at room temp for a while)

Surely, you can't B. cereus.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Someone please give me the wu tang rice secret it either reheats dry and crumbly or it gets mushy and dissolved in the sauce after two days. I just pot the sauce and make new rice in small batches each day but that's more annoying than fridging it all

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
:11tea:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

i mean i guess it's possible but if it were more regular people in hawaii would get sick all the time. it seems like a concern for a buffet, not for a household that tosses the leftover rice in the fridge

There’s 63k cases of it a year in the US, it’s not super common but it’s not rare either.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Instant Pot, washed brown jasmine 1:1 with water on 21min Multigrain setting, leave on Keep Warm until you're ready to open the lid (longer wait to drop the pressure means less sticking to the inner pot) and put it into containers with everything, 5-10min on the countertop to cool with the lids on but open.

Maybe die of botulism, I dunno.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're not getting Cereus unless you're really blase about food safety.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

goons, famously rigorously clean

never mind the poo poo lasagna

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'll have you know I shower daily!

Used to be twice daily, but electricity is expensive here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shumagorath posted:

I know an Instant Pot isn't exactly an autoclave, but this strikes me as a remote possibility?

It's remote if you follow basic food safety. It happens when people leave their rice in the rice cooker on keep warm for days on end.

threelemmings posted:

Someone please give me the wu tang rice secret it either reheats dry and crumbly or it gets mushy and dissolved in the sauce after two days. I just pot the sauce and make new rice in small batches each day but that's more annoying than fridging it all

If you soak most japonica cultivars, they'll stay edible the next day in the fridge. Cover it with some plastic wrap right up touching the rice for best results.

If you're keeping it in the fridge, make fried rice.

If you want just white rice, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap while it's still hot and fresh from the rice cooker, then straight in the freezer. Microwave directly from frozen, still wrapped. It's not the same as fresh but it's as close as you're going to get.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 5, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Absolutely please freeze portions of cooled rice instead of storing in the fridge, if you like your rice soft instead of a dry/mush chimera.

Source: me making bentos for my kids

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Hey, we don't have much to work with in NZ :(

You can get rice cookers at PBTech. You have to order online and have a contact-less pick up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Fresh rice takes all of 30 minutes to make with no interaction and decent rice cookers even allow you to schedule a specific start time. What are yall doin.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe he wants fried rice which is better with overnight rice.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Fresh rice takes all of 30 minutes to make with no interaction and decent rice cookers even allow you to schedule a specific start time. What are yall doin.
Taking lunch to work and who wants to make a single cup of rice at a time?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

*Offers the cooked rice he was storing in his pockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Taking lunch to work and who wants to make a single cup of rice at a time?

Microwave cup
https://paypaymall.yahoo.co.jp/store/y-kojima/item/4189857/?sc_e=slga_pla_i_shp_02505

Mini electric rice cooker
https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/este/wat5351.html?sc_e=slga_pla_i_shp_02508

There are actually quite a few products for this.