Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the real problem is that the Virus is sucking all the oxygen out of the room and every news cycle that isn't about Joe Biden's rape is about Covid, and I don't think the boys want to be reduced to being a podcast that just does weekly Covid updates so they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for something, anything else to talk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

thotsky posted:

Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

Not sure what New Matt heralds for the show. Even though it is now clear that Old Matt was right, and Primary Matt was probably a mistake it would be difficult, inauthentic and slightly tired for them to just go back to their old ways. TrueAnon occupies that field now, and I believe Brace a lot more. Libs and "anti-fascist" are sort of holding their feet to the fire, making a black-pill turn somewhat more difficult, but honestly, by embracing the campaign the Chapos lost their outsider status so an attempt would feel pretty forced anyway.

They could look inward and do reading series shows about the beef the NYT has with them, but that would be really indulgent, and too similar to the feuding between Republican and Democrat media institutions, which they've made fun of in the past.

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

I think today's good episode is an indication that you're thinking way too hard about all of this.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Gripweed posted:

What are you talking about, they have always been that. Their first really big episode was the post-2016 election one, where the whole thing was they were expressing the anger that a lot of people felt.

The idea that Chapo at one point was some disconnected ironic snarky thing is absurd. The whole appeal of the show is that their attacks on the establishment come from a sincere, honest, and blatantly ideological place.

I dunno, I guess it does not seem all that honest to me anymore. Where's the anger? Half the hosts went AWOL after the loss. It felt like all they could offer up was an endless series of lukewarm postmortems. It did not feel to me like their hearts were in any calls to keep the fight going on a local level, which is understandable, and I'm not sure I would have been receptive to that anyway. I guess the stuff you're talking about led me to believe they would have more of a response to the loss than being sad boys about it.

It does not feel like they're on the attack to me, but even if they were that's not really the full appeal of Chapo in my opinion. During the run up to the primaries, and during, they coupled their criticism with a feeling of momentum; it felt like they/we were making a difference, so being funny was not that important, but the show has existed for a lot longer than that period, and during that time the appeal was always combining said anger with actual wit. These people are funny twitter personalities, not pundits, and losing sight of that hurts the show imo.

Joementum posted:

I think today's good episode is an indication that you're thinking way too hard about all of this.

I mean, probably, but I'm working from home so :justpost:

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 5, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao what the gently caress is with this new “showing his rear end” phrase that goons have been dropping all over the forums lately, and why should Will be in anyway embarrassed by using his popular media platform to help promote his personal political agenda of socialized health care and election reform, and why should they be especially embarrassed about how effective and powerful their influence became? Like none of that makes any sense at all.

People are allowed to mourn, and Bernard’s loss would’ve been hard on us no matter what, but not even the sickest and most hate-hardened of us could have foreseen the DNC literally sacrificing voters on a Corona virus altar to stop Bernie, and Bernie’s entire campaign and political career are currently being validated by unprecedented loss of American lives and mismanagement of our critical resources. I would lose a very human connection to this show if they didn’t mourn appropriately.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The podcast has always been about making fun of movies, tv shows, and bad opinion columns with a little punditry from the left. It was something different for a couple months this year while they were doing live shows but that was never sustainable because if it worked the show would have ended (Will explicitly said this) and now that it didn't work they're reverting to the old format.

Today's show could have been transported back to 2016 just replacing "Biden" with "Hillary" and it wouldn't feel out of place at all. Which is great. The last thing I want to listen to right now is another couple hours of whining about how the Bernie movement went wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

thotsky posted:

I don't disagree, it was the move that made sense politically / morally, but it still hosed the show.

Taking pot shots from the sideline was a huge part of the show, and they did compromise their anti-establishement stance by going all in like that. They used to be very clear that their intent was never to be part of the discourse, but now they are. That has affected the show.

No they didn't. You're just incredibly stupid. Stop posting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I have nothing but admiration for the Chapos for very earnestly going to the hilt for Bernie, anything else would have been cowardice

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the real problem is that the Virus is sucking all the oxygen out of the room and every news cycle that isn't about Joe Biden's rape is about Covid, and I don't think the boys want to be reduced to being a podcast that just does weekly Covid updates so they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for something, anything else to talk about

It's just this. Today's episode is hilarious because they've got Venezuela to talk about.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

The podcast has always been about making fun of movies, tv shows, and bad opinion columns with a little punditry from the left. It was something different for a couple months this year while they were doing live shows but that was never sustainable because if it worked the show would have ended (Will explicitly said this) and now that it didn't work they're reverting to the old format.

Today's show could have been transported back to 2016 just replacing "Biden" with "Hillary" and it wouldn't feel out of place at all. Which is great. The last thing I want to listen to right now is another couple hours of whining about how the Bernie movement went wrong.

It's funny people always seem to forget this whole podcast started with them making fun of the Michael Bay Benghazi movie

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Amber A'lee Frost: "I'm not a boat slut."

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

multijoe posted:

I have nothing but admiration for the Chapos for very earnestly going to the hilt for Bernie, anything else would have been cowardice

This is my feeling on it. I love it when they get super earnest and excited, those have been some of my favorite sections of the whole podcast.

The other is Matt singing :allears:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I swear it only took like 48 hours to go from mocking a crazy Twitter person claiming that Chapo had started going downhill to talking in earnest about how Chapo was going downhill.

The show has been running for nearly half a decade now, if you're not enjoying it any more that's totally understandable and there's no shame in tapping out and saying you had a good run. Even if you and the show remained exactly the same all this time that's more than enough time to have had your fill, there's never been more quality shows covering this niche for you to choose from as a replacement.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I could change one thing about the show it would be banning Matt from doing his Trump voice.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If I could change one thing about the show it would be banning Matt from doing his Trump voice.

I love the Trump voice. (We love it folks!)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He should do his British accent instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

It’s literally the worst Trump impression anyone has ever done. His jokes or lines would be 100% funnier and read better in his normal speaking voice. It’s anti-comedy. I don’t know how anyone could hit the same microphones as Felix and still want to try doing impressions that poorly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

How can anyone not like Matt doing Trump, he nails the cadence at least

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

He doesn’t though. If you didn’t know in advance it’s meant to be Trump, it’d just be a weird voice.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BBJoey posted:

He doesn’t though. If you didn’t know in advance it’s meant to be Trump, it’d just be a weird voice.

Remember when Norm McDonald would be Bob Dole, and put almost zero effort into it? It's like that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I miss Amber being on as much because she's the only one willing to interrupt Matt's unhinged five minute long Alex Jones rants about drowning in boiling seawater and pizzagate being real and doing Donal Trump free association and tell him to shut the gently caress up and quit making every episode be about his brain problems.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I actually love that voice.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We love the voice!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Matt's Trump impersonation is more a brain impersonation than a vocal one, and that's why it's great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Matt's Trump impression is great because it's not trying to sound like Trump. It's going for a fundamental truth about the man instead of just sounding like him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gripweed posted:

Matt's Trump impression is great because it's not trying to sound like Trump. It's going for a fundamental truth about the man instead of just sounding like him

Yes, it's all about gleeful delight in the stupidest poo poo.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

never trying..... the essence of good leftism

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
TiVooooo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Sleeveless posted:

I miss Amber being on as much because she's the only one willing to interrupt Matt's unhinged five minute long Alex Jones rants about drowning in boiling seawater and pizzagate being real and doing Donal Trump free association and tell him to shut the gently caress up and quit making every episode be about his brain problems.

Amber has been on every episode for the last several weeks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yes, it's all about gleeful delight in the stupidest poo poo.

Yeah, when I first heard that style of impression my brain went to 'demonic gremlin gameshow host' which I think captures the essence of the era more than an accurate impression

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jackie D posted:

Amber has been on every episode for the last several weeks

I feel like this thread is also just slow burn dealing with bernie losing and poo poo cause some of these critiques just don't seem cogent to me. its a big deal that he lost, especially for the left. and then you have covid just loving everyone's poo poo up.

yall need to calm down, even if they had not gone all in for bernie they show would be weird after he lost and with covid.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The voice takes on a life of its own. Decades from now people will swear that's what Trump really sounded like.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

thotsky posted:

Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

Not sure what New Matt heralds for the show. Even though it is now clear that Old Matt was right, and Primary Matt was probably a mistake it would be difficult, inauthentic and slightly tired for them to just go back to their old ways. TrueAnon occupies that field now, and I believe Brace a lot more. Libs and "anti-fascist" are sort of holding their feet to the fire, making a black-pill turn somewhat more difficult, but honestly, by embracing the campaign the Chapos lost their outsider status so an attempt would feel pretty forced anyway.

They could look inward and do reading series shows about the beef the NYT has with them, but that would be really indulgent, and too similar to the feuding between Republican and Democrat media institutions, which they've made fun of in the past.

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

Where's Virgil?? (like the The Simpsons episode about Poochy)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
When is the Virgil spinoff coming out?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Matt's brain problems are entertaining and thought-provoking, though

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
For real though I hope that whatever Virgil's up to that he's ok and I just hope he's not, like, in a crazy house or going through rehab or getting surgery to become a bimbofied kitty cat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Vape rehab is a long, arduous process, and Virgil needs to take the time to do it properly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

For real though I hope that whatever Virgil's up to that he's ok and I just hope he's not, like, in a crazy house or going through rehab or getting surgery to become a bimbofied kitty cat

Hmmm, one of these is not like the others

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If indeed he is just taking a sabbatical I hope they play the recorded bit he sent them at some point. Virgil is delicate and must be protected

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joementum posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

What's wrong with that last one?