Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I can second Yost. I've got the 865-DI 6.5" and I'm happy with how beefy it is and how smooth it operates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I love my CL antique humongous bench vise. It was rusty and banged up and had no paint left to speak of when I took possession but I could never replace it with anything new with equal capabilities at a price I could justify. Totally worth the hassle. That's my vise story. Turning bases are more of a liability than an advantage, is my vise opinion :colbert:.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

taqueso posted:

I got a Yost 5.5" vise on amazon when they were on sale and I've been really happy with it. It's beefy as hell, IMO. I paid a fair amount less than the current price though.

There’s a Yost sale at least once a year. You can set an alert on slickdeals. I’m waiting for a big ductile iron Yost myself.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Looks like I'm about to be buying an air compressor.

Use will be automotive and fabrication. 90% grinders, air chisel and impact. Possibly a sand blaster. There's one where I work so I could go either way.

I might try to paint a car in the future. This would be a beat up race car paint job not a paint cars for a living thing.

Thoughts on brand and size? 220 or 110 is fine, single phase only though.

Happy to buy once cry once if it makes sense but not trying to waste money.

Also home garage so quieter is better but doesn't have to be silent or anything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A vise is something where you just buy the oldest and biggest one you can find. I used this guide when looking for one and found an old Record on CL for $40.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Nthing the Yost, I’ve had a 5” one for years that I batter and it’s great. And it was comically cheap when I bought it.

RE: welder chat, I got a Primeweld 225X TIG machine for my first welder and I’m really happy with it. I think it was $800, but budget another $500 for poo poo to actually use it (mask, gloves, argon). My argon tank was $300.

I’ll probably get a little Hobart for MIG when I get a chance, I learned TIG first and it’s very satisfying but sometimes you just want a metal hot glue gun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Big Taint posted:

sometimes you just want a metal hot glue gun.

MIG is just beautiful for this. I've never used it for anything significantly sized, although I know if you know what you are doing you can. (I use stick for big stuff, or TIG if I have all day and want it pretty).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Best deal I’ve seen from not-eBay for the big dewalt impact with hog ring instead of detent pin. No tax or shipping either.
https://www.jbtools.com/dewalt-dcf899hb-20v-brushless-ht-1-2-impact-wrench-hog-ring-bare-tool-new/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Suburban Dad posted:

A vise is something where you just buy the oldest and biggest one you can find. I used this guide when looking for one and found an old Record on CL for $40.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

In the finest tradition of equipping a garage I bought a 100ish year old vice from the back of a rusty van full of old tools at a small engines fair. £15.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

builds character posted:

Best deal I’ve seen from not-eBay for the big dewalt impact with hog ring instead of detent pin. No tax or shipping either.
https://www.jbtools.com/dewalt-dcf899hb-20v-brushless-ht-1-2-impact-wrench-hog-ring-bare-tool-new/

I’ve had the detent pin version for 3 years. It rules.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
People are starting to wise up on the value of old school metalworking tools like vises and anvils. Can't find any around me <$60 when they used to be free

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

The Door Frame posted:

People are starting to wise up on the value of old school metalworking tools like vises and anvils. Can't find any around me <$60 when they used to be free

I spent years looking for an anvil since it was common knowledge that they could be found for cheap, but not so. Finally I gave up and just paid market value which is about $6/kg for a nice one in my area. I get the impressions that the era of great bargains on used old stuff is more or less over unless you're looking for really odd things that almost nobody wants to buy.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

MomJeans420 posted:

Is a HF vise decent enough for someone who very rarely needs a vise? I looked on CL for a good deal and a new HF one was cheaper than the heavily used CL ones, plus HF is closer and I don't have to deal with people from CL.

No. I’ve broken two of them with just my weak arms. Yost is ok, buy vintage if possible.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

This is my antique vise after I dolled it up. The screw and nut were pristine but the rest was pretty rusty. Electrolysis took care of the worst of it. It cost me $120 IIRC plus an angle grinder wire brush and a can of paint. I forget how big it is but I've used it to break beads on car tires with room to spare. It's not mounted on that workbench because that would just be silly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Started to spring clean the garage and noticed (yeah I'm blind) a spring compressor kit I had stowed in a deep box on my workbench which then was moved to my current house. It was from Homier Distribution. Had a nice gold seal on the box, 1 year warranty. How that thing didn't loving kill me when I went to change a strut at around 18 years of age is beyond me. And how I still had it shows my lack of tool inventory control.

BTW, without a local Sears, best place to buy single sockets? Yep, missing a ten on one of my sets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

BTW, without a local Sears, best place to buy single sockets? Yep, missing a ten on one of my sets.

Menards? It'll be their store brand but their warranty is solid.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Rhyno posted:

Menards? It'll be their store brand but their warranty is solid.

I don't have a Menard's super close, but Home Depot's Husky brand is my general go to for things like that.
I've never needed to use their warranty on sockets, but for other tools (I may or may not have abused in ways they did not intend) getting a replacement was no questions asked, show up, give them the tool, grab one that looks about the same, walk out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Amazon/Ebay usually have a couple of good brands available as well. Grey Pneumatic is good, you can usually find one off sockets on ebay from Snap-On/Matco/MAC/Proto/SK Tool/... pretty easily and fairly inexpensively.

As ever, Amazon is a probably faster, ebay is probably cheaper.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Amazon/Ebay usually have a couple of good brands available as well. Grey Pneumatic is good, you can usually find one off sockets on ebay from Snap-On/Matco/MAC/Proto/SK Tool/... pretty easily and fairly inexpensively.

As ever, Amazon is a probably faster, ebay is probably cheaper.

Not these days. Amazon is 7 days out for me right now on most things, eBay (especially if they're local-ish) is much quicker.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've gotten individual pieces from Farm and Fleet.

Or just buy a whole set at HF. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ooooh, these are cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-Pneu...rear end!91506!US!-1

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I ordered a 8" Dewalt bench grinder from Northern Tool. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The packaging for those is legit too:

Super quick tool review: the $80 Pittsburgh scissor-style transmission jack is loving awesome. I was able to get my TJ's old transfer case out without it, but getting the new one balanced properly on a jack saddle was not going well, even using blocks of wood to try and level things out. With that jack I had it lined up on the first try.

It also was easier to use that instead of a hydraulic jack to lift the gigantic skid plate / transfer case mount back into place.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

The packaging for those is legit too:

That's amazing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was looking for some storage ideas and found this... inspiring product.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-TOOL-RACK-FOR-SHOP-TRAILER-GARAGE-HANDY-ORGANIZER-FOR-CAR-OR-BIKE-GUYS-/202825779106

Hate to admit it, but it did make me stop and look.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think this is the right place for this but if not please direct me elsewhere:

I have a vehicle with a stripped spark plug thread that takes a NGK CR8E plug (M10x1.0 thread).

I have a time-sert M10x1.0 kit from a previous repair. Can I use this for my spark plug or should i buy a proper spark-plug repair kit from them? Seems like the difference is that the sparkplug kit uses a stepped tap so it follow the old threads while cutting new ones, and the seat cutter uses the tap as a pilot instead of drilling the old thread, c-boring and then straight tapping to finish. My current kit has the right insert length, but they're grey instead of copper plated.

Anyone got advice? I don't mind spending the money if it'll make a difference but it also seems silly to have two slightly different thread repair kits of the same size.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My 10 year old Milwaukee M18 batteries are starting to seem a little tired. I want to pick up a not counterfeit 3rd one.

What are my best (cheapest) options?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Uthor posted:

I've gotten individual pieces from Farm and Fleet.

Or just buy a whole set at HF. :v:

Yeah, guess when I mentioned Sears for singles this is a Craftsman set in a tray that I've had forever so guess autism/memories want me to keep it whole with Craftsman.

That Astro package gave me a good laugh. There's an Astro rep that hangs around garagejournal and is great.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Rather than being productive last week, I decided to troll eBay for vintage Mitutoyo vernier calipers.
I did not come away empty handed.

The iGaging digital caliper at the bottom I already had. For the money, I highly recommend it. It seems accurate enough for general purpose use and provides consistent measurements. One word of caution: take the battery out when not using it as it will drain them when turned off. But for $20, you really can't go wrong.
The iGaging depth gauge on the left I also just got. I haven't used it much. It does not seem to be the most durable construction, mostly plastic. But it does seem to be accurate and give consistent results.

iGaging

Mitutoyo slide caliper

I do wish it had a thumb wheel, but considering one of these new is around $200 and I got this for $40, I won't complain too much.

Mitutoyo dial vernier caliper

Also only $40.

The slide caliper had some splatters on it, maybe paint?

A little light Scotch Brite action got it off.

They were both a little dirty but cleaned up nicely and seem to be in good working order.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you measure the same thing with all of them how do they compare?

Good find also, I need to do some similar shopping, specifically a 150mm and another 70mm if I can find one.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CarForumPoster posted:

My 10 year old Milwaukee M18 batteries are starting to seem a little tired. I want to pick up a not counterfeit 3rd one.

If you can wait a little longer, Milwaukee is supposed to roll out its worthwhile deals soon. Right now the 2 battery packs I see on the shelves are ~$130 for 2 3Ah or a 3Ah/5Ah pack for ~$170 IIRC, but they usually start running a 3Ah/5Ah pack or 2 5Ah pack with a free tool by mid May/early June for $150-$170. Usually the tool deals get better closer to Father's Day too

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 5, 2020

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you measure the same thing with all of them how do they compare?

Good find also, I need to do some similar shopping, specifically a 150mm and another 70mm if I can find one.

I had done a rough comparison with each other and could tell they weren't miles apart.
I actually just checked them against the width of a ruler:

iGaging: 0.4955 in

Mitutoyo vernier calipers: 0.492 in (technically ~ 63/128 in.)

Mitutoyo dial calipers: 0.496 in

I say that's not too bad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

you should be able to find them on craigslist, $10/ah seems to be about the going rate

other than that, you can watch this thread for deals:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379615

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

The newer 21700 cell packs are a lot cheaper than the old 18650 cell packs of similar capacity, especially if you're looking above the compact level.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

nadmonk posted:

Rather than being productive last week, I decided to troll eBay for vintage Mitutoyo vernier calipers.
I did not come away empty handed.

The iGaging digital caliper at the bottom I already had. For the money, I highly recommend it. It seems accurate enough for general purpose use and provides consistent measurements. One word of caution: take the battery out when not using it as it will drain them when turned off. But for $20, you really can't go wrong.
The iGaging depth gauge on the left I also just got. I haven't used it much. It does not seem to be the most durable construction, mostly plastic. But it does seem to be accurate and give consistent results.

iGaging

Mitutoyo slide caliper

I do wish it had a thumb wheel, but considering one of these new is around $200 and I got this for $40, I won't complain too much.

Mitutoyo dial vernier caliper

Also only $40.

The slide caliper had some splatters on it, maybe paint?

A little light Scotch Brite action got it off.

They were both a little dirty but cleaned up nicely and seem to be in good working order.
Those are old iGauging. The new ones take the CR2032 and don't seem to drain the batteries at all. The HFs and others that take the LR44 button cells all drain crazy fast the on/off button just turns off the display, not the sensor.

Nice score on the Mitutoyo gear.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

sharkytm posted:

Those are old iGauging. The new ones take the CR2032 and don't seem to drain the batteries at all. The HFs and others that take the LR44 button cells all drain crazy fast the on/off button just turns off the display, not the sensor.

Nice score on the Mitutoyo gear.

Thanks!

This iGaging does actually take the CR2032 as well. It isn't a terrible drain, but it is enough that if you leave it for a few weeks or so you might find it dead.
Maybe I'd just been leaving it turned on by accident or something. Now as force of habit I just pop the battery out when I'm done.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's not the battery type, it's how much power the device consumes when it is off. But it isn't actually off, it's sleeping and waiting for an interrupt signalling the power button was pressed or that the jaws moved. A modern microcontroller makes it almost trivial to sleep at low microamp levels, but go back 10 years and you'd have to pay close attention and choose the right parts to do that well (ie expensive models). Maybe LR44 is out of fashion making it a minor indicator of a newer design?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

It's not the battery type, it's how much power the device consumes when it is off. But it isn't actually off, it's sleeping and waiting for an interrupt signalling the power button was pressed or that the jaws moved. A modern microcontroller makes it almost trivial to sleep at low microamp levels, but go back 10 years and you'd have to pay close attention and choose the right parts to do that well (ie expensive models). Maybe LR44 is out of fashion making it a minor indicator of a newer design?

That's what I meant. I've got several that take the LR44 and they're all horrible battery hogs. The three that take cr2032 last 12+months on a battery cell.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm building a wooden deck and my OCD dictates that the screws line up perfectly. For that reason, I've fallen in love with those newfangled "3D" lasers, like this one:

What's a good one in the $100-$200 range (if that exists) for the discerning home gamer?

In particular, I like the feature where there's a dot below and above, perfectly plumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bolind posted:

I'm building a wooden deck and my OCD dictates that the screws line up perfectly. For that reason, I've fallen in love with those newfangled "3D" lasers, like this one:

What's a good one in the $100-$200 range (if that exists) for the discerning home gamer?

In particular, I like the feature where there's a dot below and above, perfectly plumb.

For a one-time use application, I went with a straight crosshair laser from bangood: https://www.banggood.com/HANMATEK-L...ur_warehouse=CN

Got 2 of them for like $12 each with some kind of sale. One worked once, the other seems to be chooching along fine. I used them for some framing, and then to align a 18' run of cabinet hardware that HAD to be dead-nuts on. Worked great.