Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
little sparks that fall down in no gravity

CR saw Expanse?

Edit:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Pixelate posted:

But forget all that, here is my taxxe

CIG have been struggling with marketing since Strangli left. So I remade their 3.9 trailer for them:

:siren: Star Citizen: 3.9 - Cocked Up & Coded :siren:

(lovely quality / size, but if anyone wants to stick on a proper video site go for it)

:five:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Pixelate posted:

But forget all that, here is my taxxe

CIG have been struggling with marketing since Strangli left. So I remade their 3.9 trailer for them:

:siren: Star Citizen: 3.9 - Cocked Up & Coded :siren:

(lovely quality / size, but if anyone wants to stick on a proper video site go for it)

:discourse:

Someone should post this to either the main SC or refunds reddit :gary:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Quavers posted:

Someone should post this to the main SC reddit

Done!

Has actually got the odd upvote

e: Now on /r/gaming too. Will see if it holds. Gah, no, memory holed I think. Normally happens when I post fun SC stuff there

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 5, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In preparation for the upcoming free fly reinstalled SC.

Possibly decided to do this based on a dream i had where i was playing SC and CIG had archered Wookies into the game.

Anyway, noticed i could get into the hangar module, so despite having no ships, thought i'd take a look.

Then tried to exit and got infinite load screen requiring a task kill.

Mssn sccsfl.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dwesa posted:

little sparks that fall down in no gravity

And a ship that stops dead with zero momentum...

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mu77ley posted:

Which means it's time for this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Time_pants posted:

Of course, he used StarCraft as an example, citing that, while being able to only select 12 units at a time was a limitation of the design, the considerations involved in commanding, positioning, and maneuvering several 12-unit groups at once had an unintended effect of adding an additional layer of execution and strategy that made the game more skillful and interesting. When SC2 came out, that limitation no longer existed, and with nothing else really filling that role, there was no longer a significant executional component to commanding your units because you could just send them all in one big wave. What had been intended as a QoL change accidentally removed a big tactical component of gameplay.

How can anyone consider this as a bad change? Removing pointless "max 12 units selected" just made ordering your units easier, it doesn't prevent you from doing anything you could do before, and you can focus on more strategic things instead of trying to move 13 units. This is in a game where everything is super fast and you already have enough pointless busywork. Only reason I can think of why anyone would consider this bad is that they take pride in being able to click 400 times per second and that somehow makes them better at "strategy" then plebs who want a fun game

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mu77ley posted:

Until you mentioned it, I thought it was crashing into station

fashionable space cufflinks for 150$

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

commando in tophat posted:

Only reason I can think of why anyone would consider this bad is that they take pride in being able to click 400 times per second and that somehow makes them better at "strategy" then plebs who want a fun game
There's no mystery, it's 1000% this. Competitive RTS gaming was all about "who can APM more better".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Example: playing the D&D gold box games of the 80s, I had to use graph paper to map my progress. Was that a "feature" of the game? No, it was a concession for running a game off floppy disks into a 64K RAM space. So you dealt. It didn't make me "hardcore" or that disingenuous "when I was a kid I walked uphill both ways" bullshit that older people regularly trot out to make it sound like they have a more serious work ethic than younger folks while they killed orcs in a room their parents were paying for.

Wish they would remaster the D&D gold box games.

If you ever did Bards Tale, the remasters are fantastic. They also remastered the original Wasteland which I'm assuming is the same quality.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
They're getting into the spirit on the sub

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
Weirdly, Saltemike is on twitch now live-criticising FTR's 3.9 video. Very strange.

Considering I think FTR's latest was trying to point out some positives in 3.9 lol.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

ronmcd posted:

Weirdly, Saltemike is on twitch now live-criticising FTR's 3.9 video. Very strange.

Considering I think FTR's latest was trying to point out some positives in 3.9 lol.

Link please :v:

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/saltemike

still live, unfortunately he's moved on to something else, but FTR's EPIC drunken rant about Boredgamer at last years Citizencon was watched a few minutes ago. Which was hilarious

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

You guys are really hell bent on dicks and shoving you balls into things lately.

Lately?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

trucutru posted:

Argon Level
0.93%

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Agony Aunt posted:

The only winning move is not to play.

The only winning move is [CTRL-ESC][X][ESC][ALT-F6][C][M]

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben ever got off that couch?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
grilled cheese

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Corn. Crobbled.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr Fronts posted:

Looks like someone read the manual.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

and a different post:

:reddit: posted:

So after 3 hours of trying i officially escaped the prison. i.redd.it

quote:

Welcome to the outside world! Now be honest, how many times did you fall.

-13 points (op) posted:

Scratch that, got out, a friend picked me up, got all the way to grim hex to buy a key. Server collapsed and back to prison, gently caress this im not doing that again, I falled over 100 times and it was not a pleasant experience.

I did not like the prison gameplay one bit.

My sentence is way too long in human hours I mean 14 hours of my life? Wtf is wrong with this game.

quote:

Because you’re not supposed to just sit there and afk lol. Go mine your time off, criminal scum!

Also if the sentence wasn’t long it would serve no purpose. Why would they make a prison you WANT to go back to?

quote:

its honestly a bit surprising how many players are complaining that prison "isn't fun". Prison is supposed to be a punishment, it's the whole reason criminal missions pay so well.

star citizen: it's not meant to be fun

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

While rubbing

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:reddit: posted:

I feel ya, with crashes and players getting bounties for things that technically shouldn't warrant it, it's tough. I went a little gun ho the other day when it spawned me in the prison with my weapons, racked up a 21 hour bounty. Was about to put SC down til the next day when my dad said he was going to be on later. I worked that 21 hours off in about 3 hours of mining just in time to play with him. What I took away from the long prison time was how not fun it was, and how I didn't want to be stuck in there, like them real prisons.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

peter gabriel posted:

grilled cheese

You remember!

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Anyone else remember those game manuals that mentioned stuff that didn't make it into the final game? Star Citizen's would be hundreds of pages of that.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Wait do the prison sentences only tick down if you're logged in?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Inacio posted:

and a different post:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:v: Nice. I leveled up twice in FFVII, then walked out the front door.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Anticheese posted:

Harsh consequences are something we all desire, remember. Don’t forget, a backer once explicitly asked for rape to be added to the game. “Nothing too graphic, just a short cutscene to depict your character being sexually defiled” was his original pitch. He meant when you get boarded by pirates, but this gameplay loop could very easily be added to the prison scenario. Make the guards romancable, while we’re spitballing. The possibilities are endless!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I really appreciate the total cancellation of momentum on the second ship here. Also the way the entire server kind of visibly hiccups the second it has to calculate two things interacting. Not a gigantic red flag at all

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Also the way the entire server kind of visibly hiccups the second it has to calculate two things interacting. Not a gigantic red flag at all

:eng101: it's probably not the server hiccuping, just the client - if i had to guess they're loading the effects/models for the explosion synchronously and something in there is so wrong that it takes more than 16ms for it to finish :eng101:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

and a different post:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The thing these people seem to forget is that while prison isn't meant to be fun, the game itself is meant to be fun.

By all means, have prison as a kind of deterrent and a way to keep criminal players away from other players (for some time), but at least have the activities in prison fun to engage in. Like... how about a deathmatch against other prison inmates to win your freedom. The deathmatch is broadcast throughout the stimpire... i mean 'verse, for the entertainment of the population.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I really appreciate the total cancellation of momentum on the second ship here. Also the way the entire server kind of visibly hiccups the second it has to calculate two things interacting. Not a gigantic red flag at all

"Look, game," murmurs Chris Roberts, as he paws his waving, greasy hands over a computer screen displaying a basic GPU benchmarking tool. "Game..." he repeats, a glistening steam of drool dangling from his lower lip. As he does so, thousands of damaged individuals simultaneously open their wallets, about to make history. Only not the way they think.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anticheese posted:

Nah, they considered it but in the end they went for offline timer.

I mean, either way there are issues. One way you're basically saying to players "you will endure your punishment" which will turn people off playing altogether and the other way is "stop playing while you are being punished" which really isn't a punishment at all as long as your entire life isn't Star Citizen.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So much effort went into "prison gameplay" and it only exists to bore players so they avoid it next time. In ED, you just pay your bounties and fines before you're released from special station.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah, it's yet another instance of grognards confusing real life for what the purpose of a game is.

I mean, the prison doesn't necessarily have to be 'fun' in the strictest sense, but you shouldn't dread a return to it. Games can be fun, scary, entertaining, sad, thought-provoking, whatever. It should at least provoke some sort of emotion.
If the end result of some 'gameplay' is that all it does is make you hate the game, then maybe consider not having that in the game?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, it's yet another instance of grognards confusing real life for what the purpose of a game is.

I mean, the prison doesn't necessarily have to be 'fun' in the strictest sense, but you shouldn't dread a return to it. Games can be fun, scary, entertaining, sad, thought-provoking, whatever. It should at least provoke some sort of emotion.
If the end result of some 'gameplay' is that all it does is make you hate the game, then maybe consider not having that in the game?

They're also missing the point that the "prison gameplay" is in because CIG can't do anything else. They're too inept to make a space game, a shooter game, a combined arms game, a PVP game, a PVE game, a single-player game, a multiplayer game; you name it, and CIG can't do it. So they put together what they can do - empty unfun broken poo poo, and they call it "prison" so their backers will defend the inherent unfun-ness as part of the design.

There's no overture too obvious and no narrative switch too transparent for backers to turn on a dime to adopt it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah , they said “what can we actually do with the assets we have?” and the answer was “lock people in a featureless cave”. Some junior probably said “poo poo, that sounds like prison lol” and he got promoted to lead gameplay designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Torquemada posted:

Yeah , they said “what can we actually do with the assets we have?” and the answer was “lock people in a featureless cave”. Some junior probably said “poo poo, that sounds like prison lol” and he got promoted to lead gameplay designer.

That's pretty much CIG 2020. I'm sure the Calders are taking out their own loans now just to maximize their upcoming reinvestment in CIG because they're such savvy investors and CIG is such a sure bet.