Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CCKeane posted:

This post feels pretty bad to me and I think that CapnAndy is my current pick for scum. The tone here feels strange and not conducive to sussing out scumminess, but to try to convince through mockery - I bolded some stuff that seems off, here. Like, the tone is very much directed at TT, with some sort of vibe of "look at this rear end in a top hat, amirite!" with a wink toward everybody else. I don't like it! It feels more geared to getting reactions than being persuasive!

##vote CapnAndy

I saw all the things you were talking about with Andy in this post, but I just read it as Andy sort of playing into the joke about a mega wall of text vote like that on Day 1. None of his other posts have any of the snark despite him sticking to his guns. Andy is good in my book.

On the other hand, this looks like you just found a post to vote and sat on it. You have said more about how you are good with voting Andy than anything Andy has posted other than this one post.

I'm good voting you right now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Voodoofly posted:

I saw all the things you were talking about with Andy in this post, but I just read it as Andy sort of playing into the joke about a mega wall of text vote like that on Day 1. None of his other posts have any of the snark despite him sticking to his guns. Andy is good in my book.

On the other hand, this looks like you just found a post to vote and sat on it. You have said more about how you are good with voting Andy than anything Andy has posted other than this one post.

I'm good voting you right now as well.

I posted that, and then had one (1) post where I say I prefer voting CapnAndy over hambeer in response to a discussion I had with yuming.

This is made up.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Going through Voodooflys game list:

Voodooflys getting married mafia (town):

quote:

You know I want to vote for a lurker. It is just too early for there to be a lurker yet, so I must look elsewhere.

But, do not think my "I like random" was simply a sly reference to the larger Coen Brother's themes. My lurker votes are an extension in my fundamental beliefs in embracing the randomness in your favor.

Writers Block mafia (Town), regarding voting lurkers:

quote:

I still like to give them at least half the game day to show up.

Plus, there isn't much discussion I can generate right now by saying I want to lynch Polarbear since he isn't posting. Lynching lurkers was always a "if I can't decide based on scumminess, I'll use other metrics to pick a lynch, such as who I think will hurt the town the most in LYLO."

Seems different than your thoughts today, although these did happen a decade ago so.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Would you like to explain why you are behaving differently today than in previous game?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

What’s a meta with you?

Not much man, what’s a meta with YOU?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

##petgive tokes

casing someone based on how their logic worked ten years ago is a level of mafia play I can only wish to attain

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

hambeet posted:

What’s a meta with you?

##petgive hambeet

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

hambeet posted:

What’s a meta with you?

I respect this joke.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Deadbeat Dad posted:

What did I back off of lol

So I think you spent a lot of effort, more than on anything else in fact, backpedaling off of various things you said. This concerns me because it reminds me of behavior from the past, which I'd have to go digging through old games to source, and I'm not an insane person like CCK who just did that with Voodoofly. You essentially did a re-read of yourself and "fixed" all your posts, which isn't something I feel like town would do.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Would also vote MiR, yuming, or anybody else who tried to make something big out of the vig shot being a "scum power/thing". Scum usually need something to sink their teeth into content wise on D1 and that was a perfect opportunity to sow confusion. I'm willing to give Amni the benefit of the doubt until some other stuff happens, or.. hell... if his posting was too scummy to ignore, I wouldn't even factor in the vig as something that should be "points" for his town. But he just seems like every other D1 vig that hit or missed.

I categorically did not call the vig shot "being a "scum power/thing"", let alone "make something big out of" it. I am reading Amni relatively townie at this point, to be blunt. If you want to call out people for this specific behavior, there are better targets than myself & yuming, so it's really interesting that those are the names you chose.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Voodoofly posted:

I'm swapping over to kid care at 1:00, so probably way less posting until he is down. .

Here is where I am:

Posts like this always scream scum to me. It's primarily white noise non-opinions disguised as ~*~CoNtEnT~*~

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm good with lunching Liger if not for anything else but that they continue to shitpost instead of play a game where they're at the center of attention

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Okay this is some real tinfoil hat poo poo but you know what's funny? I remember reading some old games of mine and in one game where we Scum Perfected I wrote "mea culpa" as some apology to someone, and for some reason that has always stuck out for me because it felt really forced and weird for me to use that phrase. I don't know why I used it, and I remember that 9 years later.

In this game alone...

Ya'll, what if scum all have to write mea culpa to fulfill some sort of prophecy........

(i'm only half serious :tinfoil:)

##mea culpa DBD

Good game, suckers.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm sure glad everyone's looking at a bunch of content and important cases and just going "OH WELL reading is hard" way to go folks.

Let me give you a shoulder massage, I wouldn't want you to hurt anything patting yourself on the back so hard

Andy was right, your 'case' was full of filler

Being straight to the point and talking about players' behavior is pro-town

Talking in circles and theorizing about intentions is anti-town

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

yuming posted:

I have been feeling a bit smad (sad and mad) about the reality of my husband not being able to attend my 20 week ultrasound next week, actually!

Still, I am enjoying the variety of players this game. :sparkles:

##vote yuming's baby for lurking

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

merk posted:

Talking generally about whether a scum dayvig might exist in a game us content scum would make. Analyzing why a person took an action with a role and looking at that intent is how town would play.

:yeah:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Amnistar posted:

Still think it's wierd you think I lied about why I shot steak and that somehow makes me townie.

I mostly agree with zzyzx here, I think you would have played it off as being a superstar if he flipped scum, and your continued insistence that you shot someone you didn't inherently think was scum is odd

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

vivat virtute posted:

So I think you spent a lot of effort, more than on anything else in fact, backpedaling off of various things you said. This concerns me because it reminds me of behavior from the past, which I'd have to go digging through old games to source, and I'm not an insane person like CCK who just did that with Voodoofly. You essentially did a re-read of yourself and "fixed" all your posts, which isn't something I feel like town would do.

I categorically did not call the vig shot "being a "scum power/thing"", let alone "make something big out of" it. I am reading Amni relatively townie at this point, to be blunt. If you want to call out people for this specific behavior, there are better targets than myself & yuming, so it's really interesting that those are the names you chose.

The CC stands for Crazy Crazy.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

CCKeane posted:

Going through Voodooflys game list:

Voodooflys getting married mafia (town):

Writers Block mafia (Town), regarding voting lurkers:

Seems different than your thoughts today, although these did happen a decade ago so.

This is wild to me that someone would go through someone else's games to find this. I just don't have that kind of drive.

vivat virtute posted:

If this is how you feel, then how do you feel about Tom going back and forth on Lord Nad? (That is to say. Makes a big case. Lord Nad megaposts defends it. Tom invotes because it feels genuine. Then some people vote for Lord Nad, and Tom jumps back on). Is that backpeddling in your mind? Is that scummy behavior to you as well?

vivat virtute posted:

Posts like this always scream scum to me. It's primarily white noise non-opinions disguised as ~*~CoNtEnT~*~

I feel posts about being away makes sense around a deadline. It's odd to post it in the middle of the day. It assumes that voodoofly is always looking at the thread, and that other people are as well.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Good morning from the Time Knife

As a reminder, both the lynch and the Pet are due tonight!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

vivat virtute posted:

I mostly agree with zzyzx here, I think you would have played it off as being a superstar if he flipped scum, and your continued insistence that you shot someone you didn't inherently think was scum is odd

Then you *don't* agree with zzyzx. Zzyzx is claiming the fact that I'm arguing that I wasn't shooting to hit scum is a townie thing and not odd.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think it's really scummy that CCKeane spent time reviewing decades old Voodoofly games to build a meta case instead of spending time in the thread to hunt scum.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

I think it's really scummy that CCKeane spent time reviewing decades old Voodoofly games to build a meta case instead of spending time in the thread to hunt scum.

I was following up on Voodoofly being dodgy when I pressed him on it.

Voodoofly posted:

How many games have you played with me???

Voodoofly posted:

Every game I've ever played in, regardless of alignment?

https://votefinder.org/player/voodoofly I don't remember what I was in any of the games listed here, or any of the games you might find before votecounter recorded them, but I'm pretty positive you would find it in any of them.

Voodoofly kept dodging my questions about how he felt a lurker execution would help town. He claimed a meta defense, and I went in to verify, found a discrepancy, and followed up.

Do you have comments on the case itself?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I was following up on Voodoofly being dodgy when I pressed him on it.

Voodoofly kept dodging my questions about how he felt a lurker execution would help town. He claimed a meta defense, and I went in to verify, found a discrepancy, and followed up.

Do you have comments on the case itself?

I think Voodoofly seems scummy but haven't figured out why. It's d1 gut.

I'm not going to mine out decades old games to evaluate your case. I think your case, on its face, is scummy because of how you made it when there's pages of content here.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

That said, I accidentally grabbed the oldest games on votefinder and not the most recent, so I'm going to check again.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

I think Voodoofly seems scummy but haven't figured out why. It's d1 gut.

I'm not going to mine out decades old games to evaluate your case. I think your case, on its face, is scummy because of how you made it when there's pages of content here.

I think it's incredibly reasonable to challenge a meta defense with meta, and if you disagree I don't know what to tell you.'

Addditionally, and relevant here, is that Voodoofly's games, on votefinder, are all very old - the most recent is from 2012, c'mon man.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

hambeet posted:

eh, you do you and play to your win condition.
Is this a call on my alignment or ? ? ?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Here's from Voodoofly's most recent town game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475544&userid=29122&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I haven't done a full look in yet - I have to leave fairly soon, but there isn't the anti lurker stuff Voodoofly is promoting as a meta defense.

A big thing here is Voodoofly promoted executions, and when asked how it'd benefit town, instead of providing a reason, dodged to a meta defense. That meta defense doesn't exist. It isn't accurate.

So Voodoofly pushed an execution with no reason.

Please point out where I'm mistaken. You can call me scum if you want, just show me where I am wrong.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

vivat virtute posted:

Let me give you a shoulder massage, I wouldn't want you to hurt anything patting yourself on the back so hard

Andy was right, your 'case' was full of filler

Being straight to the point and talking about players' behavior is pro-town

Talking in circles and theorizing about intentions is anti-town

Separating behavior from intentions is the fastest way to talk about everything and say absolutely nothing.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yuming posted:

Is this a call on my alignment or ? ? ?

not at all.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CCKeane posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475544&userid=29122&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I haven't done a full look in yet - I have to leave fairly soon, but there isn't the anti lurker stuff Voodoofly is promoting as a meta defense.

A big thing here is Voodoofly promoted executions, and when asked how it'd benefit town, instead of providing a reason, dodged to a meta defense. That meta defense doesn't exist. It isn't accurate.

Please point out where I'm mistaken. You can call me scum if you want, just show me where I am wrong.

merk's got a point

i can barely be bothered reading some of the mega posts in this thread, let a lone casing someone for past games.

cray cray indeed.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tom Tucker posted:

Separating behavior from intentions is the fastest way to talk about everything and say absolutely nothing.

Two people bickering back and forth about a third party is purely a show and not actual investigation

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

CCKeane posted:

That said, I accidentally grabbed the oldest games on votefinder and not the most recent, so I'm going to check again.

There's three years of games before votefinder was used. You should check those out too. Voodoo started playing in 2007.

(I don't see why people (CCKeane) would do this).

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

CCKeane posted:

Clearly you need to also look at scum games to see if there is a difference there. You are giving us incomplete results.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

vivat virtute posted:

##vote yuming's baby for lurking
Rude!

I had a bit of a weird feeling about DBD after his and your early interaction, which is why I asked him specifically for reads.

vivat virtute posted:

I agree with this take.

As with hambeet, I am suspicious of posters who blanket call the votes on Amni bad. The way Amni whipped out the kill was scummy to me, and once Amni explained he thought the wording was funny and that he wrote in his confessional about using it too soon I thought it sounded more like Town Amni Thing. But when he first fired it off it fit my profile of scum Amni.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You know... I'm trying to think if it's inherently scummier to do what Varinn did which was come out strongly against it, or for someone to immediately latch onto it, aka yuming, regardless of her switch afterwards. I'm actually leaning more towards yuming now just because scum creating a case that I think isn't entirely strong would be pretty see through and silly to do and I think Varinn is better than that. I still don't like it though.

Also the vote on hambeet is a bit weak for a yuming vote, imo. It reads more OMGUS than she's letting on since hambeet did call yuming out for making "bad posts", and yuming being nitpicky with the wording hambeet used in the post she quoted just seems... like a weak case. I didn't see anything wrong with that wording, and I actually agree with it 100%.

##unvote
##vote yuming

I will not vote Liger.
So to DBD I am:
-jumping on something easy
-OMGUS
-not playing to my Town standard

Like, I don't think scum would see Amni fire the kill and go "ah yes perfect, I am going to get Amni killed for Killing a Town!" I am again obv biased to my own perspective, but I think scum are much likelier to comment on the votes ON AMNI being bad because THAT is the true safe-scum entrance point to the thread.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am trying to imagine in what universe a town keane points to posts from 8 years ago and genuinely wonders why someone posts differently now

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
##unvote
I'm feeling better about hambeet now.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

kumba posted:

i am trying to imagine in what universe a town keane points to posts from 8 years ago and genuinely wonders why someone posts differently now
I could see it! I personally like meta, but I don't really get much out of games I wasn't actually in.

I see it as Keane engaging in merk's gut read which is fair.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

kumba posted:

I could see myself as town going through the post histories if I was manic enough and had archives. But it's hard to conclude that people don't change in 8 years.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
going back and reading it in context with voodoo's posts i feel better about it. personally, i agree with merk here and cannot fathom digging into decades old posts instead of just analyzing this thread but to each their own i guess

it seems 'wrong' to me but that doesn't make it scummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Token Female posted:

I could see myself as town going through the post histories if I was manic enough and had archives. But it's hard to conclude that people don't change in 8 years.

I specifically mention this and, importantly, Voodooflys cites his meta, the most recent of which is 8 years ago.

Like, this is how I see things are going:

-Voodoofly advocates a lurker execution
-I ask him to defend it
-Voodoofly cites 8 year old meta
-I check 8 year old meta and see an inconsistency

So we're all in agreement this is what happened, right?

But what I don't get is why citing 8 year old meta, implying your thoughts haven't changed, is okay, but checking that 8 year old meta is wrong.

I'm going to throw out a hypothesis here, Voodooflys remembers his town meta was to go after lurkers, and is trying to go after lurkers to keep with his town meta.