Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

CCKeane posted:

I'm too lazy to go back, do you think Capn Andy is scum or not?

Nah he seems cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

CCKeane posted:

Has anything Ham has said or done since changed or reinforced your take?
The dislike of lurker kills is null and ham posts a lot about it. I also disagree, I would rather kill a useless deadweight player than someone who is participating and I don’t read as scum.

Ham spends a few posts talking about their style of needing to engage with posters to get into the game, and that I have called ham scum in previous games. That I do remember, I remember having a hard time reading, if I’m remembering correctly when ham started playing, most of the Auspol mafia style players.

Still, my overall take is I’m sticking with my call of ham as scummy. First he calls me more town than not because of my meta incorrect reads on ham in the past. Then following Toms post ham gets all sarcastic about how it’s sooooo town of Tom and I to “kneejerk” call him scum after he called us out.

So does he think I’m town or scum? Or is ham just leaving to door open to vote wherever is strategic in the future? That the underlying problem I have: ham is not going on the record, and to me it seems like he is strategically engaging in the game.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm sure glad everyone's looking at a bunch of content and important cases and just going "OH WELL reading is hard" way to go folks.

what?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

yuming posted:

The dislike of lurker kills is null and ham posts a lot about it. I also disagree, I would rather kill a useless deadweight player than someone who is participating and I don’t read as scum.

Ham spends a few posts talking about their style of needing to engage with posters to get into the game, and that I have called ham scum in previous games. That I do remember, I remember having a hard time reading, if I’m remembering correctly when ham started playing, most of the Auspol mafia style players.

Still, my overall take is I’m sticking with my call of ham as scummy. First he calls me more town than not because of my meta incorrect reads on ham in the past. Then following Toms post ham gets all sarcastic about how it’s sooooo town of Tom and I to “kneejerk” call him scum after he called us out.

So does he think I’m town or scum? Or is ham just leaving to door open to vote wherever is strategic in the future? That the underlying problem I have: ham is not going on the record, and to me it seems like he is strategically engaging in the game.

I see where you're coming from now, thanks for clarifying! I think I agree, although I feel stronger about CapnAndy right now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yuming posted:

Still, my overall take is I’m sticking with my call of ham as scummy. First he calls me more town than not because of my meta incorrect reads on ham in the past.

actually, i think you'll find that i said i didn't find it necessarily scummy, which isn't the same as calling you town, and i clearly said overall it was a null tell. so no, that's not the same as calling you "more town than not".

quote:

Then following Toms post ham gets all sarcastic about how it’s sooooo town of Tom and I to “kneejerk” call him scum after he called us out.

there have been further interactions involving you and others since the first post about it, so i incorporate new information and adjust my thoughts and opinions as i go.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The most suspicious thing about yuming right now is the lack of :sparkles: and :sun: in her posts. Only 3 in 13 posts? Are you feeling ok?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jose Valasquez posted:

The most suspicious thing about yuming right now is the lack of :sparkles: and :sun: in her posts. Only 3 in 13 posts? Are you feeling ok?

This is a compelling case.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Jose Valasquez posted:

I have been feeling a bit smad (sad and mad) about the reality of my husband not being able to attend my 20 week ultrasound next week, actually!

Still, I am enjoying the variety of players this game. :sparkles:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh that sucks. sorry to hear that.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but before that i was genuinely going to post

##petgive yuming
##petgive tom tucker

because beet works in mysterious ways.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

hambeet posted:

oh that sucks. sorry to hear that.
I am sorry if I am doomed to repeat history and read you as scum for your play style after ?1 or 2 years.

I do stand by my read, but still.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Khris Kruel posted:

Varinn:

I mentioned merk because his dumb vote on me was calling my case fake, without addressing the person I was voting. It was just a drive by vote without even mentioning the person I was voting with my case.

That's why I found it suspicious.

You may want to put on your reading glasses and give those posts another try. Also, you can stop calling people stupid. It’ll help you out in life.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920648&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post504616000

On mobile. Dumb awful app had me in the wrong game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would like a pet but only if it can feel love and isn’t a simulacra, please and thank you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I do not want a pet because it probably means I’d get nightkilled quicker.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

well it WAS my birthday yesterday. but i find campaigning for a gift to be gauche.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

merk posted:

##petgive Token thank you for Harry Potter mafia.
Also I agree with this, ##PetGive Tokes, thanks for HP mafia, here’s a dog.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

If you'd asked me prior to posting this, I would have said I wasn't sure if you were scum but it seemed like a good d1 vote. This case is bad enough that I feel better about that now.

LIGER posted:

this was after he piggybacked to vote me and tom tucker said he townread me/thought the votes on me were suspect. weirdly defensive when no votes are going lordnad/jivjovs/etc way yet.

This was the first post in the game that called any attention to your vote. It's not piggybacking off of anything, and I get to take all the credit if you flip scum. Tom's post was funny because he'd made a set of nesting dolls out of "voters of opportunity" that could be continued indefinitely, so I made fun of that.

LIGER posted:

he still is trying to paint amnis action as scummy, and is putting words in his mouth. what if steak flips scum and amni still says it was for a laff? thats exactly how i would have gone with it (and i absolutely would have popped off first chance day one, don't ever give me vig powers)

continuing to push on amni. hes not voting there though, is it because he doesnt see a path there? the do better line bothers me.

I've been pretty clear about saying I thought Amni was town. If town, he's also not a very good day-vig, because you're supposed to point the gun at the bad guys. Nothing very complicated about it.

LIGER posted:

i dont even know whats going on in this post, khris kruel please do not share your edibles midmafia.

I told DBD his logic in criticizing Varinn's case sounded off, and he responded to that later. Pasting a quote of mine, saying you don't know what's going on, and then stopping isn't an argument, or a read, or an opinion, or anything useful. It's a non-entity that's clearly thrown in there for the purpose of making your post look longer.

LIGER posted:

he's still on this one

hes saying tht my posts are retroactively jokes, as opposed to being jokes when they were first posted?

i think we have something here.

Your posts were scummy and I doubt you made them expecting to get called on it as quickly as you did, which I'm sure changed the trajectory of peoples' reactions and your defenses. I've thought they were scummy pretty consistently. I'm either right about that, or I'm not.

LIGER posted:

also weird shots at merk trying to cast doubt on his credibility (due to...inactivity? omgus? i dont know.)

merk's votes sucked for reasons stated, and he's a good pick for scum. If you want to actually engage the argument about why they sucked, go for it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My vote is great and I am great.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Talking generally about whether a scum dayvig might exist in a game us content scum would make. Analyzing why a person took an action with a role and looking at that intent is how town would play.

There’s the difference and what I focused on.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

merk posted:

I do not want a pet because it probably means I’d get nightkilled quicker.

Please, you'll be dead by D4 regardless.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Also I agree with this, ##PetGive Tokes, thanks for HP mafia, here’s a dog.

I'll jump on this one.

##petgive Tokes

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

merk posted:

Talking generally about whether a scum dayvig might exist in a game us content scum would make. Analyzing why a person took an action with a role and looking at that intent is how town would play.

Who the day-vig shoots makes no difference beyond their alignment and whether they had a power role or not.

Assuming that your distinction is the correct one, sure, maybe we could find an example of a player analyzing an individual and why they might have re/acted a particular way.

a very smart, handsome townie posted:

Amni probably saw Steak say something mildly awkward and thought, "If I get a hit here, it'll be the next big mafia instagram moment and we'll all laugh and I'll be very popular."

But then he missed like a doofus, and probably had to play off the fact that he's kind of embarrassed by it. Just a...yes, a joke! I meant to do that all along, guys.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Still think it's wierd you think I lied about why I shot steak and that somehow makes me townie.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
##petgive Tokes

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

Still think it's wierd you think I lied about why I shot steak and that somehow makes me townie.

You make it sound like I think this is some horrible thing you did. I don't, really - most townies in that spot probably react similarly. Most townies who make mistakes generally, make excuses for those mistakes. I was happy to leave it at that, but then you went and voted for me too, like an over-eager beaver.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Amnistar posted:

Merk commented on this but I don't think anyone else really did. Is this not a wierd take?

I can understand "I think amni is town and blew his load early"

and I can understand "I think amni is scum pretending to blow his load early"

but why is your response "I think amni though steak was scum and was hoping to catch them but didn't and now is embarassed and lying and pretending to blow his load early."?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

zzyzx posted:

Who the day-vig shoots makes no difference beyond their alignment and whether they had a power role or not.

We can agree to disagree.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Really sorry guys, a family emergency happened in the last couple days, I'll try to catch up and do something real before deadline, but I'm notoriously terrible at day 1 reads so I probably wont instantly solve the game when I catch up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
##petgive zzyzx

You posted a muppet treasure island song for me, this is repayment for that joy. Thanks for that :)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

yuming posted:

I have been feeling a bit smad (sad and mad) about the reality of my husband not being able to attend my 20 week ultrasound next week, actually!

Still, I am enjoying the variety of players this game. :sparkles:

Saw this catching up.

##petgive yuming for real sorry to hear that. I remember how stressful all those were even without everything else going on. Thinking good thoughts for all of you.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

50 pounds of bread posted:

Really sorry guys, a family emergency happened in the last couple days, I'll try to catch up and do something real before deadline, but I'm notoriously terrible at day 1 reads so I probably wont instantly solve the game when I catch up.

##unvote

Sorry 50 hope all is well

(also are you in bay area? Were you ever? If so and there is anything I can do let me know, even if its just drop something off for you guys).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

50 pounds of bread posted:

you can also PM me if I can help in any way and don't want to talk about it in here.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

vivat virtute posted:

##unvote

I was conflating zzyzx with some other posts about Amni. I hosed up, mea culpa.

##vote vivat prod vote

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Amnistar posted:

Merk commented on this but I don't think anyone else really did. Is this not a wierd take?

but why is your response "I think amni though steak was scum and was hoping to catch them but didn't and now is embarassed and lying and pretending to blow his load early."?

No, you have a good point on zzyzx here. I think Nad's vote was worse, and I'm still waiting to hear his response on the whole "it would be fine if liger joke voted just four posts earlier" thing, but I'm going to go back over zzyzx next now that it seems like we actually do have a pretty good day one contingent other than people who have said they are gone.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yuming posted:

I am sorry if I am doomed to repeat history and read you as scum for your play style after ?1 or 2 years.

I do stand by my read, but still.

eh, you do you and play to your win condition.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Amnistar posted:

So going back over this I don't think there is anything here. He says he thinks your town, but you are lying about why you shot Steak. At first I was reading all his posts thinking he was trying to make something out on you and was all ready to swap over, until I realized he was voting Liger the whole time.

I think you shot because it was funny. I don't think your shot says anything about your alignment, I just think you would be a horrible lynch candidate. Someone claiming you have to be town I think is naive but not necessarily scummy, but I don't think that zzyzx claiming you are town and also saying you lied about your motivation is anything special.

But also fork you because now I have to read merk's case.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

merk posted:

merk posted:

My issue with the little stuff I’ve read is people discounting a scum day vig shooting d1 generally without mining into the context of who he shot at all. KK, in particular, has the fakest read. ##vote KK

I think you are assuming all of us know who the hell Steak was. I didn't, and I think I'm not alone in being an old player coming back. KK flat out said he had no idea who Steak was as well.

That said, you made me reread KK. I was focused on his "liger isn't saying anything even at this point" rationale earlier, which I agreed with. But the initial vote itself on Liger despite knowing Liger was joking is crap, at least as bad as Nad's, and he hasn't posted much else since other than the last post I mentioned. I think I'm fine voting KK right now, but basically for the opposite reason you are.

Reading zzyzx again because I don't think the amni stuff means anything but he also has the vote on Liger I need to look at.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I don't want to vote zzyzx. Call it gut or whatever despite him basically having the same vote on Liger that KK and Nad do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CCKeane posted:

Can you give me some games where you've gone after lurkers aggressively on day one as town? I can't remember because who even knows what day it is anymore, really.

Every game I've ever played in, regardless of alignment?

https://votefinder.org/player/voodoofly I don't remember what I was in any of the games listed here, or any of the games you might find before votecounter recorded them, but I'm pretty positive you would find it in any of them.