Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Drink enough of the crappy beer at the Hub and they'll all look like babes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Note that on the street outside Hub is also an option now. I mean it always was but it's now also the cool thing to do.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Note that on the street outside Hub is also an option now. I mean it always was but it's now also the cool thing to do.

Introducing that move I saw many times in non-smoking parts during college, share a smoke outside and chat her up.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

cool cool i'm going back to planning my next trip

guys whats a good place to eat in tokyo and how do i pick up japanese babes???

Abroad in Japan recently covered some restaurant in Nakano that's run by the fishermen who catch the seafood they serve. It could be interesting. http://uotaniya.fishermanjapan.com/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

cool cool i'm going back to planning my next trip

guys whats a good place to eat in tokyo and how do i pick up japanese babes???

In all seriousness, I'd look into getting a reservation at Den's. You might be able to get a hold of them to make a reservation.

https://www.jimbochoden.com/en/

edit:

Bofast posted:

Abroad in Japan recently covered some restaurant in Nakano that's run by the fishermen who catch the seafood they serve. It could be interesting. http://uotaniya.fishermanjapan.com/

Oof, the story right after the fisherman about Ichiyo. :smith:

.Z. fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 22, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was 100% joking but I'm also 100% totally down to re-rail the thread into fun stuff to do that I haven't tried before.

On the food front, that is. I can't afford to have a girlfriend AND travel.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I was 100% joking but I'm also 100% totally down to re-rail the thread into fun stuff to do that I haven't tried before.

On the food front, that is. I can't afford to have a girlfriend AND travel.

You're not doing Japan right if you don't find an older woman to shack up first night with and cancel the rest of your hotel reservation to save money

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

You're not doing Japan right if you don't find an older woman to shack up first night with and cancel the rest of your hotel reservation to save money

I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Martytoof posted:

I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time :(

:same:

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Stop trying to make this a thing. Was convenient for finding you though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Holy poo poo y'all are still going to the hub during this?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

Stop trying to make this a thing. Was convenient for finding you though.

You say this as if you didn't come by often.

Stringent posted:

Holy poo poo y'all are still going to the hub during this?

Aren't they still closed or did they open back up.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah I didn't know they closed, haven't been to any since the end of Feb.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Oof, the story right after the fisherman about Ichiyo. :smith:

Much sadness, indeed :smith:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Figured I should crosspost in here from the iPhone thread since you'll all know plenty about the SuicaEng app

To see if it fixes a few OS bugs I've been having, I wiped my iPhone and set it up as a new device rather than restore from a backup. I had used the SuicaEng app to add a virtual Suica Card to Wallet, but obviously that's gone now. I'm guessing the answer is "no" but short of running through a full restore process to find some kind of unique ID for the card and then wiping again, is there any way to get that back since it would be tied to my Apple ID somehow?

I don't imagine there's loads of cash on it but it would be nice to have for my next trip.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah my understanding was that it was parked with your AppleID so it would be a simple matter of just going to your Wallet and it should show as being available to add. Now when I did it SuicaEng wasn't a thing so I had to do it with the proper Suica app -- maybe that's the distinction because it absolutely worked when I moved from my iPhone8 to my XS. I didn't restore from backup but I can't imagine that

https://atadistance.net/2017/11/07/lost-iphone-recover-your-apple-pay-suica/ -- not exactly the same since it's for a "lost" iphone but gist is there.

Actually here it says to set your region to Japan -- maybe try that and see if it becomes available to add in Wallet?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
So, I applied to some jobs in my field in Tokyo on a whim and got an interview in chuo city. We're still in the very early stages, but it's exciting to think about. I know how accommodating Tokyo is for foreigners, but are there any areas in particular with strong expat communities?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Takadanobaba.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Macaroni Surprise posted:

So, I applied to some jobs in my field in Tokyo on a whim and got an interview in chuo city. We're still in the very early stages, but it's exciting to think about. I know how accommodating Tokyo is for foreigners, but are there any areas in particular with strong expat communities?

Tokyo is fine and is a great place. Don't know your history with living overseas or what, but not everyone likes or can deal with living overseas or where you're a minority and it's worth keeping that in mind if, for example, you're an American that's never lived overseas. Keep that in mind if/when you look for information and find idiots freaking out about how Tokyo is a hellhole.

The bigger western expat areas are the wealthier eras which are also where most of the diplomats live; Azabu-juuban, Hiroo, Roppongi, and that area. But I would not worry about seeking out an expat area in specific.

Edit: Stringent lives in Takadanobaba so it's best avoided

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
This would be my first time living overseas so I'm fully expecting many challenges. Ironically the job position is counseling expats, so in addition to the normal challenges I'll have countertransference from others struggling with homesickness and other expat issues.

It's an interesting opportunity, and I think it's happening at a good time in my life. If it's happening. I'll know more in a week.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Out of curiosity how can you possibly be expected to council people to adjust to a place you haven't lived in?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Same way I treat heroin addicts without being one myself: Forming a human connection in a professional setting, building trust, then using whatever clinical approach is most appropriate to the patient's needs. I imagine my typical client will primarily have depression, anxiety, or substance use problems which are exacerbated by living abroad, and that living abroad will not necessarily be the biggest issue someone has.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

depression, anxiety, or substance use problems which are exacerbated by living abroad

r/japanlife

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Also complete lack of basic life skills compounded by language barrier.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Same way I treat heroin addicts without being one myself: Forming a human connection in a professional setting, building trust, then using whatever clinical approach is most appropriate to the patient's needs. I imagine my typical client will primarily have depression, anxiety, or substance use problems which are exacerbated by living abroad, and that living abroad will not necessarily be the biggest issue someone has.

Ah ok. Yeah, Roppongi or Azabu is definitely what you're looking for.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Martytoof posted:

Yeah my understanding was that it was parked with your AppleID so it would be a simple matter of just going to your Wallet and it should show as being available to add. Now when I did it SuicaEng wasn't a thing so I had to do it with the proper Suica app -- maybe that's the distinction because it absolutely worked when I moved from my iPhone8 to my XS. I didn't restore from backup but I can't imagine that

https://atadistance.net/2017/11/07/lost-iphone-recover-your-apple-pay-suica/ -- not exactly the same since it's for a "lost" iphone but gist is there.

Actually here it says to set your region to Japan -- maybe try that and see if it becomes available to add in Wallet?
Setting the region to Japan got it - thanks!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm curious, is "go back to your country" a valid treatment? Or is culture shock just some label that people use for a variety of poo poo.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
May depend on if this is a corporate contract counselling thing or not. Apparently turnover after expat assignments is huge (they were upfront about this when I did my "expat" thing in Singapore) so companies are always looking to head that of with training and counselling, but if that's deal then they'd probably not want their contracted counselors to say that they should give up their jobs there and go home.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

May depend on if this is a corporate contract counselling thing or not. Apparently turnover after expat assignments is huge (they were upfront about this when I did my "expat" thing in Singapore) so companies are always looking to head that of with training and counselling, but if that's deal then they'd probably not want their contracted counselors to say that they should give up their jobs there and go home.

After as much research as Google will allow, EAP programs appear pretty common. I'd love to know more if anyone has experience.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

After as much research as Google will allow, EAP programs appear pretty common. I'd love to know more if anyone has experience.

Yeah I actually rather presumed that's probably what you were coming over for because it's common in the major expat cities in Asia and where a relative lot of money gets thrown around (for wealthy expats and their spouses), but from this comment I presume it's not? Don't know how much market there is for run-of-the-mill English counselling; just to be sure you're confident this is legit? There's occasional scammy things looking to exploit people who really want to get over to Japan as it's a destination that... certain people obsess over.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Let me put it this way: I'm happily employed, and need a really good offer for this to happen because of all the barriers. Especially with the virus.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol the alert was scarier than the earthquake

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah I actually rather presumed that's probably what you were coming over for because it's common in the major expat cities in Asia and where a relative lot of money gets thrown around (for wealthy expats and their spouses), but from this comment I presume it's not? Don't know how much market there is for run-of-the-mill English counselling; just to be sure you're confident this is legit? There's occasional scammy things looking to exploit people who really want to get over to Japan as it's a destination that... certain people obsess over.

I misspoke, and just realized it. This company does mostly EAP work, some self pay, and a takes a little insurance, but I think the insurance for mental health coverage is not very common or that this company rarely sees it.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Do you think japan will be back open to filthy tourists from America by October or should I go ahead and start rescheduling my stuff now?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's way too many variables IMO. My gut feeling is that, yes, the travel restrictions will be lifted, but even if it is open for tourism the chance of a second wave of COVID has me re-evaluating my own plans for a December trip.

:sigh: That reminds me, I was supposed to be on a flight to Japan in two days :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hokkaido already had a second wave when they opened up after their first lockdown, no? It seems very likely that it will happen in a lot of other places once they open up, as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's going to. I would not plan on being able to travel this year. Even if Japan has it under control, the US clearly will not and Japan banning travel from there seems likely.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Martytoof posted:

There's way too many variables IMO. My gut feeling is that, yes, the travel restrictions will be lifted, but even if it is open for tourism the chance of a second wave of COVID has me re-evaluating my own plans for a December trip.

:sigh: That reminds me, I was supposed to be on a flight to Japan in two days :(

Same :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Phooey. April is supposed to be pretty, maybe I'll aim for then.