Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

This was just a ploy by the vermin society to get people to surrender their guns to rats. Who knows what the world would look like if it had succeeded.

A century later, they’d be stealing elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NattGzDlLeQ

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

LifeSunDeath posted:

the only thing more terrifying than being injured in the woods alone, is being injured suspended from a tree in the woods alone.

Every heights training course I've done has informed me that thanks to improved training and regulation, more people now die from suspension trauma than ever before. If you're stuck hanging somewhere and can't get a foothold you probably have less than an hour to live. A good safety harness will have straps that can be unfurled and used to reduce the risk of losing consciousness and dying but this should never be relied upon over having access to rescue services.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 5, 2020

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

The Sausages posted:

Every heights training course I've done has informed me that thanks to improved training and regulation, more people now die from suspension trauma than ever before. If you're stuck hanging somewhere and can't get a foothold you probably have less than an hour to live. A good safety harness will have straps that can be unfurled and used to reduce the risk of losing consciousness and dying but this should never be relied upon over having access to rescue services.

This sounds like the story from WWI when after the point where steel helmets were mandated the rate of injury from shelling soared because all those people who used to outright die from getting hit in the head with shrapnel now were just getting injured. High command's initial reaction was supposedly to rescind the use of helmets to bring those rates down.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AKBNAQX.gifv
I can show you the world...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

This sounds like the story from WWI when after the point where steel helmets were mandated the rate of injury from shelling soared because all those people who used to outright die from getting hit in the head with shrapnel now were just getting injured. High command's initial reaction was supposedly to rescind the use of helmets to bring those rates down.

Injured soldiers are a big burden to a fighting force, you can just leave dead ones where they lay.

It's one of the reasons why we use such high velocity, yet smaller rounds nowadays. Injure the gently caress out of the enemy and make their comrades unable to fight because they need to tend to the wounded.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Not really. The whole 5.56 is designed to wound thing is a myth. The move towards intermediate rifle calibers was driven by realizing you didn’t need a bullet that was lethal out to 2km in modern warfare and increasing the amount of ammo the individual soldier could carry. The combat load for an American soldier carrying a garand in ww2, for example, was 80 rounds plus whatever he shoved in his pockets. That’s not even 3 magazines for an M4 / m16. The modern combat load is officially (you hear a lot about people carrying more) 210 rounds of 556 - six 30 round mags plus the one in the gun.

It extends beyond the individuals combat load too. You can ship a gently caress ton more 556 in the same space you would use for a full sized rifle round. A 500 round crate of 556 is about half the size of a 500 round crate of .30-06, for example.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

It's one of the reasons why we use such high velocity, yet smaller rounds nowadays. Injure the gently caress out of the enemy and make their comrades unable to fight because they need to tend to the wounded.

That is a bullshit myth FYI.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not really. The whole 5.56 is designed to wound thing is a myth. The move towards intermediate rifle calibers was driven by realizing you didn’t need a bullet that was lethal out to 2km in modern warfare and increasing the amount of ammo the individual soldier could carry. The combat load for an American soldier carrying a garand in ww2, for example, was 80 rounds plus whatever he shoved in his pockets. That’s not even 3 magazines for an M4 / m16. The modern combat load is officially (you hear a lot about people carrying more) 210 rounds of 556 - six 30 round mags plus the one in the gun.

It extends beyond the individuals combat load too. You can ship a gently caress ton more 556 in the same space you would use for a full sized rifle round. A 500 round crate of 556 is about half the size of a 500 round crate of .30-06, for example.

Well sure there’s that plus you’d have to aim for the canteen if you’re using .50 cal rounds and that’s not easy

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nocheez posted:

Injured soldiers are a big burden to a fighting force, you can just leave dead ones where they lay.

That's a myth and makes no sense for a few reasons.

One of the big ones is that if you win a battle, the other guy's injured soldiers are your responsibility, a "big burden to your fighting force." So unless your whole procurement system is designed with you either intending to not win battles, or to commit a series of really obvious war crimes every time you win one, you probably wouldn't choose weapons based on injured soldiers being more of a burden than dead ones.

Another one is that people do not have hit points, and that weapons deliver a continuum of effects. If you design a weapon to kill people, some of the people it is supposed to kill will simply be injured. If you design a weapon not to kill people, but to injure them, then some of the people it is supposed to injure won't be hurt very badly at all. Plenty of injuries leave someone in a state where they are more than capable of picking up their weapons and killing your troops. Now imagine the morale of troops when they find, instead of dead enemies, a bunch of injured ones who are still shooting back, with weapons that are killing them.

Also, their comrades are not unable to fight because they need to tend to the wounded. The operative phrase for performing first aid is you do it "as the tactical situation permits."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there are many countries in the world whos military plans are primarily about fighting a defensive war against a superior attacker, rather than going on military joyrides shock&aweing people who's entire gdp is less than the cost of one of the missiles you used.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well sure there’s that plus you’d have to aim for the canteen if you’re using .50 cal rounds and that’s not easy

:hmmyes:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

there are many countries in the world whos military plans are primarily about fighting a defensive war against a superior attacker, rather than going on military joyrides shock&aweing people who's entire gdp is less than the cost of one of the missiles you used.

Yes. So why would they want to have to take care of the attacker's wounded that he leaves behind on the battlefield? Unless they're planning on murdering them all, which is the said aforementioned really obvious war crime.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I want to get off Mr. Bones Wild Ride

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Note also that those kind of small countries and insurgent groups aren’t designing a ton of weapons and doubly aren’t driving big trends in ammunition design. The general pattern is that superpowers set ammo standards (see: 5.56 and 7.62 NATO being American calibers initially, the proliferation of Soviet calibers under the Warsaw Pact) and frequently weapons standards, large countries also design their own guns but use that ammo (so, Germany and France and England all make their own guns using domestic designs but they’re all chambered in NATO standard calibers), and the medium and small players buy from someone else based on the geopolitics of who they want to buddy up to at the moment.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3hVNJgD.mp4

Kid was fine, it was just a lovely toy helmet.

It was because his hard hat had a sticker on it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm no puppetmaster but I figured that was probably bullshit and I posted it anyways without looking it up. I knew it would start another loving derailment and this thread just seems to love them.

Are we all just going stir crazy from being stuck at home? Are we better off just following /r/osha?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oooh have fun cleaning up the haze juice.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nocheez posted:

I'm no puppetmaster but I figured that was probably bullshit and I posted it anyways without looking it up. I knew it would start another loving derailment and this thread just seems to love them.

Are we all just going stir crazy from being stuck at home? Are we better off just following /r/osha?

Did you just say you intended to start a derail? Yeah Reddit May be your spot.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This is great.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Seems dumb to use ammo designed to injure in a tool everyone should train to not point anything they do not intend to kill.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Did you just say you intended to start a derail? Yeah Reddit May be your spot.

Are derailments not OSHA?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Are derailments not OSHA?

Those are handled by USDOT FRA.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Those are handled by USDOT FRA.

My mistake! At least we're not discussing local pronunciations anymore :v:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Phanatic posted:

Or running down the hole towards the camera in slow motion giving a little gopher yell as the flame front of the blast expands dramatically behind it.

I found this documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cv9yKxIEYI

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mustached Demon posted:

Seems dumb to use ammo designed to injure in a tool everyone should train to not point anything they do not intend to kill.

Never point the weapon at anything you don't intend to mildly inconvenience.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cojawfee posted:

Never point the weapon at anything you don't intend to mildly inconvenience.

Your sister was never the same after the great Nerf Gun ambush of 2:14 PM last Tuesday.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I got news for you buddy, that wasn't a foam bullet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe putting as many people as possible into a tower is a bit dangerous...

https://gulfnews.com/uae/video-massive-fire-erupts-in-sharjah-tower-1.1588700592377

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Scratch Monkey posted:

[citation needed]

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Maybe putting as many people as possible into a tower is a bit dangerous...

https://gulfnews.com/uae/video-massive-fire-erupts-in-sharjah-tower-1.1588700592377

FFS, not yet another tower where the cladding goes up like a bonfire. You had Grenfell in the UK but also regular blazes in the UAE.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Maybe we should build them underground? Can't burn if there's no air underground! :pseudo:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Abom79 just did an OSHA, stuck his finger in the path of the moving shaper to show where the part was having issues, quickly took it away, but it gave me chills

Also he's moving the camera around the moving machine so close he could easily get hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1Vnnwd4FI&t=1575s

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Testing to see which cables are live.

Don't forget your safety gloves!

https://i.imgur.com/JxffwTq.mp4

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

drunkill posted:

Testing to see which cables are live.

Don't forget your safety gloves!

https://i.imgur.com/JxffwTq.mp4

Is that one, comrade.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This isn't true

You can also aim for their belt buckle!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Abom79 just did an OSHA, stuck his finger in the path of the moving shaper to show where the part was having issues, quickly took it away, but it gave me chills

Also he's moving the camera around the moving machine so close he could easily get hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1Vnnwd4FI&t=1575s

Putting your finger in there is pretty stupid but its not like the thing does sudden unexpected movements or swings the engine block around or something. So standing next to it filming it doesn't exactly seem that dangerous.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nocheez posted:

The bullet thing was bullshit, but anti-personnel mines are, in fact, frequently designed to maim rather than outright kill.

Fun safety / health fact: back in the day, the U.S. arsenal had chemical mines that were each filled with 10 pounds of VX nerve gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

5.56 NATO doesn't trade injury for lethality in a zero-sum manner, the bullet simply has a high probability to tumble and fragment which makes it do more damage. The fact that targets struck by such a round who don't die have more vicious wounds than they typically would from a non-fragmenting round of the same dimensions led to the "it's designed to injure instead of kill" myth, I think.