Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SoftNum posted:

You know how many podcasts NPI had in 2019? 7. I even really like Efka and Elaine but they'd probably be the first to admit they probably don't deserve it.

SUSD way overdid that folk game thing and it started getting weird and creepy at the end. They're also of somewhat varying quality, and a lot of times are just "here's the audio of a panel we did."

I'm not saying any podcast is good or bad, just that the winner of Best Podcast seems to bear no relation to all of the other winners. My friend explained this, though: previous Best Podcast winners are no longer eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CaptainRightful posted:

smdh at Pax Rug not even getting runner up in any category, including artwork/presentation. Here's the weird thing: considering every other result, how the hell is Heavy Cardboard still the #1 podcast and SUSD not even a runner-up? Presumably a ton of voters just don't listen to any boardgame podcasts.

Yeah it's weird, as HC basically exists as a sponsored playthrough Youtube channel now and barely has a podcast presence (looks like only 3 episodes this year so far?) Edward has a history of brigading his fanbase and they are extremely dedicated and culty.

SUSD current podcasts (since the new theme song) are great and probably the best content they've ever done. The new guy is a good addition. Efka said himself he was surprised by the nomination and didn't think they deserved it since they always wanted video to be their number 1 platform, but their podcast is also very good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah I would presume susd didn't bother to plug it. Which makes bgb's exclusion even funnier because those guys love to plug themselves.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tried Spirit Island for the first tie yesterday, 3 player game against England using 3 of the low complexity spirits. It seemed like a good game but it's hell of a fiddly. Sure I'll play it again at some point but the book keeping you have to I can't imagine playing it at 4 player as there will just be a ton of stuff to do for the invaders turn.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ordered Whitehall Mystery + Cockroach Poker.

So now I can play WM 100% guilt free on TTS :toot:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Hey guys I bought WM earlier, hype for the weekend when we can play another session."
"..."
"Can we play tonight?"

:allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

SUSD current podcasts (since the new theme song) are great and probably the best content they've ever done.

what episode does this start at?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Tried Spirit Island for the first tie yesterday, 3 player game against England using 3 of the low complexity spirits. It seemed like a good game but it's hell of a fiddly. Sure I'll play it again at some point but the book keeping you have to I can't imagine playing it at 4 player as there will just be a ton of stuff to do for the invaders turn.

You can alleviate most of the administration of the invaders by offloading the work of each piece of the island to its player. That way each person just has to think about 2 spaces per action.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Countblanc posted:

what episode does this start at?

Ep 90: The Generation Train

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I found it pretty easy going with a paint by numbers approach. I go left to right: sands ravage, this sands defends, this sands defends, this sands empty. This forest builds, this forest empty, etc etc. You're usually paying such close attention to what the invaders are doing that you already know where everything is going.

And yeah for event cards just have each player place or remove from their own board.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pro-tip: If you are Jack the Ripper in Whitehall don't reveal that you're on your discovery spot about to drop off the final body part, after someone just searched and found you. Particularly when one of the other players still has to finish their turn, and when they are also playing the detective who if they correctly guess the spot where Jack is dropping off a body part he loses.

The nerd scream when he realised what he did was glorious :allears:

Very very happy to be adding Whitehall to my collection.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me Whitehall Mystery just condenses down all the fun of Letters from Whitechapel in a shorter game, better game without all the extra stuff that just seems to exist to take up time. Taking time away from the fun part of the game.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I've been interested in trying something like Fury of Dracula but the joy of Whitehall Mystery is that it's much easier to teach and play and in the same sort of time frame pretty much the entire table gets to do the sneaky hidden movement stuff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Fog of Love is great so far. We've played the tutorial, and I made a bad choice at the literal last card played that cost me the game, but I didn't care. What a crazy experience to play. Lots of laughs and fun moments like when we'd pick an answer on a card that worked best with our hidden in-game goals, but clashed with what we'd want the other person to answer with in real life. It's a really elegant system, with nothing but a few decks of cards to shuffle and put in a pile, some poker chips, and one type of token to work with. SUSD was right: this is a game we'd want to watch our other couple friends play. We only got tripped up on the player references, e.g. "you" vs "player" vs "chooser" a few times, but that's the only hurdle to get over.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I actually find the bookkeeping/admin of Spirit Island fairly light relative to its weight.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SoftNum posted:

SUSD way overdid that folk game thing and it started getting weird and creepy at the end. They're also of somewhat varying quality, and a lot of times are just "here's the audio of a panel we did."

What's the story here? Folk Game?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
People with Steampunk Rally: How is the card variety in the draft decks? I know it's 40 cards per deck, but how many of those are unique?

I pulled up a TTS version to mess around with solo and felt like I was seeing a lot of duplicates, but I don't know how complete the mod was. I guess combining the game with Fusion will help.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
SUSD has been a lot of things and I feel I can objectively acknowledge their relative strengths and weaknesses...

That said, "creepy" is never a word I've seen associated with them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the story here? Folk Game?

They would have listeners send in their childhood folk games as a fun segment and it would be silly games people made up and sometimes truly ridiculous and dangerous ones. I don't remember it ever having a creepy side though? It was pretty harmless.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Memnaelar posted:

SUSD has been a lot of things and I feel I can objectively acknowledge their relative strengths and weaknesses...

It kind of depends on where you are coming from. As an American black woman I could see Quinn as seeming to be a little creepy, he's very in your face in the videos and that can put people (especially non white American people) off. I suspect that if you're British you might feel differently. I was fortunate to meet him at UK Game Expo a few years back and he's not creepy at all, very nice!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's also got the most extreme eyebags i've ever seen.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Llyranor posted:

I actually find the bookkeeping/admin of Spirit Island fairly light relative to its weight.

Agreed, I think once you play a few games of it it's much easier to manage. My group's games used to grind to a halt whenever we did Builds/escalations but now it's mostly very smooth.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

They would have listeners send in their childhood folk games as a fun segment and it would be silly games people made up and sometimes truly ridiculous and dangerous ones. I don't remember it ever having a creepy side though? It was pretty harmless.

Memnaelar posted:

Near the end the "folk games" got more and more focused on opposite sex mixing opportunities for young teens. And it was like 4 or 5 eps in a row with basically a new spin on truth or dare.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

NRVNQSR posted:

People with Steampunk Rally: How is the card variety in the draft decks? I know it's 40 cards per deck, but how many of those are unique?

I pulled up a TTS version to mess around with solo and felt like I was seeing a lot of duplicates, but I don't know how complete the mod was. I guess combining the game with Fusion will help.

I picked one of the component decks at random, there were 10 distinct cards in it ranging from 3-7 copies of each. The event deck has a lot more unique cards, 21 with 1-3 copies.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Fog of Love is great so far. We've played the tutorial, and I made a bad choice at the literal last card played that cost me the game, but I didn't care. What a crazy experience to play. Lots of laughs and fun moments like when we'd pick an answer on a card that worked best with our hidden in-game goals, but clashed with what we'd want the other person to answer with in real life. It's a really elegant system, with nothing but a few decks of cards to shuffle and put in a pile, some poker chips, and one type of token to work with. SUSD was right: this is a game we'd want to watch our other couple friends play. We only got tripped up on the player references, e.g. "you" vs "player" vs "chooser" a few times, but that's the only hurdle to get over.

For non-coupled folks, when it's safe to go out and meet new people again, I highly recommend people playing this with anyone you go out with who expresses even a slight interest when you mention you like playing board games. It's a good gateway game, and the whole roleplaying a relationship thing seems to be a pretty positive date experience.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Sinteres posted:

For non-coupled folks, when it's safe to go out and meet new people again, I highly recommend people playing this with anyone you go out with who expresses even a slight interest when you mention you like playing board games. It's a good gateway game, and the whole roleplaying a relationship thing seems to be a pretty positive date experience.

It's better if people know to lean into their characters that get generated, and to take it more to the 'com' side of rom-com. I played one game with my fiancee where I was a corrupt politician who was ultimately still married yet dating some side chick and I ended the game with over 40 satisfaction and she had zero; there was another one where we did a gender swap and she made me a shaky, smiling nurse in a wheelchair, and the first card she played was the one where the couple is supposed to be taking a hike through the woods, and one recommends a little tryst, and we died at the mental image of some dude pushing his epileptic girlfriend through the forest and deciding that was a grand time to just go for it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Morpheus posted:

You keep them mixed in? Does that mean you always play with the same sets?

Tragedy Looper is an awesome game and I am also fantastically terrible at it. I think I've been the mastermind three or four times and only once have the protagonists actually needed to do a new loop and not just win in the first one. I think it's because I try to obfuscate my goals too much and end up accomplishing none of them, but oof.

I've only played once, I figured I'd leave the store deck intact for two or three games before tearing it down and adding new sets. If core cards are always separate now, I guess that's not the worst way to organize the store.

I picked up Tragedy Looper on sale and have yet to play it, is it on TTS? I also have Fog of Love from another sale, and have yet to play that.:(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thread from Hargrave about Wingspan sweeping the BGG awards

https://twitter.com/elizhargrave/status/1257999669852061699?s=20

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For people who like tragedy looper but want a simpler game that isn’t as satisfying logically but is much easier to GM, you could look into psychic pizza deliverers go to the ghost town. While I love TL, one of the main concerns with that game is that the on boarding for a GM is steep and the GM will only be able to GM the same scenario for different players. There’s more custom scenarios out there now but those new GMs will still have to go through some scenarios somehow while they learn the game.

You might have to wait a while, however, since JP is limiting shipping with the quarantine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty good thread and mirrors my thoughts reasonably well.

Tapestry at 3rd though

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Pretty good thread and mirrors my thoughts reasonably well.

Tapestry at 3rd though

People jack themselves off in to a coma about every Stonemier release much to my confusion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aramoro posted:

People jack themselves off in to a coma about every Stonemier release much to my confusion.

I feel bad trashing the game not having played it but every single thing I have ever heard about tapestry has made me want to play the game less, it's frankly astonishing that that has kept happening.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Man, I used to go to video game conventions for a games review website, and as part of it we'd give out the awards for stuff like 'Best ___ Game' and the discussions/arguments we'd get into about what constitutes a fighting game, an adventure game, an RPG, an FPS, or what it meant to have the best soundtrack vs best ORIGINAL soundtrack, and best story or whatever the hell would last into the night. This takes me back.

Personally I don't think Wingspan deserved a lot of those rewards, even badly defined as they were. Except theme, it's dripping with theme. But after playing it, it's just so...I mean, it's not bad, it's somewhat good in some regards, but winning 'best of' in anything? Hard pressed to argue why that'd be the case. I'm pretty sure it's this 'okayness' in so many areas that makes it appeal to so many people at once.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 6, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1r1jNDrZ8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

Stonemaier games have good production values and reliable delivery, and at least up until Tapestry the gameplay has always been adequate. And from what I hear even Tapestry has a pleasant core game loop, it just has fatal balancing issues.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Morpheus posted:

Personally I don't think Wingspan deserved a lot of those rewards, even badly defined as they were. Except theme, it's dripping with theme. But after playing it, it's just so...I mean, it's not bad, it's somewhat good in some regards, but winning 'best of' in anything? Hard pressed to argue why that'd be the case. I'm pretty sure it's this 'okayness' in so many areas that makes it appeal to so many people at once.

This is an issue with pretty much every award that is like, a billion different categories.

You don't like a particular category, so you don't play a lot of it. But there's one game that you did like (certainly a lot better than everything else eligible for that category), so of course you're going to vote that it's the "best" of that category, right? Repeat that for every single category and it's easy to see how a game with broad appeal will beat out more niche titles even in an ostensibly specialized scope.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Marie Kondo would have a fit at some of the games I hold onto and never play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Placebo effect is real. Your imagined plays count.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Digital plays don’t count, smh. Even playing a copy of the game that isn’t yours is questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Marie Kondo would have a fit at some of the games I hold onto and never play.

I think some variation on the hanger test (where you put all your clothes on backwards hangers and get rid of any that are still on them at the end of the year) makes a lot of sense for board games, with maybe a few exceptions for particularly beloved games that make you happy just to be reminded of previous play experiences. That said, I don't have any plans to implement it any time soon.