Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

It is four weeks since I was elected leader of the Labour Party. In my acceptance speech I made a commitment to the British people: that I would do my utmost to guide us through these difficult times, to serve all of our communities and to strive for the good of our country. I stand by that commitment.

I said in that speech that we would have the courage to support the government when it was doing the right thing. That is why we supported lockdown, why we supported its extension and why we will support the government later this week when lockdown is reviewed. Saving lives and livelihoods must be our first priority.

But, as I also said four weeks ago, Labour must have the courage to challenge the government when mistakes are being made. The government went into this crisis unprepared and have been behind the curve ever since: too slow to enter lockdown, too slow on testing, too slow on personal protective equipment, too slow to set out an exit strategy.

We need to learn from those mistakes. We cannot be as unprepared for the next phase of this crisis.

That is why I called on the government last month to publish an exit strategy. Not for the lockdown to be lifted, but for a national strategy for how businesses, public services, communities and families could plan and be supported for the future. I welcome the government’s commitment to now do that.

But this cannot be written in isolation. Nor can it be done without an honest conversation with the public. There are no quick fixes to this crisis. We are in this for the long haul. The British people have made huge sacrifices and if we are to take them with us, then they have to be part of the debate about what comes next.

I want to see a national consensus, building on the expertise of business groups, trade unions, public services and other relevant organisations. And I want Labour to be a part of that conversation.

Today I have set out the seven core principles for the government’s exit strategy. These core principles are designed to ensure businesses, public services and communities are supported and kept safe in the weeks ahead.

That means ensuring robust protections when people go back to work or use our public services. A massive expansion in testing and tracing. Having a structured approach to easing and tightening restrictions. And building the NHS’s resilience for the winter.

A vaccine will of course be critical to ending this pandemic. We are unlikely to see one developed for many more months, but it is imperative that we start work now to build the capacity and infrastructure required to distribute it when it is ready.

These are the principles that I will be taking to the prime minister when we speak later this week. And these are the arguments I will be making on behalf of the British people.

Starmer means business, calling for the urgent formation of committees to discuss the options of what we might possibly do, at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

you can't be genuinely 'wtf' at this, surely

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Doccykins posted:

looks familiar

Reminded me more of

God I forgot how bad the Ed Stone was. That big metal frame just looming like a guillotine :cripes:

crispix fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 5, 2020

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1257573295995727874

I've got to give her credit, she's really nailed the Art of the Constant Ratio.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

efb

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

justcola posted:

Loving the randomly allocated colour coded boxes and weird alignment of the numbers

"Right team, we have seven points related to the current public health crisis and need a corresponding seven colours. These seven colours are going to be essential to our message so we should put them on the leaflet twice.
We want a good range of colours so pick these from across the whole visible spectrum but under no circumstances should these colours of the rainbow be arranged in the order of the rainbow.
Connecting our plan with the easily-recalled and widely-recognised symbol of hope, especially during a time of it's current nationwide use in messages of support for the NHS, will only confuse things."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Laura is just shameless isn't she.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah i would agree :) im sorry if i said something lovely to you about anarchists btw, i do find it a very interesting concept i just went thru a phase where i kept encountering anarchists who were all about invading syria, iran, etc for some reason. the internet has poisoned a lot of minds.

It's no biggie, at this point I'm disappointed if CSPAM doesn't feature daily rants about anarchism but I still enjoy it. Certainly more enjoyable than D&D.

But aye, an anarchist supporting foreign interventionism is well sus. How can you oppose the state and simultaneously support the imperialism of any nation state?

Or that dumb humourless twerp who posted an entire thread being mad about Chapo, that was a loving lame anarchist.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 5, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So I was one of the few parents at my son's school to not have problems with the school meal voucher system (beyond them turning up in the spam folder, suitably enough) but now I join my peers in them now not arriving, yay

Feel glad/lucky that I don't *need* them with any urgency, and shite for the people that do, and also for those given gift cards only for them to not work at the checkout and leave the parent to either cover it out of pocket or sheepishly say "it will all have to go back". gently caress.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I assume it's cause their delivery depot is somewhere close to the Dartford crossing.

e: actually that doesn't make sense with Luton and Harrow

maybe they've picked the 15 closest to London with reasonably low footfall

Luton and Harrow are both like 20 minutes from the M25. Dalston's the real outlier there, it's pretty deep into London compared to the rest.

e: Tooting too.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 5, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

pitch a fitness posted:

"Right team, we have seven points related to the current public health crisis and need a corresponding seven colours. These seven colours are going to be essential to our message so we should put them on the leaflet twice.
We want a good range of colours so pick these from across the whole visible spectrum but under no circumstances should these colours of the rainbow be arranged in the order of the rainbow.
Connecting our plan with the easily-recalled and widely-recognised symbol of hope, especially during a time of it's current nationwide use in messages of support for the NHS, will only confuse things."

lol

also turns out they weren't even following the science that they'd attempted to influence

Boris Johnson boasted of shaking hands on day Sage warned not to

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
From an email from Sadiq Khan:

[quote]Alarmingly, the Resolution Foundation estimate unemployment rising to levels last seen in the 1980s. With a benefits system already buckling, we will need a new settlement that offers proper security for all. This should include ideas like a universal basic income, which is gaining support around the world and would ensure everybody can at least survive. /quote]

Lol that Captain Milquetoast is outflanking Starmer from the Left now too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Luton and Harrow are both like 20 minutes from the M25. Dalston's the real outlier there, it's pretty deep into London compared to the rest.

e: Tooting too.

I'd imagine that they've chosen these 15 as they group together on existing supply chain routes, so they can expand outwards from those as they ramp up. How they're grouped is a different discussion

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UBI is such an easy win in this climate, like everyone's hosed for work, the benefits system is shite, cut out all the bureaucracy and give it to everyone and start executing landlords to pay for it (I do not know exactly how this works but I'm sure it will)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
p sure the only way starmer is going to back ubi is if Johnson announces it first

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

XMNN posted:

p sure the only way starmer is going to back ubi is if Johnson announces it first
Nah if the Tories announce it he'll say something like "let's not charge headlong into massive unprecedented changes" and everyone will nod sagely at his strong opposition

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

Nah if the Tories announce it he'll say something like "let's not charge headlong into massive unprecedented changes" and everyone will nod sagely at his strong opposition

Have we asked businesses what they think? Forensic.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the press takeover was never about Corbyn, although it sure felt that way. Corbyn just provided them a useful rallying tool- they aren't unrallying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1257686520594644995?s=21

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you're a nanny you should maintain a distance of 2 meters for any household occupants that you aren't caring for. :magemage:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

If you're a nanny you should maintain a distance of 2 meters for any household occupants that you aren't caring for. :magemage:

Feel like the novelty of using the hoover and interacting with their offspring has worn off for the Aga-owners.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

crispix posted:

Reminded me more of

God I forgot how bad the Ed Stone was. That big metal frame just looming like a guillotine :cripes:

For some reason I always thought it was just shown in front of a set of swings, never got that that was the frame for it.

Just had a flashback to some night recently where I accidentally started watching Have I Got News For You during lockdown. If you thought it was poo poo before then, boy howdy, listen in wonder as jokes about Jeremy Corbyn are uttered into a void without any tittering. Stand with your mouth and other orifices agape in amazement as they show YouTube videos from 5 years ago to no audience reaction whatsoever. Bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r72G-vD1Rnw

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Feel like the novelty of using the hoover and interacting with their offspring has worn off for the Aga-owners.

I'm no scientist but surely an asymptomatic nanny infecting their charge will simply mean that the whole household is infected (or vice versa).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

He does have a pro-tier mustache tho.

ask me about my political compass

The Dance Commander should be more authoritarian than centrist, as he is giving out the order for fun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

For some reason I always thought it was just shown in front of a set of swings, never got that that was the frame for it.
There's something amazing about a set in stone manifesto that can't even stand on its own merits. :allears:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

justcola posted:

Just had a flashback to some night recently where I accidentally started watching Have I Got News For You during lockdown. If you thought it was poo poo before then, boy howdy, listen in wonder as jokes about Jeremy Corbyn are uttered into a void without any tittering. Stand with your mouth and other orifices agape in amazement as they show YouTube videos from 5 years ago to no audience reaction whatsoever. Bliss.

ew emma barnett

and they apparently had galaxy o brian on this week

I swear it used to be funny at one point but maybe that was just my child like brain?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why is Raab banging on about cyberattacks, and why is his advice just to "use passwords"?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

wait they're doing the show over videoconference for real? I saw a picture of all the monitors sat around the HIGNFY set weeks ago and assumed it was self-satire, "can you imagine if we tried to do a comedy panel show like this?". loving hell.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

Laura is just shameless isn't she.

Honestly, why wouldn't she be?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're just getting four or five people to argue about poo poo and watch youtube videos over skype isn't that just a podcast?

The saddest dad podcast.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

XMNN posted:

ew emma barnett

and they apparently had galaxy o brian on this week

I swear it used to be funny at one point but maybe that was just my child like brain?

I think a lot of that is the razamataz of showbiz. The set, the lighting, the scripted jokes, the editing, the audience laughing at everything. Once that's all stripped away and it's just four 50 year-old men chatting poo poo over discord it becomes far less clever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonzo McFee posted:

Honestly, why wouldn't she be?

Why indeed? Aside from the quare gunk she got in the 2017 election, all of her bullshit and toadying and bias has been fully vindicated and she's immune to anything worse than being called names on Twitter. And as she's not a centrist, she doesn't care much about that.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

winegums posted:

I think a lot of that is the razamataz of showbiz. The set, the lighting, the scripted jokes, the editing, the audience laughing at everything. Once that's all stripped away and it's just four 50 year-old men chatting poo poo over discord it becomes far less clever.
I've actually seen a couple of studio episodes in the last few years (my dad has liberal brain poisoning) and they were also not funny, even accounting for me not thinking "ha Corbyns a terrorist racist antisemite" is a joke, so it's not just the production standards/audience

I don't know if it wasn't funny because it's a tired format with two tired old men and at least one arsehole guest for balance, or if it was just never funny in the first place and I didn't realise because my critical faculties were lacking

or maybe it's a bit of both?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

starmer is responsible for this bullshit tone policing

https://twitter.com/TheKafkaDude/status/1257646948682731521?s=20

Tag yourself, I'm the health workers that approach a value without ever reaching it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I wonder if part of it is that having the entire internet making the obvious kneejerk snark to every political situation in real time makes it obvious how trite a lot of political humour is. Like, when your only access to a group of dickhead jokesters competing to come up with the best cynical quip to make was for half an hour each week the novelty didn't wear off as quickly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I've actually seen a couple of studio episodes in the last few years (my dad has liberal brain poisoning) and they were also not funny, even accounting for me not thinking "ha Corbyns a terrorist racist antisemite" is a joke, so it's not just the production standards/audience

I don't know if it wasn't funny because it's a tired format with two tired old men and at least one arsehole guest for balance, or if it was just never funny in the first place and I didn't realise because my critical faculties were lacking

or maybe it's a bit of both?
I think it was funnier during the Blair years in the same way that David Davis was a voice of reason during the Blair years. Any incidental strengths about mocking governance work a lot better when the government is doing authoritarian surveillance state poo poo and warmongering than not doing anything at all and killing people that way.

e: ^^ Or that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

From an email from Sadiq Khan:

[quote]Alarmingly, the Resolution Foundation estimate unemployment rising to levels last seen in the 1980s. With a benefits system already buckling, we will need a new settlement that offers proper security for all. This should include ideas like a universal basic income, which is gaining support around the world and would ensure everybody can at least survive. /quote]

Lol that Captain Milquetoast is outflanking Starmer from the Left now too.

The timing of Corbyn going could not have been loving worse :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's been a few stabbings down the road, I've heard the ambulance sirens going off all afternoon.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Angepain posted:

I wonder if part of it is that having the entire internet making the obvious kneejerk snark to every political situation in real time makes it obvious how trite a lot of political humour is. Like, when your only access to a group of dickhead jokesters competing to come up with the best cynical quip to make was for half an hour each week the novelty didn't wear off as quickly.

oh yeah the fact it's weekly means everything's old news by the time it airs now

Guavanaut posted:

I think it was funnier during the Blair years in the same way that David Davis was a voice of reason during the Blair years. Any incidental strengths about mocking governance work a lot better when the government is doing authoritarian surveillance state poo poo and warmongering than not doing anything at all and killing people that way.

e: ^^ Or that.
dark times

have a Twitter thread of media personalities mocking people for daring to question THE SCIENCE

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1257621108980842499?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jippa posted:

People are seriously pissed off that mcdonald's isn't reopening in their area.

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsUK/status/1257595625757122560

Dunno why Medway of all places is getting two McDonalds open less than a mile apart. Oh well *crying Invicta horse*