Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
When should I start doing the Evil Troll Challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you can get to the target level in a short number of 3-minute rebirths, just do it and it'll be pretty easy.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
When they take 30 minutes or less
Yeah, thats it.

You can gauge your troll potential yourself by seeing how far you get in boss kills in a fresh rebirth and a nuke.
If you only get to boss 30 on a fresh rebirth nuke the e.g troll challenge 3 is going to be very rough for you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

troll challenge sounds like it's months away then

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Twitch posted:

When should I start doing the Evil Troll Challenges?

theres really 3 good break points for challenges in the middle of evil

troll challenge 1 - nerd v2

troll challenge 5 - godmother v2

complete troll challenges - exile v1

you can do tc2 to get a macguffin slot if you really need it during nerd v2

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It's good to spend a bit of extra time to get that one accessory slot.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
also notable that the later eTroll rewards don't even matter until you've had wished and hacks unlocked for a while.

I'm in a weird spot, doing my GMv2 challenge run and I thought maybe I could do a LOT of the noNGU challenges. I've done 5 and feeling like I'm hitting a wall, but I'll complete 6 at least. Should I just quit this madness? I'm at the point where I'm just waiting 30m every RB this time around. My goal was to begin doing Hack Days after this run, so I don't really mind taking too long for those extra 20% boosts... just don't want to get stuck / waste undue time.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
It'd be nice if there was a reason to do the other Evil challenges now that challenges aren't a hellgrind.

Like the Sadistic A/D scaling issue could have been through aug/sword challenges instead of a global nerf.

Even boring stuff like aug speed (aug) or boosted boosts (100) would be something if you don't want to get fancy.

Something like faster basic training that gives you multiple levels per tick would be great for Adv. Training but also gamebreaking, probably.

I've always found it a little odd that nothing affects the time machine levels themselves beyond EM. It's all on the back end, while Wandoos has a ton of modifiers to reduce resource consumption while maintaining BB.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Agreed, my biggest requests, if 4g could spend just a BIT more time on this game before moving on, would be:

1) Mac version on Steam and/or Kart
2) Finish all quest rewards
3) Some offline progress for boost (diminished is fine, just anything other than nothing)

4g: can we set up a, like, fundraising effort in support of work on some wish-list items?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Sorry to say, mac version is jsut in such low demand it isnt worth the time to spend on fixing issues with the port/buy a mac. Steam data says it's like 0.8% the players of windows

I'll prbobably expand some evil/sadistic challenge rewards next update

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Cobalt60 posted:

also notable that the later eTroll rewards don't even matter until you've had wished and hacks unlocked for a while.

I'm in a weird spot, doing my GMv2 challenge run and I thought maybe I could do a LOT of the noNGU challenges. I've done 5 and feeling like I'm hitting a wall, but I'll complete 6 at least. Should I just quit this madness? I'm at the point where I'm just waiting 30m every RB this time around. My goal was to begin doing Hack Days after this run, so I don't really mind taking too long for those extra 20% boosts... just don't want to get stuck / waste undue time.

if you can stomach them, it's worth it. they're never pleasant

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

my understanding is that it helps to get killed by titan 4 and then go farming for the person he mentions. low level items level up quick in daycare

i am roughly in the same place but am banging out challenges at the mo. i fear the Troll Challenge and haven't done it yet

I hope you are not doing troll challenges around T4. They become much easier after T5.

BTW I wrote a challenge guide that's current through early evil:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HRXczqfv9lz1DMKUAG1uCYU21eZ2nKb7dHbydYJNLS0/edit

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Do the Beard Macguffins really not work or is that wiki vandalism?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Pope Guilty posted:

Do the Beard Macguffins really not work or is that wiki vandalism?

they didn't at one point and even if they do by the time they're giving you relevant bonuses you won't need them anyhow

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
do you really 'need' anything though

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

They don't work.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Francis posted:

do you really 'need' anything though

:redborder:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I never appreciated truly how useless beard guffs were until now. I've got nine guff slots and another nine in my inventory, with all my beards basically BB'd the entire rb. gently caress it, im trashing my beard guffs and filtering them out.

Actually useless.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I never appreciated truly how useless beard guffs were until now. I've got nine guff slots and another nine in my inventory, with all my beards basically BB'd the entire rb. gently caress it, im trashing my beard guffs and filtering them out.

Actually useless.

4G, time to add those R3 beards.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I've been playing NGU for a couple of months now with a total of 342k xp earned, highest boss 154, beard growing, p much all item sets up to uug's rings maxed except red liquid and aa pendant and stuff like that, just got t3 infinity cube, basic and no augs challenges fully completed and two completes of 24 hour challenge. What am I supposed to gun for now? More challenges? Where to start?

Also, big thanks to 4G for giving me something to waste time with during WFH.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What Titan are you at/working towards?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any way to actually increase the top speed of Wandoos? It seems like once you've hit a certain speed in the EM dumps you're not so much increasing speed as reducing the amount of EM that can be usefully devoted to Wandoos.

...that's what moving up to MEH/XL is for, isn't it?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

...that's what moving up to MEH/XL is for, isn't it?

Yes. Wandoos gives a fixed amount of bonus every time the bar fills. If you can cap it, you're getting the maximum bonus you can get from it. Moving to a higher OS level gives a bigger bonus but requires more resources to cap.

Wandoos also becomes largely irrelevant later on, outside of helping to push to the point where you can unlock the highest adventure zone/titan you need or during challenges.

NGU unfortunately has a lot of systems that start out being useful and slowly peter out until they're useless or mindless. Beards are a great example. They start out requiring a balancing act and thoughtful investment/juggling, and slowly turn into yet another multiplier that just constantly runs in the background with no intervention necessary.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Manuel Calavera posted:

What Titan are you at/working towards?

I'm autofarming uug and below, and have his rings at around level 15-56. Adventure stats currently at 930k power 540k toughness but it's been a 2+ day run.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

junan_paalla posted:

I've been playing NGU for a couple of months now with a total of 342k xp earned, highest boss 154, beard growing, p much all item sets up to uug's rings maxed except red liquid and aa pendant and stuff like that, just got t3 infinity cube, basic and no augs challenges fully completed and two completes of 24 hour challenge. What am I supposed to gun for now? More challenges? Where to start?

You could almost certainly do some of the Troll challenges now. What are your Yggdrasil levels like? The Troll challenge has some of the most important rewards, especially Troll 1 through Troll 3 - 3x Magic NGU speed, Accessory slot, and then probably one of the most important - the Troll 3 reward will give you a new 24 max level for the Ygg fruits. 24 hr Ygg fruit is essential - especially for the Experience one.

No Rebirth challenges are also really important since Titan kills are one of the biggest sources of Experience (and some PP as well) until Ygg fruit takes over.

You can also work on the Laser Sword challenges whenever. They don't do a full reset like other challenges, just a normal reset. So you can try them whenever and if the investment is too high, just ignore the challenge.

So yes, I would suggest more challenges, they are key and I think you are high enough level to get a few levels in them quickly.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Any suggestions for idle games hosted on github or elsewhere and not on kongregate? I've at least tried most of the decent games hosted on kong and just kind of poking around for games I might have missed.

Edit: Also did anyone ever do anything interesting with the forced prestige mechanic after idle loops? I enjoyed that concept a lot.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 5, 2020

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Man, either the stats on the wiki are way inaccurate or there's some trick to manual fighting I don't know about. I can only get V1 Rock Lobster to like 60% with the suggested stats from the wiki.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zokari posted:

Man, either the stats on the wiki are way inaccurate or there's some trick to manual fighting I don't know about. I can only get V1 Rock Lobster to like 60% with the suggested stats from the wiki.

Exit idle mode, go to safe zone. Use charge/parry, wait for all cooldowns to be off.
Switch to zone, use mega buff immediately. Use ultimate attack immediately. Use charge, then piercing attack.
Use block right away to prevent some early damage.
Use OH poo poo when you're at about half health.
Then just kind of flail around as necessary using things when they're off cooldown.

Also make sure you're wearing items with the word "paper" in them. Paper-thin crepe chest, rolling paper, toilet paper.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 5, 2020

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Zokari posted:

In addition to the advice by the other poster, I also believe they're the stats without using Beast Mode, in case you were using that.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Unponderable posted:

In addition to the advice by the other poster, I also believe they're the stats without using Beast Mode, in case you were using that.

Nah, I did it in beast mode at around the suggested stats -- maybe a little bit higher.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
What the order of priority for AP? I'm currently auto-killing Nerd 1.

I have Red, Yellow, Brown, Green, Blue, and Orange hearts already. I got the 1st two accessory slots, the two discounted MacGuffin Slots, all the beard slots, and I think 3 Digger slots purchased.

I have a few QoL ones like improved loot filter, filter boosts, and NGU Cap Modifier.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Grey Heart would be my go to choice, hacks are going to carry you from this point on and an early boost helps.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Grey Heart would be my go to choice, hacks are going to carry you from this point on and an early boost helps.

Seconded. Also, when you start pushing to GM, save AP for the pink heart in advance - that one takes 3x as long to level up in daycare so you want to get a jump on that ASAP when it unlocks.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Nah, I did it in beast mode at around the suggested stats -- maybe a little bit higher.

I'm slightly above the recommended stats in Beast Mode and I'm nowhere close - still two full health bars left by the time I die, doing everything you said. So I don't think the stats are with Beast Mode.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

junan_paalla posted:

I would say work on adv NGU to kill titan 5, then do challenges after you max his weapon. I posted my challenge guide earlier in chat.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I don't see how that's even possible. I can't get him below 50%. After the initial burst of damage, I hit like a wet noodle and when he starts actually attacking he kills me in like 5 hits.

Hell, I just noticed that the suggested Toughness is only 4 nonillion. I have almost 6!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zokari posted:

I don't see how that's even possible. I can't get him below 50%. After the initial burst of damage, I hit like a wet noodle and when he starts actually attacking he kills me in like 5 hits.

Hell, I just noticed that the suggested Toughness is only 4 nonillion. I have almost 6!

Are you wearing three items with the word "paper" in them? Because every missing "paper" item increases his toughness and attack significantly.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Speaking of which, I just unlocked wishes and went back to clear out a bunch of evil challenges. No NGU (and the later levels of troll) are the only ones I'm struggling with, it takes me about 2 1/2 hours to finish compared to 5-15 minutes for all the other stuff. Is it worth spending a few days maxing out No NGU for the 200% hacking speed boost, or should I just plow forward and come back for that one before I switch to sadistic?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, I just unlocked wishes and went back to clear out a bunch of evil challenges. No NGU (and the later levels of troll) are the only ones I'm struggling with, it takes me about 2 1/2 hours to finish compared to 5-15 minutes for all the other stuff. Is it worth spending a few days maxing out No NGU for the 200% hacking speed boost, or should I just plow forward and come back for that one before I switch to sadistic?

that's one of the few it's worth toughing out if you can handle

it's also ngu so do whatever you be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Eldercain posted:

that's one of the few it's worth toughing out if you can handle

it's also ngu so do whatever you be fine

Hmkay cool, thanks!