Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shovelbum posted:

Yeah but they're gonna be hit way lighter than real jobs, like doctors and poo poo getting laid off en masse in a pandemic while ad tech is still booming

Boeing is laying off off up to a third of thier workforce. GE just announced a 25% reduction. Lyft has already laid off something like 20%, etc. Everybody is getting laid off en masse because we are entering a depression if not a great depression. Computer touchers didn't get hit immediately like the service sector did because they are working already booked and paid for projects. By this fall there are gonna be millions of unemployed engineers and IT workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bullfrog posted:

more info on the wisconsin case which could doom the state to be a plaguelands forever

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/5/21246697/republican-lawsuit-wisconsin-stay-at-home-legislature-palm

Lol so when it gets worse after opening back up, they don't have the power anymore to order it shut back down

For gently caress's sake

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

shovelbum posted:

Yeah but they're gonna be hit way lighter than real jobs, like doctors and poo poo getting laid off en masse in a pandemic while ad tech is still booming

Ad tech is falling off a cliff currently

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
We can't be too far away from a governor telling their supreme court to gently caress off. Judicial review is such a farce.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

there are institutional white collar positions that have specific knowledge bases that are impossible to cut, regardless of whether that person fucks off all day every day beyond the one or two times a month they're required. Paying them is significantly cheaper than solving the problem.

The larger the enterprise, the more of these there are, especially in IT.

People like that are safer than a random code monkey but that doesn't help if the head of IT gets told 'cut 25%, have a list ready on monday'.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Boeing is laying off off up to a third of thier workforce. GE just announced a 25% reduction. Lyft has already laid off something like 20%, etc. Everybody is getting laid off en masse because we are entering a depression if not a great depression. Computer touchers didn't get hit immediately like the service sector did because they are working already booked and paid for projects. By this fall there are gonna be millions of unemployed engineers and IT workers.

Programmers aren't engineers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Agean90 posted:

sitting at home doing work from the states laptop,by which i mean playing videogames on my PS4 while a webinar plays in the background

public sector lyfe

It's not even stealing it's balancing the scales

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thoguh posted:

People like that are safer than a random code monkey but that doesn't help if the head of IT gets told 'cut 25%, have a list ready on monday'.

this.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

shovelbum posted:

People seem to be spending money just fine in reopened states

Also the moral of coronavirus is to make sure you have an absolutely do nothing white collar job bc they'll never get laid off from the computer touching farm lol

Sometimes I hate having a boring computer toucher job and I want to do something that actually helps people.

But I also like food and going to the doctor

edit: im so hosed lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol so when it gets worse after opening back up, they don't have the power anymore to order it shut back down

For gently caress's sake

I hope the incoming supreme justice doesnt believe in stare decisis

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Thoguh posted:

My opinions are wrapped in the professional world I live in, but people who have the keys to the algorithms will get fired when the company shuts down and not a moment before.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

gatekeeping job titles is dumb and you shouldn't do it

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Penisaurus Sex posted:

We can't be too far away from a governor telling their supreme court to gently caress off. Judicial review is such a farce.

"Let him enforce it, then"

Apr 7, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Agreed, I am now a posting physician

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

more info on the wisconsin case which could doom the state to be a plaguelands forever

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/5/21246697/republican-lawsuit-wisconsin-stay-at-home-legislature-palm

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1257705308471857153

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thoguh posted:

So did easter clusters just not happen?

There were big pops in mid-late April all over the country while New York was dropping away, those two factors pretty much cancelled each other out when you look at the countrywide numbers

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1257625786871414786

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That means I'm an astropath!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1257708274583027714

Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

That means I'm an astropath!

I've run the appropriate diagnostics

*writes you a prescription that says 'turn off your monitor'*

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

lol at defending puffed up computer touchers

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thank gosh cause I got some posts in need of triage Dr.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Brb gonna write my boss that I am an Alpha Warrior fully prepped to return to work, should get the career boost I need

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There haven't been computer engineers since the people who programmed their systems also had to build them by hand, transistor by transistor

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

eric ciaramella posted:

it's cool that there are firefighters in each town who work for the public, but no such doctors. gotta save the houses though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ArmZ posted:

lol at defending puffed up computer touchers

naw you got it backwards, who gives a poo poo if your title is "backend engineer" or "solutions architect" or "systems developer" or whatever

now if this is mechanical or electrical or whatever engineering being mad at computer engineers then by all means rage on, rage against the computer touchers

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Lol this is gonna get cited by every chud court in the country and somehow totally going to end with the US Supreme Court applying this nationwide

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
many so-called engineers rarely if ever touch an engine

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

my bony fealty posted:

No engine, no engineer.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to use the title "engineer" unless you're flying trains

edit: good lord like 87 people beat me to the exact same point in the time it took me to hit reply, tab out, take a bite of beans, tab back in, hit play on youtube then hit post

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tell us, who IS an engineer

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

No engine, no engineer.

my hand converts power into motion when jackin it. im a cum engineer.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
At best those are software developers, but most are simply code monkeys. no real development ability because they've never understood the details of code embryogenesis.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

No engine, no engineer.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

My statistical analysis of this is that volume actually has no effect on MA drivers and the same 27 dipshit drivers who were fated to die still just happened to be on the roadways.

Really, if you think about it, I'm sure there is always a minority of driving fatalities that are really just unavoidable / freak accidents but the majority are probably the same assholes who you see on the freeway and think to yourself "How did they just avoid crashing there?" Well, if they keep doing the same dumb poo poo or they are the same incapacitated elderly/chemically impaired drivers doing the same thing they always do then, Final-Destination-like, they will meet their fate eventually.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Okay caught up on the thread. Cspam is tremendously horny for the GOP and War.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nucleic Acids posted:

Lol this is gonna get cited by every chud court in the country and somehow totally going to end with the US Supreme Court applying this nationwide

Oh if you liked that one you're gonna love this one

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1257715838188208128

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see the Wisconsin supreme court overturn the whole idea of emergency powers

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Really getting tired of my friends texting me multiple times through the day about "man I really want wendys" "man i really want some street tacos"

just go loving get it jesus christ, why is this the only loving thing you can talk about

i'm changing my life and getting rid of all the people in it after this, goddamn

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If the scrotus strikes down the entire idea of emergency powers over this then lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this video is private now, poo poo. I want to find the audio bit of the justice saying "dem fuckin mexicopeoples at the meat plant can fuckin die"