Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really do want to see the game through, I just don't particularly enjoy playing it.

This describes what I felt perfectly. I do think it was worth beating as the atmosphere/story definitely delivered. Here's what I did to beat the game without using planning mode:

A. Get the pet dog move and augment is so you get 2 dogs. Then put whatever move increases it's damage the most. I think I actually had an AOE attack so the two dogs basically destroyed everything on the screen.
B. For your character just combine the initial move that stuns enemies with any other move and spam that to keep enemies stunned while your dogs rip them to pieces. Eventually you will unlock a homing missle upgrade. Make that the primary and attach the stun to it.

Using that strategy I basically play it is an action game, although the combat became very easy and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

The new Lobotomy Corporation translation is a goddamn miracle. Mechanics are comprehensible, dialogue, while very occasionally stilted, is much more easy to follow... And some jerks are complaining about a fan-led translation because they miss their wacky Engrish.

*sigh* Anyway, game was always good, but now it actually tracks much more cleanly. High recommend.

I found most of the changes to be for the better, but I don't like how they changed [Redacted] to be XXXX, just kind of messes with my head while I read the Bios.

As for the game, it's still amazing, now to remember all my weird combos for the different artifacts.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Looks like some milsim guy bought the name last year (from an airsoft gun maker).

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 5, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PowerBeard posted:

I found most of the changes to be for the better, but I don't like how they changed [Redacted] to be XXXX, just kind of messes with my head while I read the Bios.

As for the game, it's still amazing, now to remember all my weird combos for the different artifacts.

Yeah it's so much fun figuring the rules and interactions out. Like, oh, here's some fairies that heal units when they interact with them. And it looks like they follow your unit around afterwards and continue to heal him. And, uh, if you send the unit to interact with another creature while they're following him, the fairies get jealous and instantly murder him

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

So it turns out MicroProse--or something calling itself MicroProse--is still around

They died 2003, then Atari first sold the rights to the brand name in 2007, and it was sold a few more times since then.
No relation to the original company, as far as I can tell.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I initially slept on Pyre because the whole "sports game" gimmick didn't really appeal to me, but that was stupid, I liked it a lot and couldn't put it down when I started playing it. Music owns bones, which is no surprise for a supergiant game, obviously, and the gameplay is basically fantasy NBA jam, so that owns too.

I want so badly to like transistor but after 3 tries to get into it, I just don't like the combat at all. Maybe I'll try the homing missile thing and ignore planning too, because I really do want to see the game through, I just don't particularly enjoy playing it. I suppose there's always youtube, too.

Hades looks great and I hear nothing but praise for it, but I'm stubbornly waiting for it to come out of early access before I get invested in it.

Transistor is really a simple puzzle game, but it doesn't make that clear. The combat involves essentially zero skill, it's about using the right setup and winning for free. If you try to play it as an action game, it's totally unfun. Play to be cheesy and give it another shot, it has a really good story.

My personal ranking of Supergiant's games is Bastion >>> Hades=Transistor (Hades has better gameplay and a ton of character development, Transistor has a better story and a fantastic original concept) > Pyre (I played it for like an hour and never was interested in picking it up again).

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

anilEhilated posted:

Randomizer sounds like the perfect patch for Bloodstained, IMO. Zangetsu, meh. Never been a fan of Richter and Julius.

I enjoyed those modes specifically because they are Belmonts and they had a "what you see is what you get" kind of playstyle that the earlier castlevanias are known for.

I'll be a little less enthusiastic because Zangetsu ain't no Belmont, but being able to just explore with all mobility upgrades with a different character is cool

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/indiemegabooth Does this imply all these games are leaving Steam, or is it just a poorly thought out sale title?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tamba posted:

They died 2003, then Atari first sold the rights to the brand name in 2007, and it was sold a few more times since then.
No relation to the original company, as far as I can tell.

Apparently Bill Stealey, who founded the original company with Sid Meier, is onboard, though probably just to lend it credibility.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Transistor is really a simple puzzle game, but it doesn't make that clear. The combat involves essentially zero skill, it's about using the right setup and winning for free. If you try to play it as an action game, it's totally unfun. Play to be cheesy and give it another shot, it has a really good story.

That tracks, as I really don't like puzzle games at all, ha. I'll give it another go soon probably, I certainly have time now

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/indiemegabooth Does this imply all these games are leaving Steam, or is it just a poorly thought out sale title?

Some of those games have only been for sale for a month or two so I assume the latter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Justin_Brett posted:

The Indie Megabooth (whatever that is) is shutting down per their announcement.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SirDemiface/status/1257534001197330433

:sigh:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Justin_Brett posted:

Has anyone tried Spring Falls? For some reason I'd be down for a chill puzzle game (as opposed to like, a hard thinky puzzle game like a Zachtronics game), so I was wondering how that is. Any other recommendations would be cool!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Final Fantasy XIII saga is a masterclass in escalation of stupidity.

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone tried Spring Falls? For some reason I'd be down for a chill puzzle game (as opposed to like, a hard thinky puzzle game like a Zachtronics game), so I was wondering how that is. Any other recommendations would be cool!
Mini Metro is a really cool puzzle game on sale but I'm not sure I would call it chill.

e: Speaking of the sale - how is Omensight?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

beats for junkies posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I'm pretty sure 3-4 hunters is just a standard patrol, at least once you get up to the Farmlands. This was me trying to leave a bunker one day:

(not pictured: about 3 or 4 more hunters and robodogs off to the left a bit, and another dog behind me)

I hope everyone who's been playing Gen Zero recently has also turned off the alert bar thing when you're being detected. Ideally, you're also playing with a buddy (or two or three), because multiple people lets you actually pull off guerrilla maneuvers and that's when the game shines. We attacked the airport once, and it was rough, but one person drawing fire while the others got into position with fireworks and rockets was useful.

It's a very pretty hiking-through-the-woods game when you're not getting attacked by robots. It can also be kinda janky sometimes, especially after the recent inventory update. I was very surprised when I got it that it wasn't still in early access, because sometimes it feels like it should be. It's fun, especially with friends, but solo can get frustrating when you draw too many robots down on you (hunters, both types of giant walkers, basically anything Military-class) and have no good way to deal with them.

Also, I found a mullet haircut and was able to turn my punk girl into a decent Lady Solid Snake:

It didn't become too bad once I realized the big rectangles to either side of its "head" were weak spots and started smoking them pretty good. Was the first major hurdle I faced so I was overwhelmed (and I still think it was a bit much for that location). But ducking behind cover and taking pot shots really won me the day. Lucky for me they didn't rush towards me and were more comfortable taking pot shots from a small distance away.

The bike physics are chef kiss in janky euro physics. I love/hate it. Apparently humanity hasn't figured out how to peddle up small inclines without a ton of momentum yet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't see the difference. There's some different adjectives but humanity afforded by chaos is incompatible with the future world of Bhunivelze even if he dresses it up as "being free from pain and sadness."

He is conflicted, muddled, and overtaken by enotion by taking in the chaos of Lightning and Hope and you don't really need the same voice actor between Hope and Bhunivelze to see that either.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To people checking out FF8 reminder that A.I. upscaling mods exist and make the backgrounds look fantastic.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zedprime posted:

I don't see the difference. There's some different adjectives but humanity afforded by chaos is incompatible with the future world of Bhunivelze even if he dresses it up as "being free from pain and sadness."

He is conflicted, muddled, and overtaken by enotion by taking in the chaos of Lightning and Hope and you don't really need the same voice actor between Hope and Bhunivelze to see that either.

None of it matters anyway since the real plot of Lightning Returns is dressing her up in increasingly ridiculous outfits and watching her be all sarcastic about having to do a million sidequests.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

zedprime posted:

Motivations matter in a villain more than in most characters. It effectively turns the entire character and how the reader/player is supposed to relate to them around on its head. His original motivation is very Shinto/Buddhist - improving people by taking away imperfections that they aren't ready or willing to give up yet. The English motivation is just cookie cutter villain who wants to turn everyone into slave puppets. The effect may be similar viewed from the outside, but it means something completely different.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm just here for the steak.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I feel that when it comes to killing god in a JRPG, I don't really need motivations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mierenneuker posted:

I feel that when it comes to killing god in a JRPG, I don't really need motivations.

Especially YHVH in Shin Megami Tensei, that dude's an rear end in a top hat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, a lot of writers would tell you that having a good villain is more important than having a good protagonist for the success of a story, but then people don't really approach books and video games the same way.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I was very surprised by the finale of FFIX, you defeat the big bad guy you've been chasing after for half the game and then immediately get locked into a battle with a spirit of death itself. the spirit is never mentioned before or after the battle :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cardiovorax posted:

Motivations matter in a villain more than in most characters. It effectively turns the entire character and how the reader/player is supposed to relate to them around on its head. His original motivation is very Shinto/Buddhist - improving people by taking away imperfections that they aren't ready or willing to give up yet. The English motivation is just cookie cutter villain who wants to turn everyone into slave puppets. The effect may be similar viewed from the outside, but it means something completely different.
It's a corruption of Buddhist improvement though. It's a diamond soul by way of annihilation of your humanity. Slave puppets all the way down.

I guess he's not wearing his fake Buddhist ideas on his sleeves in English but you see the same corruption of the ideas even if the words are a little more dramatic.

E. You still had a lot of people asking why Bhunivelze is the bad guy after playing the English translation, I don't really see the compromise or the cookie cutter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

zedprime posted:

It's a corruption of Buddhist improvement though. It's a diamond soul by way of annihilation of your humanity. Slave puppets all the way down.

I guess he's not wearing his fake Buddhist ideas on his sleeves in English but you see the same corruption of the ideas even if the words are a little more dramatic.
I mean, yeah, but it's a fundamental enough difference that you can see "a corruption of what can be a good idea" as opposed to "and then I shall RULE THE WORLD! mwahaha" in it at all, which I think matters.

After all, he's still supposed to be the villain of the story, after all. It's not supposed to be entirely agreeable unless you're hardcore into that ego-death concept.

zedprime posted:

E. You still had a lot of people asking why Bhunivelze is the bad guy after playing the English translation, I don't really see the compromise or the cookie cutter.
...well, and a lot of gamers are honestly just pretty stupid.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The original Bhunivelse wanted people to not worry about things, a very relatable goal. Localized Bhunivelse wanted to annihilate everyone's minds, i.e. kill them. These are two very different concepts, "from a certain point of view" aside.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone entirely unfamiliar with final fantasy 13 i'm pleased to report that both motivations sound like complete gibberish to me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, he is a Final Fantasy villain.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This conversation reminds me, I don't know if it's a Final Fantasy thing or JRPGs in general, but a lot of final bosses kinda pop out of nowhere. I can think of at least four main FFs where they do that, and one of those does it multiple times.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
This is why FF6 is the best. You know that clown.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Get the pet dog move

I read this as "get the move that allows you to pet dogs" and now I'm sad that I don't have an RPG where I'm building my character to optimally pet dogs

At level 12 you unlock "belly rubs" which is a major game changer

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

This conversation reminds me, I don't know if it's a Final Fantasy thing or JRPGs in general, but a lot of final bosses kinda pop out of nowhere. I can think of at least four main FFs where they do that, and one of those does it multiple times.
A lot of video game writing is pretty bad writing, if we're being honest about it, and those writers noticed at some point that surprising people with a final boss that comes out of the left field worked pretty well the one or two times they did it - so they just started doing it all the time without ever thinking about the fact that this only really works if you don't expect it. It's the same problem that the M. Night Shyamalan twist ending caused for a decade's worth of mystery movies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Why is micro currency eligible for the steam recommendations?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

as someone entirely unfamiliar with final fantasy 13 i'm pleased to report that both motivations sound like complete gibberish to me

As someone who played ff13, its still dogshit even with this minor clarification especially the story/world.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leal posted:

Because hell is real and we're living in it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Leal posted:

Guess you're just a mark.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I was very surprised by the finale of FFIX, you defeat the big bad guy you've been chasing after for half the game and then immediately get locked into a battle with a spirit of death itself. the spirit is never mentioned before or after the battle :shrug:

most of FFIX is about dealing with mortality and the antagonists tend to be invested in shirking or subverting it. kuja, who deals with his inevitable death the worst out of everybody, basically summons the universal grim reaper in a fit of existential angst

when the party fights off necron he doesn't so much lose as go "i guess i'm not wanted here after all, just give me a ring next time you want dimensional extinction"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

e: Speaking of the sale - how is Omensight?

It's neat. It's by the same people who made Stories: The Path of Destinies, and is basically a refinement of that whole third-person-brawler-plus-Groundhog-Day premise. A war has somehow caused the end of the world, and you're stuck living out the last day over and over trying to piece together what happened. You do wind up fighting through the same areas a lot; I thought the different companions were enough to keep it fresh but the repetition might still be a deal-breaker for some. There are two things that are good to know which I don't think the game ever tells you:

--Right after you dodge an attack, you can use your B-button light attack to counter with extra reach and damage.
--Enemies get an ! over their heads when they're about to attack you. Attacks indicated by a white ! can be interrupted if you hit them first. Attacks with a red and yellow ! can only be avoided.