Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
lmao that everywhere in Georgia is basically reporting that the "reopening" weekend was an absolute disaster and was probably more expensive than just staying closed

owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

irpoweroutlet posted:

mood: cracked/pinged

loving lol. Just got ahold of the unemployment office (still working just over 50% of my hours) and the “hazard pay” my work is giving me is putting me about $20 over the (shameful) limit to receive any benefits at all.

You’d think this poo poo would be on a sliding scale. Seriously, if I made $20 less a week, I’d go from receiving $0 to over $600 a week.

I'm unfamiliar with the laws but I've always assumed not using a sliding scale was an intentional way of making government assistance look bad and trap people in poverty, because yes that doesn't make any sense.

Back when I was a supervisor in a Florida warehouse I offered one of my best employees the only monetary compensation I could, which was a tiny little promotion to 'lead'. He turned it down and said he'd lose his medicaid and whatever other govt assistance he was getting for their family if he made any additional money.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the economy will not just come back because the republicans really want it to, a descriptive play in 3 months

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Agean90 posted:

because the easiest way to get into another country involves a highly in demand skill, local language knowledge and/or some saved up money to handle the costs of moving plus paperwork. the idea that the 90% of people who just work some dull lovely job can just up and move to another country at the drop of a hat usually leaves out something that gives the a leg up on their peers, usually some ancestory requirement or familial connection

I can't think of any company that's gonna go through all the rigamarole of filing visa papers for someone whos job is wrangling timesheets, let alone anyone stuck working multiple part time jobs.

Can I just show up and claim amnesty coming from a failed state?

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Schnorkles posted:

the economy will not just come back because the republicans really want it to, a descriptive play in 3 months

please clap

please buy crap

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Blockade posted:

Ohios doing something lovely (again).

Anyone who uses this is a cop:

https://twitter.com/ChrisOpfer/status/1257645828102995970

this reminds me of when the police dept of Berkeley, CA set up a dropbox account for citizens to upload identifying evidence of antifa rioters

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zotix posted:

no you fool
you have to enter the visa lottery

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How can you look back on the last 4-5 years and be optimistic that the worst thing isn't going to happen

gambler's fallacy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Schnorkles posted:

that death toll tho

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
like, i'm pretty sure there's a whole spectrum of opinions itt regarding "how far will the chuds and the capitalist taskmasters go in their propaganda pushing in order to get the proles back to work"

personally imho it's not unthinkable that hospitals and governors and whatnot are willing to fudge some numbers in order to safe face, Prevent Panic, and Keep The Country Running.

i do think shovelbum is posting sloppily re: "right now" vs "the world energy has presented itself to my minds eye and i see where it is heading in the forseeable future." but ,sadly, this faux pas is unactionable because time does not actually exist

Star Phlatulence has issued a correction as of 19:31 on May 5, 2020

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

brugroffil posted:

that death toll tho

Look if we stop counting the numbers will stop going up

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Zotix posted:

Seriously though, why does it seem near impossible for an American to get work in another first world western nation. When I worked for Hilton it was near impossible to get manager positions outside of the country.

I'd seriously consider moving to another first world nation in the next 3-5 years.

Wealthy european and anglophone ethnostates didn't get that way by letting in everyone now did they?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Zotix posted:

Seriously though, why does it seem near impossible for an American to get work in another first world western nation. When I worked for Hilton it was near impossible to get manager positions outside of the country.

I'd seriously consider moving to another first world nation in the next 3-5 years.

We are worthless and stupid - no one wants us

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

lmao that everywhere in Georgia is basically reporting that the "reopening" weekend was an absolute disaster and was probably more expensive than just staying closed

owned

I don't know if I agree with that. I went out on Friday just south of Atl airport. Had to hit a Lowe's and it was fuckin mobbed. 60% or so had masks, but there must have been hundreds of people in the store. I bought what I needed and then chilled in the nursery area looking at mother's day gifts until the nursery line went away and got the gently caress out.

Every restaurant was deserted. I just don't see how restaurants at any level survive this. The profit margin in restaurants were already razor thin, and now people aren't eating out and even if they did you won't make enough money adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
Ride it. Ride it like a cowboy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How can you look back on the last 4-5 years and be optimistic that the worst thing isn't going to happen

The inevitable result of this mindset is people trying to one-up each other about how awful they think the world is for internet points. Some do it with an actually existing layer of irony but sometimes you get poo poo like this.

shovelbum posted:

Yeah it's becoming pretty clear that the lockdown to paralyze the opposition and then reopening on their terms while allowing the pandemic to slaughter POC has been the plan since like December

And when thoughts like this are encouraged, you end up with a man screaming at his wife for being cautiously optimistic about the near future. If it's REALLY bad, that man a week later will be saying that actually things WERE getting better but now they're DEFINITELY going to be exactly as bad as he imagines, without any self-awareness at all.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Zotix posted:

I don't know if I agree with that. I went out on Friday just south of Atl airport. Had to hit a Lowe's and it was fuckin mobbed. 60% or so had masks, but there must have been hundreds of people in the store. I bought what I needed and then chilled in the nursery area looking at mother's day gifts until the nursery line went away and got the gently caress out.

Every restaurant was deserted. I just don't see how restaurants at any level survive this. The profit margin in restaurants were already razor thin, and now people aren't eating out and even if they did you won't make enough money adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Lowe's has been mobbed every day during the "closed" economy. Same with grocery stores, etc.

Certain sections of the economy are okay right now, a lot aren't.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1257729606213386241

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

owned

BUT AMERICANS ARE FLOCKING TO RESTAURANTS AND MOVIE THEATERS LIKE SHEEP TO THE SLAUGHTER

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1257730562963288064

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

hey blue states stop financing red states with your taxes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The inevitable result of this mindset is people trying to one-up each other about how awful they think the world is for internet points. Some do it with an actually existing layer of irony but sometimes you get poo poo like this.

And when thoughts like this are encouraged, you end up with a man screaming at his wife for being cautiously optimistic about the near future. If it's REALLY bad, that man a week later will be saying that actually things WERE getting better but now they're DEFINITELY going to be exactly as bad as he imagines, without any self-awareness at all.

shovelbum gets dogpiled every couple of days for posting crazy talk dude

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Schnorkles posted:

owned

quote:

John Whitfield tried to combat his cabin fever with a trip to the Mall of Georgia in Buford. He was curious how many stores would be open and hoped to get a gift for Mother’s Day. He didn’t find a present, but said he felt safe on his shopping trip.

“It seems like they’re doing everything they can,” Whitfield said. “I don’t think they should’ve opened yet, but that’s just me.”
:blinks:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zotix posted:

hardware stores have been doing very well throughout this whole thing and haven't been closed down IIRC?

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Me, having a kid*: LOOK HOW UNIQUE AND SPECIAL I AM! *punts baby into trash can while dancing under neon lights that spell out I'M AWESOME*

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

[COVID-19 May] THERE IS A MEAT

SHORTAGE

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The plaguexecutions will continue until the number goes back up and then they'll still continue because now it's everywhere

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mission accomplished

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're all acting shocked at the chief justice in wisconsin saying "who give a gently caress, just a bunch of poor b**ners are gonna die" but that's going to be the talking point of the entire GOP within 8 hours or so.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Agean90 posted:

because the easiest way to get into another country involves a highly in demand skill, local language knowledge and/or some saved up money to handle the costs of moving plus paperwork. the idea that the 90% of people who just work some dull lovely job can just up and move to another country at the drop of a hat usually leaves out something that gives the a leg up on their peers, usually some ancestory requirement or familial connection

I can't think of any company that's gonna go through all the rigamarole of filing visa papers for someone whos job is wrangling timesheets, let alone anyone stuck working multiple part time jobs.

If you are halfway decently attractive physically you could also try becoming a maid/sex slave/cabana boy to a fat foreigner up until they marry you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lmfao

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1257730562963288064

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Zotix posted:

depending on what European state you try to enter you'll either be granted entry dependent on your willingness to testify to the corrosive effects of "them" on western Civilization or left up to a rng visa lottery designed by a racist

assuming the us ever gets acknowledged as a failed state and everyone just doesn't pretend otherwise to keep the stonks up

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Last Chance posted:

hardware stores have been doing very well throughout this whole thing and haven't been closed down IIRC?

i've seen this too here in central texas

also, greenspaces and trails are packed on weekdays

it's as if a lot people suddenly had tons of free time on their hands

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

shovelbum gets dogpiled every couple of days for posting crazy talk dude

That post I quoted passed completely without comment.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

BOGO LOAD posted:

[COVID-19 May] THERE IS A MEAT

SHORTAGE

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1257358545881837569
I'm getting horned up for peak death election day

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Zberan Madowinty posted:

We're all acting shocked at the chief justice in wisconsin saying "who give a gently caress, just a bunch of poor b**ners are gonna die" but that's going to be the talking point of the entire GOP within 8 hours or so.

they're gonna be very surprised when they learn that the virus can make the leap from a poor person to a regular folk

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Schnorkles posted:

Lowe's has been mobbed every day during the "closed" economy. Same with grocery stores, etc.

Certain sections of the economy are okay right now, a lot aren't.

Yup. I had to run to Meijer for our weekly grocery trip last Friday morning. First day of Illinois' mask requirement. Compliance at Meijer was 90%+! Store was still crowded.

They share a parking lot with Home Depot, so I drove by out of curiosity. Much lower mask-wearing percentage, parking lot completely full on a Friday morning. This is in one of the states that is handling it better than most, lmao even without chudge rulings and idiot poo poo like "the state of Georgia" we'd be doomed.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
ngl I had the urge to get out and go in Home Depot and buy a bunch of wood and plants and potting soil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Yup. I had to run to Meijer for our weekly grocery trip last Friday morning. First day of Illinois' mask requirement. Compliance at Meijer was 90%+! Store was still crowded.

They share a parking lot with Home Depot, so I drove by out of curiosity. Much lower mask-wearing percentage, parking lot completely full on a Friday morning. This is in one of the states that is handling it better than most, lmao even without chudge rulings and idiot poo poo like "the state of Georgia" we'd be doomed.

old dudes loving love hanging out at the Home Depot, talking about lumber dimensions and poo poo. All day.