Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hello is this where I sell my vote? PLACE YOUR BID NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Jarmak posted:

Both lose isn't an option. He's not splitting some hair it's very clear what he's doing: He's not trying to tell people how to vote but he's also not letting people get off with bullshit hand-waiving away that wanting Biden to lose isn't also wanting Trump to win. In other words: he's not telling you what to do but he's calling bullshit on people trying to get out of owning the implications of their position.

I'm not doing this either. I am just predicting that there is some contingent of leftist twitter that is hurtling down the rabbit hole trying to get the most extreme position possible, and eventually that will be supporting Trump. They're going to do it with or without me noticing it, and I don't for a second believe that they will have any sense of self-awareness about it.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Oh well if there’s going to be a slippery slope I guess we have no choice but to slide on down.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How are u posted:

No. The problem was you thought you could leverage a voting bloc that we discovered is too small to win the biggest prize (presidency) without building on a foundation of winning state and local elections and proving to people that the left can govern and can govern better than anybody else.

The problem was going all in on top-down rather than bottom-up.

The left gets shut out of most anything that even smells of power, but somehow this is proof that they have "not proved their ability to lead".

It seems to me that capital is eager for the left to enter the (corrupt) system, where it can either be absorbed and neutralized or utterly defeated so that new left activists are discouraged from further action.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xombie posted:

I'm not doing this either. I am just predicting that there is some contingent of leftist twitter that is hurtling down the rabbit hole trying to get the most extreme position possible, and eventually that will be supporting Trump. They're going to do it with or without me noticing it, and I don't for a second believe that they will have any sense of self-awareness about it.

They passed that point months ago, what we're seeing now are the contortions to justify it to themselves.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

How are u posted:

And the guy whose entire campaign was "I was Obama's VP, I represent stability and a return to responsible governance" won it all.

I have a lot of problems with Obama's administration, but running against his legacy clearly was not the winning strategy in this primary!

I guess we better get ready for the next fascist totalitarian that will inevitably arise once Biden is done crushing the people of this nation with all kinds of debt and entrenching corporate power within the political establishment.

Vote blue no matter who.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

How are u posted:

And the guy whose entire campaign was "I was Obama's VP, I represent stability and a return to responsible governance" won it all.

I have a lot of problems with Obama's administration, but running against his legacy clearly was not the winning strategy in this primary!

No, you don’t have a lot of problems with Obama’s administration.

I know this for a fact, you know this for a fact.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Pomp posted:

please stop saying virginia model

the virginia model: getting a super majority and not even bringing the repeal of right to work up for vote. unions are for uncouth slobs, not the fine folks that make up NOVA.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shifting organizing to local and state level stuff and planning things out for 4 more years of Trump is just the sensible thing to do. Sorry if you think that's the same as supporting Trump because I'm not wasting my time with a dude whose path to victory is even more tenuous and reliant on luck than Hillary lol

If you think Biden is some progressive champion or will surround himself with them and empower them, well that's your own thing and have fun with it, keep pushing people to support him as the lesser evil or whatever even if you're loathe to say you yourself actually support him (not a good strategy btw) but if you really want to help him out, go to conservative spaces to do so or drive 4 states over to his nearest campaign office to see what they need

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

If you're going to assemble together 22 pages on everything ranging from Chinese scaremongering to social media presence the least you could do is tie it all together instead of trying to summarize it with twitter and Obama's VP.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm under no illusion that most of you are more left than me at this point, but I also don't think it matters who you are if you're advancing the argument to usher in fascism so communism can somehow overthrow it. 10% chance to stop the apocalypse, right?

Exactly.

The libs are fascists. The libs are going to sell you out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The left gets shut out of most anything that even smells of power, but somehow this is proof that they have "not proved their ability to lead".

It seems to me that capital is eager for the left to enter the (corrupt) system, where it can either be absorbed and neutralized or utterly defeated so that new left activists are discouraged from further action.

worked with the hippies and a bunch of the civil rights movement! shame that there's no future to sell out for, only advancing evil in the present and then getting thrown aside as a have-not

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm under no illusion that most of you are more left than me at this point, but I also don't think it matters who you are if you're advancing the argument to usher in fascism so communism can somehow overthrow it. 10% chance to stop the apocalypse, right?

Liberals have sold us out time and again and will always do so in a heartbeat. It is not at all in our best interests to support them in order to beat a man who does nothing more than shed the thin veneer of decorum to reveal the actual face of the American government and people. Just because it makes you feel more comfortable to put the mask on doesn't mean it helps the rest of us.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

They passed that point months ago, what we're seeing now are the contortions to justify it to themselves.

love to get talked down to by libs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pomp posted:

The libs are fascists. The libs are going to sell you out.

10%'s better than nothing, as that goon earlier said. Better make sure you get that 10 instead of zero. We can't afford it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You're sure you're not just seeing the contortions liberals are making in order to justify supporting a racist, raping, dementia-addled war criminal? Projection is very much in vogue amongst reactionaries, you know!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pussy Cartel posted:

Liberals have sold us out time and again and will always do so in a heartbeat. It is not at all in our best interests to support them in order to beat a man who does nothing more than shed the thin veneer of decorum to reveal the actual face of the American government and people. Just because it makes you feel more comfortable to put the mask on doesn't mean it helps the rest of us.

So you're arguing that it is in your best interest for Trump to win another term.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

10%'s better than nothing, as that goon earlier said. Better make sure you get that 10 instead of zero.

lmao

talk to me when the rich and wall street are told to just accept 10% of what they want spread out over 30 years and implemented in a way that can be easily rolled back when their counterparts take power

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How are u posted:

So you're arguing that it is in your best interest for Trump to win another term.

No....not supporting Biden is not automatically a vote for Trump.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How are u posted:

No, I'm arguing that Trump and Biden are both sides of the same coin, and that liberals just want to be a little more comfortable with themselves while sweeping the rest of us under the rug regardless. There are more than two options here, regardless of what liberals keep saying.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
My favorite thing about contemporary liberalism is how if you’re doing anything except being performatively mad or snarky about Donald Trump, you’re actively supporting him, especially if you’re using that time to instead complain about the politicians who are supposed to be on your side.

I get why people feel mad and bad about their political side getting criticized as evil when being a good person is part of their core identity. That is a tough process! Maybe you should sit with those bad feelings and think on them and let them change you. Instead of doubling down and spending another solid 8 hours arguing with your posting enemies about why it’s important to vote for a senile rapist segregationist whose most significant political act in the last 20 years was being racist enough to convince white people to vote for a black president.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Both lose isn't an option. He's not splitting some hair it's very clear what he's doing: He's not trying to tell people how to vote but he's also not letting people get off with bullshit hand-waiving away that wanting Biden to lose isn't also wanting Trump to win. In other words: he's not telling you what to do but he's calling bullshit on people trying to get out of owning the implications of their position.

right, that's the point people are making, he obviously is telling people to vote for Biden but doesn't want to admit that so there's this goofy rhetorical sleight of hand "I'm not telling you what to do, but if you don't do X you're a horrible evil person"

Jarmak posted:

Giving a eulogy for someone is not platforming them... that word means something and is bad for a specific reason, it's not just generic shorthand for :decorum:

bwahahahaha

:ok:

There's almost no point that I won't pedantically dispute, but you managed to find something that isn't worth a response even from my anal-retentive rear end. "Working with white supremacists to enact their agenda, and publicly praising them so prolifically that you're to eulogize them as very fine people is somehow not 'platforming' them"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 5, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

You're sure you're not just seeing the contortions liberals are making in order to justify supporting a racist, raping, dementia-addled war criminal? Projection is very much in vogue amongst reactionaries, you know!

Oh, I know.

quote:

Let's dispense with the pretend notions that anyone here is going to vote green or write in Ventura to sooth their conscience, then. It's no better a salve. Tear off the mask. March in step. The revolution is around the corner. Are you sure it's yours, though?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

right, that's the point people are making, he obviously is telling people to vote for Biden but doesn't want to admit that so there's this goofy rhetorical sleight of hand "I'm not telling you what to do, but if you don't do X you're a horrible evil person"

I am not and have never told anyone to vote for Joe Biden, or told anyone that they're bad for not voting for Joe Biden. I don't think you're bad for not voting for Joe Biden.

There may be people who think that using your vote in protest is actively encouraging the eventual outcome. I do not. If you don't want to vote for Joe Biden, don't vote for him. It's your vote.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 5, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

10%'s better than nothing, as that goon earlier said. Better make sure you get that 10 instead of zero. We can't afford it.

Biden is not going to protect you from climate apocalyse. His brain is fried. You are, at best, voting for his VP which will be picked by the party who just told all of us to gently caress off with wanting healthcare and a stable planet

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-never-trumpers-crashed-the-democratic-party/

The Democratic establishment is explicitly allying with neocons to freeze the left wing of the party out of power but y'all want to claim that progressives/leftists will be able to push Democrats left if they just buckle down and tow the line

It's really funny honestly, Biden is talking about putting republicans in his cabinet and taking advice from Larry Summers and Chris Dodd but keep on deluding yourselves that you'll have any say, or will even be allowed to criticize the Biden administration without being called a republican sympathizer who is worse than Trump

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Let's dispense with the pretend notions that anyone here is going to vote green or write in Ventura to sooth their conscience, then. It's no better a salve. Tear off the mask. March in step. The revolution is around the corner. Are you sure it's yours, though?

You seem weirdly hellbent on painting trans people as fascists. Is this supposed to convince us the Democrats give a poo poo about us?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pomp posted:

Biden is not going to protect you from climate apocalyse. His brain is fried. You are, at best, voting for his VP which will be picked by the party who just told all of us to gently caress off with wanting healthcare and a stable planet

Exactly so. 10% to stop the apocalypse. Make sure of it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

lol is this a Markov bot trained on West Wing scripts

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How are u posted:

Like what they're doing successfully in Virginia.

While I won't deny the possibility that you're communicating with us from an alternate reality, here in Earth Alpha there is literally nothing about Virginia that implies a reason to be optimistic about "a coalition of centrist and a handful of leftist politicians*" advancing most left-wing goals. If anything, it's the opposite - it shows us that a coalition including centrists won't even pass left-wing legislation as tame as repealing Right to Work when they have a majority.

There is nothing virtuous about blindly espousing a message of baseless optimism and castigating people for not agreeing, particularly when your message involves supporting a strategy that will result in direct opposition to the biggest left-wing goals.

While I sympathize with the desperate desire to have some aspect of reality actually support your beliefs, unfortunately reality is not so kind.

* Are you not aware that Democratic representation in Congress already matches what you're calling "the Virginia model" here? What are you even proposing be done differently in the context of a presidential or federal congressional election? None of this makes any sense. You seem to be implying that the current strategy has been "a minority of leftists that can't gain enough power to do things" but...that has never been representative of the Democratic Party.

As best I can tell, "the Virginia model" is some sort of synonym for "not being rude on the internet"

Epic High Five posted:

even setting aside criticisms of the Virginia model and how somebody within state level politics who shares a lot of my beliefs, Lee Carter, seems conspicuously excluded from all discussion of it despite him being the driving force behind a lot of stuff it takes credit for, if I live in a red state the Dems have given up on, exactly what does this sort of hyper-regionalization toward populations dense with high earning well-graduated people that the Dems have chosen to elevator over labor have to offer me? Or anybody else in areas where concentration of the correct sort of wealth under 8 years of Obama realigned a purple state blue?

Yeah, this is another good point. Even if the deeply flawed strategy of leveraging those kind of communities to gain Democratic control and achieve a very limited set of progressive goals while directly opposing others somehow made sense, it's inherently impossible in most states (and definitely has no relationship to any sort of federal election).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 5, 2020

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Xombie posted:

I am not and have never told anyone to vote for Joe Biden, or told anyone that they're bad for not voting for Joe Biden. I don't think you're bad for not voting for Joe Biden.

There may be people who think that using your vote in protest is actively encouraging the eventual outcome. I do not. If you don't want to vote for Joe Biden, don't vote for him. It's your vote.

Weren’t you claiming that a vote for anyone but Biden is a vote for Trump? Do we really have to do this again?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

*soothe

So, what's your point here? I'm a fascist? Fascism is coming either way? Fascism is coming unless we vote for noted white supremacist war criminal Joe Biden? Your ham-handed prose is very bad and you should just say what you mean.

e:

Epic High Five posted:

lol is this a Markov bot trained on West Wing scripts

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No....not supporting Biden is not automatically a vote for Trump.

If you live in a swing state and if Biden is ultimately the candidate then yes it is. Outside of that not so much.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

If you live in a swing state and if Biden is ultimately the candidate then yes it is. Outside of that not so much.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Why would you reply to something that you clearly didn’t read? Biden’s plan is objectively insufficient for correcting the climate and all of the people on his VP shortlist are no better. And since the Dems will work even harder to protect an incumbent from a primary, welp, looks like we’re suddenly two years away from the worst climate catastrophe projections after Year Seven of the Klobuchar administration, and I feel like it might be hard to get voters to sign on to the Chelsea Clinton candidacy.

Voting for Biden isn’t a vote for protecting the climate. It’s a vote for putting a bumpersticker on your car talking about saving the whales before taking a trip to loving SeaWorld.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

How are u posted:

No, actually, the only way to vote for Trump is to literally vote for him. I don't get any negavotes so I can only support a candidate. If I don't support either, well, too bad I guess.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

How are u posted:

I think that you'll find if you live in a swing state and Biden is ultimately the candidate, then a vote for anyone but Trump is a vote for Biden.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Shere posted:

No, actually, the only way to vote for Trump is to literally vote for him. I don't get any negavotes so I can only support a candidate. If I don't support either, well, too bad I guess.

It's just simple math, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

How are u posted:

It's just simple math, man.

You're right, it is simple math that the only way to vote for Trump is to vote for him. I'm glad we agree.