Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robert J. Omb posted:

More Streets of Rage 4:

One of the most frustrating aspects of the original trilogy was that enemies could be knocked off the screen. You’d then have to wait for them to saunter back on, killing the pace.

Now, the sides of the screen are treated as walls. Not only do enemies no longer disappear off-screen, they’ll bounce back for repeated kickings!

Maybe one day you'll even be allowed to walk to the left in a beat-em-up game too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Let's not get too crazy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Here's something I liked when I picked up SoR4 last night. Bad guys and cops are still programmed to fight each other, it doesn't have to be you in the middle of the brawl. I learned quickly how to make them engage so I can catch a breather and only have to dispatch the winners. I've loved getting enemies to aggro each other ever since I discovered it in the original Doom.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something's bugging me in Bastion now that I've beaten Queen Mary. I like the structure, where you first go through some basic levels to set up the midway plot point of the Survivor betraying you and smashing the core of the Bastion and only after that happens do the later levels unlock and actually start throwing proper bosses at you, with earlier levels only being hordes of regular enemies. I'm sure I've played another game with a similar structure where you explore a bunch of areas but only unlock the bosses later after an event, but can't recall which game. I'm probably thinking Dark Souls but I can't help but wonder if there are others that segment like that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve been messing around with the (surprisingly enjoyable) GBC Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons games, and they’re really great and full of little things. My favorite so far: since it’s on the GBC there are only two equippable item slots, so the game almost never requires you to use a shield - instead you can just slice any physical projectile out of midair with decent timing. Stuff like Roc’s Feather is also tuned to allow you to hop right over enemies and projectiles when necessary. The whole engine feels really good, even among 2d Zeldas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Oracle games are honestly secret gems of the Zelda series. They don't really do enough special to be anyone's favorite Zelda, but they should always be pretty high up the list, there's just so much to like and so little to hate.

Also, serious credit where it's due on making the linked game system at the time; that's innovative to a level where it's almost disappointing that it came too late for anyone to borrow from. I remember actually looking into this, and outside of PC RPGs the Oracle games are the first instance of carrying over a save file into a whole other game (though not the first attempt; Stop N Swop would've gotten there if Rare could've done it). As far as I know it takes until Mass Effect 2 for that feature to happen again outside of PCs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The mortar in Bastion owns, it's fun and powerful, and now I've upgraded it's speed and blast radius it's going to wreck everything.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The Oracle games are honestly secret gems of the Zelda series. They don't really do enough special to be anyone's favorite Zelda, but they should always be pretty high up the list, there's just so much to like and so little to hate.

they're great but there's no loving way i could have beat the dance minigame without savestates.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vandar posted:

I'm going to second a recommendation for Unavowed here. drat near everything that comes out of Wadjet Eye Games is great, and Unavowed is by far the best overall game they've released.
it is a great game, made better by how I drunkenly named my character "Adolf Hitler lol" without knowing a thing about the second act twist.

I posted some screenshots of some of the resulting final-act dialogue ("That's not me in the circle... it's... Adolf Hitler lol") but Dave Gilbert saw it and said I gave him a guilty chuckle so I felt ashamed and deleted.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Robert J. Omb posted:

More Streets of Rage 4:

One of the most frustrating aspects of the original trilogy was that enemies could be knocked off the screen. You’d then have to wait for them to saunter back on, killing the pace.

Now, the sides of the screen are treated as walls. Not only do enemies no longer disappear off-screen, they’ll bounce back for repeated kickings!

There seem to be many achievements for classic SoR actions (e.g. throwing someone down a hole): it’s great!

this sounds incredible and should be implemented in all beat'em ups!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe one day you'll even be allowed to walk to the left in a beat-em-up game too!

SoR4 does actually let you scroll the screen back a bit sometimes -- basically, some arenas are wider than one screen's worth. Unfortunately it's not always clear when you're on ratchet scrolling vs. when you're allowed to go back to the left.

Allowing you to always traverse the stage freely would require coming up with something to discourage leaving health items on the ground in case you need them later. I don't want to make it to the end of the level and then trek back to near the beginning to grab that turkey I didn't need at the time. Similarly, I don't want to be constantly backtracking to pick up fresh weapons off the ground after the one I was using broke. In short, this isn't an unsolvable problem, but it's not easy to solve either.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

SoR4 does actually let you scroll the screen back a bit sometimes -- basically, some arenas are wider than one screen's worth. Unfortunately it's not always clear when you're on ratchet scrolling vs. when you're allowed to go back to the left.

Allowing you to always traverse the stage freely would require coming up with something to discourage leaving health items on the ground in case you need them later. I don't want to make it to the end of the level and then trek back to near the beginning to grab that turkey I didn't need at the time. Similarly, I don't want to be constantly backtracking to pick up fresh weapons off the ground after the one I was using broke. In short, this isn't an unsolvable problem, but it's not easy to solve either.

Even without backtracking being a thing, it's not uncommon for items in beat-em-ups to disappear shortly after being uncovered.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't enough to save me from originally assuming they were talking about Doom Eternal though. :colbert:

Say the full name of the game all the time!

My favorite part of The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is... wait, poo poo, I forgot

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Playing Final Fantasy VII again and I love how they frame the Beginners' Room as Cloud puffing his chest at all the newbies hanging out in there, all like "you want to explain stuff to me buddy sit down and listen while I explain stuff to you I WAS IN SOLDIER"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Playing Final Fantasy VII again and I love how they frame the Beginners' Room as Cloud puffing his chest at all the newbies hanging out in there, all like "you want to explain stuff to me buddy sit down and listen while I explain stuff to you I WAS IN SOLDIER"

I'm sad they didn't include that in FFVIIR :sigh:. I just wanted to see what that girl's limit break would've actually looked like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Decided to give Hollow Knight another go, got to Greenpath. I like that the NPCs all have totally unique looks and also that there are audio cues for everything like the Cartographer's humming letting you know that he's close, or sounds of other characters leading you to certain sidequests like the guy who's being eaten by a giant beetle (that I'll try again at killing when I have more mobility)

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

BioEnchanted posted:

Decided to give Hollow Knight another go, got to Greenpath. I like that the NPCs all have totally unique looks and also that there are audio cues for everything like the Cartographer's humming letting you know that he's close, or sounds of other characters leading you to certain sidequests like the guy who's being eaten by a giant beetle (that I'll try again at killing when I have more mobility)

I'd been stuck in the fungal wastes for a bit and then dropped the game about a year ago. I got back into it due to the lockdown and by no longer caring about where I thought I was "supposed" to go I'm having significantly more fun. Stumbling into a new area quite a distance from a bench and having no map yet is extremely fun. Realising that I can move a little slower and actually think during boss fights has made things easier too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

*quiet, moody atmosphere of the town, you walk into the shop to pick up some-*

*loud loving sigh* BAA-PHANAMA

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

*quiet, moody atmosphere of the town, you walk into the shop to pick up some-*

*loud loving sigh* BAA-PHANAMA

I love that shopkeep. She's the best.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
While looking if I've already mentioned my appreciation for that shopkeep (I have), I also found this post

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't myself, which is why I'm glad I can mute the voice overs. Appreciate the extra work for those who do enjoy them though!

e: but really I only bought it in hopes of a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake/port/whatever for PC

Well, the SD3 (now Trials of Mana) remake is out, and it's better than I could have hoped. Not saying it's perfect (funnily enough the voice-acting is still an issue), but it's a lot of fun!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Well, the SD3 (now Trials of Mana) remake is out, and it's better than I could have hoped. Not saying it's perfect (funnily enough the voice-acting is still an issue), but it's a lot of fun!

I've been watching a streamer (Omnigamer) play it, and hearing Angela go "Eeep!" 1 in 3 times she jumps or rolls just does not get old.

Fortunately you can play with Japanese voice acting and English subtitles. That makes it a lot harder to detect bad voice acting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been watching a streamer (Omnigamer) play it, and hearing Angela go "Eeep!" 1 in 3 times she jumps or rolls just does not get old.

Fortunately you can play with Japanese voice acting and English subtitles. That makes it a lot harder to detect bad voice acting.

Duran laughs his rear end off while fighting and it is the best

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh poo poo, they remade SD3? Man, I've played through that several times but never beat it. Think I'd get stalled out around the time you get the 2nd level of crystals?

Looking at a couple videos, it looks decent.
I'd rather have it still be sprites, but I've accepted that the only time I'll see spritework anymore will be small indie game studios.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 15:51 on May 5, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh poo poo, they remade SD3? Man, I've played through that several times but never beat it. Think I'd get stalled out around the time you get the 2nd level of crystals?

Yeah its great. Totally new 3d combat system, reorchestrated soundtrack, hilariously bad voice acting, the works

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't enough to save me from originally assuming they were talking about Doom Eternal though. :colbert:

Say the full name of the game all the time!

Yea, people might get confused if you mention Jedi Knight 3 and not the full title Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'd really like to play the sd3 remake but not before it's around 20 bux. I love the series but I'm not gonna pay 50 bux for it.

On a thing I enjoy in games: I've been playing xcom 2 again with the war of the chosen dlc and its very cool how you turn from a small scrappy group of soldiers with human equipment into power armor wearing, plasma toting badass es who just mow down enemies that were a huge issue before.

The sense of scaling is very nice and rewarding.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I started playing Totally Reliable Delivery Service on a whim and one little thing I just discovered is that you can get your pants blown off in a tornado (there's an achievement for it) and they went to the effort of giving your tighty whiteys a skidmark. Or since it's visible from the outside, maybe my character just shat himself in the tornado

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm finding exploring in Hollow Knight very satisfying as I waded through a tricky area dodging tough and fast mantis enemies and at the bottom I found a useful equippable item that let's me dash twice in a row. Getting back out is going to be difficult, but I'm glad I went down there. I also like that no money feels wasted unlike in Dark Souls because everything is unique. You buy an item, you have it forever and it's effect allows you to have some kind of progress once you figure out how. Also the little grubs you rescue are adorable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Yea, people might get confused if you mention Jedi Knight 3 and not the full title Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy

Why did you decide to be an rear end today?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is actually basically being more and more like a single player RPG that happens to be online the further along it goes (you can even do the latest dungeons with AI companions, like Guild Wars 1's henchmen) and you can pick dialogue choices and stuff. The downside is that you still need to go through the really slow stripped down base game before you get to the actually good expansions - it cannot be overstated how much the story improves once you hit the first expansion.

As someone who recently started ff14 Jesus Christ is it slow.

The main story isn't even collect bear asses it's walk from point a to point b and back again.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Len posted:

As someone who recently started ff14 Jesus Christ is it slow.

The main story isn't even collect bear asses it's walk from point a to point b and back again.

Good news! The next major patch is fixing that and they're completely overhauling the base game cause.. yeah.. it's dire!

People singing the praises of 14 are honestly mostly talking about the expansions in Heavensward and Shadowbringers which are both incredibly good. Stormblood is ok if you really like political things or kinda boring if you don't and ARR is just so, so slow to start and has an awful postgame till the first expansion

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Good news! The next major patch is fixing that and they're completely overhauling the base game cause.. yeah.. it's dire!

People singing the praises of 14 are honestly mostly talking about the expansions in Heavensward and Shadowbringers which are both incredibly good. Stormblood is ok if you really like political things or kinda boring if you don't and ARR is just so, so slow to start and has an awful postgame till the first expansion

When's that supposed to drop? Because good God this is just bad. But I'm sticking it out because I feel like I'm moving at a good pace through it? Almost level 30

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Was slated for mid-June. Then Covid-19 happened. Probably July some time.

The problem with ARR is that the base game is pretty slow and then you complete the game and you now have to do 100 quests that were added in patches before you can move on to the fist expansion.
The next patch is straight up deleting 13% of the pre-expansion quests and significantly shortening the ones they couldn't delete for story reasons.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 20:43 on May 5, 2020

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Len posted:

When's that supposed to drop? Because good God this is just bad. But I'm sticking it out because I feel like I'm moving at a good pace through it? Almost level 30

Oh, you poor sweet summer child. You've just hit the Bad Parts.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Len posted:

Yeah June/July I'd imagine?

The good news is that if you're hitting 30 you're probably just about done with the stuff around Titan? If you haven't started Titan stuff yet then uh.. rip cause you're at the worst part.

The game picks up there somewhat and continues to be good till the credits sequence of ARR. The bad news is that post ARR pre HW is imo just as bad until the end sequence where it abruptly gets good again. From there the game rockets to really, really good till stormblood.

Shadowbringers is seriously one of the best final fantasy games in a very long time though so there's that at least!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah June/July I'd imagine?

The good news is that if you're hitting 30 you're probably just about done with the stuff around Titan? If you haven't started Titan stuff yet then uh.. rip cause you're at the worst part.

The game picks up there somewhat and continues to be good till the credits sequence of ARR. The bad news is that post ARR pre HW is imo just as bad until the end sequence where it abruptly gets good again. From there the game rockets to really, really good till stormblood.

Shadowbringers is seriously one of the best final fantasy games in a very long time though so there's that at least!

I just made my grand company decision and have to go murder some fish men tonight

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm finding exploring in Hollow Knight very satisfying as I waded through a tricky area dodging tough and fast mantis enemies and at the bottom I found a useful equippable item that let's me dash twice in a row. Getting back out is going to be difficult, but I'm glad I went down there. I also like that no money feels wasted unlike in Dark Souls because everything is unique. You buy an item, you have it forever and it's effect allows you to have some kind of progress once you figure out how. Also the little grubs you rescue are adorable.

Oh boy the next couple of updates out of you are going to be interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Warbird posted:

Oh boy the next couple of updates out of you are going to be interesting.

Navigating is a lot more fun now that I have the walljump from the Mantis Village, so i'm glad I persevered this far.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing FFXIV over the past couple weeks and gotten just past the Garuda fight and my Dragoon is level 50 now.

Gun to my head I could not tell you whats going on in the storyline. I was just so happy that Minfilla got kidnapped so I don't have to go to god drat walking sands so much spoiler for the lvl 30 guy, he may not have made it that far yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was just so happy that Minfilla got kidnapped so I don't have to go to god drat walking sands so much

[laughs in Eorzean]