Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't remember if this is higher difficulty only or if it's something that always happens but please note that the advent lancer now has an armor pip in addition to his health boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dancer posted:

Achmed with some nice clutches there.

Where Rangers are your close range DPS monsters, Sharpshooters are your long range DPS monsters. At mid ranges, they compete and Rangers usually have the advantage as they're better able to just close the gap and turn midrange into close.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

FairGame posted:

I believe if you watch again you will notice that we CHILLED quite a bit!

:golfclap:

You did good btw. Thats a nice chunk of HP off the Viper

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

https://youtu.be/NL6CDFn2i3I?t=22

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Dancer posted:

Achmed with some nice clutches there.

I would also like to note that it was Achmed who got everyone into the mess in the first place with squadsight overwatch :supaburn:

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Zernach posted:

I would also like to note that it was Achmed who got everyone into the mess in the first place with squadsight overwatch :supaburn:

That overwatch was strange--isn't concealed overwatch supposed to only trigger if you or your squad is revealed? Did the Viper King flank and reveal SugarAddict, or somebody else?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

King Cohort posted:

That overwatch was strange--isn't concealed overwatch supposed to only trigger if you or your squad is revealed? Did the Viper King flank and reveal SugarAddict, or somebody else?

That's only if the shooter is concealed. It doesn't consider whether taking the shot will activate aliens and immediately blow someone else's stealth.

edit: FairGame, I think you have to do the skullmining foundry project if you want to use the skulljack outside of completing those two plot objectives. Otherwise the item seems to be 100% useless.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 4, 2020

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

silentsnack posted:

That's only if the shooter is concealed. It doesn't consider whether taking the shot will activate aliens and immediately blow someone else's stealth.

Oh, right, the squad had gotten revealed earlier with the specter's pod. Whoops! Makes sense now.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

silentsnack posted:

edit: FairGame, I think you have to do the skullmining foundry project if you want to use the skulljack outside of completing those two plot objectives. Otherwise the item seems to be 100% useless.

The hacking bonus is still handy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I killed a lot of Reapers trying to figure out a sneaky way to do the avatar facilities. The inability to stealth the turn you are exposed makes it hard. The best way I've found so far is: 1) Use a claymore to make a hole in the wall closest to the X4 location, or scatter the pod guarding it or both. 2) Move the Reaper to the objective. 3) Get your squad in range of your planned evac volume (measure carefully). 4) Push the button, pop the evac flare, and run like hell. I'd also note that you seem to lose a bit of movement the turn you plant the X4, so take that into account.

Munin posted:

The hacking bonus is still handy.
I thought you only got that once you completed skullmining.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reapers have a larger movement radius while in shadow. They don’t lose range from planting C4, they lose range from going from shadow to visible.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I thought you only got that once you completed skullmining.

Could well be. I thought the base one had a bonus as well.

[edit] You're right, the hack bonus only applies after the upgrade: https://xcom.fandom.com/wiki/Skulljack_(Item)

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 5, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Honestly, you probably would have regretted not dealing with Cobra Commander there if you had gotten away with it. He'd start showing up in random missions, probably when you had a *much* worse setup and no chance to isolate and beat the poo poo out of him. This was basically a free chance to activate him when he's nice and isolated and blast half his health off.

Activating him and three other pods wasn't great, but nuking him down here and now was the better move.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Canon reason for that overwatch is me being extremely twitchy given that Fairgame said some ominous stuff about that frost grenade before slotting it into my pack. Genuinely thought I was going to die or get captured that mission You know, I didn't realise that mind control actually wore off after a while, I figured we needed to go kill the priest before it'd break.

Delacroix once again saving my rear end with a bunch of parries and deflections, and that was some pro tier poo poo with Din grappling all over the show.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 5, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
You, uh... you sure you want me to hold this expensive and unique item, boss? Little Corporal Eating Only Lead? Fine... :sigh:

That was a hellish mission even before the assassin showed up. I like her fight music though. Very inspiring.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Aw man. :( From bad to worse to worst.

Edit: Yeah, "worst" is pretty harsh, that was an impressive turnaround. Still a bummer, though.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 5, 2020

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
I don't know how you'se done it, but I know you'se done it.

you pull out a win where other players would have eaten the mission loss. don't feel down about yourself, you played it great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I actually don't think you're going to get an avenger defense this month, unless it can spawn a chosen defense mission without the chosen.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
RIP Sgt Grunting. Fairgame, I don't think you could have handled that any better without retreating when the assassin showed up.

I actually like Wrecking Ball because it lets you Kool-Aid man through walls to set up flank shots that wouldn't otherwise be possible and can create holes for your other soldiers to get in/out through.

Welp, I had a good campaign. See you all in two months when everyone else is a Major/Colonel! I did enjoy "Hey Carlos, I know you're blind and inches from death, but would you mind lobbing some high explosives thataway?"
"No prob. Which four foot square do you want it in?"

FairGame posted:

Reapers have a larger movement radius while in shadow. They don’t lose range from planting C4, they lose range from going from shadow to visible.
Huh. Learned something new today.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 5, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack posted:

I actually don't think you're going to get an avenger defense this month, unless it can spawn a chosen defense mission without the chosen.

This is, ah...extremely incorrect.

[/S p O i L e R]

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The real brassy answer would have been to ignore the guerilla op and kick down the door to her stronghold to short circuit the Avenger defense and keep your mission count down, but that's probably a high-casualty option.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dead Reckoning posted:

The real brassy answer would have been to ignore the guerilla op and kick down the door to her stronghold to short circuit the Avenger defense and keep your mission count down, but that's probably a high-casualty option.

We don't have that option yet; the covert op to figure out the way into her stronghold has not yet resolved.

I mention this for no particular reason.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Ah right, I saw it on the map and forgot that it shows up after one of the earlier covert ops.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tired of leaving hints, and I have played ahead anyway. Let's do a double update today.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nooooo, not Deadford!

Man, that was some crappy luck there. For some reason, I've always had the easiest time with the Warlock, even though he's the hardest of the three on paper. I think it's because his tendency to hide in the back of the map gives you the choice of when to engage, unlike the Assassin.

Hype for next mission, except for that absurd hill placement, what a kick in the balls.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

RIP Manly Grunting, you died saving me and considering that shanked MEC shot I made immediately afterward it's not clear that was the right choice.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Warlock sucks because it's the game asking you "do you have mindshields on all your guys?"
If the answer is 'yes' then you're just left to deal with an annoying as gently caress enemy spawner who spams units. If the answer is 'no', then you get to deal with a boss character who slows grinds you down through attrition.

Also he never shuts up about the loving Elders.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh my word, Vaughn rolled Serial. :munch:

Hype for next time!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Avenger Defense time. These missions usually run really long, especially if you get them later on and have to fight the tougher enemies.

The turrets from the Defense Matrix are really useful in the opening stages of these missions, and the squadsight version lets you save soldier actions by getting garuanteed shots on those siege turrets.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

NeverHelm posted:

the squadsight version lets you save soldier actions by getting garuanteed shots on those siege turrets.

Unless of the course the game very rudely puts a hill in front of them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Akratic Method posted:

Unless of the course the game very rudely puts a hill in front of them.

:xcom:

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Dear Diary,

I had a terrible dream last night. I dreamt I was some kind of hotshot Resistance fighter who ran around in his pants, killing the heroic ADVENT peacekeepers with a sword and nailing impossible shots from downtown. It was horrible. To be honest, I didn't sleep all that well. It felt like my bed was hardly moving at all. I hope I don't have to have another chat with that Warlock fellow again today. It gives me such a headache when he tries to render my living brain down into useful information and he does drone on so about the Elders. Elders this, Elders that, greatest creation the other. And I have this lingering sense of guilt over someone called Vaughn? Must stop writing now, the guards are here and it's time for my morning punishment beating.

====

I suppose the butcher's bill for those two successful missions isn't too high. It also shows the risks of aggressive movement. That multiple activation in the sewers was crazy but at least you had the tools and nous to manage it without a wipe. That run and gun in the second mission? Risky!

EDIT: Too many 'but's

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 5, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FairGame posted:

This is, ah...extremely incorrect.

[/S p O i L e R]

Excited to see them wheel out the half dead assassin for this one

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I haven't watched the second update yet, but I was really amused by the 'Bradford wouldn't shut up' bug on that mission.

"Central, we're getting swarmed! We need an evac!"

"So there I am, titty in my left hand, titty in my right, with more booze in me than downtown Detroit..."

"It's no good, his radio is stuck on 'transmit'. Dig in and fight!"

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Slay, Quinn

I'm hype

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hopefully we can finish Asia soon so we can get more bodies on the roster

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Hopefully we can finish Asia soon so we can get more bodies on the roster