Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jfslowik/status/1257693752379928578?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CommieGIR posted:

Even worse: He's a child of people who benefited from gem farming under Apartheid and comes from a family of racists, his racist brother is on the Tesla board.

He's also so bad that the C level suite at Tesla has a higher turnover rate than some call centers. SpaceX is largely successful because Musk is kept at arms length away from the engineering decision process.

The best part about Tesla is that he didn't found Tesla. He's a founder because he paid the actual founders for the rights to call himself thus, and they to never call themselves the founders. He didn't make poo poo.

It was some dudes putting electric drivelines in Lotus', and the people that have them, love them apparently.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Woofer posted:

I hope he’s just trolling but if he isn’t, I think naming your baby crazy poo poo like that is some incredibly entitled billionaire poo poo because otherwise you’re stacking the deck against your kid in a normal public school.

lol good one

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, over the last 40 years or so it's kind of assumed there are people with guns being paid by the US running around everywhere in Latin America, isn't it? If it turned out the CIA and DEA weren't paying contractors in Venezuela that would be more surprising.

yeah but how many of them publicly tweeted their insertion at the president?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

yeah but how many of them publicly tweeted their insertion at the president?

Oh yeah, it's definitely exceptionally stupid. But given the current administration and US history none of it is surprising.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Discussion Quorum posted:

I feel like it may not matter, it's an open question in my mind whether or not the Ersatzgruppen types are on the verge of getting away from them. I'd bet money that the Republican establishment thinks this will all just go away once it is no longer useful to business. What worries me is that a lot of nasty people are being platformed and handed ready made venues for networking, radicalizing, and recruiting.

Plutocrats always think they're in charge of their fash "allies" until suddenly they're not.

Lmfao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Better him than Grimes' music, I guess.

I don't know what her music sounds like, but I'm assuming it's various shrieks mixed poorly over out of tune mixer poo poo.

Grimes’s music loving owns, tbh.

Art Angels was the best, Visions was excellent, but I also really enjoyed Miss Anthropocene.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE

Basically perfect.

The closest she got to noisy electro screaming was one of her weaker new tracks, which is essentially an homage to NIN.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Re: Musk and harsh environments, it’s such a techy sci-fi thing to go “fix this place with breathable oxygen and plants and stuff? Too hard, cannot be done. Let’s go to Space!!!!”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s always weird to me how people like Musk think that they will be able to withstand life in some inhospitable environment. The dude grew up rich and has never truly struggled in his life. He melts down when people contradict him on twitter. How does his thin skinned self think he’s surviving in the barren wastes of Mars? I know he over hypes his intellect and his actual parts in his company, but I’d think he’s smart enough to know that colonizing another planet would be pure agony.

He’s not going to live long enough to see a human on Mars anyway so he can say whatever he wants. Even if we were closer to doing it he wouldn’t be the first person there, someone like him would wait a generation or two until the really nasty stuff was behind us before he got on a rocket. Even then it’s unlikely someone like him would go because Earth to Mars will be a one-way trip for decades if not centuries after the first person is there, and he’s not going to give up what he has here - money won’t buy food, water, or oxygen in an environment where it simply doesn’t exist, let alone self-driving cars and flamethrowers.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Discussion Quorum posted:

I feel like it may not matter, it's an open question in my mind whether or not the Ersatzgruppen types are on the verge of getting away from them. I'd bet money that the Republican establishment thinks this will all just go away once it is no longer useful to business. What worries me is that a lot of nasty people are being platformed and handed ready made venues for networking, radicalizing, and recruiting.

Plutocrats always think they're in charge of their fash "allies" until suddenly they're not.

Holy :lol:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Rand Paul's neighbor did nothing wrong.

https://twitter.com/ESCochrane/status/1257713746895650817?s=19

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I hope he gets it again 🤷‍♂️

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

He's just a giant computer nerd who made some good bets during the dot com boom, so now just because he has a bunch of money, people feel obligated to listen to him.

https://twitter.com/sweetbeans99/status/1257680828500328449?s=21

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i had missed this detail:

https://twitter.com/Moondog89775605/status/1257557952782831618

always get it in writing friends

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 5, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

i had missed this detail:

https://twitter.com/Moondog89775605/status/1257557952782831618

always get it in writing friends

Didn't they read those masks are worthless if you have a beard?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I find it hard to believe anybody would write up a legal contract for assassination. I find it equally dumb that two idiots from texas would think to get that in writing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I find it hard to believe anybody would write up a legal contract for assassination. I find it equally dumb that two idiots from texas would think to get that in writing.

Well, you look at them, then you remember that most Merc companies are nutcase morons, and then you remember who is likely fronting that money, also nutcase morons. And then there's the ex-CIA moron in charge of the State Department who comes from a legacy of poorly run CIA operations...

And then it clicks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ruddiger posted:

Didn't they read those masks are worthless if you have a beard?

I mean, if it holds back a sneeze, is it not better than nothing?

Dying for my beard here.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

M_Gargantua posted:

If it was any other country I would agree, but because it's the CIA...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

While the CIA has a notably piss-poor track record in many ways, this is a step down even for them (also they (probably) wouldn't hire dumbass mercs, they'd do it in-house or throw buckets of cash at a disgruntled army general to do it for them).

my wild and unfounded speculation is that they were probably bankrolled by rich anti-communist expats and industrialists in Miami, with knowledge and coordination from the upper tiers of the administration whose knowledge and experience comes from half-remembered plots of Tom Clancy novels, who also didn't want to get the professional intelligence apparatus involved because some grifter convinced them the mercs would be 'deniable,' and also because even the CIA would laugh them out of the room.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

https://twitter.com/gianfiorella/status/1257113002698051587?s=20

Acebuckeye13 posted:

While the CIA has a notably piss-poor track record in many ways, this is a step down even for them (also they (probably) wouldn't hire dumbass mercs, they'd do it in-house or throw buckets of cash at a disgruntled army general to do it for them).

I don't think the CIA was involved. However, I don't think its any coincidence that this is the same company that handles Trump's security. I guarantee Trump told Pompeo to use them somehow.

Remember: Pompeo was championing some sort of op in Venezuela, I suspect this was it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 5, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Oh my God imagine if it came out this was a direct order from Donnie Dipshit

It being Hellworld means he wouldn't get in trouble, but still

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

What would they do? Impeach him?

:lol:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

I'd rather it come out to be the brainchild of a bunch of clown congresspersons behind it, but I'll take whatever I can get

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Bellingcat article is great:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020/05/05/the-invasion-of-venezuela-brought-to-you-by-silvercorp-usa/

quote:

When he was pressed by Poleo to explain why launching an amphibious operation across open waters instead of attempting to infiltrate via the border with Colombia, Goudreau replied:

Are you familiar with Alexander the Great? The Battle of Gaugamela. Completely outnumbered. He struck to the heart of the enemy, and he won.

Goudreau ended the interview by saying that there were more “cells” active in the country, that the operation was ongoing, and that he was in communication with people inside the country who were telling him that they wanted to join the rebellion that he was attempting to start.

These people are god damned morons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Trump has to campaign somehow buddy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/gianfiorella/status/1257113002698051587?s=20

I don't think the CIA was involved. However, I don't think its any coincidence that this is the same company that handles Trump's security. I guarantee Trump told Pompeo to use them somehow.

Remember: Pompeo was championing some sort of op in Venezuela, I suspect this was it.

Wait whuuut

Providing protection for Don didn’t provide enough money?

Shocker

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kinda surprised Erik Prince didn't get a piece of this one.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What the gently caress is going on there, apparently the american are ex special forces but this reads like an op run by infantry that dropped out of basic

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Bay of Dodos.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Prediction: they were going to get the money by selling missiles to best korea and skimming the profits for this.

They get away with it despite trump tweeting "it was me!!!" and American Dad makes a musical number about it in 2030.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Midjack posted:

Kinda surprised Erik Prince didn't get a piece of this one.

I'm sure he's calling his sister and screaming his brains out.

"We had a arrangement, Betsy! You hear me, WE HAD A GODDAMN ARRANGEMENT!"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Unrelatedly

quote:

Markus Swinson, 35, of Conquest Way in Odenton, was arrested in April and initially charged with six commercial burglaries. After the arrest, police continued the investigation and identified Swinson as the suspect in 17 additional burglaries. In total, Swinson has now been charged in Howard County warrants with 91 counts of burglary, theft, theft scheme, destruction of property, and rogue and vagabond. After his initial arrest in the first six cases, Swinson was released from the Howard County Detention Center on $25,000 bond, but was arrested by another jurisdiction, where he is being held on no bond. If he is scheduled for release, he will be immediately served with the additional charges in Howard County and taken into custody. In the 23 Howard County cases, which spanned from the Route 1 corridor to the western end of the county, police believe Swinson was targeting businesses to steal construction and landscaping tools. Altogether, tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment was stolen. Detectives developed Swinson as a suspect after a burglary at Lenny’s Towing in Elkridge March 26 in which various tools were stolen. The tools were found for sale online and were linked back to Swinson.

Rogue and Vagabond is my second favorite rpg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

not caring here posted:

What the gently caress is going on there, apparently the american are ex special forces but this reads like an op run by infantry that dropped out of basic

Since where are spec ops dudes universally geniuses?

EDIT: D&D is calling this the Bay of Piglets, which works but honestly isn't insulting enough.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 5, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Since where are spec ops dudes universally geniuses?

EDIT: D&D is calling this the Bay of Piglets, which works but honestly isn't insulting enough.

They are good at execution, but rarely plan their own ops.

Erik Prince is also probably too busy training Chinese how to run concentration camps.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

not caring here posted:

we're not sending our best

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Smoothbrain Snake and FAUXHOUND

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

not caring here posted:

Oh they're special forces alright

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we're not sending our best

:sigh: We're really not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010