Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ummm....just restrict your pawns to not wear anything under 50% durability? Or under normal quality? Or both? I mean you should be doing that anyways, regardless of existence of gloves/shoes/etc, no? :confused:

Or just forbid wearing gloves in your default outfit so that none of your pawns will wear gloves, if that's the issue for some reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ummm....just restrict your pawns to not wear anything under 50% durability? Or under normal quality? Or both? I mean you should be doing that anyways, regardless of existence of gloves/shoes/etc, no? :confused:

Or just forbid wearing gloves in your default outfit so that none of your pawns will wear gloves, if that's the issue for some reason...

It's a bunch of extra fiddling for negligible benefit.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that vanilla rimworld has too many clothing slots.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I like the Vanilla Apparel mod, especially in late game when I have specialized pawns for medical or cooking. Seeing my dedicated cook in a chef's hat or doctor in scrubs just tickles that dopamine release we all get from Rimworld in different ways.

Also late game when I have trash pawns that are only good for hauling or cleaning I'll put them in jumpsuits and baseball caps.

I never craft boots, gloves, or scarves. I'll occasionally buy them from traders but then just let whichever pawn grabs them first put them on.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ummm....just restrict your pawns to not wear anything under 50% durability?

There's people that don't do this as soon as they load into a new game?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i didnt know you could do that.

also, how long is luciferium meant to take to heal brain injuries?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i didnt know you could do that.

The healing power and destructive addiction of Luci should be immediate

Edit: I may be wrong about this i guess. When I'm using Luci it's usually just on prisoners before release

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 5, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Luciferium event to remove permanent injuries fires about once or twice a season. It takes several doses, usually.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

The Luciferium event to remove permanent injuries fires about once or twice a season. It takes several doses, usually.

cool, thank you. i was worried i had gotten a colonist addicted to luciferum for nothing. she got shot in the brain and has permanent 50% consciousness, which blows

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

i agree with the vanilla apparel. it's annoying that it adds new clothing slots like boots and gloves and scarves. i end up with my pawns equipping some ragged-rear end gloves off the floor and getting unhappy about it and it just sucks. i appreciate the variety in looks but i wish there was an option to not have those extra slots.

Gloves and boots are critical because they keep colonists from losing so many drat fingers/toes. They should honestly be in vanilla.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Gloves and boots are critical because they keep colonists from losing so many drat fingers/toes. They should honestly be in vanilla.

tracking them at all is kinda dumb and shows where the damage simulation of rimworld breaks down

that and how easy it is to survive an injury that entirely destroys an internal organ

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
There is a mod that adds just gloves and boots but they have a bunch of dumb modifiers added to them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1488970545

e: oh and rings and socks apparently.

Plek fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 5, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Vengarr posted:

i did not know that the colonists hands and feet were unprotected otherwise, that is dumb. i guess i have turned around on boots and gloves now.

i do wish rimworld had the more insane damage system from dwarf fortress, although i imagine it would result in a lot more dead colonists. i also miss the z-axis and insane temperature simulation, you could do a lot of insane stuff with more robust temperature simulation and the modern technology in rimworld.

i remember running into a hydra in dwarf fortress adventurer mode, and throwing a rock at it. it lodged in one of the hydras heads, and instead of growing a new one like in mythology, it collapsed from pain and slowly bled to death. I also messed up a value in one of my forays into modding, and noticed that every time one of my dwarves passed through sunlight their limbs would start exploding off them and they'd die. it turned out i'd edited the boiling point of dwarf bone by mistake, and it was just barely higher than dwarf body temperature, so every time they got a little warmer in the sunlight they would explode.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I also messed up a value in one of my forays into modding, and noticed that every time one of my dwarves passed through sunlight their limbs would start exploding off them and they'd die. it turned out i'd edited the boiling point of dwarf bone by mistake, and it was just barely higher than dwarf body temperature, so every time they got a little warmer in the sunlight they would explode.

That’s

Incredible

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
When I didn't know what else to do to stop them I once tweaked goblin blood to catch fire at above freezing temps. The fort still died but it was framerate death instead of being butchered.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my thing i worked on a lot in dwarf fortress modding was making goblins playable. it was very easy to do, but added different challenges to the game. goblins didn't need booze like dwarves did, but were solely carnivorous, which was rough given the big emphasis on farming in dwarf fortress.

the game was like robustly made enough that when the king of your goblin kingdom came to visit your fort, it was actually a demon (every goblin kingdom is ruled by a demon for some reason). it was a friendly demon, but still a demon, so it would be like if a royal came to visit in rimworld and it was just a tame thrumbo and broke half the nobility systems.

anyway, in rimworld news, you've heard of aliens vs predator, and maybe even terminator vs predator, but how about...

A SHITLOAD OF DUCKS VS PREDATOR

the ducks were smart enough to realise that they could not stand against the mighty predator in combat, but that he also couldn't kill them fast enough if they all just tried to rush past him, so they did make it into the fort. not for long, though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

tracking them at all is kinda dumb and shows where the damage simulation of rimworld breaks down

that and how easy it is to survive an injury that entirely destroys an internal organ

It's genuinely impressive how many times I've had people get their eyes taken out by a 50 cal and barely flinch.

Like I can only assume their eyes are made of like, space age ERA or something and explode out of their heads when the bullet gets close and just vaporize it.

E: also unrelated but how in the fuckin poo poo am I supposed to kill a psychic ship with like ten pikemen and lancers around it? Anything that gets close gets loving annihilated.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 6, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Call in off-map reinforcements and start dropping part-EMP mortar volleys right before they engage?

Mass long-range weapons to wear them down or pull them into a prepared defensive position?

The info on bugs mentions that they were designed to fight mechanioids, I really want a Pandora’s Box-type weapon which calls or generates an infestation which will send bugs to attack mechanoid structures at intervals, then human structures.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't managed to get any long range weapons or mortars yet. I tried luring a raid into them but they just shredded the raid and now I have an awake pile of mechanoids sitting there :/

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't managed to get any long range weapons or mortars yet. I tried luring a raid into them but they just shredded the raid and now I have an awake pile of mechanoids sitting there :/

How about a screenshot for us? Helps to know more info about your colony too. So you have three guys or thirty, autopistols or plasma guns, etc etc

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OwlFancier posted:

Build and equip some smoke launchers. Select a pikeman since they have the furthest range and note their range by hovering over their weapon. Have your guys with smoke launchers prefire clouds of covering smoke to get your sniper with your best ranged weapon (probably a bolt action rifle) into position. Aggro them and then pull around a blind corner or hopefully back to your base if it's not far, and try to beat them down with high pen melee weapons since there doesn't sound like there are any scythers with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got a thrumbo migration and managed to enrage them right next to the ship. Combined with my scant militia that just about managed to get them with some savescumming.

Not before they chased off three caravans though. I'm using that mod that makes humanoids much more likely to run away when injured, it's interesting because it also means they take their loot with them so you end up with less of a spiral of free crap being dropped on your doorstep, and stuff like animals and mechanoids are still unstoppable so there's still existential threats, but humanoid raiders are much easier to see off (and drop less stuff as a result) which is a much nicer balance I think. It does make them less effective against things like mechanoid raids though.

I did get to test out a zeushammer/shield combo that I managed to get off a lone imperial assault troop and gently caress me the zeushammer is absurdly powerful against them, just crushing multiple parts per swing. I definitely want to get someone cybered out and in a full suit of armour with that thing.

Just wasn't enough on its own cos I only have one guy who can melee passably.

I'm much more used to playing with CE where cover is far more effective and melee can be very safe if you use a heavy ballistic shield. I still miss that to be honest.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 6, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's genuinely impressive how many times I've had people get their eyes taken out by a 50 cal and barely flinch.

Like I can only assume their eyes are made of like, space age ERA or something and explode out of their heads when the bullet gets close and just vaporize it.

E: also unrelated but how in the fuckin poo poo am I supposed to kill a psychic ship with like ten pikemen and lancers around it? Anything that gets close gets loving annihilated.

i always just assume in situations like that their eye got barely grazed by the 50 cal and turned into slime, rather than it being a direct hit to the eye

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I built a wall around my base with a trapped turret gauntlet murderhole for an entrance. I laughed as the raiders walked right into it.

Then they came back with grenades and blasted through the wall in the opposite side of the entrance.

Then they came back and are building a firebase outside of the walls :stare:

I may not actually make it out of this but it will be a hell of a ride either way

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

i always just assume in situations like that their eye got barely grazed by the 50 cal and turned into slime, rather than it being a direct hit to the eye

Rimworld doesn't model things like material spalling, but the most common way to get this kind of specific injury from something big and fast enough to be called an anti-material or heavy machine gun round is the round clipping something hard and then fragments of the bullet and the thing slapping someone across the face. This is one of the reasons sandbags are everywhere in modern combat; you deeply want every surface around you that extremely fast metal might wander into to be able to absorb all that energy instead of redirecting a lot of it.

Also, Zeushammer chat: definitely check for missing limbs on pawns you decide to recruit. I don't mind whipping up an arbitrary number of bionics for someone worth keeping, but it helps if they don't wind up trapped in the hospital for their first several days because you didn't notice they have one arm and zero other limbs. Amazing weapon for downing organic enemies, even pirates who show up in flak gear (some reassembly required).

e: just finished an Excellent charge rifle, it has art. A Rooster's Porcupine by Samantha Lee, Praetor of the Northwestern Omeuia Manifest Nation. Engraving in machined plasteel.

This weapon bears an image of a rooster lying on the ground with cracked dry lips. A group of fly-ridden mallard corpses surround the area. The subjects are in front of six zucchinis. This depiction relates to the rooster being stricken with flu on the 10th of Decembary, 5506.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 6, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

This, plus animals do not rack up any pain from losing organs so they will cheerfully tank a bullet with an eye or a lung(!!!) then chase down your hunter, barely perturbed by what should be a sucking chest wound.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any mods that would let me schedule someone to be drafted and go to an assigned position at a set time of day?

I want to put pawns on watch at my front gate because I'm playing on a very small map with dinosaur manhunter packs being thrown at me constantly, it takes longer for my pawns to reach the killbox than it does for the dinosaurs to get there so I'd like to keep 2-3 of them on watch at all times but cycling them out manually every few hours sucks

Edit: Also Pawnmorpher makes manhunter packs waaaay scarier because of how prevalent sapient animals are, they can open doors :yikes:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some dickhead tourist decided it would be hilarious to come visit the colony with thirty four fertilized rough plated monitor eggs stuffed down his pants so now they've all hatched simultaneously and I've got thirty four loving lizards crawling around my base.

Apparently they are supposed to explode when they hatch but I guess not if they're being carried, mercifully. Because he was standing in the hospital when it happened.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Some dickhead tourist decided it would be hilarious to come visit the colony with thirty four fertilized rough plated monitor eggs stuffed down his pants so now they've all hatched simultaneously and I've got thirty four loving lizards crawling around my base.

Apparently they are supposed to explode when they hatch but I guess not if they're being carried, mercifully. Because he was standing in the hospital when it happened.

That's not how monitor lizards work. That's not how any of this works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently he wasn't happy being turned down by the two married women he tried to chat up so he decided to drop his lizard payload in the hospilabkitchediningroom as a result.

Very Neurotic, Lecher

Yeah he's definitely a loving incel who wanted to blow up my colony in revenge but apparently got a bum lot of lizard eggs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 6, 2020

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any mods that would let me schedule someone to be drafted and go to an assigned position at a set time of day?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1855885448
perhaps this?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So the escalating pirate attacks aren't the biggest threat, it turns out the huge family of Yorkshire terriers that moved in were eating a lot more food than I realized. I should have realized that the population was getting out of control when I'd lose multiple named dogs whenever pirates drop-podded into the middle of my base or one every few days from a hunting predator that I couldn't intercept in time.

I felt bad slaughtering a couple dozen dogs but hopefully I'll be spending less time growing food; no wonder I was having trouble getting anything done in between maintaining my food supply.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BattleMaster posted:

So the escalating pirate attacks aren't the biggest threat, it turns out the huge family of Yorkshire terriers that moved in were eating a lot more food than I realized. I should have realized that the population was getting out of control when I'd lose multiple named dogs whenever pirates drop-podded into the middle of my base or one every few days from a hunting predator that I couldn't intercept in time.

I felt bad slaughtering a couple dozen dogs but hopefully I'll be spending less time growing food; no wonder I was having trouble getting anything done in between maintaining my food supply.

Don't slaughter them, euthanize them for free medical xp.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is this a good situation to have in your nuclear reactor room?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

is this a good situation to have in your nuclear reactor room?

I had this happen. You do *NOT* want your reactor to get destroyed. At all.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not great, not terrible.

On the upside the infestation may solve itself shortly.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
🤔 what's y'all's standard setup for your kitchen/dining room/ main living area, specially during the early game? Do you just start with a big barrack/ multi-purpose room, warehouse and all, and then slowly upgrade to individual bedrooms and specialized rooms, or do you tend to cram as many functions into the same room as possible? I feel like I've been going overkill in separating the butchering area from the kitchen straight from the start to keep those food poisoning odds at bay.

In other news, I don't like the traitor event in the Events Expanded mod 😔

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SexyBlindfold posted:

🤔 what's y'all's standard setup for your kitchen/dining room/ main living area, specially during the early game? Do you just start with a big barrack/ multi-purpose room, warehouse and all, and then slowly upgrade to individual bedrooms and specialized rooms, or do you tend to cram as many functions into the same room as possible? I feel like I've been going overkill in separating the butchering area from the kitchen straight from the start to keep those food poisoning odds at bay.

I usually make a giant room as my stockpile, and early game that room is where everything that isn't the butcher table goes. The butcher table goes outside butted up against the wall of the warehouse. I slowly expand out from there and put together things like a dedicated kitchen, dedicated rooms, etc. as time and resources permit. I usually put a table and some chairs in the warehouse or just outside of it as well for early recreation; you can always reinstall them into a proper dining area later, and you can get pretty far on a small table and a few chairs early.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

If it helps you can adjust the chances of individual events in the mod settings, including disabling the chance outright. I did that with the Drought one... it's an interesting idea but has a bunch of weird interactions (killing devilstrand and healroot when both are fairly resistant in vanilla due to the investment) and obnoxious micromanagement (since you have to go and disable sowing on every field or else pawns get stuck in planting forever loops as crops insta-die.)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SexyBlindfold posted:

My usual plan runs something like: throw down wooden walls for a 11x11 room day zero to act as a multipurpose room, over next few days set up a power supply and freezer adjacent, then slowly crank out the stone blocks for my 'real' base while shifting things over as it becomes ready for use. If you have the resources to afford it the Nutrient Paste Dispenser is well worth using, otherwise the multipurpose room can act as a kitchen just fine if you're leaving the floor as dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Asimo posted:

(since you have to go and disable sowing on every field or else pawns get stuck in planting forever loops as crops insta-die.)

How many pawns do you have Planting? Just uncheck planting.