Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

seriously the dbus here is just a serialization protocol. it was standardized before msgpack and if there was a json parser in pid1 you would be complaining about that too

dbus is just Mach messaging reimplemented poorly outside the kernel by people who don’t know their history

like you can certainly do a better job than mach_port_t but not if you don’t actually understand it

(the top of the list would be to make their refcounting sane, Mach port leaks suck and are very easy to write, but I’m sure people like nbsd will show up to say “yeah make it not slow!!!!” showing they don’t understand the problem space at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

Next what we need is some way to create a new process ex nihilo and load memory mappings, threads, seccomp policy, and fds into it.

Retrofit some sort of actual capability-based security on top of POSIX.

posix_spawnattr_t is your friend here

it’s no mach_task_t but you can turn it into that if you want just by piling on the extensions

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh right there’s also posix_spawn_file_actions_t just to make things more confusing

it does suck that all the sane extensions are currently _np though

like specifying what file descriptors to preserve across the spawn rather than close (since the latter is racy in any multithreaded process, which is virtually every process)

or specifying what the new process’s initial working directory should be

once you have enough stuff atop it though posix_spawn is a huge boon to things like build systems for large projects because you don’t need eg trampoline tools to reduce intermediate process image overhead

eschaton fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 5, 2020

pram
Jun 10, 2001
1989 is the year of mach on the desktop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

1989 is the year of mach on the desktop

31 years later I think we can call it a mild success

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

dbus is just Mach messaging reimplemented poorly outside the kernel by people who don’t know their history

that's not what any of this lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The Aérospatiale/BAC Concorde (/ˈkɒŋkɔːrd/) is a British–French turbojet-powered supersonic passenger airliner that was operated until 2003. It had a maximum speed over twice the speed of sound, at Mach 2.04

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eschaton posted:

like you can certainly do a better job than mach_port_t but not if you don’t actually understand it

(the top of the list would be to make their refcounting sane, Mach port leaks suck and are very easy to write, but I’m sure people like nbsd will show up to say “yeah make it not slow!!!!” showing they don’t understand the problem space at all)

patches welcome

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

? Python works fine in the embedded Linux world. Why wouldn't Python work?

same, I'm shipping python on my next project

It's the only way to get free from the monstrous C++ tarpit that our last *~ArChItEcTz~* created

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

same, I'm shipping python on my next project

It's the only way to get free from the monstrous C++ tarpit that our last *~ArChItEcTz~* created

Seriously, it's so drat awesome.

As a side note, here are all the options firewalld requires in the kernel:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20200507231457.2093052-4-aduskett@gmail.com/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so what you're saying is that firewalld requires a firewall?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

so what you're saying is that firewalld requires a firewall?

firewalld uses iptables for some of the passthrough stuff. Masquerading wasn’t supported until just recently.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

firewalld is a way to write firewall policy declaratively

vs iptables,which is more procedural

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
iptables is possibly the worst interface for a firewall i have ever encountered

firewalld also sucks but sucks differently

really i just want asa or junos or screenos gently caress this god damned linux poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

iptables is possibly the worst interface for a firewall i have ever encountered

firewalld also sucks but sucks differently

really i just want asa or junos or screenos gently caress this god damned linux poo poo

What's wrong with Firewalld's interface?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

What's wrong with Firewalld's interface?

1. gently caress polkit forever

2. the command line is dogshit and very obviously meant not to be used

basically firewalld is a desktop firewall and it shows. they never cared about a use case other than gnome

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

firewall-cmd is too long to type and i have to look at the man pages every time to distinguish get- commands from the list- ones.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
whatever happened to nftables

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

whatever happened to nftables

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/firewalld_default_to_nftables

should be working right now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

iptables was a direct interface to the kernel and is very good at what it does... a very Linux solution

not to say that it is good, but it is adequate

firewalld has a learning curve but the command line is not terrible. I also have to look up the command line options as well. Now that you have many services jockeying for control over the firewall (from fail2ban to libvirt) it makes more sense to have something like this that everyone can interface with in a safer way. The alternative is risking stepping on someone's feet.

ufw seems the most user friendly, however

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
who remembers halted firewalls lmao

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
is there an easy way to give a nonroot user start/stop access over a global systemd unit without sudo?

I'm working on an embedded product and want to give an unprivileged user the ability to mount/unmount one partition

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Does it have to involve a global systemd unit? You can do that with udisksctl and polkit

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
polkit is a pretty heavyweight dependency that I'd rather not pull in - got anything else that could do the job?

it doesn't need to be a global systemd unit - I just thought that would be an easy way to set the mount up with careful control

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
3 line C program that calls mount for you and make it setuid

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

is there an easy way to give a nonroot user start/stop access over a global systemd unit without sudo?

I'm working on an embedded product and want to give an unprivileged user the ability to mount/unmount one partition

if you put a user entry in fstab, unprivileged users can mount it here, under non-superuser mounts. you can similarly configure fstab for group access by adding a group to the system, chown the mount point appropriately, and restrict access to that one user (or group of users) by adding whoever needs permission to it to that group. iirc you may have to specify it in fstab by gid rather than by group name

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

a Facebook engineer:

Behdad Esfahbod posted:

That's what we decided not to support anymore. You can try to get used to the "blurry" rendering. Or you can find something else to use, or whatever. You are using Free Software you realize, right?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

MrMoo posted:

a Facebook engineer:

I feel that it's more fair to say "a HarfBuzz developer" rather than "a Facebook engineer"

dunno what Facebook has to do with Harfbuzz... I don't get the impression that they have any business developing a component in the text drawing pipeline

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

after the enabling a genocide or two because they didn’t have good south asia font support they probably hired him to address that

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

el dorito posted:

I feel that it's more fair to say "a HarfBuzz developer" rather than "a Facebook engineer"

Don’t need to be fair with Facebook engineering, readers are more likely to be aware of Facebook than HarfBuzz. It also importantly conveys that the developer is actually being paid to be a dick, most open source developers are usually not so lovely*

* ha ha ha.

quote:

dunno what Facebook has to do with Harfbuzz... I get the impression that they have any business developing a component in the text drawing pipeline

I read a while ago that the Facebook mobile apps reimplement the kitchen sink, so that probably means they ship HarfBuzz in their app under the pretense that older platforms have broken layout support or simply incomplete support of the continually updating Unicode spec.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

MrMoo posted:

Don’t need to be fair with Facebook engineering, readers are more likely to be aware of Facebook than HarfBuzz. It also importantly conveys that the developer is actually being paid to be a dick, most open source developers are usually not so lovely*

* ha ha ha.

I read a while ago that the Facebook mobile apps reimplement the kitchen sink, so that probably means they ship HarfBuzz in their app under the pretense that older platforms have broken layout support or simply incomplete support of the continually updating Unicode spec.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/05/a-mistake-at-facebook-broke-spotify-venmo-tiktok-and-other-iphone-apps/

facebook: "move fast and break things"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quoting something out of context with no link to the discussion really makes me think you have an agenda

anyway, here's an explanation of the situation: https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/issues/2394#issuecomment-626254448

edit: the tldr is that a bunch of abusive halfwits are getting pissy about the how harfbuzz/pango/cairo/etc. in a non-standard configuration render some fonts that can't legally be used on non-Windows platforms

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 10, 2020

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the facebook guy sounds like a toxic shithead that should just quit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so it sounds like they removed support for a certain kind of hinting that apparently you can request globally in unix and all the people with “above average visual acuity” are really mad about it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
it also seems like part of it is that people are using unsupported system configurations because if you use all of the correct versions of the libraries together theres no problem, but distros just toss in whatever junk they found on the shelf and unsurprisingly it doesnt work

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I don't get the point of bragging about your contributions to the open source experience when you poo poo on everything that isn't android.

If you're going to acknowledge that corporate funding drives development then how stupid are you to not recognize that when the funding dries up and people complain, that's not your problem? really stupid messianic complex about fonts and emojis of all things

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

it also seems like part of it is that people are using unsupported system configurations because if you use all of the correct versions of the libraries together theres no problem, but distros just toss in whatever junk they found on the shelf and unsurprisingly it doesnt work

I think part of the problem is also that the stolen Windows fonts require ClearType and other stuff that FreeType can't/doesn't implement and they look like poo poo unless you crank the autohinter blur up to maximum.

hifi posted:

If you're going to acknowledge that corporate funding drives development then how stupid are you to not recognize that when the funding dries up and people complain, that's not your problem? really stupid messianic complex about fonts and emojis of all things

The problem is that the complainants are entitled teenage boys who know your email address.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
heated coding moment

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues/463

It’s a complicated mess, driven by changes in Pango breaking rendering because they want to rely on HarfBuzz which has a half-rear end implementation apparently.

Microsoft fonts were pretty important historically because everything relies on them. The legality is a bit silly as MS published them many moons ago, however from that RedHat paid for some type of freedom font that matches the metrics but without the licensing issues. Are those affected too? Meh, the main issue here is the lack of civility and poor handling of the situation.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Meh, the main issue here is the lack of civility and poor handling of the situation.

recurring problem in freetype and friends, going all the way back to the xfs-tt vs client side dispute