Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Has Felix been enlisted in the military or is his knowledge of the armed forces based on like video games and poo poo?

I mean he comes off as speaking on something he's not entirely familiar with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rainbow Knight posted:

Has Felix been enlisted in the military or is his knowledge of the armed forces based on like video games and poo poo?

yeah you can still find some old photos of him online.

edit: here look at how young he was

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 5, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
you dare having opinions on Chapo in the Chapo thread? :argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Human Tornada posted:

What is it about this podcast that makes people so insane? Both the twitter weirdos who are obsessed with hating them and the fans who write essays if the podcast veers like one degree in the "wrong" direction.

Millennials are the generation of gross projection. We were categorically misled to believe we were special and had infinite opportunities and the constant shifting of goalposts throughout our lives coalesced with the rise of globalism through the internet and the collective realization that all of our potential is bullshit and just a smokescreen to keep us complacent as boomer billionaires bleed the world dry. We seek endlessly to find avatars of our self-righteous indignation in anyone who can stand up straight for long enough to make a point and absolutely crucify them when they stop serving our selfish purposes... or like I guess whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blasmeister posted:

They’ve said for ages that the moment Bernie lost his usefulness to the cause of leftism would be over.
also I'm pretty sure in the episode they did about Bernie dropping out that they were not at all surprised he fell into line. It would have been weirder if they thought otherwise considering what happened in 2016.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

people getting hot and bothered about the election instead of playing trials of mana are simps

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Rainbow Knight posted:

I mean he comes off as speaking on something he's not entirely familiar with

This is the joke, he's usually making fun of military guys who pretend they're Tier 1 operators and non-military guys who buy the gear and like to think they definitely could have been Tier 1 operators if only they'd enlisted and also the self-serious yet buffoonish nature of the military in general.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The kind of guys who, for example, live tweet their coup and get captured by local fishermen thirty seconds in.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

thotsky posted:

Even if, going forward, it turns out that Chapo content will be virtually indistinguishable from what it was like in say, 2018, which I'm sure most of the "hogs" would be happy with, that's actually kind of a horrible Lib view of the future in its own right. They aimed really high and fell short. That "return to normalcy" is such a sad thing to wish for.

If they were not surprised by the heel turn they could have made a bigger deal out of that possibility and what it would mean for the left before it happened, but even if they were caught off-guard by it letting it slide afterwards is sort of hypocritical. They rightfully roast Obama and the rest of the Democrats for trying to compromise with their ideological enemies every chance they get after all.

I dunno, maybe the primary thing just soured the show for me, or perhaps it's just been too many years of the same poo poo... or perhaps I'll get over it in a few weeks.

They said on the show both before and after he suspended that if he lost they knew he'd support the dems. That's who he is as a candidate. He was always a compromise in that way and others. Again, if that's a surprise to you maybe you dont listen much or pay attention?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

i am the bird posted:

I'm here for the goofs and folks, the goofs are strong

We're goofin and boofin

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

terrorist ambulance posted:

They said on the show both before and after he suspended that if he lost they knew he'd support the dems.

Bernie also said this during every debate and in most of his public speeches. It'd be sort of weird if the candidate best know for being honest about every issue spent a year lying about that one specific thing.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In case anyone hasn’t seen the “boaters” tweet. They didn’t mention Trump’s baffling use of quotation marks:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1257009530673803268

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kinda goes without saying since the president doesn't know how capitalization or quotation marks work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kinda goes without saying since the president doesn't know how capitalization or quotation marks work.
How "dare" you

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Whole Lotta people confused why we're talking about a podcast in a podcast thread lol

Also that tweet looks like my personal version of hell, outside the gooncave, surrounded by drunk rear end in a top hat boomers far away from good ping times.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can have and post about opinions all you want, some opinions are just bad

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

terrorist ambulance posted:

They said on the show both before and after he suspended that if he lost they knew he'd support the dems. That's who he is as a candidate. He was always a compromise in that way and others. Again, if that's a surprise to you maybe you dont listen much or pay attention?

"Oh, he was always gonna endorse; Bernie is just too nice" is such a dogshit take tho. He's ostensibly fighting to save thousands and thousands of lives, correct grave injustices, and according to the Chapos themselves, possibly help avert the apocalypse, but he can't bring himself to go hard against his political enemies because he enjoys having lunch with them or whatever? What does that say about his priorities, the strength of his conviction, or if that cannot be questioned, his adherence to succdem notions of polite discourse? The Chapos allowing that to just slide does not strike you as odd? I can understand holding back while the race is on for strategic reasons, even if I don't condone it, but once he gave up they should have been on that poo poo.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Heath posted:

You can have and post about opinions all you want, some opinions are just bad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

thotsky posted:

"Oh, he was always gonna endorse; Bernie is just too nice" is such a dogshit take tho. He's ostensibly fighting to save thousands and thousands of lives, correct grave injustices, and according to the Chapos themselves, possibly help avert the apocalypse, but he can't bring himself to go hard against his political enemies because he enjoys having lunch with them or whatever? What does that say about his priorities, the strength of his conviction, or if that cannot be questioned, his adherence to succdem notions of polite discourse? The Chapos allowing that to just slide does not strike you as odd? I can understand holding back while the race is on for strategic reasons, even if I don't condone it, but once he gave up they should have been on that poo poo.

Dude what do you want from them. They've already anti-endorsed Biden and made it clear Bernie's path has divulged from theirs, what further point is there going in hard on a fundamentally decent old man whose only failing is being too forgiving of his enemies. If you don't like the podcast anymore stop listening to it, just shut the gently caress up.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

thotsky posted:

Whatever man shits gay who cares

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Imagine thinking that after all this Bernie Sanders was the one person we should really hold accountable

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

thotsky posted:

"Oh, he was always gonna endorse; Bernie is just too nice" is such a dogshit take tho. He's ostensibly fighting to save thousands and thousands of lives, correct grave injustices, and according to the Chapos themselves, possibly help avert the apocalypse, but he can't bring himself to go hard against his political enemies because he enjoys having lunch with them or whatever? What does that say about his priorities, the strength of his conviction, or if that cannot be questioned, his adherence to succdem notions of polite discourse?

he lost, so I kind of struggle to see why his priorities, convictions and decorum are of any particular interest

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bust Rodd posted:

Millennials are the generation of gross projection. We were categorically misled to believe we were special and had infinite opportunities and the constant shifting of goalposts throughout our lives coalesced with the rise of globalism through the internet and the collective realization that all of our potential is bullshit and just a smokescreen to keep us complacent as boomer billionaires bleed the world dry. We seek endlessly to find avatars of our self-righteous indignation in anyone who can stand up straight for long enough to make a point and absolutely crucify them when they stop serving our selfish purposes... or like I guess whatever.

bust rodd

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

multijoe posted:

Dude what do you want from them. They've already anti-endorsed Biden and made it clear Bernie's path has divulged from theirs, what further point is there going in hard on a fundamentally decent old man whose only failing is being too forgiving of his enemies. If you don't like the podcast anymore stop listening to it, just shut the gently caress up.

A true reckoning with it at the time would have been good, mostly for the same reasons them going in hard on any other political figure, namely entertainment and catharsis. I guess it could still serve some productive purpose in as far as informing people about potential weaknesses in a candidate if you believe in continuing to pursue electorialism, or to radicalize if you don't, but that would probably be overstating their influence. That particular divide, and their views on it after their experience could also have been interesting I guess. Feels sort of off-brand for Chapo to take a step back from the brink after a big loss like that, but maybe the takes will come with time. You're right that it's probably meaningless at this point though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine thinking that after all this Bernie Sanders was the one person we should really hold accountable

I mean, ostensibly he was "our" candidate, and the only actor in any way beholden to us, so it's not an illogical place to look for what went wrong.

I'm perfectly aware of the role the DNC, the media and capital played, but they don't even pretend to be speaking for me.

edit: those challenges won't go away either, so it would seem the choice is either to have a discussion about how to overcome them while working within the system, which would necessitate taking a hard look at Bernie and his campaign, or start advocating for working outside of the system. I hope Chapo gets off the fence; preferably on the latter side to be consistent with their previous statements regarding electorialism post-Bernie/Corbyn.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

thotsky posted:

I mean, ostensibly he was "our" candidate, and the only actor in any way beholden to us, so it's not an illogical place to look for what went wrong.

I'm perfectly aware of the role the DNC, the media and capital played, but they don't even pretend to be speaking for me.

do you want to call bernie's manager?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ban tedious tankies tbh

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ban everyone

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah you can still find some old photos of him online.

edit: here look at how young he was

im saluting my monitor so hard right now

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

T-man posted:

Ban everyone

Not me though I still wanna post

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Upon further inspection on this site, I was wrong... About EVERYTHING with this guy.. I am a loving moron... I know you guys already know this but I'm saying it anyway. The guy is deeply knowledgeable about Dating & Relationships admittedly from a mostly CisHet perspective (if I could compare him to someone it would Dr.NerdLove).

.... He's just extremely.. abrasive in his style of writing. Take for instance this article

https://farfrombasyc.com/2019/12/are-men-scared-of-pussy.html

look at the title. "Are Today’s Men Scared of Pussy Part II: Rise of The Simp". Now, your first instinct (if youre an internet brain-poisoned weirdo like i am) is to immediately assume its some RooshV Return of Kings poo poo. But when you actually read article

quote:

... the problem is we live in that bubble where the internet is the reality that men and women bend to. Seeing women sell themselves short because they have no self-esteem irritates me, but it also irks me that these young dudes are struggling to be men because they feel as if they aren’t good enough according to internet or Reality TV standards. Jealousy is the 2nd weakest emotion behind fear

Yeah... I was wrong. I apologize for alot of the dumbass posts ive made in this thread (this is not a joke). I strongly recommend reading that site if you can stomach his style of writing

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 5, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

T-man posted:

Ban everyone

consider: to autoban is to effectively ban everyone else from posting on SA with you

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Race Realists posted:

Upon further inspection on this site, I was wrong... About EVERYTHING with this guy.. I am a loving moron... I know you guys already know this but I'm saying it anyway. The guy is deeply knowledgeable about Dating & Relationships admittedly from a mostly CisHet perspective (if I could compare him to someone it would Dr.NerdLove).

.... He's just extremely.. abrasive in his style of writing. Take for instance this article

https://farfrombasyc.com/2019/12/are-men-scared-of-pussy.html

look at the title. "Are Today’s Men Scared of Pussy Part II: Rise of The Simp". Now, your first instinct (if youre an internet brain-poisoned weirdo like i am) is to immediately assume its some RooshV Return of Kings poo poo. But when you actually read article

Yeah... I was wrong. I apologize for alot of the dumbass posts ive made in this thread (this is not a joke). I strongly recommend reading that site if you can stomach his style of writing

What? That first article is caustic and only right about a sliver of people. gently caress that guy lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thotsky posted:

Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

Not sure what New Matt heralds for the show. Even though it is now clear that Old Matt was right, and Primary Matt was probably a mistake it would be difficult, inauthentic and slightly tired for them to just go back to their old ways. TrueAnon occupies that field now, and I believe Brace a lot more. Libs and "anti-fascist" are sort of holding their feet to the fire, making a black-pill turn somewhat more difficult, but honestly, by embracing the campaign the Chapos lost their outsider status so an attempt would feel pretty forced anyway.

They could look inward and do reading series shows about the beef the NYT has with them, but that would be really indulgent, and too similar to the feuding between Republican and Democrat media institutions, which they've made fun of in the past.

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

lmao source your quotes

thotsky posted:

I don't disagree, it was the move that made sense politically / morally, but it still hosed the show.

Taking pot shots from the sideline was a huge part of the show, and they did compromise their anti-establishement stance by going all in like that. They used to be very clear that their intent was never to be part of the discourse, but now they are. That has affected the show.

I think they could/should make an attempt at deescalating, and remind people of when the show used to be fun, and not a lifeline or ideological touchstone. I wish they would do, like, three Call of Cthulhu episodes in a row, dealing with anything but the Bernie thing. Even a Corona take could be alright, although some obscure Twitter thing might be better. Follow that with an interview with somebody engaging and irreverent, like, bring Zizek back on.

That's about the only thing that would bring me back unless they really revamp the format, even then they would have to find a new source of momentum than the Bernie campaign.

Oh

thotsky posted:

Firstly, an attempt to square their pre-primary insistence that the show is not activism, and just them screwing around with their engagement and largely uncritical coverage of the Bernie campaign. It was cool and good what they did, and shows do change, but I'm not entirely sure what that means for the show going forward.

Secondly, just me trying to give voice to my dissatisfaction with the show after the loss. Basically, I was largely happy with the new direction the show took during the primary, but somewhat blame them for making me care as much as I did now that it is over. I now question whether they should not have been more critical of both electorialism and the weaknesses of Bernie and his campaign as things developed, but I am for sure disappointed that ultimately they sort of just went away once the writing was on the wall, and in my opinion never really brought the fire.

For sure a lot of that is me projecting my disappointment with Bernie's capitulation and endorsement onto them, which I realize is unfair. Still, I had gotten used to having them give voice to a lot of my anger, and not getting much more than a wet fart of a post-mortem from them since it all went down really bummed me out. I expected something similar to how the trillbilly workers party handled it, or at the very least a re-run of New Years Eve Matt. It's just a lot of whiplash to go from the campaign to doing Star Wars prequel rifftrax.

Undue importance how? I'm really only saying they were important to me, and spaces like this thread. I sort of get you, but that dissonance between the people in the thread praising their involvement and those going "just a podcast lol" is sort of my first point. I think if one can say what they did was "admirable" then it is also okay to be disappointment with them for whatever reason; you lose that ironic detachment defense at that point.

Oh no

thotsky posted:

Even if, going forward, it turns out that Chapo content will be virtually indistinguishable from what it was like in say, 2018, which I'm sure most of the "hogs" would be happy with, that's actually kind of a horrible Lib view of the future in its own right. They aimed really high and fell short. That "return to normalcy" is such a sad thing to wish for.

If they were not surprised by the heel turn they could have made a bigger deal out of that possibility and what it would mean for the left before it happened, but even if they were caught off-guard by it letting it slide afterwards is sort of hypocritical. They rightfully roast Obama and the rest of the Democrats for trying to compromise with their ideological enemies every chance they get after all.

I dunno, maybe the primary thing just soured the show for me, or perhaps it's just been too many years of the same poo poo... or perhaps I'll get over it in a few weeks.

Oh noooooo

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mr. Lobe posted:

consider: to autoban is to effectively ban everyone else from posting on SA with you

I don't know how to autoban, can you show me how?? I'll tell my mod friends to unban you

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I guess I sort of went full circle from "be more funny" to "be more tankie". I think I'd prefer them to be either, but preferably both. Definitely don't want a kind of socdem/demsoc Daily Show / RedLetterMedia, which is where I see it going right now.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

T-man posted:

I don't know how to autoban, can you show me how?? I'll tell my mod friends to unban you

:raise:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can have friends you don't rent from a shady man wearing a silly hat

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lol this popped into my feed cause felix follows him

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1257803079577149447

Congrats Botsky, for being so weird online you're notable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to deeply apologize to everyone, it was wrong of me to try and steer this thread away from talking about the Star Wars prequels for 100 posts and back to talking about CTH. I am going to spend some time reflecting on what's important in life, like this.