Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

That scientist guy is the exact level of hot for a scandalous sex-haver scientist, definitely a 1 on the binary but isn't too hot that it would seem fake if he talked about antibodies and RNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Bloodly posted:

"Keep number from going down."

The human cost doesn't exist for them. Ride out the "-20% unhappiness for Y months".

But UK median income furloughed at 80% is ~£2000, and that's median not average so it's not like the pedophile class are throwing the numbers off hugely, if the maximum furlough rate was lowered to say £1700 that would save a loving ton off the furlough bill and wouldn't put a 2 parents working at minimum wage family into arrears, while lowering the rate to 60% absolutely would do that.

I know the human cost doesn't matter to them etc but it's such a boneheaded move, why not maintain the social stability at least?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Vitamin P posted:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rishi-sunak-furlough-plans-coronavirus-a4432181.html

Aside from 'tories hate the poor' is there any reason for lowering the overall furlough rate rather than lowering the maximum rate?

If someone is getting £2500 from furlough then they will almost certainly have some savings to fall back on, but if lower waged people are put on to 60% then that raises a ton of issues like monthly bills won't be met and food needs won't be met.
Tories don't hate the poor as such, they just don't want them getting ideas above their station, like "having enough money to both eat food and heat the house". It is well known that the poor, when exposed to such luxuries, become idle, they slack, they are unproductive. We could never build a new, improved, thrusting, dynamic, vibrant country with such people

it makes UBI look like something achievable, and UBI will lead to laziness and poverty of aspiration etc; it gets people into the habit of not working and having leisure, idle hands are the devil's playthings

loving hell the Tories suck

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Vitamin P posted:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rishi-sunak-furlough-plans-coronavirus-a4432181.html

Aside from 'tories hate the poor' is there any reason for lowering the overall furlough rate rather than lowering the maximum rate?

If someone is getting £2500 from furlough then they will almost certainly have some savings to fall back on, but if lower waged people are put on to 60% then that raises a ton of issues like monthly bills won't be met and food needs won't be met.

Some kind of plan to "Encourage"/force furloughed workers to look for jobs, and simultaneously encouraging (tory donor owned) companies that furloughed or laid off workers to bring people back at lower salaries?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

But UK median income furloughed at 80% is ~£2000, and that's median not average so it's not like the pedophile class are throwing the numbers off hugely, if the maximum furlough rate was lowered to say £1700 that would save a loving ton off the furlough bill and wouldn't put a 2 parents working at minimum wage family into arrears, while lowering the rate to 60% absolutely would do that.

I know the human cost doesn't matter to them etc but it's such a boneheaded move, why not maintain the social stability at least?

Because they probably think that it is an excellent opportunity to hurt people until they will work for lower wages.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

And since they're now bailing out landlords directly there's no point in giving money to the tenants. Much more efficient this way.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not sure you should bin your head epidemiologist in the middle of a pandemic for a PR fuckup.

Considering he was one of the reasons we didn't do absolutely nothing and become a failed plague state, this is worrying. He isn't there to inform our big brained ministers that letting the NHS collapse isn't going to improve the economy. They need clever people to remember that hospital beds are not infact infinite.

it's a bit more than a PR fuckup

when you have the guy who's supposed to be in charge of policy breaking lockdown it so he can get his rocks off it sends the message that actually the lockdown isn't really that important

and if everyone decides not to bother with staying indoors any more the whole situation will get extremely worse extremely fast

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not sure you should bin your head epidemiologist in the middle of a pandemic for a PR fuckup.

Considering he was one of the reasons we didn't do absolutely nothing and become a failed plague state, this is worrying. He isn't there to inform our big brained ministers that letting the NHS collapse isn't going to improve the economy. They need clever people to remember that hospital beds are not infact infinite.

they were pinning this on scientists from the beginning
"we're following the science, we always have been"
"the science has changed"
like they haven't actually been following any of it to any serious degree, they're just doing what they want and saying "we're just doing what the science says". When things start to look bad (and they already are, in terms of some amount of media backlash) who's gonna get the blame?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

biglads posted:

Check out Comrade Detective if you haven't already. It's ace.

That was excellent. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

it's a bit more than a PR fuckup

when you have the guy who's supposed to be in charge of policy breaking lockdown it so he can get his rocks off it sends the message that actually the lockdown isn't really that important

and if everyone decides not to bother with staying indoors any more the whole situation will get extremely worse extremely fast

If the media hadn't decided to make that One Hot Scientist a fake news story then the negative effect wouldn't have happened though and either way no one gives a gently caress, the people enjoying lockdown cause they finally get to spend time with their kids will still like lockdown and the people that hate lockdown cause their basic human needs can't be met or they're being abused will still hate lockdown.

It's not actually a thing. I'm broadly glad the good hot scientist is slaying puss but that minor interaction is less significant than 7 people not wearing gloves when they press the screen on the self checkout machine it's a loving irrelevance don't fall for this dumb poo poo it's literally propoganda.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Lockdown is being eased on Monday as a 'reward' for being good and staying indoors for the VE Day holiday. I have decided this, it's happening now.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Also the BBC site has finally acknowledged we're the deathiest country in Europe. Better late than never.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do self scan screens work with gloves on?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Do self scan screens work with gloves on?

Not with woolen gloves, yes with latex gloves, sometimes with the boom leather driving gloves my uncle got me for Christmas.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at the front pages, I think today might actually be the lowest point in British journalism history. On the plus side, I guess that means we can look forward to the new low in a week or two.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Vitamin P posted:

Not with woolen gloves, yes with latex gloves, sometimes with the boom leather driving gloves my uncle got me for Christmas.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I honestly just think is weird how cross you all are with the BBC. Like you get to be smarter than the people that tell everyone what to think... Well done?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I honestly just think is weird how cross you all are with the BBC. Like you get to be smarter than the people that tell everyone what to think... Well done?

poo poo troll attempt.

D-

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why are you posting

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1257804888567922695

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Might as well face it, you're addicted to fur-lough

If you're on mimimum wage above 25 the reduction would mean you have £732.20 a month coming in. If you're 18-20 you'd be getting £541 a month on the new rate. If people are working from home whilst under furlough I don't see how they can say you'd only be paid 60% of your wage, though I'm sure they'll wrangle it. Shame the country just loves the boot as stuff like this might piss people off.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You could say that about any organisation... Well done?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Do not, my friends, become addicted to wages. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 6, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A new bit of Unbuilt London I never knew about - Brutalist Whitehall, basically a proposal to wipe out everything between Downing Street and Parliament and replace it with Brutalist low-rises, from the architect of the Royal Festival Hall.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

justcola posted:

Might as well face it, you're addicted to fur-lough

If you're on mimimum wage above 25 the reduction would mean you have £732.20 a month coming in. If you're 18-20 you'd be getting £541 a month on the new rate. If people are working from home whilst under furlough I don't see how they can say you'd only be paid 60% of your wage, though I'm sure they'll wrangle it. Shame the country just loves the boot as stuff like this might piss people off.

You could say that about any organisation... Well done?

That's assuming anyone on minimum wage is working 40 hours a week. I'm on slightly over minimum wage and at the 60% rate last month I would've gotten £696 because it's a rolling average of your last 12 months payslips. So people who've gotten recent paycuts from reduced hours are going to see their furlough pay slowly decrease anyway as higher pay periods fall off the record and drop the average. Also you can't claim the furlough pay if you're doing work for your employer from home, because by definition if you're working you're not furloughed. This is why the whole "it's to encourage people back to work" line pisses me off, furloughed people aren't unemployed. We still have our jobs, the entire point of the scheme was to stop companies from just firing everyone.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm lucky enough to have been furloughed on full pay so far but if the scheme drops from 80 to 60 per cent I don't know how much longer the National Trust would be able to keep that up, the organisation is burning through cash reserves pretty fast as it is despite furloughing 80% of staff and scrapping pay rises.

I could lose 20% of pay and we'd just about get by. Dropping to 60% would be firmly into "how do we pay the mortgage" territory which is not an exciting prospect.

I'll just get another job though, I'm sure there are loads of people hiring, thanks Dishy Rishi for encouraging me to not be so feckless.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
loving hell, I can live off of 80% just about but 60% of minimum wage is going to be me absolutely hosed.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Vitamin P posted:

the people enjoying lockdown cause they finally get to spend time with their kids will still like lockdown

This is literally no-one with kids under the age of, ooh, about 20 fyi

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but my employer stated i can't get paid for another job whilst recieving furlough so wtf am i supposed to do to make up the money lost when it's decreased to 60%?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

This is literally no-one with kids under the age of, ooh, about 20 fyi

One of my brothers has an 8yo kid, another brother has 3 kids under 6. Their lockdown experiences have been very different

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A new bit of Unbuilt London I never knew about - Brutalist Whitehall, basically a proposal to wipe out everything between Downing Street and Parliament and replace it with Brutalist low-rises, from the architect of the Royal Festival Hall.

In these times I think maybe the part of Unbuilt London we need is the Pyramid of Death

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ash Crimson posted:

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but my employer stated i can't get paid for another job whilst recieving furlough so wtf am i supposed to do to make up the money lost when it's decreased to 60%?

Don't worry, you won't be able to get another job anyway.

Worry even less, though, because the point isn't to save money. It's to force people to go back to work despite the risk.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

Don't worry, you won't be able to get another job anyway.

Worry even less, though, because the point isn't to save money. It's to force people to go back to work despite the risk.

My work isn't going to open anytime soon, definitely not by July.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ash Crimson posted:

My work isn't going to open anytime soon, definitely not by July.

You of all people should not be labouring under the delusion that the government cares about the plans of your employer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

basically a proposal to wipe out everything between Downing Street and Parliament

:vince:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and replace it

:smith: ah nvm

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

You of all people should not be labouring under the delusion that the government cares about the plans of your employer.

I get that, but im effectively hosed

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Tories looking at the absolute shambles of the USA's 'coronavirus strategy' and asking, which of their innovative plans can we steal to further gently caress over the poor?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This is one of those times when I'm very glad that I work for the NHS.
Smug moral superiority is my reward 99% of the time, but having a reliable source of income is doing it right now.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

vaguely posted:

Tories looking at the absolute shambles of the USA's 'coronavirus strategy' and asking, which of their innovative plans can we steal to further gently caress over the poor?

The US are going to stop reporting deaths soon because number too high, no doubt we'll follow soon enough.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ash Crimson posted:

Your employer is lying to you, you can have multiple jobs and be furloughed (same as if I had 2 part time jobs, thats alright) plus - how they going to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal