Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Soricidus posted:

Yeah, legacy versions are worse, but there’s not much reason to not use the current LTS any more unless you’re stuck with a really janky legacy codebase, and if we managed to migrate to java 11 then anyone should be able to

Over here in the "data engineering" world Spark and Flink still use Java 8, which has stymied our migration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ryde posted:

Over here in the "data engineering" world Spark and Flink still use Java 8, which has stymied our migration.

The current release of Flink introduced support for running on java 11, and Spark preview builds now support it too, so there’s some hope on the horizon!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
holy poo poo, there's a java 11? the horror

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Yeah, legacy versions are worse, but there’s not much reason to not use the current LTS any more unless you’re stuck with a really janky legacy codebase, and if we managed to migrate to java 11 then anyone should be able to

Well, if you can do it, if the libraries you're using work, then sure, one should upgrade. There are plenty of corporations with old codebases that use old libraries that simply will not allow them to migrate that easily. Then you need to sell the migration to management, which is a project in and of itself. Just because you could migrate (incidentally, I did as well for one of my java projects) doesn't mean that others can.

dougdrums posted:

holy poo poo, there's a java 11? the horror

There's 14 released now. 15 coming this September. It's getting silly and I don't even try to keep up anymore. Every few years I look at what's up, what's the latest "long term support" version and I go with that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Volguus posted:

There's 14 released now. 15 coming this September. It's getting silly and I don't even try to keep up anymore. Every few years I look at what's up, what's the latest "long term support" version and I go with that.

They're trying to maintain their version lead on C# now that it's up to 8.0. Chrome-induced browser version inflation, programming language edition!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
lmao then what do java developers actually do now? just hook an iv up to their workstation and allow it to suck their blood for a salary?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

dougdrums posted:

lmao then what do java developers actually do now? just hook an iv up to their workstation and allow it to suck their blood for a salary?

not a bad way to spend the day, let me tell you that.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

donating semen and ovules also helps people and they pay better than blood

I heard they can pay up to 2000$ for your genetic code

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 2, 2020

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

dougdrums posted:

Somewhere along the way, almost everyone lost sight of the fact that all I, Jonathan Blow, wants to do is make 2D puzzle games. How complicated can that task be made? What's the upper bound before everything explodes and I can only make hot takes before being assed to actually understand it any more? I guess we found out.
In JBlow's perfect world when you go to StackOverflow all the answers to people's questions are just different sequences of POKE'ing magic numbers into other magic numbers

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

toiletbrush posted:

In JBlow's perfect world when you go to StackOverflow all the answers to people's questions are just different sequences of POKE'ing magic numbers into other magic numbers

nsfw tag this post

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There’s actually some nice changes in new Java versions like pattern matching for instanceof and switch expressions.

Value Inline Types also seem to be coming along nicely.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Improving Java is like sprinkling glitter on a turd

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

QuarkJets posted:

Improving Java is like sprinkling glitter on a turd

but enough about every programming language

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

there's nothing wrong with COBOL you just a BASIC bitch

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

there's nothing wrong with COBOL you just a BASIC bitch

It sucks when you drop your deck of punched cards.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How do you make an engineer cry? Make him drop a box of cards. :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

IBM ML34 Card Sorter scrub

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I know this is not news to anyone but holy poo poo the sheer awfulness of the windows 10 start menu search "engine" keeps astounding me in new and wonderful ways:

https://i.imgur.com/S7pvu4C.gifv

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Shut down Nvidia, cancel SIGGRAPH, throw away your shaders, Mr. Blow figured the whole loving thing out.

Edit:

LOL

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1255575781582856192

Mr. Visual Studio is too Bloated Because it Does Things Other than Debug C chimed in with some :wrong: and got schooled, too
https://twitter.com/bfod/status/1255718183765454849

Volte posted:

JBlow seems to want to be a revered Euclid-like figure in gamedev, the only problem is that it's hard to make waves by restating first principles these days. Please everyone, can we just forget everything we know and go back to the dark ages so I can be the one to take the pivotal first steps?

Look, JJ Abrams got to hit the reset button on the Star Trek universe so anything is possible

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NihilCredo posted:

I know this is not news to anyone but holy poo poo the sheer awfulness of the windows 10 start menu search "engine" keeps astounding me in new and wonderful ways:

What? That people who type `terminal` usually want the command prompt and those that want the terminal select it before typing the full word?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
No, it is terrible. Full match should be above aliases.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

duz posted:

What? That people who type `terminal` usually want the command prompt and those that want the terminal select it before typing the full word?

I dunno man having watched the average user interact with user interfaces maybe we shouldn't try and apply machine learning to simple UI components

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Xarn posted:

No, it is terrible. Full match should be above aliases.

It should probably be able to return results that aren't at the beginning of strings, too, but it can't even do that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/wakomeup/status/1257299480807956481

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

:hai:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

You're in a maze of twisty little compilers, all different.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I would love to have this problem when launching the windows terminal because the problem I instead have is that it all of a sudden just started immediately closing when it starts. Really liked using it too.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
my windows search does the same thing for some windows feature that I invoke all the time, can't remember what. exact match = like the third result down

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I think when searching 'wireshark', 'search web for wireshark' will be the first option and not, ya know, wireshark the installed program. I know there are a couple other where it'll do it too. I don't know what causes it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dumb Lowtax posted:

my windows search does the same thing for some windows feature that I invoke all the time, can't remember what. exact match = like the third result down

"Map network drive" does this for me

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
The worst is when the right match flashes by while you're typing. So "terminal" appears for "term", but by the time your muscle memory finishes typing "inal" it changed to some bullshit like "Watch Terminator on Amazon Prime".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The best support email ever

quote:

Good day,

We were wondering if there is a method exposed by the <name of software> SDK for doing a check if the <name of software> software is installed on a system.
While implementing the SDK we used a try catch for validating if <name of software> is installed, however we found out that this type of checking is not reliable.

Do you have any suggestions regarding how the check if <name of software> is installed using the SDK or without it?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

<name of person>

Is there a way of asking your software whether it's installed or not?

(The software in question has an SDK for extensibility purposes, which is exposed via COM)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
At last you've found the person who would find is_computer_on() useful.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If they're using a client library instead of talking COM directly, then a "is the program I'm trying to talk to even installed to begin with" function is an entirely reasonable thing for the client lib to have.

So it could be more of an attribution error.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're in a maze of twisty little compilers, all different.

There's nothing 'little' about the compilers.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been knocking on this door for hours to see if anyone is home but I don't get any answer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

fritz posted:

There's nothing 'little' about the compilers.

They bring me little enjoyment.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

Plorkyeran posted:

At last you've found the person who would find is_computer_on() useful.

Ah, my biennial reminder that everything2 existed and continues to exist.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Hammerite posted:

The best support email ever

Is there a way of asking your software whether it's installed or not?

(The software in question has an SDK for extensibility purposes, which is exposed via COM)

Can you install the SDK on its own though, without the software? It sounds like they're just asking whether the SDK itself has a convenient method they can leverage for detecting whether the software itself is installed. But I'm coming at this without knowing anything about the software obviously so who knows, I'm probably just sounding stupid also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I probably already shared the bug here...

I got a call from the customer. "Our site is full of cats!". I checked production, and it was real, every image was replaced by a photo of a cat. Article news, everything but icons and logos.

We quickly fixed it. In development we used https://placekitten.com/ to replace photos, and it was accidentally enabled in production.