Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

facetoucher cat posted:

So. Apparently I've lost my sense of taste and I don't mean because I'm wearing a bright yellow shirt that says I hate people but I can't taste anything and I told my husband about it and I guess I've been saying weird things like this XXX is bland or I need more spice after dousing something with cayenne pepper for 2 weeks. FML

I just noticed after making super sweet coffee and it tastes like water

I can still smell my cat's turd bombs so there's hope it's just something else. I really don't want to deal with this situation anymore :(

poo poo, that's a super huge sign. By itself with no other symptoms that would mean you have it.

God bless :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's also hard to accurately capture uncertainty on something like a lognormal distribution. The C-SPAM guesses had a huge long tail of guesses over 300k, but using one of the best distribution-agnostic confidence intervals (95% bootstrap confidence interval of the median) still gave a pretty compact range of 154000 - 186000, which isn't too dissimilar from what a lot of the epidemiological models show.

yeah I guess I just see people reacting like oh drat this model was off by double but it's like when you are trying to find the variables of an exponential growth thing, you don't have to have the number off by that much to have it be wrong by half or double afaik unless I'm misunderstanding

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So wait is Vitamin D deficiency causing worse Covid a thing?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

loving christ people still dress like that?

thank god they do, the entire perfect over-curated bland upscale normalcy of modern fashion is revolting, if you want to put effort into your look, look like THAT

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

fool.com

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
this is promising

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1257829291359903745?s=20

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1257832112222343170?s=20

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1257832813249921030?s=20

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1257833701788004354?s=20

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1257834477620953088?s=20

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

Here is the full set list for Trumps mask factory visit

https://twitter.com/zachjourno/status/1257791283214639106

I was promised industrial music with my lovely future. Where's the front 242, skinny puppy, coil, and my life with the thrill kill kult

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shovelbum posted:

thank god they do, the entire perfect over-curated bland upscale normalcy of modern fashion is revolting, if you want to put effort into your look, look like THAT

edgelord couture never changes

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Here is the yoga I did today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8uHMMmWMHQ

facetoucher cat posted:

He's over it all

:same:

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

medical updates from the poorest county in the nation with a population over 10k!

i am not madjackal, i am not covid frontline. instead i am getting to see what this has done to a poor community.

im doing a rotation for family medicine here. the clinic is small; it only has 7 beds. the regional hospital closed two years ago. we can't do any serious labs, and anything more complicated than an xray requires a 30 minute trip down to crossville.

75% of my patients are over 50 but look 70. All have chronic lung conditions and diabetes. All are smokers with terrible diets. Every single one is on a statin, an ace/arb, and metformin. All of them have to use the generics because they can't afford anything else.

we don't let them come into the clinic all at once. patients sit in their cars until their number is up, then a nurse brings them in. outside is just rows of beat down buicks and absurd trucks the driver likely owes more on than its worth. we don't know what we'll do when it gets hot; none of the patients can afford to burn the gas to keep the AC going, but they'll all get heat stroke if they sit in their cars. it's a future problem.

none have savings. all are paycheck to paycheck. there's no industry in this town. there's a shipping plant some 30 miles away but i don't think any of them work there. most of my patients around my age work in home health or as a cna. one told me today she worked a 122 hour shift last week at a retirement home because she missed the week before with a fever. she's taking care of her husband who has stage 4 chf, and is hoping soon to get her medical billing license so she can work from home and take better care of them.

They all ask me if they think this is as bad as the news makes it out to be. They ask me if they're being lied too. I've been telling them all it's worse. I don't know if I can do that anymore. These people have loving nothing. We mock people in this thread, but imagine someone on a fixed income living in a dilapidated house that the bank is just waiting to pounce on. Obviously they don't need to go out; none of these peopel would survive covid, but christ your heart melts.

speaking of meeting places, there's only two joints open in this town. Tennessee has done a weird soft open for restaurants as long as every other table is empty. One of the two places is called the Fresh Market. it's in a chevron gas station. I went there for lunch yesterday with my classmate. we were wearing scrubs.

they wouldn't let us pay for the meal. somebody in there had comped it. we were gonna get it to go but i told him we had to stay in and eat it there or else we it might look ungrateful. I actually got a pretty good salad. When we left, someone near the store stood up and thanked us.

The other open restaurant is on the other end of main street and is called west end diner. it's just an open space with some foldout tables pushed together. at the front there's a small counter with a register. the walls are empty except for random religious nick knacks like you get from wal mart. I got a cup of coffee there this morning. everyone stopped talking when i walked in. there was no music playing.

every other store on the main street is closed except for the store that sells flower bouquets. people don't stop dying. there's an american flag bouquet in the front window.

the wal mart is bad here. the parking lot lights don't work. no one parks in the spaces anyway. it's the town's only grocery store. there was a discount food place, but that's had to close since all the restaurants closed too. the wal mart is out of beef; i managed to score some cubed beef tonight which was one of the last things on the shelf. there's no rice. there's no cleaning supplies.

when im waiting in line, an attractive woman a little older than me says hello to someone else. She stands out. her body has all the right shapes, and not in a demeaning way. just that everyone else around her has osteoarthritis, or is so obese they kinda lose their form. Not this one. her hair has been combed. she has a good smile. she's literally glowing, like standing out among everyone else. she's beautiful.

"can't wait to see you back at church," she says to someone else. the person she's talking to is skinny, greasy haired, can't meet her gaze.

"yeah, i've been watching on youtube, what gets streamed." he's rubbing his arms. i can see the marks from across the self check out area. some are fresh. when you're malnourished you don't heal very well, especially when you're pumping meth into your arms. he's buying a case of mountain dew.

she just smiles at him, then offers to help someone else she sees from church.

on the way out i see a man completely hunched forward. he's leaning on his shopping cart for support. he's not as old as he looks. a red maga hat pulled low, uncut hair sprawling, "proud to be a deplorable" on his shirt. he can barely walk. he's bow legged and his shoes are falling apart.

this town isn't dying, it's dead. it was supported by a small group of people spending what little they could scratch and save, what little they got in fixed income, what little they could borrow from family, to keep a pitiful little economy going. no money was coming in here before. it was just swirling in a circle, like when you pull the plug on a drain. and that last bit seems to spin and spin, and then suddenly it vanishes. and it never comes back.

There's gotta be hundreds of counties just like this all over America.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/InsiderFood/status/1257702343417761793

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Pyrus Malus posted:

has anybody posted about how the IHME model, the one that's ridiculously insanely optimistic and the one people were getting the "60k by august" figure from, just quietly more than doubled their death predictions by august 4th? lmao it's at like 135k right now and I still think that's considered some realass optimism

yeah we talked about this extensively like 2 days ago or whenever it was updated.

Even with continued shutdown, this thing would still have dragged out; I think we're seeing maybe a 50 per week death decrease on average, which is still above the updated IHME model by a bit. With reopening who the gently caress knows what is gonna happen

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hillary 2020 posted:

There are! Welcome to the Appalachias.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Hillary 2020 posted:

yes something like 50% of all counties in america

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Koirhor posted:

So wait is Vitamin D deficiency causing worse Covid a thing?

I've not heard anything about this but older women are sometimes vit d deficient and it can contribute to osteoporosis so with the leaps of logic I just made wouldn't more older women be impacted

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

My wife came back from the local grocery and found out one of the 30 yo checkout clerks died from Coronavirus.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KaptainKrunk posted:

yeah we talked about this extensively like 2 days ago or whenever it was updated.

Even with continued shutdown, this thing would still have dragged out; I think we're seeing maybe a 50 per week death decrease on average, which is still above the updated IHME model by a bit. With reopening who the gently caress knows what is gonna happen

The model was always bad and will always be bad because it assumes the curve will be symmetric, and had a bunch of really dumb assumptions like "if a place doesn't currently have an outbreak it won't have one at all!!"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
counties like that should be reclaimed as wilderness or human-food agriculture if they're not supporting some important but depressing local industry, there's no argument for inhabiting rural areas w no economy where everyone is sick and old and depressing, from an efficiency/climate (the same thing) standpoint whatsoever.

its a loving settler state theres no "family ties"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

yes something like 50% of all counties in america

It is truly incredible just how much of the country is just empty land that should remain so. So many dying small towns consisting only of the elderly and people too poor and unlucky to ever find a way out.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FAUXTON posted:

none more goth

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shipon posted:

It is truly incredible just how much of the country is just empty land that should remain so. So many dying small towns consisting only of the elderly and people too poor and unlucky to ever find a way out.

also some of the ppl are just too goddamn godawful stupid to find a way out, especially if they have buckets and buckets of white priv

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

leave me alone bitch

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well good on that guy for being able to fit into those same clothes after like 18 years

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Maybe the vit d thing is real and the other reason smokers are being able to fight this off is because they go outside so often to smoke and are getting more real vit d from the sun

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

shovelbum posted:

counties like that should be reclaimed as wilderness or human-food agriculture if they're not supporting some important but depressing local industry, there's no argument for inhabiting rural areas w no economy where everyone is sick and old and depressing, from an efficiency/climate (the same thing) standpoint whatsoever.

its a loving settler state theres no "family ties"

Sometimes it's because it's all you know. Sometimes it's because the only ties you have are to the land, sometimes it's because you own the land you're on and would be homeless anywhere else.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Sometimes it's because the only ties you have are to the land, sometimes it's because you own the land you're on and would be homeless anywhere else.

im not talking about the reservations, im talking about settlers. no ties to the land, no legit claim to the land, lmao

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shovelbum posted:

also some of the ppl are just too goddamn godawful stupid to find a way out, especially if they have buckets and buckets of white priv

Wow i can't believe Moviebob made an account here, cool dude, talk more about how Marvel movies are peak culture while we need to exterminate the poor and undeserving subhuman white rurals.

That destitute rural family making 20k a year or on SSI does not have "buckets and buckets of white privilege", this is some liberal The Root tier horseshit.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is literally “brain damaged”

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Shipon posted:

good thing there isn’t a pandemic ready to burn through their dying towns and gently caress people over just one more time. hopefully after lockdowns are lifted, one final parting shot to the horse that capitalism already beat to death

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like have you ever walked into a walmart and had to help two geriatric greeters trying to separate a stuck cart from the front row while a karen looks on because she doesn't want to do it herself?

have you ever had them look at you gratefully because they're on a fixed income and they're probably supporting a loved one who's succumb to meth?

have you ever had this loving karen look at you and say "oh wow you're strong!" before reaching across one of the elderly people to grab a wipe from the wall dispenser, washing down the handle, and then handing it to the same greeter she reached across?

THIS IS NOT loving RIGHT

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

rona ain't going out without bagging a trophy

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1257836677453819912?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm going to one-up him and just dump it on the floor

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

that Twitter is full of these ghoulish articles

“Why you don’t want to retire anyway(not just because you can’t)”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol in cspam the actual news hits and then the dumbass headlines come in like a tsunami afterwards because those are always worse and cspam is nothing if not a sandpaper circlejerk

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

how am I supposed to mime eating rear end with this?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

it's happening

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what the gently caress goes wrong in people's brains that makes them not care about others

besides money

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

The Motley Fool is an investment site (ofc) but lmao I guess I never realized their url was just fool

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nice just in time to short circuit one of the strongest talking points shitlibs have for why we HAVE to support joe biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

snoo posted:

what the gently caress goes wrong in people's brains that makes them not care about others

besides money

Being abused as children :(